GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/29/2020 5:58 pm  #1

Georgetown football player arrested on murder charge

"Dijon Williams, a senior wide receiver and Atlanta native has reportedly been arrested on a murder charge stemming from a July shooting.Author: Nick Boykin (WUSA9)Published: 5:19 PM EDT September 29, 2020Updated: 5:19 PM EDT September 29, 2020[url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Georgetown%20football%20player%20arrested%20on%20murder%20charge,%20university%20and%20DC%20police%20confirm&url=http://www.wusa9.com/article/news/local/dc/georgetown-football-player-arrested-muder-dijon-williams/65-5bfe82a8-85f0-44e5-8b1e-d4a2226f1d7f&via=WUSA9][/url]A Georgetown University student-athlete has been arrested on a second-degree murder charge stemming from a July 21 murder in Washington, according to Metropolitan Police Department (D.C. Police).Dijon Williams, a senior football player who plays wide receiver for the Hoyas, and is an Atlanta native, was reportedly arrested Monday in Georgia for the murder or 30-year-old Nurudeen Thomas.According to D.C. Police, the shooting happened around 5 a.m. in the area of 14th Street and Taylor Street in Northwest. Officers responded to the shooting after getting a call for a single gunshot fired and a man injured.Georgetown did confirm that Williams has been suspended from all team activities until further notice. The university also said in its statement that the department has been in contact with the university about the charges against Williams.“Georgetown University became aware of charges against Dijon Williams this evening," said the university in its statement to WUSA9. "While we are working to learn more information, we will cooperate fully with any investigation and we stand prepared to offer resources to members of our community who may be affected by this news. At this time, there are no indications that the alleged crime took place near the University.” Williams in being held in Georgia until he is extradited back to Washington D.C.Williams played in five games for the Hoyas in 2019. His most productive season was his freshman year in 2016, according to the Georgetown Athletics football team webpage.Before his time at Georgetown, Williams was a captain and starter as a senior on the at Miller Grove High School and was a member of the track team.All fall athletics at Georgetown have been postponed and no fall teams are on campus or practicing at this time."

The murder was reported with little detail:Document: Homicide in PetworthByD.C. Witness-July 21, 2020The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a homicide in the Petworth neighborhood in Northwest, DC.According to a press release, officers found 30 year-old Nurudeen Thomas, a resident of Greenbelt, Md., suffering from a gunshot wound on the 4100 block of 14th Street, NW. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.The department is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information that leads to an arrest and conviction of this case or any other homicide in Washington, DC. Anyone with information should call the police at 202-797-9099. Anonymous information can also be sent to the department’s Text Tip Line — 50411.

Georgetown can't seem to get a break...he, he, he. Ahem, sorry.

Chris

10/08/2020 7:47 am  #2

Re: Georgetown football player arrested on murder charge

Wow, happened blocks from me, didn't see this.  I live on 14th St (20 blocks south of this but still)

What was the motivation if any known one? Sad story, as they say nothing much good happens at 5am

10/08/2020 2:12 pm  #3

Re: Georgetown football player arrested on murder charge

A few days ago, I saw on the local news that the former Georgetown player and victim were both drug dealers(allegedly), the Georgetown player and some other guys used a drug deal(at that location in NW DC) as a cover to rob the victim. I guess something went wrong during the robbery and the victim ended up being shot to death by the Georgetown player. I believe they have surveillance video of the incident. If I find an article with this information I'll try to post it later.

I don't want to come off as sounding preachy, but I've got to say it, you'd expect a guy on a free scholarship to a school like Georgetown to make better choices than this. His athletic ability allowed him to attend Georgetown for free, a lot of people who turn to selling drugs don't have that type of opportunity and probably view drug dealing as the only way to make money/improve their circumstance in life. 

Board footera