GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2019 1:21 pm  #61

Re: Justin Mazzulla

That was fast. His native New England. Vermont is getting a hard-nosed player.
Hatchet article a good find. Thanks.
 Hatchet, though  could have tried a bit harder to get the actual story.
This seems a bit too much to swallow for a guy who left, seemingly not by choice, in mid-semester. Odd way to show love.
“We really love him,” Christian said. “He’s been a great player for our program the last few years. So we wish him the best wherever he lands. He’ll be a great player for them.”

11/25/2019 1:26 pm  #62

GW0509 wrote:

Adam Finkelstein‏ @AdamFinkelstein 
GW transfer Justin Muzzulla has committed to Vermont.

WHOA!!! That was quick. Mazzulla's transfer was announced last Wednesday the 20th, and he's already committed to Vermont today(5 days later). I'm assuming Mazzulla will be practicing and starting classes at Vermont in a few weeks when the fall semester ends. There's a good chance that Mazzulla will be on Vermont's bench when GW plays Vermont on New Years Eve

11/25/2019 1:51 pm  #63

And yet he is STILL listed on the roster on the official GW site. Is GW´s webmaster also the keeper of John Bolton´s passwords?

11/25/2019 2:02 pm  #64

Good for him. He's a good fit for the ML coaching tree. And Vermont is, and will be, better than GW this year and next.

11/25/2019 2:12 pm  #65

Good landing spot for Mazz, Vermont has long been the class of the league,

Not a good series of events for GW, but Coaching changes inevitably leads to some roster turnover.

Good luck Mazz! thanks for your dedication on and off the court, class act, 100% max effort.

11/25/2019 4:14 pm  #66

Sounds like this was tee'd up across the board. Best of luck to Mazzulla. Hopefully a win-win for everyone. Classy statement by JC in Hatchet.

11/27/2019 7:05 am  #67

For what it’s worth, GW is not being portrayed in any negative light.  It seems like this is a departure in good terms.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/george-washington-transfer-justin-mazzulla-commits-to-uvm-basketball/ar-BBXkxae

11/27/2019 9:49 am  #68

Best of luck to Mazz

11/27/2019 11:34 am  #69

Ditto on wishing Mazz the best of luck.  It appears to be a win/win after all.   GW can now play snd recruit someone better suited for Christians game plan and Mazz can probably step right in as soon as he is eligible and perhaps star on a team more in line with his style of play.   How weird will it be for Mazz to be in attendance when the team he has played games for this season plays his new team just a few weeks after he transferred.

11/27/2019 11:35 am  #70

Not just weird, but probably unfortunate for us since Justin can give his new team some intel.

11/27/2019 12:26 pm  #71

Not quite convinced that Vermont will need much intel on GW to win the game.  They are a very solid, well-coached team with a star player in Anthony Lamb who gives most opponents problems.

One thing worth paying attention to amidst Justin M.'s departure is how his great friend Maceo Jack would respond.  So far, he has stepped up his game which is great to see.  His scoring average was 8.5 per game playing nearly 28 minutes with Justin; Maceo has averaged 15 a game playing 36 minutes over the three Bahamas games.  He shot 32% from three over his first four games; 50% from 3 in the last three.  

Ideally, you'd like to see Maceo contribute a bit more than just desperately needed outside shooting.  In 6 of his 7 games played this season, he has yet to grab as many as 3 rebounds nor has he handed out more than 1 assist.  It would be nice to see these numbers rise given the amount of playing time he's been receiving.

All things considered though, his increased playing time and improved shooting are encouraging.  Some guys run the risk of going into a huge funk when their close friend on the team transfers.  Does not seem to be the case at all with Maceo.

Wishing everyone on the board a very Happy Thanksgiving.  Special thanks to Barry for bringing to us an intelligent forum for GW fans to discuss the team minus the insanity (and for keeping the insanity, bots and spam away) and to DMVPiranha for his excellent pre and post game posts (as well as for helping to moderate the board).

4/26/2020 11:50 am  #72

Sad news for the Mazzulla family.  

4/26/2020 12:38 pm  #73

Yes, his illness was known inside the program but was not mentioned outside per Justin's wishes. Prayers and condolences to the Mazzulla family. 

4/26/2020 2:00 pm  #74

Was the illness of Justin's father a factor in his having left the team so early in the season?

4/26/2020 2:22 pm  #75

Don't think it was the only factor or main factor but definitely a factor.

4/26/2020 3:13 pm  #76

I have a hazy memory that Hobbs and the elder Mazzulla were friends (maybe played against each other in HS?) which was part of the reason we recruited Joe.

4/26/2020 3:37 pm  #77

BM wrote:

I have a hazy memory that Hobbs and the elder Mazzulla were friends (maybe played against each other in HS?) which was part of the reason we recruited Joe.

Actually Lonergan first recruited Justin and Mojo continued. Don't think it had anything to do with Hobbs even though they may have known each other.

4/26/2020 4:23 pm  #78

GWRising wrote:

BM wrote:

Actually Lonergan first recruited Justin and Mojo continued. Don't think it had anything to do with Hobbs even though they may have known each other.

I said Joe.  His older brother.

4/26/2020 4:29 pm  #79

I am sorry to learn of his passing. May Dan Rest In Peace, my thoughts and prayers are with Justin and his family.  

4/26/2020 4:54 pm  #80

BM wrote:

GWRising wrote:

BM wrote:

I said Joe.  His older brother.

OK missed that ... thought you meant Justin. However, doubt they would have played against each other in HS as I believe Danny Mazzulla was at least 3-4 years older than Karl. Plus Karl was from Boston and Danny from Johnston, RI. Possible but not likely.

The connection might have been that Karl recruited the AAU program BABC and Danny coached there. I'll see if I can find out. 

Board footera