GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2020 12:25 pm  #1

So, who do you want to see in Brooklyn?

Let's consider past results, matchups and how hot or cold teams are.

The bottom feeders:  George Mason, La Salle, St. Joe's, Fordham.  A win over Fordham tomorrow night means that we will avoid play-in day and subsequently each of these teams (unless some very crazy things were to happen throughout this tournament).  Cross off La Salle (who would likely avoid Wednesday if we were to land there) and George Mason (who we would not play against on Wednesday).  This leaves the Hawks and the Rams of Fordham.  Am OK seeing either but if I had to choose one over the other, let's just say that I would be unable to foresee Fordham going 3-0 against us in a given season.  Ever.

The top of the heap:  Dayton, Richmond, Rhode Island.  Given how competitive we just were against Richmond, they'd have to be my choice if we had to play one.  Rhode Island suddenly looks vulnerable having lost 2 of its last 3  with the win being a one point victory over Fordham.  (Is it my imagination or does Rhode Island routinely struggle against Fordham, the same way that Xavier used to have problems with a perpetually lowly Duquesne squad)?  However, fresh in my memory are those URI runs against us of 8-1 seemingly before the Star Spangled Banner was completed and  21-3 towards the end of the first half.  They beat us by 31 this year, by 27 last year...I think I'll pass.  As for Dayton, keep saying they're due for a loss all you like.  It's not going to help against us.

The better half of the jumbled middle: St. Louis, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure.  It is looking like our first match-up in Brooklyn will be against one of these schools (though Davidson is not out of the question).  I was so impressed with the way we came back at St. Louis but after the Bills won by 10 at Rhode island, they have gotten my attention.  They are 10-6 with two tough losses to Dayton (including one incredibly tough loss) but were also swept by Duquesne and were an overtime away from being swept by UMASS.  The Dukes would probably want us badly after losing to us in Pittsburgh.  Am not sure I would mind the rubber game as I enjoyed the feisty behavior our guys displayed in that win.  The Bonnies have won 6 conference games away from home but only 1 came against a team with a winning conference record and that was against Duquesne.  Since SLU suddenly has NCAA tournament aspirations, I'll take Duquesne first in this group followed by the Bonnies.

The lesser half of the jumbled middle: Davidson, VCU, UMASS.  We're an impressive 2-1 against this group but again, it's likely only Davidson that has a shot of playing us on Thursday though VCU wins against Duquesne and at Davidson could put them in the mix.  UMASS is out of the question which is really, really too bad  since we, how can I put this, own them.  As much as I'd love to put Mike Rhoades, the A10 Jerk of the Year, into some misery, it's just not going to happen with this year's Colonials who simply turn the ball over too much.  Can't see things going very well against Davidson either when considering how tournament-ready they normally are coupled with revenge of a 4 overtime loss on their minds.  So if it can't be UMASS (and it won't be), let's take VCU only for the joy we would have in upsetting them. 

Board footera