GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/11/2020 10:04 pm  #101

Re: GW vs Delaware Game Thread

Bishop had a great 1st half, 12 points and 4 dimes on just 6 shot attempts, then got cold in the 2nd half, happens to every player, even far better players

Maceo's firestorm kept us in the game in the 2nd half and we fell just short.

The obvious reality is the team doesn't have that much talent, which is again why we were picked near the bottom of the A10 by the Media, the Coaches, and KenPom's worst A10 team, despite what  a whiny fan proclaimed before the year, so feel free to whine all year about Coaching, but the reality is we're at the beginning of a rebuild from the dweller, and there will be a lot more losing before we have enough talent to win consistently.  That's what bottom dweller rebuilds look like.

12/11/2020 11:09 pm  #102

My two cents.  This is all about trust.  The players must learn to trust each other on both ends of the floor.  As the trust in each other grows, so will the quality of play on both ends.  And we will see more wins.

12/11/2020 11:39 pm  #103

Actually, JC pretty much turned over his inherited roster,except for one of his best players, Jamison,Chase,whom he liked a lot and Maceo, who is a great fit for his 3 point system.
Maybe missed someone, but not consequential,as it doesn't come to mind.. Otherwise, they seem to be all JC's players.

12/12/2020 10:20 am  #104

In his last 2 games, Maceo Jack has shot 10-12 from the field, including 4-6 from the 3, yet does not start and is only is on the Court for 17 minutes vs. Delaware.   And only 1 of the teams combined 33 turnovers were by Jack.  Did I also mention that he is one of the few seniors on the team?   I would say that perhaps the coach has written off this season and wants to give the playing time to his players of the future, however Moyer (who I happen to think is a nice player) has played 62 minutes in that 2 game stretch, so that isn't it.   I also believe that Jack's defense, while hardly good, has improved over the years and is certainly no worse than the players that are on the court.  Maybe he just doesn't fit into the system.

12/12/2020 11:48 am  #105

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

In his last 2 games, Maceo Jack has shot 10-12 from the field, including 4-6 from the 3, yet does not start and is only is on the Court for 17 minutes vs. Delaware.   And only 1 of the teams combined 33 turnovers were by Jack.  Did I also mention that he is one of the few seniors on the team?   I would say that perhaps the coach has written off this season and wants to give the playing time to his players of the future, however Moyer (who I happen to think is a nice player) has played 62 minutes in that 2 game stretch, so that isn't it.   I also believe that Jack's defense, while hardly good, has improved over the years and is certainly no worse than the players that are on the court.  Maybe he just doesn't fit into the system.

Perhaps JC recognizes that Maceo plays better in shorter stints. As you know he is a big analytics guy. It does not automatically follow that more minutes equals more production. Some guys are just like that.

Last edited by GWRising (12/12/2020 11:49 am)

12/12/2020 11:56 am  #106

keithgreene wrote:

My two cents.  This is all about trust.  The players must learn to trust each other on both ends of the floor.  As the trust in each other grows, so will the quality of play on both ends.  And we will see more wins.

Correct Keith. These guys did not have an offseason to play pick-up and learn about each other's strengths and weaknesses as players  Controlled practices are not always best for that. As a result, they are learning together on the fly. I suspect we get better soon. There were signs of it yesterday but there is a lot going on that needs to be fixed. Our half court defense was better. The big thing that is killing us is the turnovers. If we even eliminated 4 or 5 each game, we probably are 4-1 or 5-0 right now. The reason being is that's less scoring opportunities for us and we are giving up huge points off of turnovers. That's got to get fixed before almost anything else. 

12/12/2020 2:22 pm  #107

Delaware?  Did we hire the right guy?

12/12/2020 2:57 pm  #108

A few words about Bishop...after a strong first half, he missed his last 8 shots from the field including a costly turnover.  I understand that a point guard with a scorers mentality is going to keep on trying to score and arguably should not be discouraged by the coaching staff.  But, it is up to James himself to understand how to get his teammates more involved when his shots are not falling.  Right now, he strikes me as a more talented version of Jair Bolden.  It's great that he has a shot and knows how to take it to the hole.  But when defenses key on him, or he's just cold, he has to get others involved.  This comes down to decision making.  

Incidentally, one of the benefits of having more depth this season compared to last is that we don't have to "over-play" starters.  This ought to be largely determined by who brought their game one night and who didn't.  Case in point, Battle and Bishop combined for 9-29 shooting with 10 turnovers over 62 minutes of play.  Jack, Brelsford, and Seymour combined for 6-10 shooting (5-7 from 3) and zero turnovers over 40 minutes of play.   

It's one thing when your bench can't perform anywhere close to your starters but it's another thing when the bench is playing as if it is more than capable.

The player rotations make me wonder whether JC is making decisions based on what he may have told certain players during the recruiting stage rather than what's necessarily best for the team right now.  It would make sense that he would tell Bishop he is just what this team needs and that he will play a great deal.  Same for Moyer.  He never recruited Maceo.  The freshmen could each have been told that they'd have the chance to compete for minutes but not to be disappointed if they didn't receive many (unlike last year when freshmen played out of necessity).

So above all else, what I'd like to start seeing are players playing based on merit alone.  That can and should vary from game to game.  JC and staff need to start thinking about what it will take, each game, to give GW the best chance to win.  If Bishop and Battle go cold, should they automatically be on the court at crunch time, because they are capable?  Or, should others who are performing well in a given game be afforded this opportunity?  The former does not seem to be working.  Maybe it's time to try the latter. 

12/12/2020 4:26 pm  #109

This strikes as the crux of the case. Maceo was not JC's recruit,nor one he could claim to shape as an incoming freshman like Jamison and Chase.
  Toro,Mazz, etc.inexplicably sidelined and run off.
Perhaps an insider could detail JC's plans for Armel,preseason and early season,before clinging to him like a life raft every minute he could play.
Maceo earned more playing time,but hasn't gotten all of it yet. A pattern may be emerging.
Last year,when there was no pandemic, started in similar fashion.
Not just favoring his guys,but not recognizing early enough how and when to use the talents that he has on the team.

12/12/2020 7:03 pm  #110

Doesn’t anyone else find it peculiar that after saying we would be playing only the zone, a very short time later zone appears to be completely abandoned and we play almost exlsively a man to man?

12/12/2020 11:40 pm  #111

Doesn’t anyone else find it peculiar that after saying we would be playing only the zone, a very short time later zone appears to be completely abandoned and we play almost exlsively a man to man?

I don’t think anyone who watched our zone would find it peculiar that we stopped playing it.

12/13/2020 8:45 am  #112

Free Quebec wrote:

I don’t think anyone who watched our zone would find it peculiar that we stopped playing it.

Yes, and everyone would be on JC for not making adjustments if we continued to play the same zone in the same way. The fact that JC recognizes that sometimes the best laid plans aren't working and is willing to change is a positive sign not a negative one.

12/13/2020 10:24 am  #113

The most peculiar part about all of this is saying we'd be playing exclusively zone in the first place.  It's one think if you're Boeheim and have more or less exceled at playing a zone.  

Am grateful that JC changed his stance but ideally, this team will still work on the zone in practice and be prepared to play man and zone, often within the same game.

12/13/2020 7:05 pm  #114

That would be a revolutionary thought of adjusting defenses.
Not sure recognizing the zone wasn't working after losing 3 games to lesser teams is a positive thing,other than finally waking up to the very obvious.

12/13/2020 9:07 pm  #115

I wasn’t trying to be critical of the change...it was absolutely the right thing  to do.  I just found it peculiar that a coach would make such a pronouncement and then step back by the 4th game.  Frankly, anyone who watched the first game of the season...maybe even the scrimmage, had to be concerned that we. needed to switch up defenses.  Still, even with a change in the defensive scheme, so many on the team are so deficient in defending that I am not sure how much can be done other than keeping your better defenders, who ever they may be, on the court longer, even if it is at esther expense of the offensep

Board footera