GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2020 9:09 am  #41

Re: All Things Political

While one person's vote in Maryland will certainly not impact the outcome of the upcoming presidential election, the bigger principle behind Governor Hogan's decision to write-in Ronald Reagan as his choice for president deserves some scrutiny.  Considerable resources are spent in this country to promote "getting out the vote" or educating individuals on the importance of voting.  IMO, it is bad enough to have third party candidates on the ballot who have no legitimate chance of winning the election.  Nevertheless, anyone who qualifies to have their name on the ballots of all 50 states should be included, unlike someone like Kanye West whose name will only appear in a handful of states and whose name recognition could potentially skew results in those states.  This to me is indefensible.  Your name should appear on every ballot or none of them.  Period.

Back to Hogan, the Republican governor obviously could not align his vote with President Trump nor could he bring himself to vote for Vice President Biden.  Had he written in Ronald Reagan and not told a soul about it, we would not have known about any behavior to scrutinize.  Which by the way, would have been fine with me since I've long considered voting a private matter. 

Instead, Hogan wanted to make a statement by letting people know that it's cool to throw your vote away.  Or, was he just trying to be funny, nothing more, nothing less?  No matter the rationale, what Hogan did wasn't funny and it wasn't cool.  And publicizing his move was just plain stupid.

10/20/2020 10:56 am  #42

Gwmayhem ... while I don't necessarily agree with him, Hogan deserves way more respect than the Never Trumpers. People who fundamentally disagree with everything Biden stands for but yet will vote for him anyway because they don't like Trump (which by the way is not so much because they don't like Trump's policies but more so because Trump humiliated them within the Republican Party - if you don't believe me find a Lincoln Project ad touting one of Biden's policies) If you don't like Trump, fine don't vote for him. But how you then justify voting for a guy you agree with on basically nothing makes less sense than what Hogan did. At least Hogan had the intellectual honesty/consistency to vote for neither. Protest votes are certainly welcome and no more or less worthy of praise/criticism than any other vote. Clearly this was a protest vote and not sure why it poses a problem if you feel the way he does.

10/20/2020 1:23 pm  #43

GWRising, flushing your vote down the toilet is not what I feel a role model ought to be doing.  I get it..you can't stand one guy and can't stand the policies of the other.  If it's the lesser of two evils, I'd have had far more respect for Hogan had he picked one.  Or, if he had picked one of the two additional choices on the ballot, which at least is more credible than writing in the name of a deceased president.  And, he could have written in Reagan and never publicly told anyone, which really would have been the best solution for him.  Instead, he decided to draw attention to how he voted.  As a governor, he needs to be a leader by example.  Maybe the next time I'm faced with acting in accord with one of his policies that I don't agree with, I'll just protest it instead.  While I'm being arrested, I can always point out that I'm echoing the spirit of Governor Hogan who didn't like his choices for president so he chose to ignore them.  

10/20/2020 3:01 pm  #44

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, flushing your vote down the toilet is not what I feel a role model ought to be doing.  I get it..you can't stand one guy and can't stand the policies of the other.  If it's the lesser of two evils, I'd have had far more respect for Hogan had he picked one.  Or, if he had picked one of the two additional choices on the ballot, which at least is more credible than writing in the name of a deceased president.  And, he could have written in Reagan and never publicly told anyone, which really would have been the best solution for him.  Instead, he decided to draw attention to how he voted.  As a governor, he needs to be a leader by example.  Maybe the next time I'm faced with acting in accord with one of his policies that I don't agree with, I'll just protest it instead.  While I'm being arrested, I can always point out that I'm echoing the spirit of Governor Hogan who didn't like his choices for president so he chose to ignore them.  

I think we are way past the time when politicians of either party are being thought of as role models. Don't you, especially with all the revelations about Trump and Biden? Regardless of who you pick, I don't think either qualifies as a role model. To be honest, I am sure there are some but our government is so broken and there are not too many participants that I think highly of as in that he/she is a role model.

I also think it's just a little different choosing to protest vote (or not vote at all) than choosing to ignore a law you don't like. Choosing to protest vote or not vote at all is in fact a vote. People don't understand that. The people who don't vote are making in some cases a conscious statement that their vote doesn't matter or that they will not vote for any of the viable alternatives. You need to give some people a reason to vote FOR someone not just vote AGAINST someone else.

I once had a friend tell me he voted for Jill Stein in 2016. This guy was a principal in a company that had been cited for environmental failings and been fined. So I asked him how the hell could you vote for Jill Stein? He said he can't stand Hillary and won't vote for Trump. I said what if Stein wins? He said she won't but that "I'd shoot myself in the head if she did." He was joking of course but therein lies the logic sometimes.  

10/20/2020 4:15 pm  #45

Apparently, Hogan is being looked upon as a national joke for doing this according to a Washington Post article that came out today.  The Baltimore Sun also wrote a scathing editorial at Hogan's expense.

I'm not the best person to ask about Biden (to support your argument) due to a personal connection I have to someone who knows him extremely well.  When the cameras are not rolling, I have heard nothing but the fact that he is a very honorable, caring, decent man.  He values family above all else, which had a lot to do with why he didn't run in 2016.  He is neither evil nor malicious despite anything you may have heard on Fox News or OAN.  About the worst I can say about him is that he has demonstrated an inability during his public like to always know when to stop talking, thereby making an erroneous or regrettable remark on occasion.  That said, erroneous or regrettable on occasion comes nowhere close to dishonest, deceptive, angry, and unempathetic every single day of the year.

10/20/2020 6:26 pm  #46

Gwmayhem  ... I'm sorry you missed all the news about the apparent Biden family crime spree that has jeopardized our national security and which after nearly a week has not yet been denied or explained by either Biden involved. However, I do understand how you could have missed it ... the Washington Post is apparently more interested in important things like Hogan's vote for Reagan. I suggest you familiarize yourself more with the "Big Guy". 

10/20/2020 7:57 pm  #47

GWmayhem - I guess you did not realize that Rudy's interactions with a known Russian agent was in the best interests of the US.   Just like the US Secret Service paying the Trump family full rates for golf carts and hotel rooms while protecting the Con-man-in-Chief is in the best interests of the US's financial well-being.  It's not like there's something wrong with two Trump kids getting top salaries in the WH, of the rest of his family, family girlfriends and family bodyguard all getting $15K per month from his campaign committee.  GWmayhem I just don't understand how you could be so mislead .

Comparing Trump's corruptness to Biden's  is like comparing Vlad the Impaler's saintliness to Mother Teresa's.  

Last edited by BC (10/20/2020 7:57 pm)

10/20/2020 8:16 pm  #48

10/20/2020 8:20 pm  #49

10/20/2020 8:21 pm  #50

can someone explain how you add multiple links along with extra test without getting the underlining for the original link?

10/21/2020 9:26 am  #51

GWRising, the Biden family crime spree?  You mean the one that the New York Post published, the same one that the reporter opted not to include his or her own name on?  The same one that social media decided to limit on its news feeds?  Am not sure where you are from but speaking as a New Yorker, allow me to point out what's been obvious to most of us for over a century:  feel free to get your sports news from the NY Post, but not your actual news.

I recognize that this isn't your Post of choice but you might want to read David Ignatius's outstanding column that appeared in the Washington Post several days ago.  To summarize, Hunter Biden absolutely made an error in judgment and his father failed to fully understand the political ramifications of his son's decision.  That said, absolutely no crimes were committed (and if you have proof of a crime, do speak up).  Or Ignatius, a universally respected journalist who isn't afraid to sign his name to his work points out, just because there's smoke does not automatically mean there's a fire.

10/21/2020 11:06 am  #52

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, the Biden family crime spree?  You mean the one that the New York Post published, the same one that the reporter opted not to include his or her own name on?  The same one that social media decided to limit on its news feeds?  Am not sure where you are from but speaking as a New Yorker, allow me to point out what's been obvious to most of us for over a century:  feel free to get your sports news from the NY Post, but not your actual news.

I recognize that this isn't your Post of choice but you might want to read David Ignatius's outstanding column that appeared in the Washington Post several days ago.  To summarize, Hunter Biden absolutely made an error in judgment and his father failed to fully understand the political ramifications of his son's decision.  That said, absolutely no crimes were committed (and if you have proof of a crime, do speak up).  Or Ignatius, a universally respected journalist who isn't afraid to sign his name to his work points out, just because there's smoke does not automatically mean there's a fire.

I agree that it's a sad day when the NY Post has more investigative initiative than the Washington Post. DNI and FBI both say no Russian disinformation. FBI is in possession of laptop. Rudy has turned over pictures of underage girls and much more on the laptop to the Delaware State Police including photos of Joe with people he claimed he didn't know anything about (Ukranians). Sounds like nothing except when you consider Rudy Giuliani was one of the best prosecutors in the U.S. in his day. Good luck hoping the smoke isn't the result of fire. I suggest you watch a lot of Netflix in the coming days. It's going to get way worse for your boy before it gets better. Also watch how the odds have moved significantly in Trump's favor since release of the story. Biden still a favorite but it has narrowed considerably. I suspect the Biden campaign is terrified and well, they should be.

10/21/2020 11:51 am  #53

OK, you'll let me know when things get worse for Biden.

Am glad you used the words "in his day" to describe Giuliani's legal prowess.  Sounds like even you know how far off the deep end this guy has gone.  It's sad really to see someone so enamored with the spotlight try to hang on despite his mental faculties being called into question.  I may not have felt this way about anyone since Willie Mays tried to play centerfield for the Mets.

Am not sure that I'd rather be Trump than Biden right now, but I will say that 2016 has taught me the lesson of not trusting polls when Trump is involved.  I think that segment of the population who will vote for Trump but will deny this beforehand in a poll is considerable.  I have heard countless reports about how Biden's poll margins are greater than Hillary's and frankly, I haven't bought into this in 2020.  He stole one election and he's certainly capable of stealing another.  Every US intelligence department has acknowledged Russian interference in the 2016 election and Trump has done nothing over four years to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

10/21/2020 1:23 pm  #54

I don't know whether you are serious or just repeating what you've been told.

Can anyone produce a person that voted based on Russian disinformation? Why weren't you swayed by such disinformation?  Also, do you think it's just the Russians or maybe the Chinese too. Seems like they have opposite bets. When you find out who was involved in the release of the "grab 'em" tape and Trump's tax returns to the NYT - both crimes by the way - you might find out the reason they will never be prosecuted is because foreign actors were involved. It's funny that you are outraged by Russian interference but could care less if the Chinese interfere as long as it is for your guy.

That said, the fact that you use the word "stole" in connection with the 2016 election is amazing. There is no proof of that whatsoever. Perhaps if Hillary wasn't the worst candidate (and laziest candidate until Biden) to run for President we'd be having a different conversation. To use two sports analogies ... Hillary was the team that thought she had it won at halftime and failed to show up for the second half and Biden is the team up by a field goal to a touchdown playing prevent defense. To me, both are losing strategies but we will see.

I see this election not as a make or break for the Republicans but really for the Democrats. If you can't beat Trump (what would be two times) in the face of a pandemic and all the controversies, one wonders what the future holds for the Democratic Party. The Left will blame the moderates and a schism will happen. Republicans will recover from a Trump loss with a better candidate in 2024. We are still a center-right country despite what the Washington Post would like you to believe. All your new Republican friends (Never Trumpers) will desert Joe 2 days after the inauguration the first time one of these far left batshit crazy ideas is proposed. Any you just know Bernie, Elizabeth and the Squad are readying their list of demands.

Last edited by GWRising (10/21/2020 1:24 pm)

10/21/2020 1:44 pm  #55

I guess the election couldn't be make or break for the Republicans since the party is already badly broken.  I don't need to see or hear about this from the media since I have enough Republican friends who feel this way.  What I think you misinterpret in all of this is that I do not begrudge the Republican party for having a belief and value system that's different than my own.  I did not hold enraged opinions about Reagan or either Bush (though I was quick to point out that W, while undoubtedly a very nice guy, wasn't a bright enough bulb to serve as our President).  A Republican does not at all make for a bad person.  Yet, I do feel differently about a Trump supporter.  To me that person condones racism, bigotry, hatred, incompetence, and dishonesty.  You yourself have written more than once that you don't have to like the guy in order to like his policies.  Well, we're past that.  Not liking the guy, not liking how he has purposefully divided this country, not liking how classless and rude he is on a daily basis, not liking how he would be arrested by now if he was anyone other than the President...all of this ought to be enough to vote him out of office.  At some point, your endorsement of him becomes a reflection of you.  Just my opinion.

By the way, speaking of Rudy as we were earlier, enjoy the new Borat movie. 

Last edited by Gwmayhem (10/21/2020 1:46 pm)

10/21/2020 3:51 pm  #56

What's fascinating to me is how you can readily see those traits in Trump but not in Biden. I guess because Trump is louder somehow that amplifies it but if you listen more closely, Joe Biden is many of the things you claim to abhor. So when you have deeply flawed candidates and it is a binary choice, people will rightfully side with the candidate who reflects policies closest to what they believe. What I love most is the Left's holier than thou attitude which constantly allows them to be hoisted on their own petard. Just remember you are voting for a guy who has eulogized Klan leaders, spoken about racial jungles in light of busing, and passed the most oppressive crime bill in history. A guy who will be shown to have profited from foreign entities in his role in government, a guy who Obama officials have called incompetent or wrong, a guy who has been caught plagiarizing and cheating. If as you claim, supporting a candidate is a reflection on a person, I'm not sure you are as well positioned on that subject as you'd like to believe..

10/22/2020 9:03 am  #57

GWRising, yesterday you wrote that DNI and FBI both say no Russian disinformation. This is why it's very difficult not to take anything you are saying with a grain of salt.  About 8 hours after you wrote "DNI and FBI both say no Russian disinformation", a press conference is held where the FBI announces that Russia is interfering again (along with Iran).  Last I checked, the FBI is a bi-partisan Federal agency and not the liberal think tank you're likely about to make them out to be.  As for John Ratcliffe, I'm not sure what he's on.  He produces an email, originating from Iran and "From" the Proud Boys, with a subject line that says Vote Trump, and then goes on to claim that among Iran's objectives is to damage Trump?  With a subject line that says Vote Trump?  We should all be so damaged.

Reminds me of the old shell game.  Now you see it, now you don't.  If you play long enough, you'll suffer from eye strain, I guess.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (10/22/2020 10:52 am)

10/22/2020 9:30 am  #58

GWmayhem. (sorry I have to capitalize the GW) did he actually produce that memo or cite any example of the "interference"?   I thought he didn't cite any specific example - that way he could get away with saying Iranians were interfering rather than Russians, since the supposed proud boys email certainly looked like more like a pro Trump Molotov cocktail than an anti-Trump email.  Important facts were left out be the politicized DNI such as what was the interference he was citing.  If it was the alleged proud boys emails, were the emails sent to dems or reps, were only certain states hit (as in whose databases were compromised) and why would he contend that the emails were anti-trump.   And why did the DNI suddenly call a emergency briefing except as an overtly political pro Trump propaganda hit piece?   Just more Trump using the government as political hit men. 

This what I get for going to this site first thing in the morning.  None of the clips I saw last night had Radcliffe specifically quoting the "proud boys" emails.  This morning's news says essentially that he did.  Most of my other points stand - I believe.
Wray will be fired soon as head of the FBI, since he seems to be pretty straight - you noticed he didn't say anything other than the FBI will protect the integrity of the elections.  Where is Barr's hit piece?  Hasn't come yet, which is why Trump's pissed at him.   Hoover was awful, Barr will go down in history as worse.

Last edited by BC (10/22/2020 9:45 am)

10/22/2020 11:24 am  #59

Ahh Russian myopia is in full effect. Gwmayhem, I never said there wasn't Russian disinformation, I said the FBI and DNI confirmed that the Hunter Biden revelations weren't Russian disinformation. They obviously have Hunter Biden's laptop and I would imagine computer forensics. Plus, they now have the statements, text messages and emails of at least two long-time business associates of Hunter Biden (predating Trump). You'd have to believe in some next level conspiracy shit if you think the Russians planned this before Donald Trump was President just in case Joe Biden ran in 2020.  As I told you ,it will get worse for your boy and it is getting worse whether you choose to ignore it or not. Even if Biden wins, there is now a possibility he will face criminal investigation and possible impeachment. Maybe this was not the Russians but Kamala lol. Her husband thinks she is going to be President (maybe that was a slip).

Of course there is all sorts of disinformation out there. Do you think that 2016 was the first time Russia or anyone else tried to interfere in our elections? Why you choose to focus on one country and not the others shows your myopia. All foreign actors should be out of our politics not just the ones that favor Trump.

BC, you should write comedy because you obviously prefer comedy to facts. Wray is playing it straight? How does the FBI lose all sorts of records supporting the FISA warrants and their investigation of Flynn? How does Wray have no explanation for same. If this was Nixon's FBI you would be apoplectic. Barr worse than Hoover? Just wow is all that needs to be said.

Finally, Gwmayhem, as for the Proud Boys email, you probably believe that people would purposely sign their names to mass threatening emails that would bring criminal charges. Surprised that they didn't put a phone number and email address on there as well. The thing was so amateur and such a set-up that only the Iranians could have done it. LOL. It was easy to figure out.

10/22/2020 11:40 am  #60

But you still haven't really explained how the Iranian email could possibly be construed as being damaging to Trump?

Just curious, if I were to refer to Trump as "your boy", you feeling pretty good about that?  Are you a proud Trump supporter?

Board footera