GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2020 7:03 pm  #1

Other Games Thread (2/1 - 2/14/20)

VCU and Rhode Island showdown tonight,

Lunardi has BOTH teams getting NCAA tourney bids in his field 

1/31/2020 7:16 pm  #2

Re: Other Games Thread (2/1 - 2/14/20)

Rhode Island surges to an early lead.

Lunardi has Dayton as a #2 Seed.

1/31/2020 8:09 pm  #3

Forgot to mention this game is on ESPN2 

Rhode Island leads 53-27

1/31/2020 8:18 pm  #4

Rhode Island just hammering  VCU

2/01/2020 12:16 am  #5

That was quite a beatdown, a statement win for Rhode Island.

They do look NCAA tourney bound,  

2/01/2020 3:59 pm  #6

Lunardi also said that Dayton is the best A10 team since the 2003-2004 St.Joe's Hawks, and that the A10 hasn't had a 1st Team All-American since Jameer Nelson during that year, which is in reference to Obi Toppin possibly making 1st Team All-American. Could the A10 get a 4th at-large team? It could have been Davidson if they had their entire team, and played better defense. Despite losing 2 players, they still have two 1st Team All-A10 caliber players in Grady and Gudmundsson.  

George Mason at St.Bonaventure   4  on MASN
Fordham at #7 Dayton                     4:30  NBC SportsNetwork
St.Louis at St.Joseph's                    6:30  NBC SportsNetwork
UMass at Davidson                         8       CBS SportsNetwork 

UCF at South Florida         4  ESPNU
#25 Rutgers at Michigan    4:30    Big 10 Network

2/01/2020 4:15 pm  #7

I think Lunardi nailed it!

He also added no team should be NCAA tourney eligible without a  .500 conference play record, totally agreed.

Rutgers is not only the ranked team in the Michigan vs Rutgers game (wasn't Michigan ranked #1 at one point?) they are also the higher ranked KenPom team.

The GW duo rolls on!

2/04/2020 10:08 am  #8

I could not disagree more with Lunardi's comment about needing to be at least .500 in conference in order to be eligible to reach the Tournament.  When the objective is to supplement the automatic qualifiers with those programs who offer the best possibility of winning a championship, this restriction is entirely misguided.  In fact, it would often be counterintuitive since such a team would have to have had success against nonconference opponents in order to realistically be considered.

Let's use a team that I have zero love for whatsoever, the Ohio State Buckeyes (shoutout to Herve).  OSU was 10-1 in the OOC with wins against Cincinnati (by 8 at home), Villanova (by 25 at home), UNC (by 25 in Chapel Hill, with Cole Anthony playing), and Kentucky by 6 (on a neutral court).  Their sole loss was to West Virginia (by 8 on a neutral court).  They are presently 4-6 in the country's toughest conference with wins over Penn State and Indiana among others.  Should they split their final 10 games, they would finish 19-12 overall (before the big 10 Tournament) with a 9-11 Big 10 record.  If we give them wins over their 5 easiest remaining games, that would include home wins against Purdue, Michigan and Rutgers along with road wins at Northwestern and at Nebraska (or substitute a win at Wisconsin if you feel that's easier than one of these five).  Or, we can restrict this to home games only and give them wins over Illinois and Maryland rather than the two road wins.  No matter the case, this 19-12 team with a 9-11 Big 10 record would absolutely, positively be going dancing, and deservedly so.

2/04/2020 1:31 pm  #9

Lunardi(or someone else) was saying that the Big TEN could get TWELVE(HA!) teams in the NCAA tournament. I can understand both sides of the argument about sub .500 teams being excluded from the NCAA tournament because a team like Ohio State did play very well in the OOC, but finishing below 500 in the conference over the course of 2 or 3 months may indicate that they aren't that good, despite the OOC wins. At the same time, it could indicate that the Big 10 Conference is very strong from top to bottom. Michigan could also finish below .500 in the Big 10 after playing very well in non conference play.

Rutgers at #9 Maryland   7  FS1
Ohio State at Michigan    7  ESPN2  
UMass at Rhode Island   7  CBS SportsNetwork 

2/04/2020 3:36 pm  #10

Rutgers Maryland, nice showdown game tonight.

3 of the top 6 KenPom Teams:

Gonzaga, San Diego St, Dayton  

2/04/2020 3:46 pm  #11

Thomas, I believe its the latter (the Big 10 being very strong from top to bottom).  If there is even a discussion about 12 of 14 conference teams getting in, this helps prove the point.  9-11 in the Big 10 this year may not only be considered "not bad" but may actually be perceived by some who follow the sport as "pretty good" when graded on a curve.  It's arguably the equivalent of going at least 12-8 or 13-7 in most other conferences.

2/07/2020 9:13 pm  #12

VCU nice win over Davidson.

ESPN's Friday night A10 game feature is a real nice treat for A10 fans. 

Joe Lunardi has VCU and Rhode Island in the tourney with Dayton a #1 seed.

2/08/2020 11:59 am  #13

Yeah, its good that the A10 gets a featured game on ESPN every Friday night. Lunardi (or another bracket guy) had St.Louis as one of the Last 4 In/Out about a week ago before St.Louis lost at home to Duquesne. I didn't realize that St.Louis was that close to being an at-large team. It would be great if the A10 could get 3 at-large teams(in addition to Dayton) into the NCAA tournament. 

DePaul at Georgetown  noon  MASN  - DJ Williams returns to D.C., but I don't think he's played a lot since he joined the team. Mac McClung has been out for the past 2 or 3 games, so Georgetown has been even more depleted, they are now without 5 scholarship players!!

St.Louis at #6 Dayton               2  CBS Sportsnetwork
St.Bonaventure at Duquesne   3  NBC Sportsnetwork
St.Joe's at La Salle                   5  NBC Sportsnetwork

2/08/2020 8:21 pm  #14

14-10 Georgetown  short handed as they are, wins again,  a Top 50 KenPom team.

For some context, 5 years into the Shaka era at Texas, he's 14-9 with the #66 KenPom

2/09/2020 2:04 pm  #15

The Dude,  your BUDDY(lol) Tom Crean is struggling again this year at Georgia. I saw the end of their overtime loss to Alabama last night, and they may not even qualify for the NIT, despite adding superstar freshman Anthony Edwards, who was one of the top players in the class of 2019. When I see Tom Crean, I always think of you ripping him!! LOL  Even if Georgia ends up with a terrible record, I guess Crean can hang his hat on producing another lottery pick/NBA star in Anthony Edwards. 

Georgetown's star center Yurtseven left yesterday's game against DePaul with an injury in the 2nd half, and Georgetown was still able to win it. You almost have to feel a little bad for them at this point because they may have an outside shot at making the NCAA tournament and are playing hard, but they just don't have enough players to beat quality team in the Big East

George Mason at UMass    2:30  NBC SportsNetwork
Northwestern at Rutgers     6:30  Big 10 Network

2/09/2020 2:13 pm  #16

Crean was basically a disaster at Indiana, I was saying those things not too far from his high water mark to shine some light,cases are all relative to the program you're at he had a blue blood program that was getting waxed in the league play! 
Things got worse from there!

It has a look of Shaka smart at Texas, lost at home to Texas tech looks like they are well off the bubble yet again!

In related news Gonzaga won by over 30 on the road at number 32 Saint Mary's.  The zags are number two in the kenpom. 

America's greatest coach Mark Few sails on!

Last edited by The Dude (2/09/2020 2:36 pm)

2/11/2020 4:28 pm  #17

Rhode Island at #6 Dayton   7:30   CBS SportsNetwork  - HUGE game tonight as both teams come in on  10-game winning streaks. Dayton is actually an 11 point favorite, Vegas must think Rhode Island is a fraud, or maybe Dayton is elite!!

Nebraska at #9 Maryland         8:30  Big 10 Network - Maryland is starting to look like a Final 4 contender now
Michigan State at #22 Illinois   9  ESPN  - I included this game because it's stunning to see these 2 teams playing with Illinois being ranked and Michigan State unranked. Michigan State started the year ranked #1, while Illinois looked to be in rebuilding mode hoping for an NIT bid

2/11/2020 5:28 pm  #18

Good showdown game! big test for Rhode Island on the road.  
A win tonight would really cement The Rams as a NCAA Tourney team

2/12/2020 3:57 am  #19

Penn St dominated Purdue tonight, ranked 13th, they gave them a whooping on the road.

They are very much the team this year, predicted here 2 years ago when we played them.  

Board footera