GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2024 1:17 pm  #141

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal Szn

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1775216264321142902

Southern New Hampshire (D2) transfer Matt Becht has heard from GW. Also has heard from Mason, UMD, VTech, and Temple among others.

Graduated from Bishop O'Connell. Averaged 16.4ppg, 3.8 rebounds, 2.5 assists while shooting 43.7% from the floor and 44.8% from three.

Last edited by MG14 (4/02/2024 1:19 pm)

4/02/2024 1:49 pm  #142

GW0509 wrote:

Jamie Kaiser Jr. from UMD has entered the portal.  Was a one-time recruit of JC before blowing up on the AAU and HS circuits.  

George Mason may have the inside track on this one given Tony Skinn's connection at UMD.

https://twitter.com/247HSHoops/status/1774803368436793633

We've reached out and the tweet that mentions us doesn't mention Mason.

https://x.com/ColbyGHoops/status/1775216925561286911?s=20

4/02/2024 10:44 pm  #143

Justin Moore from Drexel (all-CAA) transferring to Loyola (Chi).  Another get for the A10.

I will say, a lot of the players moving already are guards. It’s going to be a real challenge to get quality big men because they are so in demand. LaSalle landed a post player from Penn St , who was little used. No idea if that’s a good get for them or not, but I’m hopeful we can land someone a bit more accomplished.

4/03/2024 12:42 pm  #144

Free Quebec wrote:

Justin Moore from Drexel (all-CAA) transferring to Loyola (Chi). Another get for the A10.

I will say, a lot of the players moving already are guards. It’s going to be a real challenge to get quality big men because they are so in demand. LaSalle landed a post player from Penn St , who was little used. No idea if that’s a good get for them or not, but I’m hopeful we can land someone a bit more accomplished.

We could/should set our sights outside of the US for some big-man talent.

4/03/2024 12:53 pm  #145

keithgreene wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Justin Moore from Drexel (all-CAA) transferring to Loyola (Chi). Another get for the A10.

We could/should set our sights outside of the US for some big-man talent.

So line Andrei Krivonos or Albert Roma?   Just kidding. It’s definitely a good idea, though like everything else, much harder to land the good ones than it used to be.

4/04/2024 12:30 pm  #146

Our walk-on Luke Cronin has entered the transfer portal.  Like all walk-ons, glad he got a chance to score a bucket this season.  Good luck, Luke!

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1775934557818360070

4/06/2024 10:58 pm  #147

GW0509 wrote:

Our walk-on Luke Cronin has entered the transfer portal.  Like all walk-ons, glad he got a chance to score a bucket this season.  Good luck, Luke!

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1775934557818360070

Hearing that one more freshman may enter the portal in the next week or two.

4/07/2024 11:45 am  #148

Another walk on or a scholarship player?

4/07/2024 12:08 pm  #149

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Scholarship player

4/07/2024 2:07 pm  #150

Hoopsfan23 wrote:

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Scholarship player

(And the collective groans of the virtual gut punch hitting the GW Hoops community…)

4/07/2024 3:07 pm  #151

BGF wrote:

Hoopsfan23 wrote:

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Scholarship player

(And the collective groans of the virtual gut punch hitting the GW Hoops community…)

I have no inside info, but groans will be a little less if it's Christian Jones (with all due respect to Christian Jones).

4/07/2024 3:12 pm  #152

His buddy Maximus (Both from CT and both played at the same HS) is in the portal so it might make a lot of sense if its him. 

4/07/2024 3:38 pm  #153

BGF wrote:

Hoopsfan23 wrote:

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Scholarship player

Coaching staff working very hard to keep him from transferring, should play out in the next week.

4/07/2024 8:46 pm  #154

Well, if it's Darren or Garrett or Jacoi, that would be very bad news.
Trey, you always have to worry about going to his Dad's team, of course. But Trey is at the 
right level for now, certainly, to develop his game further and obviously, would get good advice from home.
 Also hope everyone thinks of the education and social advantages of staying on the same campus from
year to year. This is often overlooked in this crazy game of musical chairs for players.
   It was tough at the end of the season, but we've got a good framework to build on with the players we have now--and the ones we should get.

Last edited by jf (4/07/2024 8:47 pm)

4/07/2024 8:59 pm  #155

jf wrote:

Trey, you always have to worry about going to his Dad's team, of course. But Trey is at the 
right level for now, certainly, to develop his game further and obviously, would get good advice from home.
 Also hope everyone thinks of the education and social advantages of staying on the same campus from
year to year. This is often overlooked in this crazy game of musical chairs for players.
   It was tough at the end of the season, but we've got a good framework to build on with the players we have now--and the ones we should get.

I just can’t see how it would be Darren given his announcement that he’s coming back. If he does leave, I think that would go against all we know about him and would reflect pretty poorly on his character.

Another scholarship freshman player could be Zam. I know he spoke highly of being in DC, but maybe he wants to go back to London or get more playing time elsewhere?

4/08/2024 10:17 am  #156

jf wrote:

I consider it a shame that most of these players do not value their ability to get a college education at a great university for free.
Less than 3% of all Division I players will get an NBA Contract.

And a look at the transfer portal has mode the situation worse. 150 college basketball athletes have entered the portal, ending their scholarships at their original school. The top 100-150 will be picked up by other schools and will be fine.  The bulk will have to transfer down a level to a school more commensurate with their skill level. But many will not get picked up at all. Those students have lost their "free" college education. 

Will they pick a school and attend with regular student financial aid? Or will they end up working minimum wage jobs w=for the rest of your life?

If you are a walk-on at GWU and enter the portal, who is looking for you? Not UConn, nor Kentucky, nor UCLA, nor Purdue. Stay and get your degree and go dominate intramurals.

Just My Opinion

4/08/2024 11:13 am  #157

4/08/2024 12:06 pm  #158

Interesting find, MG 14.
Even more interesting, Max is visiting Duquesne. Maybe he's absorbed the lesson of
Bamisile, who wound up back in the A-10.
 This whole thing is crazy and ruining college basketball.

4/08/2024 3:57 pm  #159

jf wrote:

Interesting find, MG 14.
Even more interesting, Max is visiting Duquesne. Maybe he's absorbed the lesson of
Bamisile, who wound up back in the A-10.
 This whole thing is crazy and ruining college basketball.

It used to be that college basketball was ruined by 1 and dones. So, at least we have now evolved to basketball being ruined by kids who stay in school but change teams in order to financially benefit.

If only there were a legal mechanism to use that would ensure that players stayed for more than one year and were compensated.

4/08/2024 4:47 pm  #160

danjsport wrote:

If only there were a legal mechanism to use that would ensure that players stayed for more than one year and were compensated.

Why would students even agree to collective bargaining? They’ve got a pretty sweet deal right now of basically unlimited earning potential and totally free of any transfer restrictions by the NCAA. For example, I believe the NFL decertified their union during the last lockout to have a better negotiating position versus the NFL by way of antitrust. 

Would SEC schools want to recognize a new public sector union of student employees or be told by the NCAA they had to abide by whatever terms it negotiated on the schools’ behalf? I thought those states valued the right to work!

Board footera