GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2024 10:22 pm  #81

Re: The March Madness Thread

DC Native wrote:

Great comeback by Howard, DC’s only rep in this year’s tournament. Too bad they couldn’t hit that final shot despite getting 3 attempts…

Great comeback though

Colorado State blowing UVA out of the building.  What a joke UVA getting picked was.  Bad computer awful KenPom weak resume terrible eye test

All 6 Mountain West teams quite legit

3/20/2024 8:47 am  #82

Free Quebec wrote:

Virginia embarrassing the committee.

I mean, thank goodness they didn’t put the team who is #1 in the nation in effective FG% in the tourney because watching Virginia fail to score for 13 minutes is way better. We all know a mediocre ACC team is better than an MVC team that gets few chances to impress while winning 30 games in incredible fashion.

Literally the worst basketball performance I've seen all year, including all the terrible GW games in A-10 season. How anyone pays money to watch UVA basketball is beyond me. I guess it's cheaper than a root canal, but just as painful.

3/20/2024 9:18 am  #83

The committee isn't making decisions based on teams who shoot the best or those that are the most aesthetically pleasing to watch.  Out of conference, Indiana State lost at Alabama and at Michigan State, each  by double figures.  Meanwhile, out of conference, UVA beat Florida, beat Texas A &M, and in conference, beat Clemson and split in the regular season with NC State.  UVA's wins, specifically out of conference, are much better.

In fact, I'm perplexed (though I'm really not) as to how Indiana State has a NET in the high 20's.  They went 1-4 in Q1 games, 4-1 in Q2, 10-0 in Q3 and 12-1 in Q4.  The reason I'm really not perplexed by this is because they beat up on inferior teams, which the NET acknowledges and rewards.  Am convinced that if ISU had beaten Drake in the MVC title game, Drake with its 4-1 record in Q1 games would have received an at large.  Indiana State is undoubtedly fun to watch but their NET ranking, IMO, was a bit of a mirage.  UVA was arguably more deserving but how terrible they looked last night is in fact inarguable.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/20/2024 9:19 am)

3/20/2024 12:24 pm  #84

Free Quebec wrote:

Virginia embarrassing the committee. 

I mean, thank goodness they didn’t put the team who is #1 in the nation in effective FG% in the tourney because watching Virginia fail to score for 13 minutes is way better.  We all know a mediocre ACC team is better than an MVC team that  gets few chances to impress while winning 30 games in incredible fashion.

Exhibit a right there ^^^

They have come for virtually all of the at large bids already and people notice how cleaned out the NIT was?  Virtually every game was mediocre power fives.   Out of 16 teams I believe UC Irvine was the only legitimately Small program.   Richmond and Cornell was about the next.   NIT a field of a lot of regular season champions that lost in their conference tournament from various smaller leagues.  Now it's Boston college versus a Providence team that best player refused to play and their actual best player out for the season with an injury!

Now if you listen to ESPN or CBS sports there was very little complaining if any about this in fact there was more complaining that the Mountain West got six teams in!  Meanwhile Colorado State waxed UVA, and look at their resume they did it to a lot of power schools and yet here they are in the play-in game??

Boise State tonight also is in the play game? 

Funny thing is, the only non Power 5 they did right by was the Atlantic 10!  Which not only got two teams in but both teams appear to be slightly overseeded!!

Last edited by The Dude (3/20/2024 12:33 pm)

3/20/2024 1:31 pm  #85

As much as it pains me to say this, betting against the A-10 in the postseason seems to have been a wise investment over the past several years.

3/20/2024 2:25 pm  #86

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

As much as it pains me to say this, betting against the A-10 in the postseason seems to have been a wise investment over the past several years.

Yeah, I mean I just don't see either Dayton (injuries) or the Dukes (6th in A10) reaching the second round. I think Dayton was extremely overseeded, especially with the last 3 of their last 6 games { loss @ Mason, @ Loy-Chi, and vs. Duquesne). The Cinderella story is there for Dambrot, but they just don't pass the eye test against real competition. But hey, it's March, I'd love to be and most likely will be embarrassingly incorrect. 

3/20/2024 3:38 pm  #87

districthoops wrote:

Yeah, I mean I just don't see either Dayton (injuries) or the Dukes (6th in A10) reaching the second round. I think Dayton was extremely overseeded, especially with the last 3 of their last 6 games { loss @ Mason, @ Loy-Chi, and vs. Duquesne). The Cinderella story is there for Dambrot, but they just don't pass the eye test against real competition. But hey, it's March, I'd love to be and most likely will be embarrassingly incorrect. 

I was wondering how the A10 has done in the Tourney, always hard to find that data.  

The data below is a few years old now, but close to .500 is the answer.  Adding in the recent results, from the top of the head, Hurley's Rhode Island teams won back to back round 1 games, Richmond won in 2022 (2 games?) and I think bagels for the league in 2021 and 2023.  Dayton never got to play as the #1 seed in 2020

As for this Dayton team, slumped down the stretch losing a bunch of close games but they still have top 25 computer rankings and did very well in the OOC.   If you want to see how unfair the seeding is for ALL teams outside of the Power 5 and it gets more and more ridic as you get to smaller and smaller conferences, why is Duquesne seeded 11 over teams 30 spots ahead of them,  James Madison, McNeese and Grand Canyon?  
Just because of "who did you play"  criteria.  Who did Duquense beat? no one really but played more Quad 1 and 2 games obviously.     

Here's the most recent data I could find showing every conference in the NCAA Tourney:  A10 88-98 as of a few years ago, Pretty darn good for a non Power 5. How many of those games was the A10 the higher seed? I'd think 20-30%

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-02-28/how-every-conference-has-fared-march-madness-1985

3/21/2024 9:37 am  #88

The Dude wrote:

districthoops wrote:

I was wondering how the A10 has done in the Tourney, always hard to find that data.  

The data below is a few years old now, but close to .500 is the answer.  Adding in the recent results, from the top of the head, Hurley's Rhode Island teams won back to back round 1 games, Richmond won in 2022 (2 games?) and I think bagels for the league in 2021 and 2023.  Dayton never got to play as the #1 seed in 2020

As for this Dayton team, slumped down the stretch losing a bunch of close games but they still have top 25 computer rankings and did very well in the OOC.   If you want to see how unfair the seeding is for ALL teams outside of the Power 5 and it gets more and more ridic as you get to smaller and smaller conferences, why is Duquesne seeded 11 over teams 30 spots ahead of them,  James Madison, McNeese and Grand Canyon?  
Just because of "who did you play"  criteria.  Who did Duquense beat? no one really but played more Quad 1 and 2 games obviously.     

Here's the most recent data I could find showing every conference in the NCAA Tourney:  A10 88-98 as of a few years ago, Pretty darn good for a non Power 5. How many of those games was the A10 the higher seed? I'd think 20-30%

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-02-28/how-every-conference-has-fared-march-madness-1985

Dude, if you'd like to know why I consider you to be a troll, it's because you repetitively ask the same questions, day after day, year after year, and when individuals take the time to answer you, you choose to ignore the responses and go back to incredulously wondering about the same things which have already been answered.

I'm willing to state that there is nobody here who thinks that the selection process for the tournament doesn't favor P6 schools or that the selection process is fair to midmajor and smaller schools.  This year saw 8 at large bids to non P6 schools (unless I am forgetting anyone, 5 Mountain West Schools plus Dayton, Florida Atlantic and Gonzaga).  This represents over 20% of the at-large slots.  Should this percentage be much larger than this?  If this number was closer to 40%, would this be palatable to you?  Indiana State is incredibly fun to watch but with a 1-4 record in Q1 games and not an overly impressive OOC schedule, were they really ripped off?  Because of their NET which was largely due to their blowing out inferior opponents?

The Sunday games of Selection Sunday largely have zero impact on seeding.  Nobody feels Duquesne is worthy of an 11 seed; they should be around a 13.  But the committee goes to bed Saturday night saying that the VCU-Duquesne winner gets the 11 and the loser is out.  They do not take the time to build contingencies based on which team wins.  Obviously, this would not have been the case if the teams were very far apart, like if Duquesne met Dayton in the final.  But as long as VCU and Duquesne were "close enough" to one another, there's nothing more to this than the winner gets the 11.  It has nothing to do with whether the committee thinks Duquesne is better than James Madison, McNeese, Samford, or anyone else.

My hope is that you'll start to retain pieces of information like this so that you don't keep asking the same tired things next year.  I am not exactly holding my breath.

3/21/2024 10:42 am  #89

Happy holidays everyone; let's enjoy the games and hope GW will be part of it sometime this century. 

3/21/2024 11:24 am  #90

Let the Madness begin!

Very early in this game but why would anyone pick against Tom izzo in the tournament in an 8-9 matchup?

Amazing how come March his teams always seem to be able to flip a switch

I thought easy to pick Michigan State here but if I'm wrong you can blame it on my translator!

3/21/2024 1:14 pm  #91

Duquesne looking good, and the announcers are clearly not happy about it.

3/21/2024 1:59 pm  #92

The Dukes beat 6 seed BYU!!  Dae Dae Grant seals the deal at the line ice water veins. 

47 years in the making 

The A10 is off and running in the NCAA Tourney.    The retiring Dambrot and his Dukes Squad Marching on!!

3/21/2024 2:01 pm  #93

Great win for the Dukes and the A10! Let’s go Dayton!

3/21/2024 2:04 pm  #94

Good for Duquesne. Their fans needed more relief than us. Positive for A10.

3/21/2024 2:11 pm  #95

Way to go Duquesne!!!  Can’t even remember last A10 win in the tourney.   Now let’s go Dayton.

3/21/2024 2:16 pm  #96

Way to go Duquesne!!! Can’t even remember last A10 win in the tourney. Now let’s go Dayton.

Richmond in 2022 beat #5 seed Iowa 

Davidson lost to  Michigan St, 74-73 that year and Dayton was the last team out of the tourney.  

3/21/2024 4:15 pm  #97

Last six NCAA Tournaments before this season
A-10 had just four wins going 4-12 with a forfeit.  Per the seed line of first round games, the A-10 should have won just three games which is what it has done (not incl SBU which won a PIG game versus the same # seed).

2023 #12 VCU lost to St Mary's 63-51
2022 #10 Davidson lost to Mich State 74-73 | #12 Richmond beat Iowa 67-63 - Lost to Providence 79-51
2021 #9 SBU lost to LSU 76-61 | #10 VCU forfeited
2020 Cancelled due to Covid
2019 #13 St Louis lost to Va Tech 66-52 | #8 VCU lost to UCF 73-58
2018 #11 SBU beat UCLA in PIG 65-58 - lost to Florida 77-62 | #12 Davidson lost to Kentucky 78-73 | #7 URI beat Oklahoma 83-78 - lost to Duke 87-62
2017 #10 VCU lost to St Mary's 85-77 | #11 URI beat Creighton 84-72 - lost to Oregon 75-72 | #7 Dayton lost to Wichita St 64-58

Last edited by TJT85 (3/21/2024 4:24 pm)

3/21/2024 4:27 pm  #98

I went back to 2015-2016  A-10 has a  5-15 record (not counting the VCU forfeit), with no appearances beyond the round of 32  FYI...After Richmond beat Iowa, they lost the next game to Providence by 28.  The A-10 has hardly distinguished itself in the tournament in quite some time.   

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/21/2024 4:28 pm)

3/21/2024 4:28 pm  #99

Dayton looks really sloppy against Nevada

3/21/2024 4:34 pm  #100

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

Dayton looks really sloppy against Nevada

They started strong, and then just fell apart…

Board footera