GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2024 10:00 am  #81

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal Szn

moneybox wrote:

Obviously, Caputo took too many chances this season in bringing in new players. Zamoku-Weluch Ume and Benny Schroeder were too raw to really contribute. Antoine Smith mostly fouled our opponents. Stretch got off to a fine start and then was intimidated once league games began.Coach also should have paid more attention to the fact that he barely played at Auburn and scored literally nothing.Obviously, Garrett Johnson was a health gamble and we can only hope that he is able to contribute next season and beyond. Keegan Harvey is another example of the kind of big man we too often bring in--he couldn't even get in the game when the team was down 40 in the first half against LaSalle or St. Joes. It's great that Buchanan is coming back and we can only hope that Autry and Hutchinson also return. Coach has to do a much better job with transfers and recruits for next season---no easy task considering the way the second half of the season went. Also, all the coaches need to improve in their jobs--literally no significant adjustments were made during the final 15 games of the season! Finally II'm tired of hearing that we can't recruit quality big men. Literally every team we played this season--large or small--had better big men than we did.

1. CC recruited last year with virtually no NIL money. Tough when kids we want are going to Georgetown or Providence for 200K or even to UMass or URI for more money.
2. CC also recruited under a different set of assumptions - the one time transfer rule. Had that rule remained in place Max would likely still be here for example and the core of this team would likely grow up together nd develop.
3. Keegan Harvey was not recruited by CC
4. Akingbola - see point #1. With no money what did you expect? The second coming of Wilt Chamberlain? A good post goes for $150-200k or more in this portal these days.
5. You must not have been watching much of the last 15 games. Plenty of adjustments were made. The problem was that you had limited ability to execute them effectively because of talent deficiencies/injuries/youth.
6. GW was 2-2 against the final four of the A-10 tourney with a 2-point loss and a 4-point loss both on the road later in the season. We also played Loyola fairly tough. The gap is not as wide as you or others seem to think. Yes, we need a couple of posts and another guard/wing to make the jump.

3/21/2024 11:40 am  #82

Thanks GWRising, I was thinking the same thing.  Max will likely go to the highest bidder, as is the case with most folks in the portal. Based on the NIL market price for A10 level talent, I am guessing we will need a $500K - $1M annual NIL budget at a minimum to compete in the top half of the A10. Give what you can to the NIL if you want more talent, it is that simple.  

3/21/2024 12:17 pm  #83

The founder of the Friends of George said they raised in the mid-six digits last year on the call.  That's something.

3/21/2024 1:33 pm  #84

Any rules about kids collecting NIL money from one school then transferring and collecting another big NIL payment, then transferring again and doing the same thing?  Joe Ban transferred 3 times, could be a millionaire now if NIL was in place in his earlier transfers.

3/21/2024 1:39 pm  #85

BC wrote:

Any rules about kids collecting NIL money from one school then transferring and collecting another big NIL payment, then transferring again and doing the same thing?  Joe Ban transferred 3 times, could be a millionaire now if NIL was in place in his earlier transfers.

Nope!  All of these deals are basically one-year contracts.

At lot of them are structured so the payout isn't all at once. You might get something like 25% after enrolling, 25% after the OOC, 50% after the conference tournament.

3/21/2024 1:59 pm  #86

BM wrote:

The founder of the Friends of George said they raised in the mid-six digits last year on the call.  That's something.

It is until you consider that the top 6 Big East teams averaged $2 million in NIL and 3 of those didn't qualify for the NCAA tournament. It is until you realize you have to raise the money every year not just one year.

3/21/2024 2:21 pm  #87

I think the hope should just be to stay in line with the median A-10 team in NIL.  Big East is gonna Big East.  But yeah, I think the most challenging part is this money is needed every year.

3/21/2024 3:25 pm  #88

GWRising: If you think those problems are enough to explain losing 14 out of 15, you don't expect much at all from the coach. In fact, all you have done is make excuses for him. You are the one that must have missed all the second half games.because I thought we were watching the movie "Groundhog Day" on a basketball court!

3/21/2024 3:29 pm  #89

A follow up. If the NIL money gap makes it impossible for us to compete, maybe we should give up the program and just focus on intramurals.

3/21/2024 3:58 pm  #90

Most of us knew the NIL would effectively be free agency and we would not be able to compete.  

3/21/2024 4:17 pm  #91

Rising, get real. GW has historically had very little alumni support (in terms of $) in men's basketball (or in any GW sport).
Why should it surprise anybody that after what we have been through in the last 8 years big alumni donors will suddenly start donating the big bucks. NLI is no different.
Let's start getting more than a few hundred people to attend games before using our lack of NLI as an excuse. News Flash: we need to put a better product on the floor before people want to take the time and money to come see us play. This has been the case for years. It takes investment by the university to accomplish this and get a return on their investment (like Dayton and others).
Siena heard the message and bit the bullet with Carm (and the 2 years he had left on his contract) in fear of losing all their season ticket holders  (and their $). GW can't and won't do the same. Is it due to GW's financial situation right now? That's a topic up for debate.

3/21/2024 4:33 pm  #92

I may not have the most sophisticated eye for the game, but I did not see much adjustment on the offensive end.  I saw very little ball rotation, too many 3s taken early in the shot clock and too much of one person handling the ball (generally Bishop) with 4 players standing around.   The assist to turnover ration did pick up some towards the end of the season, but thar likewise was deficient.  

3/21/2024 5:19 pm  #93

moneybox wrote:

GWRising: If you think those problems are enough to explain losing 14 out of 15, you don't expect much at all from the coach. In fact, all you have done is make excuses for him. You are the one that must have missed all the second half games.because I thought we were watching the movie "Groundhog Day" on a basketball court!

it's easy to live in fantasy land Moneybox. It's easy to put your two cents here. Maybe you should try a reality based approach. Yes, taken together lack of NIL money leads to lack of experienced talent and depth which when coupled with youth and key injuries leads to a lot of losses. Other than Bishop, please tell me which GW player had real college playing experience coming into 2023-24? One: Max. So two players on the entire roster! Nevertheless, we were in most A-10 games. Just had a lot of trouble closing. St. Joe's, La Salle 2x, Fordham, Duquesne, St. Louis - all were winnable games. Most were later in the season. So there was improvement down the stretch. 

3/21/2024 5:24 pm  #94

Joel Joseph wrote:

Rising, get real. GW has historically had very little alumni support (in terms of $) in men's basketball (or in any GW sport).
Why should it surprise anybody that after what we have been through in the last 8 years big alumni donors will suddenly start donating the big bucks. NLI is no different.
Let's start getting more than a few hundred people to attend games before using our lack of NLI as an excuse. News Flash: we need to put a better product on the floor before people want to take the time and money to come see us play. This has been the case for years. It takes investment by the university to accomplish this and get a return on their investment (like Dayton and others).
Siena heard the message and bit the bullet with Carm (and the 2 years he had left on his contract) in fear of losing all their season ticket holders  (and their $). GW can't and won't do the same. Is it due to GW's financial situation right now? That's a topic up for debate.

Joel, this is not your father's Oldsmobile. In order to win these days, you need NIL money. At GW, it's hard to get NIL money unless you win. Older experienced teams win these days. But you can't get older and experienced in the transfer portal era unless you can attract older and experienced players with NIL money.. Coaching is now way overrated. It's the Jimmies and the Joes that matter most in mercenary basketball.

3/21/2024 5:51 pm  #95

Rising, I want your job (or lack thereof) that allows you to spend all day on GWHoops posting and responding to everyone who disagrees with you. 
Are you another alias that dude is using? lol.
You state the obvious. Yopu can't get NIL money unless you win. I'll take a leap here and add: you can't recruit good players consistently unless you win (or show an upward projection year to year). You can't get fans, students, alum, etc to attend unless you win or show an upward trajectory year to year.

CC is entering his 3rd year next season. The honeymoon (and excuses) are over. He needs to perform and improve or he will be gone (in a normal situation, but maybe not here at GW because we can't afford to buy out our 4th coach in 8 years). I'm sure CC knows this and wouldn't expect anything less.

Raise High (just a little)!

3/21/2024 6:10 pm  #96

Rising: Amazing that you haven't said one negative thing about a coach that lost 14 out of the last 15 games! Again if it's all about NIL money, maybe we should scrap the progam altogether! By the way, I would be surprised if a team like Duquesne-- which hasn't won in the big dance in 54 years-- is loaded with NIL money, Also GW at the moment isn't rising. .

3/21/2024 6:17 pm  #97

Coaching is way overrated! With the overall quality of recruits GW has always had--I've been following the team for 59 years--it needs a terrific coach first and foremost to coach players up. Overall the GW head coaches over the years have for the most part been lacking. I hope Caputo is the guy, but the jury is surely still out.

3/21/2024 6:23 pm  #98

In order to help with our NIL money I will donate at least $1,000,000 after I win the Powerball drawing tomorrow night. That should help

3/21/2024 6:26 pm  #99

moneybox wrote:

Coaching is way overrated! With the overall quality of recruits GW has always had--I've been following the team for 59 years--it needs a terrific coach first and foremost to coach players up. Overall the GW head coaches over the years have for the most part been lacking. I hope Caputo is the guy, but the jury is surely still out.

Ok but now coaches who “coach players up” lose them to another school offering $250,000.

Let’s see what kind of team he can assemble now that we can offer some cash for some experienced players.

3/22/2024 9:18 am  #100

Joel Joseph wrote:

Yopu can't get NIL money unless you win.

Georgetown hasn't won shit and has been a worse team than GW the past two seasons and their NIL war chest is rumored in the $4-5 million range for next season.  George Mason is an irrelevant program in the A-10 and probably has 2x the NIL budget we have (including an alum who gives players cars through his dealership).

If our alumni want to change the trajectory of the program, just pay for kids to come to GW.  The best part is you can circumvent the AD and other school administrators that seem to be the excuse for why people don't donate money anymore.

Board footera