GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2024 5:48 pm  #61

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

Not at all FQ. It's been a decade since we were even in the NCAA's, though we did win the NIT
to our delight.
Imagine the majority on this board would settle for losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament. In our case, it would be a great accomplishment.

3/27/2024 6:29 pm  #62

Kelsey to Louisville

Richard Pitino have been a candidate but pulled out.   

McCaffrey's son is in the portal how often do you see a son transferring away from the father?

3/29/2024 12:09 am  #63

Dru Jones III the next head coach of Duquesne

Looks like a good hire

3/29/2024 9:15 am  #64

Gerry McNamara replaces Carm at Siena

4/02/2024 12:55 pm  #65

Chris Mack to the College of Charleston.  Kind of like a Kelsey for Mack trade between Charleston and Louisville, if Louisville fans are willing to ignore Kenny Payne's 12-52 record over the past two seasons, along with his $7.25 million buyout.

Congratulatory tweet from Mike Lonergan to Gerry McNamara which amounted to a not so thinly veiled shot at Carm.  "Congrats Gerry!  You will quickly get that storied program back on track."

Can't say I blame him.

4/02/2024 3:07 pm  #66

One of our posters previously referred to Carm as "boy wonder" after finding limited success with JC's Siena players his 1st 2 years there. That same dude didn't mention Carm once this past 4 win season.

Mayhem, I wouldn't read too much into ML's McNamara text. Lonergan was known to be tight with Hopkins from his Syracuse coaching days and Mcnamara was one of Hopkins main recruits.

I think Gerry Mc will do very well at Siena. Well enough to prove his ability and then move up the "food chain" of coaching. 

4/02/2024 3:36 pm  #67

Gwmayhem wrote:

Chris Mack to the College of Charleston.  Kind of like a Kelsey for Mack trade between Charleston and Louisville, if Louisville fans are willing to ignore Kenny Payne's 12-52 record over the past two seasons, along with his $7.25 million buyout.

Congratulatory tweet from Mike Lonergan to Gerry McNamara which amounted to a not so thinly veiled shot at Carm.  "Congrats Gerry!  You will quickly get that storied program back on track."

Can't say I blame him.

Great hire by Charleston. Mack amd Kelsey are basically best friends, so I’m sure that was the mapping on that one.

With all these coaches that had “issues” getting second chances, you have to wonder why ML never got one and isn’t ever mentioned as getting another shot. Maybe you have to read between the lines of thinly veiled tweets to find the answer. 😊😊

Last edited by Alum1 (4/02/2024 3:42 pm)

4/02/2024 4:31 pm  #68

Joel Joseph wrote:

One of our posters previously referred to Carm as "boy wonder" after finding limited success with JC's Siena players his 1st 2 years there. That same dude didn't mention Carm once this past 4 win season.

Mayhem, I wouldn't read too much into ML's McNamara text. Lonergan was known to be tight with Hopkins from his Syracuse coaching days and Mcnamara was one of Hopkins main recruits.

I think Gerry Mc will do very well at Siena. Well enough to prove his ability and then move up the "food chain" of coaching. 

Siena should be one of the top programs in the MAAC year in and year out. Carm took a great situation (talent he inherited from JC) and unfortunately squandered it quickly. AD was warned not to hire Carm so I'm told but the City Rocks guys put the full court press on and AD folded. The rest is now history. McNamara should do well there. There is only one direction ... up.

4/02/2024 5:32 pm  #69

I have loosely followed Siena since the Patsos days. I was a little surprised by their fans reaction to both Carm and the AD this year. They have clearly run out of patience up there. Despite having to pay off Carm's buyout, I applaud the school for listening to the fans and alums and pulling the trigger. From the sound of it, the AD will be "retiring" soon.

4/02/2024 6:51 pm  #70

Speaking of retiring and with more than a passing nod to our former situation, turn down the NIT at your peril
if you are an Atlantic 10 Athletic Director.
https://apnews.com/article/bonaventure-athletic-director-manhertz-resigns-9c287161c97e947de6247686680d2b4b

4/02/2024 10:02 pm  #71

jf wrote:

Speaking of retiring and with more than a passing nod to our former situation, turn down the NIT at your peril
if you are an Atlantic 10 Athletic Director.
https://apnews.com/article/bonaventure-athletic-director-manhertz-resigns-9c287161c97e947de6247686680d2b4b

Will be interesting to hear what was really going on there. Was turning down an NIT bid itself a silver bullet? Or the straw that broke the camel’s back? 

I know this is probably not realistic, but if the NCAA really cares about preserving the value of the NIT as an asset, they need to put some penalty behind the process so what not say if you turn down am NCAA bid without severely extenuating circumstances, then you will be excluded from being considered for an At-Large bid next year. That should put some asses on planes.

4/03/2024 9:26 am  #72

This is really a head scratcher.  The AD is a fundraising expert who was doing fine in that area at SBU.  Supposedly, the decision not to play in the NIT came from the President and the AD, with input from the coaching staff.  The players did not find out about this until three days later which the president profusely apologized about.  Then the AD abruptly resigns?

More to the story, I am sure.  Sure sounds like the players may have been willing to play.  No matter how you slice it, this was an epic fail in communications and getting everyone on the same page.

Am not sure if, how or why any AD can unilaterally make this decision without the team's input.  Somewhat reminiscent of Nero's attempt to turn down the NIT as part of his ongoing struggles with Lonergan.  

4/03/2024 11:53 am  #73

Nice find JF.
Does anyone really believe Mark Schmidt was consulted about this decision and kept it from his players?
The 2 big differences between this situation and GW's back in 2016 is:
1. Bonnies AD was butt-hurt about not making the NCAA  (he's acting as if the Bonnies are a Power6 team, like in his Duke days).
2. With Nero, it was retaliation for Lonergan having him banned from the 2015-2016 team.

4/04/2024 2:58 pm  #74

Eric Musselman to USC

3 straight Sweet 16s the prior 3 years including back to back  Elite 8 trips 

4/06/2024 11:58 am  #75

Expect Assistant coach Boisvert to be hired by Josh Schertz at SLU. Huge loss

4/06/2024 12:20 pm  #76

That stinks. He was an assistant at Indiana State before coming to GW. SLU definitely  pays more

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/06/2024 12:24 pm)

4/06/2024 12:23 pm  #77

St. Louis? Understand the Indiana State connection. And Schertz is a really excellent hire
for St. Louis and is getting a lot of money for the A-10. And presumably an expanded budget for assistants.
So obviously more money for Boisvert, one would imagine.
  But not an upward move league-wise for someone of Boisvert's credentials. Thought Boisvert was aiming for a head coach and had been rumored to be a finalist for Army, etc.
   Boisvert is an aggressive recruiter and an unusually straight shooter in person. Though we whiffed on big men, don't know if we have any other recruiters at his level. Needless to say, very important these days. Wondered even earlier if the two most recent assistant promotions have recruiting experience?

4/06/2024 9:01 pm  #78

With the new state of affairs in college basketball I wonder what recruiting experience really means? 

4/06/2024 11:31 pm  #79

Tennessee Colonial wrote:

With the new state of affairs in college basketball I wonder what recruiting experience really means? 

one year at time
then re-recruitment if you are wanted on next year's team
and renegotiation of NIL terms

4/08/2024 2:07 pm  #80

What?  The Dude hasn't mentioned Calipari yet.  For that matter, neither has anyone else.

Board footera