GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2020 9:27 am  #41

Re: Good News Arriving Soon!

As I told you, good things come to those who wait. By this afternoon, you will have something to talk about. Enjoy. 

8/04/2020 11:11 am  #42

Done ... Brayon to GW!!!! Welcome to GW. Great get by JC and staff.

Last edited by GWRising (8/04/2020 11:15 am)

8/04/2020 11:13 am  #43

8/04/2020 11:15 am  #44

Cool video.  Welcome to Foggy Bottom Brayon.  Next year's two-person class looks to be a very special one.

8/04/2020 12:02 pm  #45

Ironically, Brayon knows where he'll be playing in 2021-22, but is likely less clear about 2020-21.  Huntington Prep has been a national powerhouse for the past ten years.  Three of their alum have gone on to become first round NBA draft picks including Andrew Wiggins, a former overall number one pick.  Players are enrolled at St. Joseph's High School and the basketball program had become known as Huntington Prep/St. Joseph's High School.  The basketball program historically paid the school tuition but due to Covid, was behind over $50,000 on tuition payments.  St. Joe's decided to end its relationship with Huntington Prep which really caught the program off guard.  The coach indicated that they were fully intending on squaring the tuition bill but needed more time due to the circumstances.  They wanted all of this handled privately but St. Joe's took to social media and the local newspaper to explain its position.  Reportedly, the school has gone so far as to withhold grades of graduating students thereby jeopardizing these students who will be playing in college to begin summer workouts (or whatever is going on these days) with their new schools.  Huintington Prep seems confident that it will forge a new relationship to provide academics for its players.  The coach claims to be in discussions with a few candidates.  It will be interesting to see whether Brayon remains with Huntington Prep  or for that matter, whether a high school basketball season will even exist in 2020-21. 

8/04/2020 12:50 pm  #46

Welcome home Brayon!  

8/04/2020 12:57 pm  #47

He was at Dematha as a freshman, O'Connell and a sophomore and Huntington as a Junior so not too hard to see him transfer back to DC to finish off his HS career.

8/04/2020 3:31 pm  #48

Way to go GW!!!! Welcome Brayon!!! I feel you will be loved by the fans and the school. I'm sure I speak for fans of GW by letting you know how excited we are!!! Great job to JC and the coaching staff and thank you again to GWRising for letting us know another great young man (and an excellent basketball player) will be joining the team!!! Raise High!!!!

8/04/2020 4:06 pm  #49

Great news! Way to go GW and welcome Brayon!!! 

8/04/2020 5:39 pm  #50

Welcome Brayon and family to the GW Colonial family.
The video was very clever and showed some very special talent. So Brayon is clearly talented on and off
the court.
 With a dynamic young coach and former guard mentoring him, Brayon's family and friends must feel
great to have him safely close to home at a great university. 
Welcome again to Brayon, his family and friends!

9/14/2020 11:15 am  #51

Not recruiting but related to existing player personnel.

Last edited by GWRising (9/14/2020 11:15 am)

9/14/2020 11:20 am  #52

Here is how I'll handicap this:

James Bishop receives transfer waiver            60%
Amir Harris medically cleared to play               20%
Bishop and Lindo receive transfer waivers        5%
Other                                                                15%

9/14/2020 11:32 am  #53

9/14/2020 12:36 pm  #54

Jeff Goodman  @GoodmanHoops4m James Bishop has received waiver to play this season, per George Washington coach Jamion Christian. Bishop transferred from LSU.

9/14/2020 12:54 pm  #55

Gwmayhem wrote:

Here is how I'll handicap this:

James Bishop receives transfer waiver            60%
Amir Harris medically cleared to play               20%
Bishop and Lindo receive transfer waivers        5%
Other                                                                15%

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

9/14/2020 12:55 pm  #56

BM wrote:

Jeff Goodman  @GoodmanHoops4m James Bishop has received waiver to play this season, per George Washington coach Jamion Christian. Bishop transferred from LSU.

My source is better and quicker than Goodman lol.

9/14/2020 1:53 pm  #57

Awesome news! I just happened to be watching this video earlier this week. Excited to see Bishop and Paar playing together again! (Hopefully this year).

https://youtu.be/u1eBstvhB6U

It's all good stuff, but skip to the 4:55 mark for some really fun highlights.

9/14/2020 2:18 pm  #58

Special thanks to the NCAA for granting this decision in September rather than December.

This gives the team as many as four combo guards in JNJ, Bishop, Brelsford and Ball.  My guess is that Ball now gets developed as a pure shooting guard/wing.  The other three will all have turns running the offense.  

Then, Brayon arrives a year later and the guess is that he and James become the primary point guards, JNJ and Tyler become more off-the-ball options.  

A wildcard in all of this will be JNJ.  Is the hope that he will learn to become a much more steady point guard or is the thought now to play to his strengths and not worry about his ball handling and distributing capabilities, feeling that we will now have more than enough depth at the point guard position for a while?

My thought:  I hope it's the latter.  Players like Carl Elliott and Joe McDonald made plenty of mistakes as freshmen point guards, but I never thought for a moment that they weren't point guards.  I can't make the same statement about JNJ which is ironic considering his father may arguably be the best point guard our conference has ever seen.  JNJ strikes me as an incredible athlete first and a position-less basketball player second.  When we consider that he did not play a lot of competitive basketball growing up, I would much rather see him making plays when the ball comes to him rather than focused on getting his teammates involved by learning the very complex nuances of playing the point at this level.

9/14/2020 2:19 pm  #59

GWRising(or anyone else who wants to chime in), looking at Bishop's high school and AAU videos, he appears to be a ball-dominant combo guard. Is JC going to have him play a Russell Westbrook/Ja Morant type of role where he runs the offense and shoots a lot? How is the coaching staff approaching the upcoming season with all the uncertainty due to COVID? Are the players on campus? Is the coaching staff proceeding as if they are going to have a full November to March/April season? 

Also, are they trying to get a waiver for Lindo? It will probably be a lot harder since Lindo went from College Park to NW D.C.(what is that, like a 45 minute drive!!), but they might as well give it a try since the every player who transfers seems to request a waiver nowadays. 

9/14/2020 3:09 pm  #60

Gwmayhem wrote:

Special thanks to the NCAA for granting this decision in September rather than December.

This gives the team as many as four combo guards in JNJ, Bishop, Brelsford and Ball.  My guess is that Ball now gets developed as a pure shooting guard/wing.  The other three will all have turns running the offense.  

Then, Brayon arrives a year later and the guess is that he and James become the primary point guards, JNJ and Tyler become more off-the-ball options.  

A wildcard in all of this will be JNJ.  Is the hope that he will learn to become a much more steady point guard or is the thought now to play to his strengths and not worry about his ball handling and distributing capabilities, feeling that we will now have more than enough depth at the point guard position for a while?

My thought:  I hope it's the latter.  Players like Carl Elliott and Joe McDonald made plenty of mistakes as freshmen point guards, but I never thought for a moment that they weren't point guards.  I can't make the same statement about JNJ which is ironic considering his father may arguably be the best point guard our conference has ever seen.  JNJ strikes me as an incredible athlete first and a position-less basketball player second.  When we consider that he did not play a lot of competitive basketball growing up, I would much rather see him making plays when the ball comes to him rather than focused on getting his teammates involved by learning the very complex nuances of playing the point at this level.

Gwmayhem, I feel you covered things really well.  I believe JNJ has the stuff to become a top-tier point guard.  I feel Jameer was asked to do more than he was prepared for last season. With that experience from last year, and some more time to learn develop, I believe we could see JNJ as one of the best point guards in GW history.  Of course with James and Brayon the following season on their way, JC has lots of options.  And even more that that, from what I see on the videos and have read here and on the links provided here, JC is assembling a group of A+++++ young men, all of which GW can be very proud of. I have every confidence that these players have entrusted their future to GW in many ways, so I sure hope the school treats them right and keeps things going.

I feel we're witnessing the rebirth of GW basketball under Tonya and JC's leadership and I feel it's a wonderful thing!!!

Board footera