GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2020 9:27 pm  #1

FIRE JAMION

Any coach who calls a three from beyond the the NBA 3 to win the game out of a time out needs to get fired. There are no excuses for this. There is no hope for this program.

12/14/2020 9:33 pm  #2

Re: FIRE JAMION

This is a nightmare! Team has lost 11 out of its last 12 and has not played one team so far this season that a well-coached GW team would not have beaten. Coach makes no adjustments on offense or defense during a game-- a recipe for failure. 

12/14/2020 9:42 pm  #3

Agreed!
Where the hell did this guy learn how to coach?
This was the first game I've seen GW play this year and may be the last. This is their 6th game against mediocre competition; not their first or second game together.
--Terrible shot selection without a time-out to stop it & make corrections.
--This was crap-ass defense for the most part. And, how many times can you let a left-handed Covington repeatedly beat you from the left without forcing him to the right? How many times can you let Loewe beat you with his right hand with lay ups????
--Send Paar to the weight room please!

Disgraceful!!! GW needs a good AD. They made a hasty decision to get quickly beyond the embarrassing Lonergan/ Nero saga. Where's Jackie Kvancz and his top admin supporters when you need them? 

Last edited by RobSmithoasas (12/14/2020 9:43 pm)

12/14/2020 9:55 pm  #4

We’re not firing him for the simple fact we have no money. Unless we get some of Auburn’s fans to light some more money on fire, the school is in no position to pay any sort of buyout. Coupled with the fact that the optics of firing professors but coming up with the cash to pay someone not to coach would be a PR nightmare. Only hope is that a coconut hits JC on the head (like a 60s sitcom) and he reverts to his MSM style.

12/14/2020 10:42 pm  #5

Gilligan's Island had more hope of rescue than we do at this moment.

12/14/2020 10:49 pm  #6

No No No No No!  This loss is squarely on the back of the kids on the court, who are either remarkably slow afoot on defense or downright lazy.  That's not coaching.  That's effort, or lack thereof! 

And watch the last play of the game.  Jameer was WIDE OPEN under the basket and Bishop either didn't see him (not sure how) or wanted to take a shot himself.  I think the call was to get the ball to Jameer for the slam or layup, which he had.

12/14/2020 11:13 pm  #7

Bishop shooting an airball 27-footer from the top of the Capitol with ~3.7 secs left (when shot released)... I think says more about Bishop than Christian. Nelson driving to the hoop and Battle getting away from the defenders, but naw take the 27-footer instead...
I mean I'm all for firing Christian too, but...

12/15/2020 8:03 am  #8

GW0509 wrote:

We’re not firing him for the simple fact we have no money. Unless we get some of Auburn’s fans to light some more money on fire, the school is in no position to pay any sort of buyout. Coupled with the fact that the optics of firing professors but coming up with the cash to pay someone not to coach would be a PR nightmare. Only hope is that a coconut hits JC on the head (like a 60s sitcom) and he reverts to his MSM style.

Yup. He gets 5 years. We're in Year 2. No guarantee it ends with a better hire or even staying in the A-10. Certainly not coming out of the pandemic with the enthusiasm the program needs to be revenue-stable, especially as spectator sports of all kinds get crunched by fans staying away. You have to wonder (more than we already do) why someone would give up a night in the nation's capital to go watch us blow a 20-point lead to William & Mary.
Our last NCAA appearance was 2014, seven years ago this March. Our last NCAA win was 2005, 16 years ago. GW Basketball will go a decade between NCAA appearances and a quarter century between NCAA wins. You get the feeling that the admin is, if not OK with that, preternaturally unable to figure it out or else swamped by other crises.

12/15/2020 8:59 am  #9

I fear we're getting in "curse" territory with our head coaches (and an unwillingness to spend certainly hasn't helped in the hiring process). Christian must have done some coaching at his former schools as he was successful there. This is inexplicable! Sad thing is that there is talent on this team that is being wasted for lack of discipline, strategy, fundamentals.

12/15/2020 10:28 am  #10

What GW0509 and Mentzinger said.

And even if a buyout/money was no object, this would just be the wrong thing to do, even at the end of this season if we don't win another game (which we will).  

What is admittedly troubling is the dichotomy between JC's feelings about this team ("we are very close", '"I like what I'm seeing", "I'd tell you if this wasn't the case") and the on-court product.  I understand that he is an incredibly positive thinker and I do admire his demeanor.  At the same time, the reality that's been unfolding before our eyes suggest otherwise.

In addition, I do feel like there is a certain sameness regarding the criticisms after most games.  Why in a year where we've been told we have more depth do all 5 starters play at least 32 minutes, a sixth plays 27 minutes, a 7th plays 12 minutes, and everyone else hardly plays at all (or doesn't play)?  Where are the in-game adjustments?  Why are we doing nothing to free up our three point shooters?  

The thing about the players on this team is that most if not all are capable of performing very well at certain aspects of the game, but we don't seem to have any who are complete basketball players.  That said, we know there's talent out there but it's not just being brought together cohesively, aside from the game's first 19 minutes last night.

JC is not going anywhere and any Fire Jamion Christian chant being made last night or today is a premature one.  He does need time to figure this out, but even the most cynical GW fan in the world would not have predicted 1-5 against this schedule.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (12/15/2020 10:30 am)

12/15/2020 10:44 am  #11

The biggest problem is that the guys he is bringing in are not clearly more talented than the lower major players that are beating us. Gapare seems like a talented player, but based upon the little to no outreach from GW sports communications it is unclear if he is even coming to GW. What I wouldn't give to have Kwame's son follow in his footsteps, but that seems like a pipe dream at this point. Guess based on the current roster and lack of open scholarships in the near future I am not seeing much immediate hope which is depressing as a longtime fan.

Last edited by Yinka dont Stinka (12/15/2020 11:11 am)

12/15/2020 11:14 am  #12

keithgreene wrote:

No No No No No!  This loss is squarely on the back of the kids on the court, who are either remarkably slow afoot on defense or downright lazy.  That's not coaching.  That's effort, or lack thereof! 

And watch the last play of the game.  Jameer was WIDE OPEN under the basket and Bishop either didn't see him (not sure how) or wanted to take a shot himself.  I think the call was to get the ball to Jameer for the slam or layup, which he had.

Of course Keith. Anybody who thinks JC drew that last play up for a step back 30-footer by Bishop just isn't very bright.

At some point players have to play to their capabilities and make plays. This isn't about X's and O's its about leadership and grit. Right now, this team doesn't have much of any of that. That's why we play just well enough to lose every game we should win. We don't get the key stop, we don't get the big rebound, we don't get the 50/50 ball. We can't score in stretches or we are careless with the ball leading to a run of turnovers. We have players making "look at me plays" rather than winning plays. While you can make the case that JC recruited these guys (mostly other than Paar, Battle and Jack), it is very hard for a coach to just "adjust" those things. It takes some leadership from within the team and a willingness to keep working. I am quite certain JC knows what the hell he is doing. I am also quite certain that this group isn't buying in right now. The question is why?. And how does JC fix that. Still very confident he will get it fixed because he is a worker and very willing to self-analyze. I am sure he is not satisfied not sleeping well these days.

As far as firing JC, that's kind of the pavlovian fan response we've seen on message boards at GW time and time again. I think every coach has seen it at GW. Fire Jarvis! Fire Penders! Fire Hobbs! Fire Lonergan!  It's funny that we expect our players to play with poise under adversity but many in the fan base lack this same poise. However, what I have realized over more than 35 years is some of the same people yelling "fire" are the first ones to try to kiss the coach's ass when we later have success. Thank God we didn't fire Hobbs after losses to American and Fairfield. Thank God we didn't fire Lonergan after losses to Mount St. Mary's or a 10-23 record in Year 2. Both would have been huge mistakes. Maybe this is why GW is unable to sustain a fan base.  

To me, this is pure entertainment. No one is forced to watch or support. If it is too much for you, plenty of other things to do. But when you are yelling to fire the coach 37 games into his tenure, I would suggest you are wound just a little too tight. 

12/15/2020 11:24 am  #13

Believe me, I as much as anyone understand the reactions after any loss, especially a real bad/embarrassing one such as we experienced against both William and Mary.  And I have many early concerns about Christian, both in his on court coaching (especially his failure to make in game adjustments) and possibility his ability (inability) to recognize talent.    Last night was a cornucopia of bad coaching decisions, and  I worry that he does not seem to have a coherent last 2 minutes of the game strategy or know what to do to stop another team when they are hot or on a run, especially coming out of half time.   Now in his defense (mitigation?), I will point out that this team is so woefully deficient on defense (there is the inability to recognize talent).  At times, I don't think that there is anybody playing D-1 basketball that players like Paar, Jack, Battle, Bishop, etc. are capable of guarding.  (I mistakenly thought Maceo had improved his defense during last season.   And as I have been saying for some time now, and thank you Keith for also recognizing this), we are painfully slow and allow the other team to constantly beat us to the rim, the rebound or the loose ball.    There is reason to be hopeful for the program that we need to give Christian a chance to develop.  As someone pointed out on the other thread, the first half vs. both WIlliam and Mary was probably th epast half we played all season.  (Unfortunately, it was followed by what may have been the worst hald of basketball ever played by any team, at any level).   Let us also not lose sight of the fact that the core of this team, including Bishop, are very young, and need the opportunity to develop on both sides of the ball.  (We will see how good the coach is in developing talent).   Further, quality help appears to be on the way.   6'9" Hunter Dean will be eligible next game from what I hear (I really hope he can defend the lane), and Lindo may be eligible real soon also.   We also seem to have a decent recruiting class for next season.   Coach needs the opportunity to be allowed to develop these players.  In other words, he should have a pass for this season and all of next season, but if the product doesn't substantially improve by then, we can resume the fire the coach chorus.  But for now, I would install a "you don't play unless you defend" philosophy.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/15/2020 11:26 am)

12/15/2020 11:35 am  #14

Per GW Rising  "Anyone who thinks JC drew up that last play for a step back 30 footer by Bishop just isn't very bright"   Although I agree with that statement, I am not so sure that the designed play wasn't simply to give the ball to Bishop and have him make something happen, ala Mo Creek vs. Maryland.   

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/15/2020 11:36 am)

12/15/2020 11:47 am  #15

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Per GW Rising  "Anyone who thinks JC drew up that last play for a step back 30 footer by Bishop just isn't very bright"   Although I agree with that statement, I am not so sure that the designed play wasn't simply to give the ball to Bishop and have him make something happen, ala Mo Creek vs. Maryland.   

I am a masochist and watched it again this morning.  There was definitely a play designed.  The first read was for an alley oop to JNJ.  JNJ was open but based on where Bishop caught the ball it's debatable whether or not he made the right decision to hold onto the ball.  Battle popped to the 3 line after setting a pick for JNJ.  Again, debatable whether or not he would've had a clean look at the basket had Bishop passed.

What isn't debatable is that Bishop's shot was putrid.  He would've been better to try to just drive towards the basket and make a circus shot.

12/15/2020 11:53 am  #16

GWRising, I'm sorry but you just can't exonerate the coaching and say it's all on the players to make plays.  There are enough problems to go around between the coaches and the players.  Since I made a big point of mentioning Maceo's defense on Loewe on another thread, I'll throw that out here.  When it became evident to anyone paying attention that Maceo could not guard this guy, why was he permitted to do so throughout the second half?  Anytime Loewe took the ball to the hole resulted in his scoring.  The only stops came when Loewe attempted long jump shots.  And, after making the change to start overtime, why did he go back to Maceo over the final minute of overtime, where Loewe proceeded to score two more baskets after being shut out by Matt the first 4 minutes of OT?  This is just inexplicably terrible coaching and there's no real way to sugar-coat this.

12/15/2020 12:00 pm  #17

He would've been better to try to just drive towards the basket and make a circus shot.   
This was absolutely the right play, especially given JB's skill set. Drive it to the hole, make them defend, either drive and dish or get fouled in the act of shooting
Basketball has become addicted to the 3, even in cases where it is decidedly unneeded. We were down 1, correct? 

12/15/2020 12:20 pm  #18

There were likely 3 options on that play after watching it 10 times.

Lob to JNJ
Ball screen drive for Bishop to his right as other 2 players were set up to left side of court
Pick and pop to Battle for three

2 attempts to get a 2 and then fail safe option for a three if everything was taken away. Bishop unfortunately took Option 4 which wasn't in the plan..

12/15/2020 12:25 pm  #19

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, I'm sorry but you just can't exonerate the coaching and say it's all on the players to make plays.  There are enough problems to go around between the coaches and the players.  Since I made a big point of mentioning Maceo's defense on Loewe on another thread, I'll throw that out here.  When it became evident to anyone paying attention that Maceo could not guard this guy, why was he permitted to do so throughout the second half?  Anytime Loewe took the ball to the hole resulted in his scoring.  The only stops came when Loewe attempted long jump shots.  And, after making the change to start overtime, why did he go back to Maceo over the final minute of overtime, where Loewe proceeded to score two more baskets after being shut out by Matt the first 4 minutes of OT?  This is just inexplicably terrible coaching and there's no real way to sugar-coat this.

Perhaps you didn't notice that Covington was also ripping his man to the rim. Choose your poison, you are dead either way. Maceo was a little bigger than Bishop or Nelson (and can block shots) so I can see the thinking given that neither of them could stop penetration either. I am sure he was also factoring in the need for Moyer to rebound rather than being on the perimeter.

Again, it comes back to players valuing defense, stops and keeping teams off the offensive glass. Nobody has shown that they value those things yet for a sustained period in a game. Doesn't matter zone or man. Until we get that you could have six on the court defensively haha..

Last edited by GWRising (12/15/2020 12:27 pm)

12/15/2020 12:50 pm  #20

I noticed Covington but you're missing the point.  The point is how many times does a coach have to watch something not work before trying something different?  Try JNJ.  If he's not tall enough and getting beat as a result, try Ball or Brelsford.  I have no way of guaranteeing that something different would have worked but after getting beat so many times, you just have to try something different.

Good coaches put their players in positions to succeed.  Maceo was failing repeatedly at defending Loewe.  (And undoubtedly, his technical foul which brought a 6 point GW lead down to 2, was the result of his frustration over not being able to stop his man.)  JC has to be better at adjusting when situations like this arise.

Board footera