GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2020 1:46 pm  #1

Matthew Moyer

For those of us who don't have tons of information on Moyer, can we use this thread as a way to educate our users and site visitors, rather than leaving this discussion in the Transfer and Recruit threads?  Thanks!

3/25/2020 1:47 pm  #2

3/25/2020 1:48 pm  #3

Re: Matthew Moyer

dmvpiranha wrote:

Matthew Moyer
Year: 2016
Position: PF
Height: 6-8
Hometown: Gahanna, OH
High School: South Kent School (South Kent, CT)
AAU Team: Indiana Elite (IN)

Eligibility: Grad transfer; one year of immediate eligibility.

Offers (out of high school): Air Force, Arizona State, Butler, Dayton, Detroit, Florida, Grand Canyon, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas State, Liberty, Northwestern, Ohio, Ohio State, Penn State, Rice, Stanford, Tennessee, UNLV, USC, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, Xavier

Statistics (from Freshman year at Syracuse): 3.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.3 bpg, 0.4 spg; 53% FG, 11% 3-pt, 54% FT per 16.8 mpg with 35 GP.
               (from Sophomore year at Vanderbilt): 3.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.3 bpg, 0.2 spg; 34% FG, 25% 3-pt, 71% FT per 14 mpg with 30 GP.
               (from Junior year at Vanderbilt): 2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.2 apg, 0.4 bpg, 0.4 spg; 30% FG, 17% 3-pt, 48% FT per 12.2 mpg with 25 GP.

Best Performances (against D1 competition): 2/1/20 vs. Florida (8 points, 5 rebounds; 3-4 FG, 2-3 3-pt in 21 minutes) (Last Year)
12/5/17 vs. Connecticut (18 points, 8 rebounds; 7-9 FG, 1-2 3-pt, 3-6 FT in 36 minutes freshman year) (Career best)

Matthew will be pursuing his master's in business at GW (and is also a very gifted violinist!). He will give us some more size down low and it appears pretty good rebounding as well which this team could use. On a youngish team whose only seniors are Maceo and Javier, Matthew can provide some nice mentoring for the sophomores and freshmen. It's worth noting JC will be the fourth coach he's played for in four years, so he will probably have less trouble adjusting to a new system than most. Moyer was the Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year while at South Kent Prep and was a consensus 4 star recruit out of HS (74th overall by ESPN).

Welcome Matthew! Hope you enjoy your time with the Buff and Blue, and we are excited to see you on the floor this fall.

Links
247Sports
Game Log
Twitter Account
Verbal Commits

GW Commitment Tweet

3/25/2020 4:11 pm  #4

Gwmayhem wrote:

What an enigmatic career this young man has already had.  Because he redshirt during his freshman year due to a broken bone in his foot, he received a waiver and did not have to sit out another year when transferring from Syracuse to Vandy.  And he of course can play right away as a graduate transfer.  I can't imagine there have been too many players who have played for four different coaches at three different schools over four consecutive years.  That has to be a very short list.

The comp sounds a lot like Bo Ziegler.  High energy, high athleticism.  Similar size.  As a freshman, Moyer played 36 minutes as a starter against UCONN, scoring 18 points on 7-9 shooting while grabbing 8 rebounds.  On another occasion that season, he scored 11 points and grabbed 13 rebounds against Virginia Tech.  So, we know he has it in him.

The knock on him is that his confidence was often lacking.  One writer noted that you knew which version of Matt was showing up by the first media timeout. 

He undoubtedly had lots of frontcourt competition at Syracuse and Vandy.  With AT and Mezie departing and Noel Brown perhaps being a bit of a project in Year 1, this represents an excellent opportunity for a confident Matt Moyer to show up each game.  If he is secure in his role, this has the chance to be an outstanding pickup.  If he is used similarly to say how AT was used this past season, this has the chance to blow up.

On the whole, I think you have to ignore the paltry numbers and instead feel excited over what he can bring to this team at the A10 level.  Welcome aboard Matt.

3/25/2020 8:29 pm  #5

Well first of all, Congratulations to Matthew and his family becoming part of the GW family!
Will note he has an excellent academic background and interests, making him the 
type of person we need off the court.
A one year graduate transfer can make a difference for the player and his family, as seen in recent years.Alex Mitola literally helped us win the NIT (and brought his brother in for another 4 years). Mo Creek brought us to the NCAA tournament as a key player.
  Now is the chance for Matthew to prove he can overcome injuries and disappointment (much like Mo Creek) and come out stronger in his final year of college basketball.

3/25/2020 9:48 pm  #6

Awesome! some good news at last

Welcome to GW

3/26/2020 6:29 am  #7

Welcome Matthew, enjoy your senior year!  

3/27/2020 9:22 am  #8

Does anyone have the tree for future recruits?
what kind of offer #s do we have for future years?

1/14/2021 7:41 pm  #9

Moyer is averaging 10.7 points and 10.0 Rebounds a game

He's #1 in The A10 in rebounding, #1 in offensive rebounds and at 85.4% #3 in FT %.  That FT % is an enormous increase from his prior track record, really coming into his own as a Colonial.

Perhaps most impressive, his perimeter defense on Guards half a foot shorter than him.  

1/14/2021 8:58 pm  #10

The Dude wrote:

Moyer is averaging 10.7 points and 10.0 Rebounds a game

He's #1 in The A10 in rebounding, #1 in offensive rebounds and at 85.4% #3 in FT %.  That FT % is an enormous increase from his prior track record, really coming into his own as a Colonial.

Perhaps most impressive, his perimeter defense on Guards half a foot shorter than him.  

Dude, thank you for posting this information. I didn't know the particular stats, but I do know what I see when I watch Moyer play. In my opinion, he is good at everything and that makes him one of the most well balanced and well rounded players on the team.  I feel it must be great for Jamion to have Moyer because he can always count on 100% effort with excellent skills. To me, this makes Matthew a natural leader, if not with words, then definitely by example.  Also, I very much like Moyer's unflappable personality. So in addition to the great statistics that you point out, he is a most reliable, multi-tool player with excellent leadership skills and he can eat minutes and play multiple positions, IMO. I think we are very fortunate that JC was able to bring Moyer to GW.

Last edited by 22ndandF (1/15/2021 8:35 am)

1/16/2021 9:18 pm  #11

There’s a lot to like about Moter’s game.  Someone  here remarked that he is Dennis Rodman—and to the extent  grit, effort, and fight, and instincts to be a tough rebounder and defender are exhibited, I’d wholeheartedly agree.   

He also plays lime at times like 4-start recruit whose size alone  dominated high schoolers, but has not translated to the college game.  Every time he puts the ball to the floor, I cringe.  He will usually pursue an attempt to score that he is ill equipped to finish. He doesn’t to have the quickness, ball handling skill, and shooting touch to outmatch college players-/including the William & Mary’s of the world.  To a large extent—and i will acknowledge it has value—his lack of scoring skill has been bailed out by getting  fouls called due to his size.  However, if he’s concentrated on doing the things he does well, I think he and the team could be even better.

1/16/2021 10:48 pm  #12

Merrick nails it.
Moyer plays hard,gets rebounds,does dirty work. Needs to dribble less,pass out at times and be selective in his shooting.
That way he can add to his considerable value on the court.

1/17/2021 7:57 am  #13

His missed dunk lost a game and his move to the basket is NOT something that will work at the DI level. But with adjusting and coaching, he can become a very reliable players sooner rather than later. Reminds me of Iturbe in that regard (and that is meant as a compliment to both Iturbe and Moyer).

1/17/2021 3:06 pm  #14

Based upon his versatility and defense, still going with Omar Williams as the player he reminds me of

2/04/2021 7:29 pm  #15

This is public as it was posted on his mothers instagram and his Instagram story . Apparently he is one of the players with Covid. The scary thing is you can see in the picture that he is in a hospital setting with a monitor behind him. Hopefully just a matter of extreme caution being taken by the medical team. Prayers for Matthew.

link

=inheritannette.r.moyer=inheritContinued prayers appreciated for our Matthew. Covid is nothing to be played with. The George Washington medical staff is taking extremely good care of him. Wish we could be with him. 🙏🏾  =

2/04/2021 8:05 pm  #16

This is terrible news. No young person gets admitted to the hospital for COVID-19 unless there's a serious problem or the probability of a serious problem..  Sending up prayers for Matt and his family, and I am so sorry that his family can't be with him in his time of need. Matt, we are with you in prayer. Wishing you God's blessings for a full, speedy and comfortable recovery.

Last edited by 22ndandF (2/04/2021 8:07 pm)

2/04/2021 8:56 pm  #17

Hope it's just a precaution.
Fortunately, Matt is young and strong.
Get well soon,Matt!
Our thoughts are with you and your family.

2/04/2021 8:59 pm  #18

Prayers up for Matt. My understanding is that he is doing ok but is being evaluated for COVID-related illness complications out of an abundance of caution. I don't really know much more.

2/05/2021 8:51 am  #19

get well Matt, this is a nasty bug

2/05/2021 10:29 am  #20

My thoughts and prayers are with you Matt.  Hoping for a complete and rapid recovery.

Board footera