GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2020 5:10 pm  #21

Re: More crap for GW´s pooper-scooper

Why did she live a lie?  When she applied for employment at GW, how many other other more candid and truthful applicants were affected and denied the position?  Perhaps she did not care because there were no repercussions for Elizabeth Warren (and others?)? In any case, she should be a former GW employee.    

9/04/2020 8:11 pm  #22

This has nothing to do with GW-this could have happened anywhere.Thus is someone with serious issues
who needs a lot of help.This is personal-not universal-it’s not even about race.I don’t know where to start -so 
I won’t.

9/04/2020 8:29 pm  #23

I just want to clarify-my statement doesn’t in any way absolve her of her behavior nor its consequences.
Most of us “pay” at some point for our unresolved issues.She is now.

9/08/2020 11:20 am  #24

The heat is increasing on LeBlanc around campus. He's probably regretting leaving the "U" right about now. If he did his due diligence, he would have known we have a history of dysfunctional administrations.

9/09/2020 4:53 pm  #25

As per this report, she has resigned from the faculty and hopefully this becomes just another crummy annecdote in GWU history...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/jessica-krug-resigns-from-position-at-gwu/2020/09/09/d4cf7394-f2d8-11ea-bc45-e5d48ab44b9f_story.html

9/09/2020 7:46 pm  #26

I just heard her speaking...what an insult to Blacks. There is nothing worse than a white person trying to speak "ghetto". She shouldn't have been allowed to resign...she should have been fired.

Last edited by chrisw (9/09/2020 7:47 pm)

9/09/2020 8:18 pm  #27

chrisw,  she also claimed to be from the streets of New York!! 

What do you guys think her next move will be? Maybe she'll remove the black/brown dye from her hair and reemerge as the Jewish woman she was born as? 

9/09/2020 8:31 pm  #28

There are other GW professors on CNN & MSNBC who do the school proud with their commentary on Covd-19.  Thomas, her (Krug) next move should be a year or two of therapy.   What she did was wrong, but I still feel sorry for her.

9/09/2020 8:35 pm  #29

9/09/2020 9:28 pm  #30

BC wrote:

There are other GW professors on CNN & MSNBC who do the school proud with their commentary on Covd-19.  Thomas, her (Krug) next move should be a year or two of therapy.   What she did was wrong, but I still feel sorry for her.

Not to downplay the possible mental health problems with Jessica Krug, but I believe the main reason she(and others who have done similar acts) did this as a way to Get Over and/or Scam people!! It's been written that she has been estranged from her family for 20+ years, so it's possible she became intrigued with black/brown culture when she was younger and eventually decided she would become black herself. I think she felt she'd be more credible teaching courses about African and Latino history as a person of color instead of a white Jewish woman. Down below I posted a tweet from a GW student who took her 'Afro Latinx History' class, and she mentioned that Jessica Krug would "discuss the dynamics of white scholars engaging in black studies."

https://twitter.com/LenaHaime/status/1301616392437932032  

9/11/2020 11:15 am  #31

Thomas wrote:

BC wrote:

Not to downplay the possible mental health problems with Jessica Krug, but I believe the main reason she(and others who have done similar acts) did this as a way to Get Over and/or Scam people!! It's been written that she has been estranged from her family for 20+ years, so it's possible she became intrigued with black/brown culture when she was younger and eventually decided she would become black herself. I think she felt she'd be more credible teaching courses about African and Latino history as a person of color instead of a white Jewish woman. Down below I posted a tweet from a GW student who took her 'Afro Latinx History' class, and she mentioned that Jessica Krug would "discuss the dynamics of white scholars engaging in black studies."

I have empathy for Krug too. I feel she is a sick person in need of help. But I don't believe her apology, because she only came forward when she was about to be "outed".  I feel what she did was disgusting and I feel much worse for the black community (vs. how badly I feel for her) because she made a mockery of black people.  Maybe not on purpose, but that was the result.  I know people that actually think this story is funny. I don't think anyone on this site has said they thought it was funny, but there certainly are some "Dr." Krug apologists here.  I can only speak for myself and the people that are close to me that have discussed the story with me, but we feel let down, embarrassed, used, and we believe it's another set-back to making things better for black people in the United States.  It's like throwing a stone to someone who's drowning.

9/11/2020 2:12 pm  #32

22ndandF wrote:

Thomas wrote:

BC wrote:

I have empathy for Krug too. I feel she is a sick person in need of help. But I don't believe her apology, because she only came forward when she was about to be "outed".  I feel what she did was disgusting and I feel much worse for the black community (vs. how badly I feel for her) because she made a mockery of black people.  Maybe not on purpose, but that was the result.  I know people that actually think this story is funny. I don't think anyone on this site has said they thought it was funny, but there certainly are some "Dr." Krug apologists here.  I can only speak for myself and the people that are close to me that have discussed the story with me, but we feel let down, embarrassed, used, and we believe it's another set-back to making things better for black people in the United States.  It's like throwing a stone to someone who's drowning.

Yeah, Jessica Krug definitely made a mockery of black people, especially with how she attempted to "talk black" and claimed to be from the streets, but at least she was educating and possibly uplifting and inspiring black, brown and non-black/brown students as a professor. That's the ONLY positive thing I'll say about Jessica Krug. We usually see this sort of thing in music/entertainment where someone like J.Krug can become very rich by performing and/or producing "urban" content and turn the "black switch" off when they aren't performing!! Jessica Krug looked to be fully invested in being a person of color. 

9/11/2020 3:59 pm  #33

Thomas, I'm with you on this. It could have been worse for sure.  I feel you are a voice of reason.

9/17/2020 8:06 pm  #34

Sort of kicking a dead horse, but there is an article in the New Yorker about Krug. I haven't read it all yet (but will). It's worse than I thought, and brings in another GW Professor.

"G.W. professor, H. G. Carrillo, (who) died, in April, at the age of fifty-nine, due to complications of the novel coronavirus. Carrillo...was known as a queer Cuban-American author who captured the estranged experience of the Latin American diaspora, notably in his novel “Loosing My Espanish,” from 2004. Upon reading a tribute to the author in the Washington Post, however, Carrillo’s sister and niece contacted the paper with some critical updated information: Carrillo was not born in Cuba but in the United States, Detroit to be exact. His parents were also born in Michigan, and they, like Carrillo (born Herman Glenn Carroll), were Black Americans with no Latino heritage. This was a shock to Carrillo’s husband and to the literary community, prompting conversations among Afro-Latinx writers who had counted him as one of their own."

Does GW not even check the details of their staff? A jewish woman pretending to be a black woman. A black man pretending to be a Cuban "Afro-Latin"? Really? Is anyone honest anymore?

Read the article if you want. The world is disturbing!

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-layered-deceptions-of-jessica-krug-the-black-studies-professor-who-hid-that-she-is-white

Chris

9/17/2020 8:36 pm  #35

Do we expect GW to do FBI level background checks now?   For a top-secret post perhaps, but how far back should GW go?   Was his last position rating satisfactory?  The one before that?   Do we want a paranoid world where we do genetic testing on the faculty?  Should GW check out the students as well?    What's a reasonable amount of due diligence that we should expect?

9/17/2020 9:22 pm  #36

More than they did, BC. More than they did.

9/17/2020 9:45 pm  #37

chrisw,  I also came across that article yesterday and thought about posting it here, but never got around to it/didn't want to pile on. Luckily for GW, Carillo's story probably won't get a lot of traction since H.G.Carillo/Herman Glenn Carroll has passed, he also stopped teaching at GW in 2015. But I must pose this question, did Jessica Krug and H.G ever cross paths while at GW?? Maybe they discussed their life experiences as Afro-Latinos in America!! LOL But seriously, it looks like they were both teaching at GW from 2012-2015.

BC,  I agree with you, I'm not sure how you can really prevent this because if a professor's academic credentials check out(Krug and H.G.'s both did), what more can you do? The academic credentials are the most important thing here. Some commenters on social media are complaining that people at GW should have known or done something, but in a CIVILIZED environment, you can't just go around questioning someone's race or ethnicity(without substantial proof) because they don't look a certain way to you!! 

Last edited by Thomas (9/17/2020 9:55 pm)

9/17/2020 10:21 pm  #38

Richard Pryor´s character in "Bingo Long" decided to he was going to pose as Cuban so he could break the colour barrier and in to the big leagues. His attempts at Spanish were hillarious (as were most things Pryor did), way funnier than the masquerading going on at GW.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (9/18/2020 3:47 pm)

12/31/2020 1:18 pm  #39

Good read on this in the Chronicle of Higher Education (log in required).
https://www.chronicle.com/article/why-was-it-so-easy-for-jessica-krug-to-fool-everyone

1/12/2021 10:32 am  #40

Former poster and POS GW alumni asshat Clay Travis implicated in fascist Capitol coup attempt.
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1349012930096996355/photo/1
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1349012930096996355/photo/2

Board footera