GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2020 7:30 am  #1

ESPN Gameday

The Athletic is reporting that the ESPN Gameday will be live at Dayton when they host us.   

So, um, there’s that.

3/02/2020 9:22 am  #2

Re: ESPN Gameday

Total Reverse Lock! So is the game gonna be numbed from ESPN+?

3/02/2020 11:07 am  #3

3/04/2020 11:53 am  #4

ESPN has decided that for "Gameday" (where they broadcast their pre-game coverage live from a campus before a big game and let the fans whoop and holler in the background), that they are going to Dayton this Saturday.  Presumably, this will be Dayton trying to end the A-10 season undefeated, potentially earn a 1 seed, and help Obi Toppin seal national player of the year. 

Usually these Gameday locations fit with where a big game on ESPN is being played, but I guess they thought Dayton deserved it, so even though they are playing us and the game is only on ESPN+, they are showing up.  

I guess it'll get us a little attention, as a sideshow, and something JC can point out to recruits. And maybe all the attention will make Dayton nervous and they'll blow the game against us, like we almost did to Charlotte the last time an A-10 team sealed an undefeated season. 

3/04/2020 12:04 pm  #5

Not counting on anything more than a Rece Davis mention.  Michigan State was at College Park last Saturday and practically the entire hour was Maryland-focused.  Now, if GW could somehow play along the lines of how the Spartans played on Saturday night, we'd really be making national headlines.

3/04/2020 2:03 pm  #6

I understand that we were granted permission for this one game to change our name to the Washington Generals.

3/04/2020 3:57 pm  #7

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I understand that we were granted permission for this one game to change our name to the Washington Generals.

lol

3/05/2020 9:59 pm  #8

Free Quebec wrote:

ESPN has decided that for "Gameday" (where they broadcast their pre-game coverage live from a campus before a big game and let the fans whoop and holler in the background), that they are going to Dayton this Saturday.  Presumably, this will be Dayton trying to end the A-10 season undefeated, potentially earn a 1 seed, and help Obi Toppin seal national player of the year. 

Usually these Gameday locations fit with where a big game on ESPN is being played, but I guess they thought Dayton deserved it, so even though they are playing us and the game is only on ESPN+, they are showing up.  

I guess it'll get us a little attention, as a sideshow, and something JC can point out to recruits. And maybe all the attention will make Dayton nervous and they'll blow the game against us, like we almost did to Charlotte the last time an A-10 team sealed an undefeated season. 

GW will be lucky if they only lose by 30 against Dayton. There are exceptions to every rule but Dayton is 10x the team. This isn't 2017 when Joe McDonald hit the layup at the buzzer for the win on Friday night in front of a packed house.

3/05/2020 10:09 pm  #9

It isn't 2017, but thanks for the wonderful memory of Joe McDonald's tip in of Savage's miss. So great how he was in the air when he tipped in the winner as the buzzer sounded. 

In 2020 Dayton has to be favored by at least 25. Sigh!

3/06/2020 12:49 pm  #10

GW73 wrote:

It isn't 2017, but thanks for the wonderful memory of Joe McDonald's tip in of Savage's miss. So great how he was in the air when he tipped in the winner as the buzzer sounded. 

In 2020 Dayton has to be favored by at least 25. Sigh!

Great memory but I believe that was 2015. 

3/06/2020 5:04 pm  #11

I hope they show the "Joe Mac tip in" on Gameday!  What a great memory!

3/06/2020 6:41 pm  #12

Actually this and maybe if somehow we face Dayton in the A-10 can be trap games for Dayton.
There is no sign right now, of course, that we can take advantage of a Dayton letdown, except to cut the Dayton victory margin to large from huge. And it is Senior Day, which did little to  get us up, but might be different at Dayton and their many thousands of fans.
  But given their record, it is a trap situation for them on Saturday, as well as the A-10 tourney., while we have nothing to lose, except pride and maybe seeding if that matters. A gaudy record can weigh a team down.
Remember when we were something like 25-1, then Charlotte and A-10 tournament and NCAA's? 

3/06/2020 11:52 pm  #13

Mike K wrote:

I’d rather they show the Carl Elliot steak and half court buzzer beater.  Still probably the greatest individual play in GW history.

As for this being a trap game for Dayton, forget it. They are playing for an undefeated season, for a 1 seed, and for Obi Toppin to win national POY.  And if that’s not enough, they have game day there to put more attention on them.  and they are playing GW, who appears to be worn down and will need shoot the lights out to stay within 15.  In fact, I’d say our only shot at losing by less than 25 is if all the attention and important makes Dayton tight and over trying.

The real trap game for them is the first game of the A10 tourney.  It always is when there’s a massively dominant 1 seed in our league. And they it looks like they could be playing VCU (who has lost to everyone except us for weeks, but is still a top 75 team that could shock them and just got Evans back) or Umass, who probably can’t upset them but does have some talented freshmen.

3/07/2020 8:19 am  #14

Joe Mac tip was 2015. Good correction. And I agree Carl Elliot streak and half court buzzer beater was better. But still two wonderful moments. A few more and I might forget Iowa.

3/07/2020 11:01 am  #15

It will be interesting to see how many times ESPN Gameday will even mention GW today. Most times ESPN Gameday features a marquee matchup and focuses on both teams. You guys think a GW fan(s) can sneak GW gear or a GW sign into Dayton's arena to be seen on camera during the broadcast!!! LOL

The ONE thing in GW's favor is, Dayton appears to play down to their competition. Even though Dayton is 17-0 in conference play, it seems that they've only played hard in maybe 5 or 6 of those conference games. Their last game at Rhode Island was one of those instances where they brought their "A game", and Rhode Island was dominated from start to finish. FQ mentioned that Dayton could play 8/9 seed UMass in the 2nd round of the A10 tournament, UMass lost to Dayton twice this year, but both games were competitive. 

Last edited by Thomas (3/07/2020 11:30 am)

3/07/2020 11:03 am  #16

fungerhall wrote:

Great memory but I believe that was 2015. 

THAT long ago, really?

3/07/2020 11:04 am  #17

Mike K wrote:

Board footera