GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2020 10:34 pm  #1

Obi Toppin To The Knicks

Drafted with the 8th overall pick in The NBA Draft.
Highest A10 pick since Lamar Odom over 20 years ago???

11/23/2020 3:52 pm  #2

Re: Obi Toppin To The Knicks

Yeah, Toppin may be the highest A10 pick since Lamar Odom, he's going to have big expectations when he suits up for the Knicks in about a month because the Knicks have been terrible for years, and high draft picks who go to New York always face a lot of scrutiny. I believe the announcers compared him to former NBA great Amare Stoudamire, he does have similar height and athleticism to Stoudamire. 

11/25/2020 8:18 pm  #3

How will the Knicks ruin Toppin's career? The opportunities will be endless.

How did Toppin get Wooden POY but end up getting picked 8th?

Last edited by Alum '04 (11/25/2020 8:20 pm)

11/25/2020 8:53 pm  #4

Alum '04 wrote:

Clearly college and pro are two very different beasts.  Saw that Luke Garza is projected to go #51 overall in next year's mock draft projection (ESPN).  Don't think he's the 51st best college player right now.

11/27/2020 11:09 am  #5

BGF wrote:

Alum '04 wrote:

Clearly college and pro are two very different beasts.  Saw that Luke Garza is projected to go #51 overall in next year's mock draft projection (ESPN).  Don't think he's the 51st best college player right now.

I believe Obi Toppin was projected to go #4 to Chicago, but they took Florida State freshman big man Patrick William who put up modest numbers and came off the bench( "upside" always boosts certain players in the draft) and that caused Toppin to drop, despite how dominant he was last season at Dayton.

Alum '04,  great point!! For the last 15-20 years, rookies and free agents usually have their careers ruined when they join the Knicks. Hopefully, Toppin can break the 'James Dolan/1985 Patrick Ewing Frozen Envelope' curse!!!

11/27/2020 11:43 am  #6

One other thing is that despite only playing two years in college, he's the age of a college senior because of a prep year after HS and a redshirt year at Dayton. That probably hurt his draft stock a bit.

11/27/2020 7:28 pm  #7

What do people see as his NBA Ceiling? 
I've seen the Amare comparisons quite a bit, seems lofty but Amare, when he was this age, wasn't the more rounded player he would go on to be quite yet, so that seems like a good ceiling.

I think for Obi, the floor is pretty high, so he's a pretty safe pick.  Word is the Knicks had him #2 on their draft board and were very fortunate he slipped to them at #8.  Sometimes, the few teams ahead of you just have that spot on the floor of go with some other need.

The kid who really slipped IMO was the Iowa St Guard Tyrese Haliburton, forgot who landed him but seems like a real steal.  I get that teams tend to favor 18 year olds and why, but I'd wager both Haliburton and Obi have good, long NBA careers.   

Either way, highest A10 pick in a very long time.

Last edited by The Dude (11/27/2020 7:33 pm)

Board footera