GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2020 5:57 am  #21

Re: LeBlanc

Right now GW is not in the STEM game.If you want to start from scratch that’s fine.I just don’t think it makes 
short term sense and only makes long,really long term sense if you are talking about 15 or 20 years from 
now.It would take that long for GW to have a chance to be considered the place to go for STEM in my opinion.We are in DC for G—d sake!Use our strengths.

8/31/2020 11:19 am  #22

I haven't posted in a while but I think GW is in a tough spot.  It seems like they made the bet to go big time with STEM and the building of the Engineering Hall.  I remember one GW Prof saying that GW was making a risky bet and taking on too much debt to do this.

But it feels like GW had a choice a few years back to go STEM or not.  Boston U and NYU both did invest heavily in STEM and it worked.  Both schools have gone way up prestige-wise.  So it made sense for GW to try to go down the same path.  American U went small.  It focused on liberal arts and international affairs etc. Has that worked for them?  I am not sure.

I think GW's best bet is to stay in the A-10, don't downgrade to the Patriot League, and try to ride Covid out.  And to try to keep getting research grants to support STEM programs. I imagine Departments like Philosophy etc will be gutted in favor of the remaining programs where GW feels like it can still offer something worth $60k per year.

I really don't know if LeBlanc is the right person.  It doesn't sound good.  But I thought Knapp was a really bad President who led GW on a downward spiral that it appears to be struggling to get out of.  I am long gone from my GW days, but I imagine the value of my degree is not what it once was.

Last edited by Deleo (8/31/2020 11:20 am)

8/31/2020 11:32 am  #23

GW has an obvious, "home court" advantage where it comes to political science, history, government, law, etc.  It is situated in the nation's capital.  It can offer an abundance of internship and career opportunities.  It has impressive alumni in these areas to draw upon.  

So the real question is whether an emphasis in STEM programs detracts in any way from this other area.  Am certain that a school can boast a very strong law school and a very strong medical school.  

Building up STEM alongside a stellar political science department/law school makes sense.  Building up STEM to the detriment of GW's already strong programs does not.

8/31/2020 12:54 pm  #24

How does the school's presence in/near Leesburg affect it's STEM presence - which I'm all for.

8/31/2020 1:32 pm  #25

I've seen a couple of people talk about GW's strengths being in what I'll call "Government Stuff": Poli Sci, law, etc.

The issue is that unless you're going straight into law/professional school (which is a popular option) or the foreign service, even students in those majors need more and more STEM-related skills to work in the field of their major than they did even 10 years ago. I've interviewed a couple of GW students over time for positions that are traditionally considered stepping stones toward what I'd call upper-middle class professional careers in a social science field that requires some STEM skills, and unfortunately I've generally found those skills somewhat lacking compared to other applicants.

Increasing the STEM-presence isn't just about graduating more STEM majors, it's also about upgrading the curriculum and skills of those STEM-adjacent fields whose graduates go on to successful careers and donate money back to the school, while increasing the value of the degree in the long run. 

9/01/2020 11:40 am  #26

Before going any further I'm going to just assume cutting tuition is off the table. That is going to be the last resort. I can see the case that it should happen, but if you think this conversation is ugly the consequences of that would be...something to see. Cost cutting in labor-intensive organizations is never pleasant.

Mike, completely agree with your question on whether the education is "validated". I think the question here is how to evaluate "validation". This is the age-old question of whether the value added from a university is the knowledge accumulated vs. signaling. I.e., are Princeton graduates successful because the kids who go there learn so much, or because by getting in they showed that they had the background and existing skills in the first place to be successful, and the degree is just a signal to employers that the school is a rich pool of talent? I'd argue that question is pretty unresolved by researchers, with some evidence that college prestige is really just a signal.

With that said, depending on which one is correct, what are the implications? Well, if it's knowledge added, the university needs to accumulate resources in teaching students what employers want. If it's signaling, well, then those kids already have the skills, but you have to attract them to attend by offering interesting resources in that area, and staffing up to make the courses available so kids will be able to major in them.

In either case, you build resources in the fields employers want and find kids talented in fields demanded by the economy. For the former I would be surprised if the Career Center wasn't soliciting feedback from larger employers on their students; if they aren't then the Office of the President is not doing its due diligence in proposing these changes. For the latter, I'll wave my hands and assume the university knows how to figure that out.

So to me "validating" the GW education means students being able and interested in (re)paying tuition without going into penury from lack of jobs afterward. In either case (knowledge or signaling) I think that means allocating more resources toward building the school's profile in STEM areas.

Dealing with all this would be really easy if the university had a huge endowment. Just flatline growth in less-attractive areas, build up the new stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if the university had already started doing that. Unfortunately, GW doesn't have that amount of free cash; to the people saying, "why not both?" this is why. 

Someone above mentioned that the payoffs for this only come years down the road. I agree. Replacing the subfloor in a house is never fun, and no one comments on it when they come over. But everyone notices if the floor sags under you with every step because the owner can't afford/doesn't understand they need to replace it.

Last edited by fidel (9/01/2020 11:44 am)

9/01/2020 1:31 pm  #27

If you look at the top 40 or 50 Universities in U.S. News rankings they are all strong in STEM.  Perhaps this wasn't the case 10-20 years ago, and I even remember a time when GW was 46-47 in those rankings, and GW was not strong in STEM.

When GW hired Knapp from Johns Hopkins it was clear that GW was going to try to build up its STEM programs and compete with the big schools.  I get the logic in that, a bet was made that being in DC, if GW built state of the art facilities then top level researchers would look at GW as a place to work.  I don't know how successful that's been, but it's pretty obvious that a $300MM science hall is costing GW in other areas.  Alumni giving did not increase perhaps as much as they expected it would.

But it seems like the road has been set for GW and it would be impossible for the school to go in a different direction now.  The money is out the door and spent on the STEM path.  So while people may be screaming at LeBlanc for cutting programs in sports and academics, he may be sitting there without many options in front of him.  He just has to cut big and try to get past the Covid nightmare and hope for better days ahead.  I guess GW could bring in a new President, but I'm not sure what exactly they would feel new leadership could do differently.  There's obviously no money.  So it's just a time to ride out the storm.

Last edited by Deleo (9/01/2020 1:35 pm)

9/01/2020 2:23 pm  #28

Deleo, I'm sure that building the new science/engineering building on spec has turned out to be a regrettable decision.  Build it now and worry about how to pay for it later is a risky endeavor.

9/11/2020 11:47 am  #29

Protests occurring outside of LeBlanc's residence calling for his resignation
https://twitter.com/ZachASchonfeld/status/1304459403974922245?s=20

10/01/2020 10:13 am  #30

Was going to start a new thread about this as the Student Senate has now officially called for LeBlanc's resignation.  As best I can tell, there are four issues which have contributed to this and several are very much inter-related.  

1) LeBlanc's vision for the school has been discussed here at length.  Reducing undergraduate admissions, becoming better known as a STEM school which in turn would better prepare more students for careers in today's world.  

2) Poor morale.  The pandemic has forced major personnel and expenditure cuts.  This would have been the case no matter what, but LeBlanc's plan also causes more departments to be abolished or substantially curtailed.  Professors who are still employed are grumbling, often to their students.  Whatever the opposite of Raise High is, that's what's happening to a large extent in Foggy Bottom right now.

3) LeBlanc's racially insensitive comment.  While apologies have been made for this, many have opted not to accept the apology.  In short, LeBlanc back in February was asked if he would close the school's regulatory center if enough students wanted this since many of the main funding sources for this are fossil fuel companies.  LeBlanc wanted to make the point that all decisions can not simply be made based on what the majority of students would like.  His unfortunate analogy was to ask whether we should shoot all black students on campus if that's what the majority of students would like.

4) The intent to hire Heather Swain as the school's new VP for Communications and Marketing.  While the school extended an offer which was accepted, more research indicated that while employed by Michigan State, Swain was directly involved in helping to protect sexual predator Larry Nasser.  After enough pressure had been applied, Swain agreed to not join the GW leadership team.

So, should LeBlanc resign, or be forced to do so?

I am going to say no and here's why:

First, LeBlanc's vision for the school "is what it is", which up until recently was a phrase without any real negative connotations.  You may not agree with it; in fact, you may hate it.  Nevertheless, there are very salient reasons to do this just as there are reasons not to do this.  It is by no means a fireable offense.  Next, major change often brings about poor morale as many are reluctant to change by nature.  Nobody wants to lose their job, or see family, colleagues and friends lose their jobs.  Unfortunately, we are enduring a period in our history where this is happening everywhere.  LeBlanc is trying to responsibly manage GW's balance sheet.  This was sure to ruffle some feathers but again, nothing about this ought to result in LeBlanc losing his job.

Now, things get to be a bit more dicey.  The racially insensitive remark was just that, racially insensitive.  However, I think it's very important to measure racist intent in someone's comments.  In this instance, what LeBlanc was actually saying is that OF COURSE WE WOULD NOT SHOOT BLACK PEOPLE even if this was what the majority of students would somehow want.  He was clearly making an analogy and was not at all suggesting anything negative towards black individuals.  As I said earlier, this was a very unfortunate choice of words, and he knows this.  However, given his true intent, he should not lose his job over this.

Finally, it's difficult to determine whether GW/LeBlanc really knew beforehand what Swain's role was regarding the Nasser story, or if it did know but chose to overlook this.  Clearly, more research and due diligence should have been implemented before a job offer was extended.  To the school's credit, it took swift action in rescinding the offer once a fuller picture was provided.  (I believe the school allowed Swain to publicly have second thoughts rather than indicate that the offer had been rescinded.)  

I don't believe that any of these individual incidents or situations rise to the point where LeBlanc should lose his job.   This leads to the question of whether the cumulative effect of all of this is enough to warrant a resignation.  Again, I'll say no.  It would be one thing if we were referring to a series of acts that followed  a distinct pattern.  Then, you can say that no one incident is glaring enough but when put all together, we can conclude that LeBlanc is a racist or a liar or whatever label you'd like to place on him.  However, we simply don't have this here.  Yes, several things have happened that are far less than ideal.  But, there isn't a takeaway that LeBlanc should lose his job because of this or that, or because he's a this or that.

I hope he survives this and stays.

10/01/2020 10:15 am  #31

Was going to start a new thread about this as the Student Senate has now officially called for LeBlanc's resignation.  As best I can tell, there are four issues which have contributed to this and several are very much inter-related.  

1) LeBlanc's vision for the school has been discussed here at length.  Reducing undergraduate admissions, becoming better known as a STEM school which in turn would better prepare more students for careers in today's world.  

2) Poor morale.  The pandemic has forced major personnel and expenditure cuts.  This would have been the case no matter what, but LeBlanc's plan also causes more departments to be abolished or substantially curtailed.  Professors who are still employed are grumbling, often to their students.  Whatever the opposite of Raise High is, that's what's happening to a large extent in Foggy Bottom right now.

3) LeBlanc's racially insensitive comment.  While apologies have been made for this, many have opted not to accept the apology.  In short, LeBlanc back in February was asked if he would close the school's regulatory center if enough students wanted this since many of the main funding sources for this are fossil fuel companies.  LeBlanc wanted to make the point that all decisions can not simply be made based on what the majority of students would like.  His unfortunate analogy was to ask whether we should shoot all black students on campus if that's what the majority of students would like.

4) The intent to hire Heather Swain as the school's new VP for Communications and Marketing.  While the school extended an offer which was accepted, more research indicated that while employed by Michigan State, Swain was directly involved in helping to protect sexual predator Larry Nasser.  After enough pressure had been applied, Swain agreed to not join the GW leadership team.

So, should LeBlanc resign, or be forced to do so?

I am going to say no and here's why:

First, LeBlanc's vision for the school "is what it is", which up until recently was a phrase without any real negative connotations.  You may not agree with it; in fact, you may hate it.  Nevertheless, there are very salient reasons to do this just as there are reasons not to do this.  It is by no means a fireable offense.  Next, major change often brings about poor morale as many are reluctant to change by nature.  Nobody wants to lose their job, or see family, colleagues and friends lose their jobs.  Unfortunately, we are enduring a period in our history where this is happening everywhere.  LeBlanc is trying to responsibly manage GW's balance sheet.  This was sure to ruffle some feathers but again, nothing about this ought to result in LeBlanc losing his job.

Now, things get to be a bit more dicey.  The racially insensitive remark was just that, racially insensitive.  However, I think it's very important to measure racist intent in someone's comments.  In this instance, what LeBlanc was actually saying is that OF COURSE WE WOULD NOT SHOOT BLACK PEOPLE even if this was what the majority of students would somehow want.  He was clearly making an analogy and was not at all suggesting anything negative towards black individuals.  As I said earlier, this was a very unfortunate choice of words, and he knows this.  However, given his true intent, he should not lose his job over this.

Finally, it's difficult to determine whether GW/LeBlanc really knew beforehand what Swain's role was regarding the Nasser story, or if it did know but chose to overlook this.  Clearly, more research and due diligence should have been implemented before a job offer was extended.  To the school's credit, it took swift action in rescinding the offer once a fuller picture was provided.  (I believe the school allowed Swain to publicly have second thoughts rather than indicate that the offer had been rescinded.)  

I don't believe that any of these individual incidents or situations rise to the point where LeBlanc should lose his job.   This leads to the question of whether the cumulative effect of all of this is enough to warrant a resignation.  Again, I'll say no.  It would be one thing if we were referring to a series of acts that followed  a distinct pattern.  Then, you can say that no one incident is glaring enough but when put all together, we can conclude that LeBlanc is a racist or a liar or whatever label you'd like to place on him.  However, we simply don't have this here.  Yes, several things have happened that are far less than ideal.  But, there isn't a takeaway that LeBlanc should lose his job because of this or that, or because he's a this or that.

I hope he survives this and stays.

10/01/2020 3:48 pm  #32

LeBlanc is on thin ice, but probably weathers this for now. However:
Excusing his "shoot black people" faux pas as a "very unfortunate choice of words" is akin to excusing a pilot who flew a plane in to a mountain for his "very unfortunate choice of altitude". This incident was never going to cost LeBlanc his job, but it should earn him a reprimand and a lifetime of having to think before speaking.
The Swain hire was a blunder that should never have come close to happening. Were I interviewing her, I would have 100 percent asked about the sexual abuse case and vetted the answer before making any hiring decision. If a former ENRON or BCCI or Penn State official applied for a job, you´d want to find out how tainted or clean the person was before going to deep in to the hiring process, right? An accounting of how it happened should be made public, but knowing GW that will never happen.
Where LeBlanc goes in to open conflict is in the philosophical approach to GW´s mission and its finances. On the mission, this thread has provided a rich debate (waaaaaay better than that shitshow-- and I hope no one affiliated with GW had any major role in-- that the presidential candidate foisted on us the other night) on what academic fields GW should be focusing on; there is no right answer and LeBlanc´s position is one that many at GW are finding hard to accept. I don´t think he should be dumped for his point of view, but if he is not victorious in the policy tug-of-war he will be unable to hold on to his position.
As for the finances, SJT´s spending orgy combined with all the crap 2020 has burried us in has the school in a tight spot. LeBlanc cannot be blamed for the need to make adjustments, but how he goes about making them will be his responsibility.
Bottom line, the multi-pronged malaise does not bode well for his job security, but his run at GW is by no means over.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (10/01/2020 3:50 pm)

10/05/2020 10:23 am  #33

The Board's Chair publicly gave support for LeBlanc.  The student association president, who initially fired off an executive order asking that nobody give any part of GW any donations until Leblanc is gone, an order that he unilaterally made without consulting the student senate, has since amended this to read that no donations be made to the discretionary fund which LeBlanc oversees, not to the university as a whole.

Great post by Dr Mike to describe the over reaction. With Board of Trustees Chair Grace Speights stepping in, the hope is that the adults in the room are taking over.  I hate to undermine a student president because I normally appreciate any young person's desire to get involved and make a difference.  Nevertheless, when a man's livelihood is on the line and your response is to request that nobody donate anything to any part of GW until the change you want is made, it becomes apparent that some additional perspective is needed.

5/18/2021 11:45 am  #34

The GW Hatchet  @gwhatchet 4m 
BREAKING: University President Thomas LeBlanc will retire at the end of the 2021-22 academic year, he announces in an email to the GW community.

Suffice to say this could have big ramifications for our plucky little basketball program.  The hope was that coming from the U LeBlanc would prioritize our athletics program.  I don't think he was here long enough to even evaluate whether the athletics program is stronger now than when he got here.  He did oversee the loss of a bunch of sports, but we were not alone in that due to the pandemic.

Fingers crossed the next President understands how a vibrant athletics program does wonders for campus atmosphere and alumni donations.  If there was ever a time for anyone here with some connections to make noise about what the school should look for in a Prez, now is the time to do it.

Last edited by GW0509 (5/18/2021 11:58 am)

5/18/2021 12:17 pm  #35

Any thoughts on LeBlancs tenure? Think we fell a few in the USNews Rankings. Seems like he was just in it for a big check and bounced.

5/18/2021 1:57 pm  #36

brod wrote:

Any thoughts on LeBlancs tenure?

Well the students hated him and so did the faculty.  Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?

Last edited by GW0509 (5/18/2021 1:57 pm)

5/18/2021 2:55 pm  #37

LeBlanc probably regrets walking into the dumpster fire Knapp left (bad decisions, constant controversy, fall in rankings, lower admission standards to increase enrollment, etc, etc, etc).

JC is probably thinking the same thing about now. LeBlanc is not free of blame - he allowed the hiring of TV as AD without any formidable search).

Can't wait to see where we are in another 5 years! Knapp/Nero curse continues. Keep raising high !

5/18/2021 3:00 pm  #38

I’m sure there a lot of opinions that will differ from mine but I liked him a lot and was excited when he took the helm. I thought he came off as a really stand-up, approachable, normal guy who had a great vision for the University. I liked that he seemed to care about bringing sports back and  was trying to get GW Alums more involved with their alma mater. I also supported his plans to decrease enrollment and focus heavily on STEM and research without abandoning our major liberal arts.

I wish him and his family nothing but the best and am interested to see what direction the school takes in headhunting our next President.

5/18/2021 3:17 pm  #39

LeBlanc was a step up from Knapp, although it didn't take much. Let's hope LeBlanc's successor is a big step up and truly cares about the athletic department. We desperately need an administration that cares.

5/18/2021 3:30 pm  #40

LeBlanc lost a power struggle with the faculty which has become largely left of Lenin. They want guaranteed jobs for life at above going rate to teach courses that no one wants to take. When LeBlanc started eliminating positions he was a marked man - they then trumped up his ill advised statement to a student as evidence that he was some sort of conservative white supremacist (which he is clearly not). If you care about sports at GW, this does not bode well - it will just be another capitalist construct to be destroyed by the leftist mob. 

Board footera