GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2020 9:57 am  #1

Dirkk Surles

Nice article today.  Not sure if it is a reprint from 2016 or a new article, but I hadn't seen this one before.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/2020/05/19/soaring-surles-inducted-into-george-washington-hof-2016/5196327002/

5/21/2020 1:17 pm  #2

Re: Dirkk Surles

I recall previously reading this story, but doesn't matter. We can never get enough Dirkk Surles, one the most exciting players in GW history. His dunks and energy were a delight.

5/22/2020 1:16 am  #3

Just before my time, what an athlete he was! Met him year later very nice guy

FB friends, he was playing softball in Indiana as recently as a few year ago! One of the guys who really helped kickstart the program, and then the Big Man took things to the next level

5/22/2020 8:18 am  #4

Agree with GW 73. Dirkk was a power house. His junior year GW played at Temple. This was a top ten Temple Team  that each year destroyed GW. Dirkk took over the game and GW won at Temple. Something that never happened. Dirkk should have made the NBA. I believe the Bulls looked at him. Coming from GW gave him a lesser perception of greatness. Over the last 5 decades, I have had many favorite GW players. None have been able to displace Dirkk from my number 1 slot.

5/22/2020 9:23 am  #5

All you really ever need to know about Dirkk was that he stared down the Michigan Fab 5 and told his teammates that "they're freshmen."  He was fearless in his approach to the game, and not about to be intimidated by a group of guys younger than him, no matter how heralded they may have been..  And, he is right about perception.  Most people will remember him for the high flying dunks but the fact is that he was a very complete player on both ends of the floor.  Thanks for posting this article.

5/22/2020 5:07 pm  #6

Cutis, I'm with you. Dirkk is No. 1. He was a fearless leader. I went to that game at Temple. Not sure why considering how Temple always crushed us and my character deficiency of not being able to handle defeats very well. But hey, it's almost 30 years later, I am over loss to Fab 5, so it was fun watching him in that game on Youtube a few weeks ago.  

5/26/2020 3:37 pm  #7

Don't know if anyone remembers, but there was one game where believe Dirkk took a pass and did
something amazing that can only be described in memory as kind of a 360 degree reverse dunk.
Just marveled at his amazing athleticism. Probably a talent in a number of sports.

Board footera