GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2020 9:24 pm  #1

Coach Lonergan

I think a program should hire him, he was far from perfect, but the guy is an excellent Coach, and I believe in life in 2nd and 3rd chances. Obvi, not at GW but some program in America.

Coach ML is still relatively young and has a lot of good things he can do in life.  I strongly disaproved of some of his actions at GW, but he also pulled off a great turnaround and he did it recruiting great student athletes, one after another after another, players GW can be proud of, on and off the court. Great young men, many who are off doing great things in their 20s in life.

I'd welcome his return to the Coaching ranks, I don't believe in banishing guys endlessly, who made some mistakes.  We all do in life.

7/07/2020 8:53 am  #2

Re: Coach Lonergan

ML deserves a second chance. I find it crazy that we have people arguing for release of those who have committed actual crimes and a second chance who will then say that someone who possibly said some mean or demeaning words but otherwise was an exemplary coach doesn't deserve one and should be canceled forever He is too good a coach not to be coaching. 

7/07/2020 9:10 am  #3

A dose of reality might do us all some good, particularly the individual who began the thread likely out of boredom.  Let's not make the mistake of believing that ML is applying for jobs all over the country and nobody is willing to take a chance on him.  This is an entirely false narrative.

Instead, ML received (or continues to receive) what amounts to millions of dollars in settlement money.  He gets to live and raise his family in the area where he grew up.  He is financially secure enough to never have to coach again if that's what he chooses.  That said, I believe he would be highly interested in a head coaching opportunity that did not involve his having to relocate his family.  If or when Ryan Odom leaves UMBC, as an example, that would be a perfect landing spot.  

I have never been convinced that ML made mistakes (certainly large ones) or needs to show contrition as much as he arguably could have handled matters a bit better. Given the ongoing train wreck that the former AD was orchestrating around him involving his players, it's easy for reasonable people to understand why ML would become so enraged.  Taking out your frustrations by sarcastically commenting about the AD to his players, if in fact this was true, is something ML should not have done.  Nevertheless, it's very easy to see why he would have done this.

7/07/2020 11:31 am  #4

Beat the #2 team in the country that year and still didn't make the tournament with an incredibly deep squad. Enough said. 

7/07/2020 11:36 am  #5

fungerhall wrote:

Beat the #2 team in the country that year and still didn't make the tournament with an incredibly deep squad. Enough said. 

#2 team????? Which one was that? 

7/07/2020 11:52 am  #6

GWRising wrote:

fungerhall wrote:

#2 team????? Which one was that? 

Okay, number 6 team: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/george-washington-stuns-no-6-virginia/2015/11/16/3e683766-8cb6-11e5-ae1f-af46b7df8483_story.html

You get the point. 

7/07/2020 1:02 pm  #7

4 years later and we are still talking about ML. Just shows you how far our program has fallen and how long it's taking us to become respectable again.

We don't hear much from the dude anymore (I'm not complaining) but since there's not much positive news lately with GW (other than maybe we will end up in the #9 spot instead of #11 this year) I can see why he keeps going back to the good days.

I don't know ML personally but know people close to him. Not only did he receive a settlement tjhat takes care of him and his family for life courtesy of GW, but I hear he's in no rush to get back into college basketball. If his Facebook posts are any indication, he seems to be having a very good time watching his kids grow up, watching their sporting games, going to his beach house, and sending his large brood to private schools and universities. He deserved every penny he received from GW.

Mojo will also do OK after the debacle of 2016. He will learn his trade over time and eventually become a good head coach in some program.

In a few years, the discussion will then turn to JC. My prediction is we will still be in the cellar of the A-10 and thus talking about ML 3 years from now, which does not bode well for our team.

Raise high once again!

7/07/2020 10:17 pm  #8

It's so easy to forget just how badly Mike behaved as our coach given our lack of success on the court ever since. When the Colonials (led by JC) are able to show their stuff, we will see a team that we are proud of as they again become a force in the A-10. 

Raise high!

7/08/2020 6:14 am  #9

This thread

7/08/2020 8:25 am  #10

poor horse!

7/08/2020 1:05 pm  #11

Not sure this will ever be beating a dead horse. The problem is the horse never died. With each passing year there are new revelations. I expect more to eventually come out as there is MUCH more that has been largely kept from the public. One day I suspect it will all come out as nothing stays a secret forever when multiple parties know about it.

7/08/2020 7:25 pm  #12

What concerns me is that some people still care about this stuff.I guess I’ve developed “empathy fatigue”
in my old age-but-I just don’t get it.

12/17/2020 9:51 pm  #13

What happened to the post from Mentz on here?  Was that real or was satire or something?

Board footera