GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2020 1:48 pm  #61

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

I think we should sit back and take our lead from Robert Morris.  But if we did make our change, we should go with either the Colonels (since half the nation would not even know there has been a name change) or the Generals (which would be absolutely hilarious).

7/26/2020 9:50 am  #62

TC-I knew the Gulag story-but not the other one-good stuff.Those were the days my friend.

8/04/2020 8:53 am  #63

Count me as one who doesn't care one way or the other about the name.  Keep the colors.  Keep the fight song.  Nobody ever says the name right anyway.  It's not like we have a great logo that makes me that excited.

What's more frustrating is that the time and energy focused on a name could be focused on actually treating these athletes properly.  Rather than spend 2M on a name change, I'd rather the athletes get paid.  At the very least, make sure they are safe and comfortable during COVID.  I guess we all have different priorities.

8/04/2020 9:06 am  #64

Dr Mike wrote:

Observation, the letter from LeBlanc and Vogel announcing the cut of 7 sports did not reference Colonials. Instead, it was Buff and Blue. Probably a good sign Colonials is in the past. 

I don't interpret this as a done deal Dr. Mike.  More like an acknowledgement that the name is upsetting to some, is under review, and will therefore respectfully not be used by the university while under review.

8/04/2020 5:31 pm  #65

7 sports cut for financial reasons, but let's greatly upset many athletic donors by changing the team name.
In the midst of a pandemic, with a plummeting economy and death around every corner.
Where students can't even safely come to class. And there are no fall sports with the Colonials.
   Hopefully, this letter with the already disturbing news wasn't an attempt to move away from the Colonials name. Athletic Dept. would be making a big mistake to ride with this.
.But let's spend $2 million to rebrand in the midst of a pandemic and economic collapse.
 This is not an issue where current students have more of a vote. In fact, until they've proven they can graduate and stick with GW, their input counts less.
    More than 1,000 dying a day, medical issues become politicized, race relations at their worst in modern memory, we may actually have a civil war over a presidential election. 
Yet, let's get rid of the Colonials name because it sounds like something else (Colonialism), even though it actually conveys the opposite.
  Those pushing this must be really proud of coming to GW and taking advantage of the chance to have meaningful political participation in Washington by changing their school's nickname.

8/04/2020 5:34 pm  #66

I'd be cool changing the name just not to have to see this identical thread year after year, after year after year.
GW Lions, anything. 

8/04/2020 8:38 pm  #67

The Dude wrote:

I'd be cool changing the name just not to have to see this identical thread year after year, after year after year.
GW Lions, anything. 

Dude, I'm laughing at your post, and you're not at all wrong. 

8/06/2020 1:43 pm  #68

Dude you are so right! This could be our new “Should Bonds/Rose/Clemens be in the Hall?” Evergreen topic with all the calm civil brotherly rationality these questions bring to public spaces.

8/06/2020 2:27 pm  #69

FredD wrote:

Dude you are so right! This could be our new “Should Bonds/Rose/Clemens be in the Hall?” Evergreen topic with all the calm civil brotherly rationality these questions bring to public spaces.

Fred - do you mean that you don't think we have enough on the current slate of civil evergreen topics already (Lonergan v. Nero, Penders Settlement, 5th recruit, Why we are not Duke/Gonzaga, etc.)?  

Last edited by GWRising (8/06/2020 2:28 pm)

8/06/2020 3:25 pm  #70

A lot of times if I'm not interested in a topic on an internet forum I'll just ignore it.

8/19/2020 1:30 pm  #71

8/19/2020 3:39 pm  #72

David Silverman was my 2nd favorite professor at GW. (2nd only to Ambassador Gnehm). Love that guy. He's also an expert on Colonial America, for whatever that's worth.

8/19/2020 3:56 pm  #73

Stupidity and Ignorance reigns. I can't support stupidity. And this is just plain stupid. They shall reap the whirlwind.

8/19/2020 3:58 pm  #74

I had a class with Silverman as well. He’s a very sharp dude and his lectures were great. Based on his area of expertise, I’d bet a lot of money he all in for changing the moniker. Sadly, I know Denver Brunsman wants to change to moniker as well. I unfortunately never had a class with him, but heard he is awesome as well though.

8/19/2020 4:28 pm  #75

1. Pandemic and it’s financial impact aside I’m more concerned about keeping JC and this class bc I don’t think they playing this year.

2. I didn’t have a problem with the name but understand. My concern is a  replacement, new colors and massive stupidity and ineptitude surrounding this which would be the GW way.

8/19/2020 4:32 pm  #76

Looks like the fix is in on the committee. However, maybe it's a smokescreen to give them cover not to change it. We shall see. 

8/19/2020 9:52 pm  #77

Yeah, it's over for the Colonial name.  The committee just gives it cover.  When has a special committee ever been established, and no changes been made.  The sad thing is, with the amount of money that they are going to spend on rebranding (new trademarks, etc...), they could have done a lot of good for actual individuals of color (new scholarships, academic programs, etc.).  This is another clear case of focusing on the superficial aspects of systemic racism instead of doing that hard work to engage in programs that actual would make a difference in someone's life.  This is all virtual signaling at an institutional level, and nothing more.

8/19/2020 10:14 pm  #78

porter 71, you must know that virtue signaling is one of the great traditions of GW, starting with the administration and moving on down to alumni and students. It's been that way for many years. If only we had 20% tangible action behind those words, 80% of the world's problems would be solved right here in Foggy Bottom.

8/20/2020 6:15 am  #79

Yeah, the name is as good as gone.  I am sure they will look for a non-offensive nickname and logo (sorry BM, as much as I love yours, it is too violent for today's world).  But, there will be some sort of push-back on whatever they choose. 

Would love to be a fly on the wall in these meetings, as well as the back room meetings where the decisions are made.  I wonder if anyone will speak up about fighting the Brits for Independence?  Or will the focus be on the non-pertinent issue of colonialism?

8/20/2020 6:42 am  #80

Nice to see cynicism still alive and well on gwhoops2. Not predicting anything but that’s not a rubber stamp group of committee members who will be intimidated or silenced by the presumed positions of a couple of academics. That $2 million price tag that has surfaced as the cost of making the change is not likely to be irrelevant either.

Board footera