GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2020 7:10 pm  #1

Jameer Nelson Jr

What's the ceiling there?

I feel we're seeing glimpses of the future Jameer Jr.  You can see the playmaking talent breakthrough.  

incredible physical talent, the ups is just amazing, reminder that he's a late arrival to the sport was playing mostly baseball growing up, he arrives much more of a raw product than most Upper Mid Major players

2/15/2020 7:53 pm  #2

Re: Jameer Nelson Jr

He'll be a star.  I hope he stays here.  Just needs to work on his decision-making process.

2/15/2020 9:16 pm  #3

Remember that Jameer graduated from high school a year early and has only played three years. (first year was JV!) The future is bright!

2/15/2020 9:17 pm  #4

Remember that Jameer graduated from high school a year early and has only played three years. (first year was JV!) The future is bright!

2/15/2020 9:45 pm  #5

It is amazing! explains the learning curve.

Goodness though, some of the plays he makes, the steals, the hops in the air, really exciting ceiling

2/16/2020 10:42 am  #6

His defense has improved so much throughout his freshmen season.  I feel like his floor is an all league defender and his ceiling, especially if he can improve is handle and be more consistent with his jump shot, is first team all league or even a future POY if we get really good.    But, really, at worst, he’s going to be a defensive stopper and a complementary offensive piece in a good A10 team. 

Hope he stays at GW for four.

2/16/2020 1:46 pm  #7

Well, he is certainly a highlight reel waiting to happen.   May already be the best dunking guard I have ever seen at GW.  There are several aspects of his game that I am looking to see him improve upon as he matures, including his shooting percentage in field goals (41.4%), three point shots (26.2%) and free throws (63.8%)  Likewise, the seasons assist to turnover ration of 63 to 80 needs substantial improvement.   But as already mentioned, there is substantial improvement in many aspects of the game, and other aspects will improve with maturity, specifically as he learns to make better decisions and he doesn't let things get in his head.  His defense is likewise improving, but I am not as high yet on his defense as is Free.  (His defense in the URI game was quite bad).   He is very quick and not afraid to have the ball in big situations (things that cannot be taught).   I can see him as another Kethan, maybe even better.

2/16/2020 1:57 pm  #8

OK, I'm ghosting for The Dude here when I point out that LSF begs the question:  Who was/is GW's best dunking guard?  To name a few:  Surles, Pinnock and Savage?

2/16/2020 8:05 pm  #9

I would take Pinnick out of the mix because although a guard, he was 6’5”.  I am thinking more “diminutive”.   Always liked Surles, however from what I have seen so far, could very well be Nelson

2/17/2020 3:23 pm  #10

Interesting names being bandied about. I would add just two more to the mix. SirValient Brown and Chris Monroe. While polar opposites, I can see TNJr skewing either way. As a frosh, we all salivated at the prospects of a maturing Brown leading GW to the Hoops Holy Land; and by the end of his soph year we knew that was not going to happen. At the same time, with Monroe we got perhaps the best representative of the Buff&Blue in school history and a stud basketball player who got better every season. Given his pedigree, I have to believe TNJr will not flame out the way Brown did. But then again, I didn´t think Brown would flame out the way he did, so what do I know.

2/17/2020 3:56 pm  #11

Not too worried about JNJ flaming out or not developing to his full potential. Christian has a pretty good track record of recruiting kids who have incredibly strong support from home. Just look at last year's and next year's recruits. Hard to find one better than Papa JN. Given that there were serious discussions about whether JNJ would/should be redshirted this year to build up his strength, I remain mystified by all the criticism he receives every time he makes a mistake or missed opportunity on the court. We don't have to go any further back than Joe McDonald to remember a PG that struggled his freshman year and was labeled a never gonna make it as a PG by so many on this board's predecessor. JC has stated his general preference for big guards but Nelson is clearly a special talent who will make it in whichever position he is eventually slotted. He's already one of the more spectacular players we've seen in a GW back court. Too bad the nickname High Rise was already taken.

2/17/2020 4:27 pm  #12

Tremendously exciting player.   Going to be fun to watch for years to come!

2/17/2020 8:50 pm  #13

Got to say Surles is best dunking guard, but Jameer is on his way to be No. 1. If we can keep him for four years he will be among the exciting players in GW history. I cringe when he shoots three-pointers and goes to the free throw line, but his defense just keeps getting better and better. Surles' steals followed by a dunk always fired up the team and the crowd. Jameer does the same thing. His leaping ability is amazing.

2/17/2020 9:02 pm  #14

Why the continued concern about him staying 4 years?

2/17/2020 9:13 pm  #15

Unless an A10 team wins the NCAA the smaller conferences might as well pack it in. Lunardi said that the Power Conferences will be in a league of their own. Lesser colleges are not wanted. This transfer thing has become a real fiasco!

2/18/2020 1:29 am  #16

Definitely Surrles.
Earlier, while reading this thread, even before the question was posed, I was thinking that JNJ with his
tremendous athleticism was really reminiscent of Dirkk Surles.
And as GW73 noted the electrifying steal and dunk phenomenon of both.
Always thought that basketball might not have even been Dirkk's best sport. He was that athletic.
With JNJ, he is still learning a lot about high-level basketball and has an excellent role model.
And saw some interplay between Armel and Jameer at a critical point in the Mason game, where it looked like Armel was trying to impress something on JNJ. which is good senior leadership.

2/18/2020 9:45 am  #17

Poog, I don't think you can ignore the fact that JNJ was all set to play for Phil Martelli at St. Joe's, and that Martelli is now an assistant at a major program in Michigan.  Michigan will have a starting point guard for the next two seasons in David DeJulius, and will have a starting shooting guard for one more season in Eli Brooks.  Zeb Jackson, a shooting guard from Montverde, has signed for next season while Terrence Williams from Gonzaga, who likely fits in as a 2 or a 3 has verbaled.  Given that JNJ would need to sit out a year if he were to transfer, there isn't so much depth here that he couldn't realistically compete for playing time in a year or two.

The question of course is whether both sides would have any interest in one another.  It certainly appears that JNJ is very happy at GW (what little press to be had has indicated a close relationship with fellow freshmen Jamison, Chase and Shawn) and Michigan may feel that they don't have the room for him or that JNJ isn't better served playing at a higher level.  Both are very real possibilities.  

That said, we all know Martelli well enough to know that if he can stick it to GW one last time, he would have no problem doing so.  More to the point, what should not be ignored is a long-term relationship between Martelli and the Nelson family.  If JNJ has dreams of playing in the NBA one day, Michigan will offer greater exposure and a better level of competition for JNJ to measure himself against.  

Losing JNJ is by no means a prediction, but it is a notion that can not be swept under the rug either.

2/18/2020 8:17 pm  #18

Yes, certainly a possibility,  though thankfully we can shelve it for several years, unless something untoward happens to cause JNJ to think about leaving.
Alas, the redshirting scenario could have had the same effect. So it's worth having JNJ play now. adn it was clear at Kenner League while that he needs a learning curve like many a freshman,that Jameer was ready for D1 basketball.
And for any future speculation, there is also the point that Dad had a long NBA career after playing in the A-10.
And we sent 3 players to the NBA in recent years from GW.

2/18/2020 9:15 pm  #19

One big difference between Jameer Nelson Jr. and Sirvaliant's situation is that JNJ doesn't have the same type of green light that Sirvaliant did as a freshman. We've seen Jamion Christian sit JNJ and reduce his minutes when he had stretches of erratic play. Sirvaliant could do whatever he wanted for 35 minutes a game as a freshman, and he developed some bad habits that caused a bit of a drop off during his sophomore year. 

I don't think Jameer Nelson Jr. will transfer to Michigan or any other BCS school, unless Jamion Christian somehow leads GW to a dominant season(1st place finish + multiple wins in the NCAA tournament) next year and leaves for a BCS job. If that happens, JNJ could follow JC to his BCS job. About Michigan, they are going to be recruiting and signing 5-star guards, JNJ could risk being recruited over if he transferred to Michigan to play for Juwan Howard/Martelli. Also, I think Jameer Sr appreciates the opportunity that JC has given JNJ as a freshman and sees that JNJ could develop into an elite player at GW(like he was at St.Joe's), and wouldn't want him to transfer.  

2/19/2020 2:34 pm  #20

While watching the GMU game I noticed that the players were really getting along very well. Excited for each other. That's a wonderful sign.

Board footera