GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2020 9:49 pm  #1

Best game in Smith Center History?

Tonight was clearly the most entertaining game at the Smith Center since Goldwire´s flaying elbows in 2006. Was this the best game ever at the Smith Center? Both teams played well and still it was a thriller in 4OTs.

1/29/2020 10:13 pm  #2

Re: Best game in Smith Center History?

Certainly in the top 5 or so.  Still not the flavor of Shawnta's shot to be Xavier.

1/29/2020 10:45 pm  #3

March 4, 2006 (Goldwire)
February 5, 1995 (Slick Willy)
Feb 18, 2004 (TJ) 
February 6, 2015 (Joe Mac)

After that we can start talking

1/30/2020 8:22 am  #4

UVA win was better, but we're splitting hairs here. Certainly the most entertaining game in the post ML era.

1/30/2020 3:25 pm  #5

The Shawnta Shot to beat X came to mind, too.
As mentioned in another thread, the two teams combined for a grand total of 15 turnovers in 60 mins of basketball last night. As great as the wins over UMassholes with Prez Bill in the stands and UVa were, to be honest neither of those opponents played very well that game. The same could not be said about Davidson last night.
So clearly not as stand out as clinching a conference title or toppling a top-ranked team, in terms of quality last night was pretty high up there in Smith Center history, no?

1/30/2020 3:37 pm  #6

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

The Shawnta Shot to beat X came to mind, too.
As mentioned in another thread, the two teams combined for a grand total of 15 turnovers in 60 mins of basketball last night. As great as the wins over UMassholes with Prez Bill in the stands and UVa were, to be honest neither of those opponents played very well that game. The same could not be said about Davidson last night.
So clearly not as stand out as clinching a conference title or toppling a top-ranked team, in terms of quality last night was pretty high up there in Smith Center history, no?

Are we talking best outcome (for GW) or best game? Some of the games mentioned had great outcomes but not as much of the back and forth as we saw last night. I generally don't try to rank them because they are all special and frankly too few and far between lately.

1/30/2020 6:38 pm  #7

Agree.  Best win or most satisfying game is different from best game. 

I would still say that the 2OT epic vs Xavier with the James Posey dunk for the ages and Mike king sparking the comeback, hitting two FTs to send it to OT with no time left, and leading us in Ot - all in his first real game - remains the standard player for best player game I’ve seen. 

But the wins over #1 Umass, Leemire Goldwire’s 16-0
Elbow, and some others rank among the best wins and most satusfying games

1/30/2020 6:53 pm  #8

Charlotte v. George Washington for the undefeated A-10 season?

1/30/2020 7:34 pm  #9

chrisw wrote:

Charlotte v. George Washington for the undefeated A-10 season?

That is the Goldwire Flaying Elbows game. And it was a classic.

1/30/2020 11:10 pm  #10

Duh...I get it now. I forget the names of the other team members before the game even starts, but now that you mention it, I remember! That was a beautiful game. The best I've ever been at I think.

Board footera