GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2020 4:07 pm  #181

Re: GW vs UMBC Game Thread

While it was kinda cool to see Shawnta's son, in action,  also have to say entirely unimpressed and perplexed he's getting minutes like that.

Whereas his incredible pops looked short but never played short, an amazing feat, 5'2 Darnell looks like he struggles to make every pass over guys 1 foot taller, lollipop passing out of necessity, and his defense is just so limited by being that small, at times he's a bit of a pest, but you can always get a shot over him and he just can't defend passing lines with a frame that small.  

Someone said years ago, Shawnta was like LeBron's package of physical talent in physical traits (and a much much better shooter) just in a much shorter package, I think that was well said. 

As a 23 year old 5th year senior, who has bounced around college hoops, hard to imagine Darnell would have made much of an impact at GW, whether he was eligible 4 years ago or otherwise.

12/08/2020 4:48 pm  #182

And yet, on an off night, Darnell played 25 minutes, with better stats, than JNJ, for a team that led us by 26 points at one point--and beat us by 9.
  Seems like Ryan Odom may know a little bit about what he is doing, since he beat us--in fact beat us badly for about 30 minutes.

12/09/2020 12:20 pm  #183

The Dude wrote:

While it was kinda cool to see Shawnta's son, in action,  also have to say entirely unimpressed and perplexed he's getting minutes like that.

Whereas his incredible pops looked short but never played short, an amazing feat, 5'2 Darnell looks like he struggles to make every pass over guys 1 foot taller, lollipop passing out of necessity, and his defense is just so limited by being that small, at times he's a bit of a pest, but you can always get a shot over him and he just can't defend passing lines with a frame that small.  

Someone said years ago, Shawnta was like LeBron's package of physical talent in physical traits (and a much much better shooter) just in a much shorter package, I think that was well said. 

As a 23 year old 5th year senior, who has bounced around college hoops, hard to imagine Darnell would have made much of an impact at GW, whether he was eligible 4 years ago or otherwise.

If the point of this post is to point out that Darnell is not the player that his father was, I don't think you'll find many in disagreement.  If the point of this post is to speculate that Darnell would not have contributed very much to GW,  then I on behalf of many basketball observers will respectively yet whole-heartedly disagree. 

12/09/2020 1:51 pm  #184

Just ignore his statements. His track record is pathetic. This is the same guy who said Jorgensen wasn't A-10 talent.
I give Darnell a lot of credit. He's overcome the many obstacles placed in front of him over the years. Looks like he had a good game against Deleware last night - 8 rebounds for a guy his height?

12/09/2020 11:58 pm  #185

On Darnell’s defense, I think James Bishop was an especially tough matchup for him.  I think Armel Potter would be had a much tougher time with Darnell because he’s not as big or strong as James and couldn’t just rise up over someone as easily. Darnell won’t face many better offensive PGs than James this year.

Board footera