GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2024 1:53 pm  #241

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal Szn

GW0509 wrote:

BM wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

@jeffborzello 
Miami transfer Christian Watson is visiting Southern Miss tomorrow, per his NIL agent Noah Reisenfeld of Young Money APAA Sports. Tulane, Washington State and Duquesne also on Watson's list.

"NIL agent"???

Yep.  A lot of these "agents" are just recent Sports Marketing graduates who are play-pretending as Drew Rosenhaus and charging the athletes upwards of 20% for their "services."  The agency listed here is actually an offshoot of a rap music label to give you a sense of how sophisticated the operation is.

It's a total scam, much like most of NIL.

This was not in my haggadah last night, but it may very well be a sign for the powers-that-be. How sleazy can college sport get before the plug is pulled?

4/24/2024 1:55 pm  #242

Lynn Greer to Tenple to follow in his dad’s footsteps.  Maybe he’s expecting Larry Lembo to ref every game so he can have the same results.

4/24/2024 3:26 pm  #243

Free Quebec wrote:

Lynn Greer to Tenple to follow in his dad’s footsteps. Maybe he’s expecting Larry Lembo to ref every game so he can have the same results.

From Dayton to St. Joe's to Temple.

We'll get our shot at landing him in 2025-26, along with UMASS and Xavier.

4/25/2024 8:52 am  #244

GW got a visit from Gerald Drumgoole, Jr.

Drumgoole averaged 13.9/3.8/2.4 for Delaware last season.  He scored 12 points against us in the Bahamas and could've scored more had he not gone 1-7 from 3.  If I remember right, some of those misses were key for us in our comeback.  He averaged 15.7 ppg for Albany the year prior and started his collegiate career at Pitt.

Kinda crazy, Drumgoole was actually offered by Mojo in high school.

4/25/2024 9:01 am  #245

Good info.  He’s a big(6’5) guard with 4 years of playing time. Could be a good fit to bring more experience in the back court for his remaining season of eligibility.  Get Drumgoogle, then round  off class with one more big. Need a another backup at 4-5 position.

4/25/2024 1:50 pm  #246

GW0509 wrote:

GW got a visit from Gerald Drumgoole, Jr.

Drumgoole averaged 13.9/3.8/2.4 for Delaware last season.  He scored 12 points against us in the Bahamas and could've scored more had he not gone 1-7 from 3.  If I remember right, some of those misses were key for us in our comeback.  He averaged 15.7 ppg for Albany the year prior and started his collegiate career at Pitt.

Kinda crazy, Drumgoole was actually offered by Mojo in high school.

Where'd you see this?

4/26/2024 10:34 am  #247

dmvpiranha wrote:

Christian Watson is still available and he would be a good fit as a defense-first guy. I think he recently visited Tulane.

Southern Miss
https://x.com/jeffborzello/status/1783877724177563999

4/29/2024 11:24 am  #248

He's available again!

@jeffborzello 
Michigan freshman guard George Washington III has reentered the transfer portal, source told ESPN. He initially entered following the coaching change, then withdrew his name in mid-April. Played in 22 games as a freshman for the Wolverines.

4/29/2024 12:29 pm  #249

George Washington III needs to face his destiny!
While the school is still named after him.

4/30/2024 8:23 am  #250

4/30/2024 9:00 am  #251

Ordinarily I would cite a coaching change (really retirement, given Cliff Ellis is 78) as a reason to excuse Bray for leaving Coastal but he straight up left the team after a handful of games. It will be interesting to see whether any team takes a chance on him at this point or he goes the JUCO route. I could see a school like Nicholls State or maybe Florida A&M giving him a chance. Howard could be a fit if he gets it together.

Chase Paar also went portaling yesterday. I guess he was granted a redshirt for the 2022-23 season as this past year was his fifth year playing.

Honestly, it's exhausting/not as fun to track player movement as it used to be. There are cases like John Tonje the other day where he "committed" to New Mexico only to flip his decision to Wisconsin three days later (UNM will be fine as they landed a player from Arizona on the same day, but I would have been upset as a fan). Tonje played his role as a connector piece who can shoot/cut on offense well at Colorado State before moving to Mizzou last year where he got hurt, but I can't help but feel like Wisconsin probably paid him more than what was necessary to get a player of his caliber. Switching commitments is not a new phenomenon, but with money on the line it's a guarantee to happen more often moving forward making it tougher to be invested beyond the other factors that have been mentioned here in various threads.

Anyways, does the transfer portal closing tomorrow really mean anything outside of the ones that haven't officially entered this offseason? The players who have already entered and committed can always flip their decision should more money be offered without them re-entering the portal. Until the season begins, they might as well still be considered in the portal. I don't really know that signing changes anything because I'm sure a player will sue if they leave a team late in the offseason and demand to be made eligible at the new school they choose.

4/30/2024 10:57 am  #252

There is little doubt that Wisconsin came up with some 11th hour money given their offseason.  AJ Storr left for Kansas.  Chucky Hepburn left for Louisville.  Chucky's high school buddy who was to transfer from Omaha is no longer coming.  Tyler Wahl is the rarity who is out of college eligibility.  

And, assuming Chase Paar finds a new home or returns to Towson, he will pass Jack Paar on the longevity scale.  Jack hosted The Tonight Show for 56 months while Chase has been a college basketball player for 53 months and apparently counting.

4/30/2024 12:08 pm  #253

“Chase Paar also went portaling yesterday. I guess he was granted a redshirt for the 2022-23 season as this past year was his fifth year playing.”

Cole Part entered the portal, Chase’s lil bro who was also on Towson.

Last edited by Mike K (4/30/2024 12:09 pm)

5/01/2024 11:22 am  #254

dmvpiranha wrote:

Ordinarily I would cite a coaching change (really retirement, given Cliff Ellis is 78) as a reason to excuse Bray for leaving Coastal but he straight up left the team after a handful of games. It will be interesting to see whether any team takes a chance on him at this point or he goes the JUCO route. I could see a school like Nicholls State or maybe Florida A&M giving him a chance. Howard could be a fit if he gets it together.

Chase Paar also went portaling yesterday. I guess he was granted a redshirt for the 2022-23 season as this past year was his fifth year playing.

Honestly, it's exhausting/not as fun to track player movement as it used to be. There are cases like John Tonje the other day where he "committed" to New Mexico only to flip his decision to Wisconsin three days later (UNM will be fine as they landed a player from Arizona on the same day, but I would have been upset as a fan). Tonje played his role as a connector piece who can shoot/cut on offense well at Colorado State before moving to Mizzou last year where he got hurt, but I can't help but feel like Wisconsin probably paid him more than what was necessary to get a player of his caliber. Switching commitments is not a new phenomenon, but with money on the line it's a guarantee to happen more often moving forward making it tougher to be invested beyond the other factors that have been mentioned here in various threads.

Anyways, does the transfer portal closing tomorrow really mean anything outside of the ones that haven't officially entered this offseason? The players who have already entered and committed can always flip their decision should more money be offered without them re-entering the portal. Until the season begins, they might as well still be considered in the portal. I don't really know that signing changes anything because I'm sure a player will sue if they leave a team late in the offseason and demand to be made eligible at the new school they choose.

Bray should go the Jersey Mike’s route.

5/03/2024 12:05 pm  #255

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
George Washington has landed Delaware transfer Gerald Drumgoole Jr., source told 
@TheFieldOf68

Averaged 13.9 points last season and shot 37 percent from 3.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (5/03/2024 12:07 pm)

5/03/2024 12:55 pm  #256

Now the question becomes do we use the last remaining scholarship? 

Presumably there might not be much PT to offer so it could go to an international or HS project.

5/03/2024 1:23 pm  #257

Alright, with one scholie remaining, we have picked up guys from Providence (minimal PT there), Cornell, William and Mary, and Delaware......Lets use the scholie.

5/04/2024 6:56 am  #258

Ugh.  Dayton lands one of my favorite players in all of college basketball in Posh Alexander. Might be the best defensive PG in the country.

Today 5:14 pm  #259

Today 5:38 pm  #260

Really?  Why?

Board footera