GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2020 10:00 am  #21

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

I'd like to see the Colonial name remain unchanged. However, if the university decides to change the name, I would understand, because in today's divided country, it seems to me that people are exceptionally passionate about either making massive change or holding on to the past.  I can see both sides.  

Agree 100%.  Don't want to see the name changed, but rather using this as an opportunity to educate and create awareness.  But I fully expect the name to be changed.

That being said, I am in complete opposition with the rest of the board on the name (if it must be changed). 

Make us the Fighting Hippos.  Or Runnin' Hippos.  The best nicknames and mascots are often inside jokes and humorous. Or come from chants and fight songs.  

Is the Hippos name stupid?  Yes. Absolutely.

Does it have anything to do with George Washington?  No.  It was a punch line to a strange decision by SJT.

Does it matter?  No.

What matters is that it is Is it memorable.  It is brandable.  In its goofiness, it becomes something that can be a positive.  Create a legend around George Washington and hippos.  Whatever.  We've gone to the absurd by changing the name in the first place (assuming that happens).  Let's take advantage of it and stand out in the crowd.

Let's not do the "ordinary" of naming ourselves something safe and boring.  Let's be goofy as shit and have some fun with it, if we must change our name.  

7/21/2020 10:20 am  #22

If it were to change, I would like it to be something that honors the men (whom our University’s namesake led) in the fight for Independence. Such as Continentals, Militiamen, or something similar.

I’ve always liked monikers that are human as opposed to animals and have a cool connection to the University or the state. Something to take pride in. The Tennessee Volunteers, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and FSU Seminoles come to mind.

7/21/2020 10:35 am  #23

BGF, I will bite.  Why must it be changed?

In all of my years on campus, as both a student and a season ticket holder, I have yet to have a conversation where anyone expressed anger, hurt feelings, or disappointment about this moniker.  I had several friends who were international students, nary a word.

My mind is open about this.  If Colonials is offensive, I'd like to know precisely why this is.  I read ColonialNY's post and am in agreement.  George Washington fought against Colonial rule.  Is this inaccurate?

George Washington was a slave owner as well as the Father of our country and our first president.  If you don't want to glorify the man and feel the university's name should be changed,  I can't say I agree with this either but at least I clearly comprehend this point of view.

Most polls indicated that 90%+ of Native Americans had no objection to the Redskin nickname.  Nevertheless, this one is easy to understand.  If it's genuinely offensive to even a handful, change it.

I can't put Colonials in this same category, at least not yet.  If anyone can explain to me why anyone would genuinely be offended by the name Colonials, please let me know.  Am not trying to be a smart aleck about this; I can definitely use the education.

There is a school of thought which has been alluded to on this thread.  2020 has been filled with protesters and as FredD puts very well, "cultural hot button issues."  Nobody ought to be interested in change for the sake of change.  Or because it's timely, or cool, or anything along these lines.  If there are real, legitimate issues for why Colonials should be changed (again, not George Washington, am referring to Colonials), they should be articulated and carefully considered.  My barometer is a simple one...are people genuinely offended, and if so, why?   

Last edited by Gwmayhem (7/21/2020 11:22 am)

7/21/2020 10:37 am  #24

jmoiii2016 wrote:

If it were to change, I would like it to be something that honors the men (whom our University’s namesake led) in the fight for Independence. Such as Continentals, Militiamen, or something similar.

I’ve always liked monikers that are human as opposed to animals and have a cool connection to the University or the state. Something to take pride in. The Tennessee Volunteers, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and FSU Seminoles come to mind.

Mitch Albom had a great line about this.  Teams should no longer be named after groups of people.  Everyone gets offended.  Team names should be restricted to animals and weather conditions only.  

7/21/2020 10:41 am  #25

1. Who cares
2. How many times do we need the same exact thread

7/21/2020 10:45 am  #26

For starters, I consider myself somewhat progressive. I'm one of those guys that says "Washington NFL team" guys. But I'm having trouble understanding how Colonials is offensive. Has anyone actually suggested that it is offensive/has anyone actually stated that they are personally offended? Or are we still in the theoretically it could be offensive phase? I understand "Colonials" necessarily invokes colonization which was a pretty bad deal for a lot of people around the world. But at some point words have objective meaning. Colonials refers to the the folks living in the American colonies.

My first (random) thought when I saw the press release was that "Yankee Doodle Dandy" was originally sang by the British to tease the drunk and undisciplined colonial militia soldiers. The term Yankee was an insult. 

Anyways, if we're gonna change it I want a mascot unique to GW. Unfortunately, Hippo and its plural (hippopotamuses or hippopotami?) doesn't really roll off the tongue. What about doing something like Stanford and go by the "Buffs" in reference to the color. We could use the hippo and George as the mascot.

Last edited by Geno (7/21/2020 10:45 am)

7/21/2020 11:07 am  #27

I have a degree in History from GW. And I am outraged that people would even consider the name change to placate people who are just plain ignorant of what  Colonials stands for in relation to the this university. People who are Not alumni should not have the power to change things at my university, If the Administration (who are probably Not alumni) will give into ignorant, misinformed protestors I'm with JP.  Let the Administration find donations from the people who want the change. In most cases those students who want the change will not give a dime to the University after they graduate, if they do graduate.  

7/21/2020 11:08 am  #28

And I DO NOT want to change my board name!

7/21/2020 11:57 am  #29

Personally:

I've long been open to changing the nickname, but for different reasons from the campaign. Like many, I've thought Colonials never made sense as a nickname -- with George Washington having led efforts to make a population not be colonized.

Hippo is a particularly awful nickname. Let's go with Generals and call it a day. I don't care one bit about the Washington Generals/Harlem Globetrotters aspect. We can keep branding the same.

Also open to other thematic monikers.

7/21/2020 12:49 pm  #30

Have to admit I find this review of “Colonials” to be nonsensical, exceeded in stupidity only by any introduction of “hippos” into the conversation. We can thank Dr. Mike for the inflatable hippo that graced the Smith Center as a consequence of President Trachtenberg’s hippo whatever it was - mirth, tax write off, marriage saver. Classmate TC and others have it about right. I like being able to play William and Mary in sports but would hate to think we couldn’t play them at their place in the future since they’re so close to Colonial Williamsburg. In the end, my interest and financial  support for GW athletics isn’t tied to whatever moniker the school uses. I’m perplexed by the logic being used to explain how it’s offensive to foreign students out of context. Same with the slaveholder tag laid on anyone in an era when, however unfortunate, slaveholding was allowed and part of the economy. Don’t bury the history. Teach and explain it. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Well, not unless it’s a baby hippo.

Last edited by Poog (7/21/2020 12:54 pm)

7/21/2020 2:25 pm  #31

Dr. Mike I’ve been through multiple iterations of season ticket holder “perks” including the AD Club private room to get hot dogs and popcorn where the Champions Club evolved as well as the little brown goodie bags delivered to our seats (btw, seats that were guaranteed to us in perpetuity for renewing our ST’s after the 1-27 season). Not to worry, your buddy SD protects your legacy, if not your golf game.

7/21/2020 3:01 pm  #32

Gwmayhem wrote:

Actually, I agree with you completely.  My argument is that the name should remain Colonials.  But, I am expecting that the powers that be will disagree.  I will always think of us as the Colonials and hope the name remains.

However, when (if) it doesn't, we should look at how to turn this into a marketing opportunity.  

Barry

7/21/2020 3:05 pm  #33

Liked the suggestion to refer to us as the Buffs.  I would get behind that, but again I believe we should keep Colonials.  

7/21/2020 3:47 pm  #34

Does anybody wonder what the world of the future is going to think about us when they look at what we are allowing to happen. I hope that we will be considered the most insane ever.

Stop the lunacy!!

7/21/2020 5:07 pm  #35

Don't make me laugh.We are what we do today. If the school is concerned about the school is viewed, then just be more supportive the people in the city--become more welcoming to people from all parts of our broad  society.. As they say, lead with your actions. Changing the name is a news cycle act.

Last edited by russianthistle (7/21/2020 5:07 pm)

7/21/2020 6:21 pm  #36

BGF wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Actually, I agree with you completely.  My argument is that the name should remain Colonials.  But, I am expecting that the powers that be will disagree.  I will always think of us as the Colonials and hope the name remains.

However, when (if) it doesn't, we should look at how to turn this into a marketing opportunity.  

Barry

Barry, I feel mostly the same as you about this. However, in today's world many people, although I think mainly people of color, are rightly starting to question so many American symbols and names, which were mostly established by white people. I can't speak for anyone other than me, but it hurts me and a lot of good people I know to every day see the reverence the country pays to confederate soldiers and the owners of slaves.  I feel many of our great GW basketball players feel the same way, but of course I could be incorrect about that.  So, if the university decides to change the nickname, I understand many people will be upset for many reasons. Some will be upset because they don't mind it if the name "Colonials" makes someone, or some group of people, feel uncomfortable or badly. Others will be upset because they rightly see the good things associated with the nickname.  But there will also be other people that will feel more included and more valued if the moniker is changed.  I don't think it's stupid if the name is changed and I'm fine with whatever decision the university makes.

7/21/2020 8:41 pm  #37

This is the kind of crap that drives me crazy.Its the kind of situation that gives the “right” fodder.
Like TC I  graduated with a degree in History (concentration Russian revolutionary history)then came back to 
pick up courses I needed for my future career..As a therapist it’s OK for a while to let your patient hold 
on to whatever reality they choose-but at some point the difference between what’s”real” and what’s””true”
becomes paramount to their well being even if they are resistant at first.For instance someonethinksthey areJesus Christ -that’s “real” to them,but it isn’t “true”.This person would probably be considered psychotic.
we all have to check ourselves all day long to make sure that what’s real and and what’s true are as close to 
the same as possible.Whats real and true is that the name Colonial is perfectly reasonable.Their are few
definitions of good Mental Health -but if someone’s reality i(what’s in their head )corresponds to what’s true-
the better they are able to function.Lets not give in to this psychosis!!

7/21/2020 9:53 pm  #38

GW69 - the problem that we have now is that there are those who demand that everyone agree with and accept the reality in their head...no matter if it's the truth or not. A psychotic is an ill person, and I'm willing to call them Jesus if they want me to call them Jesus. But society (as well as GW) is not only calling them Jesus, but praying to them. We can't bend to everyone's psychotic reality. The sane have to maintain reality, or we won't have a "real" reality any more.

Oh and Russian T, you are so right. Is changing the nickname of The George Washington University going to change a thing in the greater picture? Of course not. Rather than deal with the nickname, make the school better. Help the locals learn. I'll bet you that there are some DC public school kids who could use a good tudor. Some hungry who could use food. Do good, don't do BS.

Last edited by chrisw (7/21/2020 9:58 pm)

7/21/2020 10:23 pm  #39

Lot of good comments here for those who choose to participate. This is really disturbing because it is based not on justice, but ignorance.

Poog wrote:

Have to admit I find this review of “Colonials” to be nonsensical, exceeded in stupidity only by any introduction of “hippos” into the conversation.

A small, seemingly ignorant group of students and some professors right out of the stereotypical handbook encourage it too. Believe the petition bar was set very low. This review or investigation best not be cooked, as the things seem to often be. The committee may presage action, since it's easier to give into the mob, however small, than defend something that seems inappropriate to anyone who hasn't fully embraced their expensive education. 
 Not worth going into the stupidity of the idea that Colonials is wrong. But it seems to be based on the thought that Colonials can be seen as colonizers, particularly overseas. Actually, people overseas who care about these things are better educated about American history and most know a lot about America, even if we know nothing about their country. So this straw man argument doesn't work. Do they have some sort of remedial American history course the students who are pushing this nonsense can take?
Again, if we were the Colonizers, have at it. Change the name. But don't think that would have escaped most of the people on this board who would not stand for it, as students or alumni. But actually the Colonials were oppressed or certainly saw themselves that way. So it has the opposite meaning of what the idiots seeking to change the name are saying. That this is not apparent to students or faculty promoting a $75,000 a year education and getting the same degree as we did when there were at least some academic standards, is disheartening.
  If one wants to discussed Cloyd Heck Marvin or whatever his name was, and remove him, that's fine. May well be long overdue. And even Madison, Monroe Hall, etc. can be at least fodder for discussion. Even George Washington mis a topic for debate, though removing the name might be a bit tricky at The George Washington University. But educated people can discuss it--and there have been thoughtful comments here about it.
  But leave the Colonials alone, ignorant wannabe "Hippos."
  Frankly, the students have no more right to their input on this than alumni. Less so, because they haven't graduated yet. This does not concern living conditions, dorms, current course or the lack of any cafeteria for plentiful and affordable food,which they may want to look into if they lack something to do. This is our school and the team name.
It's not a transient thing. So alumni get equal and extra weight. Not that GW ever gave much of a damn about the bulk of its alumni in its incredibly weak efforts.
  This is going to cost the school money if it happens. Not just to redo uniforms, etc. Donors, including many here won't take well to this. Universities do and should take this into account. Not if it was a moral imperative. But this isn't even Princeton taking the name off the Wilson School because of Woodrow Wilson. There is no intelligent justification made so far about the Colonial name. Other than it sounds like something else. 
Basically, the school has done everything it could to turn us off GW basketball. Being a fan, a supporter and for many here, a donor, is a real challenge normally. But especially the past five years of coverups, recriminations, lack of information,etc. Plus we have frankly sucked, though our loyalties (to the Colonials) has survived the suckig. It's the other nonsense that is really disturbing--and more of the previous dysfunction keeps getting revealed.
 GW basketball keeps shooting itself in the foot with its dozens of loyal fans and it gets harder and harder to take, especially when things actually could be looking up.
   Glad to support genuine student activism on whatever side, as long as they are within the bounds of decency--and sometimes they aren't. Actually a bit proud of it, often. Making a difference in America is what many went to GW to do.
   But seriously, this is your stand? Society is crumbling, with the fabric torn more than anytime in recent history.
The '60s are starting to look like a walk in the park. Race relations are terrible and the divide is fueled from a few blocks away. People are out of work, we are relitigating the Civil War for some reason. Work to eliminate public symbols of the Confederacy if you think that will help the divide. Over 140,000 Americans have died and countless injured permanently--and the toll increase every day with no clear strategy to stop it.
   If GW starts in the fall, it won't end normally, and it will be at the risk of students and faculty/staff, in particular.
The odds are really good that there won't be GW basketball in November, anyway, and if there somehow is, spectators may not be allowed to see it. Again, the whole school year and living in school is in turmoil. Like America.
   We have an election coming up. A number of people here were in the protests of the 60's and early 70's where GW was a focus point. Right now, unidentified federal forces are on the streets, including reports now say Washington, right where GW is located. There is an election in 2020 that may well hinge on the future of our democracy.
   But, hey students, with everything going on, expend all this energy on changing the name from Colonials. Even if they were revolutionaries, not what you are trying to say they represent. Because the words sound alike.
Bravo. That will really make a difference.

7/22/2020 12:31 pm  #40

OK. In respect for all my Russian and Eastern European teachers at GW (Thompson, Petrov etc.) I like the name Counter-Revolutionaries. Now, does that mean Menshevicks,sp.  Whites, Anarchists, Kolchaks whatever? As for the guys in Portland, we had the CDU guys who were really dangerous. No comparison.

Board footera