GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2024 2:32 pm  #1

Smith Center Practice Facility Scrubbed

Today an email was sent out announcing the cancellation of the proposed Smith Center renovation to create a state of the art basketball practice facility where the pool used to be. For our men's and women's basketball teams, this is a big disappointment. For a proposal that has been in the works since 2020, it's a bit shocking and even distressing it took four years to realize the plan was flawed.

While the email said they are looking at all other options, how much longer will the program have to wait this time.

Hoping for the best but incredibly frustrated by this result. 

4/20/2024 3:50 pm  #2

Re: Smith Center Practice Facility Scrubbed

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

Today an email was sent out announcing the cancellation of the proposed Smith Center renovation to create a state of the art basketball practice facility where the pool used to be. For our men's and women's basketball teams, this is a big disappointment. For a proposal that has been in the works since 2020, it's a bit shocking and even distressing it took four years to realize the plan was flawed.

While the email said they are looking at all other options, how much longer will the program have to wait this time.

I’m stunned! How could all the previous studies and inspections not produce a definitive feasibility answer?
I imagine they had big donors approached and committed. Where is GW’s credibility with them? Is the pool still safe or adequate as a pool? What’s the freaking alternative? I suspect NONE bc if there was one it would be mentioned as something being explored. Really poor!

4/20/2024 4:03 pm  #3

Is there any place that email is posted so we all could see it?

4/20/2024 4:10 pm  #4

4/20/2024 4:56 pm  #5

What bothers me even more is they put the two coaches and then the AD in the signature block. The coaches have nothing to do with this failure by the Athletic Department. Why the university is even tying them to this disaster is truly beyond me.

4/20/2024 6:50 pm  #6

The entire email:

To our loyal alumni, donors and fans,

As you are aware, we have been planning to renovate the Charles E. Smith Center to provide space for a basketball practice facility inside the building. Unfortunately, we recently discovered structural constraints that make the project no longer feasible, and the university has made the difficult decision not to pursue this renovation plan at this time.

In recent weeks, as we advanced a DC Zoning application to proceed with this renovation, our architects and designers provided final assessments for the project. These plans indicated that we would need to undertake extensive, unanticipated additional work within the existing building that would significantly increase the scope and cost of the project while also requiring a more than yearlong closure of our building. We believe this would be too disruptive to our athletes, fans, and broader GW community.

As we noted, this has been a very challenging situation. While we considered the possibility of advancing with the proposed construction, we determined that doing so would not serve anyone’s best interest. We want to reiterate that this late-breaking development has us as disappointed as much as anyone, and we are committed to our pursuit to enhance our facilities for all our athletes.

To that end, the university and GW Athletics are exploring alternative approaches to deliver a state-of-the-art practice facility for our basketball programs that will augment our ability to compete with the nation’s best, while also increasing the availability of the Smith Center for other university and community events.

Additionally, we will continue to seek options for an improved pool experience. The enclosed pool does not best serve our community in its current form, as it limits our ability to host events where all-deep pools are required. The pool area will continue to be used as the home for our aquatics programs as we explore other possibilities.

GW remains committed to the many goals of this project, and our path forward will be determined in the coming months. We are incredibly grateful for the time, support, understanding and patience of all of our stakeholders and most notably you— our loyal alumni, donors and fans. We are steadfastly dedicated to providing the resources, facilities and opportunities for our student-athletes to achieve excellence and pursue championships at the highest levels.

Raise High, GW Revs!

Chris Caputo, Men's Basketball Head Coach
Caroline McCombs, Women's Basketball Head Coach
Tanya Vogel, Director of Athletics

4/21/2024 7:39 am  #7

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

This proposal has been in the works for 5+ years. How GW just realized there are structural issues is the height of incompetence at some level. At a minimum, the architect and structural engineers f’ed up. Alternatively, this is a smokescreen excuse for not wanting to spend the money. Either way GW looks bad and the basketball program suffers. Maybe we should just save us all some time and head to D3 now since by the time they find another site (if they find another site) and get all approvals it will be years closer to when it will no longer be relevant. I’d be furious if I was CC right now. Heck this was promised to JC and then COVID was the excuse. Another instance of GW pulling the rug out under coaches but telling us they want to win. Embarrassing! Example #130 of GW shooting itself in the foot. The more things change the more they stay the same.

4/21/2024 10:46 am  #8

This is just more of the same from GW. It’s sad that both coaches sign the email when they have nothing to do with the decision. The AD should own it and be the focus. Supposedly, there’s a site across from the Smith Center that is plan B. I don’t see D3 in the future but we need better and stronger leadership.

4/21/2024 8:11 pm  #9

I know it is ttally unrelated, but why does thius feel like the decision to go from Colonials to Revolutionaries. Another corporate snafu. I wonder what they spent to get to the point when they decided that they could not do the project.....

4/21/2024 10:57 pm  #10

This is just another embarrassment under the Nero/Vogel leadership of the athletic department over the past decade.  I don't understand how Vogel still has a job here outside of being an alum.  I can't think of one thing she has done that inspires confidence that this is the right person for the job.  Outside of the Swimming program, are any of our teams successful?  Have we had one PR win in the past 5 years?

4/22/2024 9:14 am  #11

I'm going to revisit the discussion I passed along with an alum who before committing to making an NIL payment, wanted to know what the school was doing to support this program.   It's a very logical question...sure, I'll do my part but what is the school doing to hold up its end of the bargain?  I don't mean with respect to NIL which they are not allowed to contribute to.  I am talking about everything else.

Does the school ever dip into its endowment to support basketball?
Did the school write its own check when Smith Center underwent a $40 million renovation or was this entirely funded through donations? 
Does the school spend anything on marketing this program to help bring in more paid attendance?
What does the school spend on GW basketball in comparison to the 14 other A10 schools?

There never seems to be any problems asking alums for money.  That's fine, and it's to be expected.  But GW has to stop hiding behind its "we're a private university so we don't have to tell you" company line if it wants the fan base to be true partners.

So here's the next thing we know the school is not doing..it's not building a practice facility for the men's and women's teams.  I believe that GW and La Salle are the only conference members who do not have this.  

And incidentally, members of the swimming and diving team were not too happy about this original plan, so much so that 10 team members are in the transfer portal, not because they want to transfer in the words of one team member.  (Maybe they now stay, but maybe they don't.)  The subsequent result is that the morale of not just the basketball programs but of the very successful swimming and diving teams as well have been negatively impacted.

President Granberg has promised an investigation as to why the actual costs for this project would have been so much higher than first anticipated.  For TV's sake, there had better be not just a good reason but an acceptable one.

4/22/2024 10:38 am  #12

Have to agree that we just have terrible leadership. They are clueless on how to run an Athletic Department. For that matter the whole School Administration has done nothing but make mistakes. Where do we get these people? Sad.

4/22/2024 1:49 pm  #13

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised by any of this.
Vogel was the "convenient" hire after the school was once again humiliated and forced to fire Nero within a year of accepting his bs on the Lonergan debacle. She was not qualified then and the last 7 years have proven that. Why the 2nd in command to Nero while the athletic program was destroyed was then hired to continue it's demise made no sense to me and everyone else.
As GW fans and alums, this is what we have been dealing with for years. An inept administration and terrible decisions year after year.
CC better save his money and hope his 3 to 5 year tenure at GW doesn't sink his future. He's too young to retire.

4/22/2024 2:28 pm  #14

I’ve been wrestling with this the last couple days. I’m coming down of the side of this being completely inexcusable and unacceptable.

What kind of an ass-backwards organization comes up with a concept, sells it hard, raises money off it, and only then does the diligence to see if it’s even feasible?  A fucked up organization with fucked up leaders, that’s what kind of organization.

Another debacle that will take years to fix. Another setback. Another self-inflicted wound.

It’s time.

4/22/2024 2:43 pm  #15

Thank goodness!
The Hatchet reports that "the school will launch an investigation on how the initial assessment of feasibility was so different from the recent findings".
This makes me feel so much better. After Lonergan reported Nero for making payments to Larsen, the school conducted a thorough investigation. I guess they didn't bother to visit the local "watering holes" and pull the tapes.
Keep "Raising High" GW! And please stop soliciting me for money Vogel. I stopped giving GW my $ 8 years ago.

4/22/2024 3:13 pm  #16

Frankly, I think all of you are overreacting and too critical of GW and its leadership. As one of the donors who has earmarked multiyear $$ to support the practice facility, I do not believe the practice facility has been "scrubbed." There were unexpected engineering and design issues with putting the facility in the Smith Center. And I know they are actively looking for another site either on campus or near. President Granberg is a huge fan of GW basketball and under her leadership Coach Caputo has had increased financial support for our program from the university.

Yes, we really need a practice facility and I am disappointed by the delay. They are actively looking for an alternative site.

4/22/2024 3:20 pm  #17

AT Hiker. Thanks for the post and for your support of the program. Nice to see a positive post. Unfortunately too much of this board feeds off negative news.

Board footera