GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/24/2020 4:50 pm  #61

Re: Maceo Jack

And yet they both did. Or tried.

12/24/2020 5:26 pm  #62

jf wrote:

And yet they both did. Or tried.

Because players always do what they are told, especially in end of game situations. Really?

In the case of Seymour he was fourth option at best. (first one being Dean, second one Bishop and third, Moyer). What was Seymour supposed to do when Dean passed the ball to him as the clock was about to expire? In Bishop's case he missed a wide open JNJ for a dunk or layup. Again go watch the tape. Execution was bad but the play calls were sound as was the personnel on the court. Bad outcome doesn't always equal bad design.

12/24/2020 8:53 pm  #63

I am confused. Will Maceo finish his degree at GW in May but no longer play? Or will he enroll at a new school for the term beginning in January, transferring his credits and playing a season and a half elsewhere? I wish him the best, he seemed to be comprable to other players who have had to deal with program instability and done well (think Sonni Holland and Chris Monroe) but I guess even Jack has his limits. Will he try to go to a "bigger" programme or pull a Marquin Chandler and become a legend at a smaller one?

12/28/2020 11:21 am  #64

Let's start by getting to the core of this debate.  It's the use of the phrase "run off the team" or words to this effect.  GWRising defines this as say what happened to Amir Harris at Nebraska.  When the coach says "you can still go to school here but we no longer have a scholarship for you", that's an inarguable definition of being run off a team.  Clearly, that is not what happened to Maceo.

When the phrase is used as a figurative one and not necessarily a literal one,   when a player goes from starting 28 games in consecutive years to just once in his first 7 games, and when playing time decreases from nearly 36 minutes per game one season to less than 22 minutes the next, it can be concluded by most reasonable people that he is being figuratively run off the team.  JC hasn't been in his face making his life miserable like (warning:  really old guy reference alert) Robby Benson was made to feel in the movie "One on One." But, it must be a blow to Maceo's ego regardless

This has happened to a player who was willing to spend his entire playing career at GW, who endured a lot of turmoil and turnover, and who based on one's opinion, had earned the right to be treated better and by that, I entirely mean from a playing time perspective.  My sense is that this is why many are upset by this....because no matter how you felt about Maceo's game, he deserved better treatment than this.

Finally, a few words about comparing Maceo's situation to the Richmond freshman who is transferring out.  Yes, both issues revolve around playing time but that's where the similarities end.  To suggest that these situations are the same fails to take into account Maceo's contributions to the program over 3+ years, his sharp reduction in playing time (the Richmond player did not face a reduction in minutes..a big distinction between the two situations), and again, Maceo's willingness to remain a Colonial when he could have easily jumped ship.  Maceo decided that he liked JC and staff and that they could help elevate his game and the program.  JC and staff ultimately decided that either because Maceo was not a part of the future, his game did not justify more playing time, or both of these factors, his role would be diminished.    When the team is struggling and not much is expected from them, it's sad to see this end for Maceo the way it has.

Finally, GWRising, I have on occasion suggested that you seem to have a burning need to get the last word in and on this thread, I see that I am not alone.  Maybe, just maybe, there's some truth to this?  I do not share your opinion that Maceo's situation is no different than the Richmond freshman, and I really do wonder whether if you even believe your own point of view or if you're simply standing firm in order to have the last word.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (12/28/2020 11:26 am)

12/28/2020 12:26 pm  #65

In other words, there's no evidence at all, that JC was indecent, hostile, abusive to Maceo, unlike the very obvious sordid ML years, where players said they were "abused, put through hell, worst year of my life, needed counseling" and a dozen players bolted, many not because of playing time, including the most talented guys on teams, Lasan Kromah (who played a key role on a National Title team) and Kethan Savage (who helped lead Butler to the Sweet 16)

The reason it is so obvious that at least 50% of the "names" beating the same drum, because all of the "names" are 1. New, all changed from just 2 years ago 2. all take the same position 3. in the case of Maceo completely ignored him, trashed him, etc when he was an instantly useful contributor (during the fire "DBO" years) and now all are apocalytpic about a role player leaving in his last half year on a very poor at the beginning of a total rebuild so as to clamor for the firing of his successor (JC)

12/28/2020 1:08 pm  #66

Rather than comment on all of the usual and obvious aspects of this very tiresome Dude post, let's instead focus on this statement:  Kethan Savage helped lead Butler to the Sweet 16.  

In the 3 NCAA tournament games, Kethan failed to reach double digits even once, scoring 19 total points over the three games.  For the season, Kethan was 5th on the team in scoring (averaging 8 points per game), 5th on the team in rebounding, and tied for 3rd on the team in assists.

Kethan was most certainly on the 2016-17 Butler squad that reached the Sweet 16.  To suggest he helped lead the team would require a very flexible definition of what it means to help lead a team.

12/28/2020 1:30 pm  #67

No one is trying to have the last word here. What I am trying to do is put some much needed context to this whole situation that may not be apparent in this age of unbridled speculation.

Perhaps what is missing most here is an understanding that you can't have it both ways. You can't on the one hand say we need to move the program forward and make changes and, at the same time, demand unfettered loyalty to a component of the very program you profess to be disappointed in. 

Add that to the fact that Maceo was still paying more than half the game on average. Again, this is not a case of a player who was relegated to the bench and had DNPs.

Who knows whether Maceo's willingness to remain a Colonial was motivated by loyalty or lack of options elsewhere. You would hope it was the former but last week's development certainly raises questions. Was he in it only if he could be a starter and play a certain role or was he in it for the team? I might be old school but where I come from you don't ever quit on anything mid-season once you start it unless there are extenuating circumstances such as health or a family situation. 

But the big point that gets continually overlooked is that this was Maceo's decision and his decision alone. So it didn't have to be. Tough to be sad for a guy who made his own decision and let his teammates down. I tend to be sad for guys who do the right things but have unfortunate injuries or other circumstances.

12/28/2020 1:40 pm  #68

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 
GW transfer Maceo Jack tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:
Delaware
Loyola-Chicago
UMKC
Portland
Bryant

12/28/2020 2:06 pm  #69

GWRising, I understand what you're saying.  You've lost me in two places:

1) While this was Maceo's decision, you write as if JC's decisions on playing time had zero influence over this decision.  If we can safely assume that Maceo would not have transferred if his playing time was say slightly less than last season, then can you understand why some feel that JC has run him off, in the figurative sense, not with his words but with his decisions about playing time?

2) Do you honestly believe that there is absolutely no difference between Maceo's situation and the freshman from Richmond's decision?  Do you really see no difference between not getting the opportunity you want vs. being demoted?  You can cling to this "playing more than half the game notion" all you want but we should both know full well that when your playing times goes from 35-36 minutes a game as  a junior to 21-22 minutes as a senior, and your starts go from 28-31 as a junior to 1-7 as a senior, it's hard not to view this as a demotion, especially when the team isn't winning as a result of the demotion. 

It's this point in particular that leads me to believe that you're in this for the last word.  Because, I truly don't see a way that you can actually believe that these two situations are the same thing.   

12/28/2020 2:51 pm  #70

1. I'd understand it better if Maceo was sent to the end of the bench. Again, the guy was in the top 6 in minutes played. Where does the calculation of maybe not the role he wanted but the role he deserved (and was still important) come into play?
2. The difference I think is that perhaps you and others don't understand that every year is a new year. Different personnel, new recruits, new schemes. Some recognize opportunity while others see adversity. Surely you are not suggesting that because Maceo played a certain amount in the past he was entitled to same role this year regardless of anything else. So when I say there is no difference between the kid at Richmond or Maceo, I mean that each was not satisfied with their own situation and neither was willing to fight for more time ... be it get on the court at all or go from the bench to a starter. You can spin it however you would like but that's the core issue. Whether one has a better argument than the other is up for debate. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying neither was "forced" in any sense of the word unless the word "forced" now means because I don't like how the coach plays me. That's an interesting use of the word "forced" since only a few guys probably ever get the role they envisioned for themselves entering college.

12/28/2020 3:54 pm  #71

GWRising, this has nothing to do with my perception of things.  I was one of the few who thought Maceo should have been playing much less last season due to his defensive limitations.  

What this does have to do with is the question of whether JC forced Maceo off of the team, not in a literal sense but in a figurative one.  Your position seemed to be that Maceo came to this decision on his own and that the cuts to his playing time, cuts that were decided upon by JC, weren't so significant that it should be concluded that JC ran him off the team in any sense.  Others seem to feel that of course the cuts to his playing time represent a blow to his ego, and that this decision was what caused Maceo to transfer.

I am old school as well and believe you should finish what you start.  But that doesn't detract from the feeling that Maceo was run off of the team.

12/28/2020 4:11 pm  #72

Of course, Maceo was forced off the team.
More on the morality, or lack thereof, of that later.
Also forced off was Mazz, literally, and Toro and numerous others. Think this way even admitted with the likes of Shandon Brown (a JC recruit) and perhaps others.
Bonus points for our insider relating what the plans were for Armel Potter's senior year, before he eventually
became such an important part of the team, he had to play pretty much every uninjured minute.
  Now, the Potter plans would be a very interesting story.
Also, again best suited for another discussion, is how this reflects on JC's ability to judge and use talent and how many games it costs us.

12/28/2020 4:20 pm  #73

I'm a sucker for Senior Night when players get to walk the court with their parents and get a standing ovation from the home crowd so from that standpoint losing Maceo sucks. I'm sad that due to COVID Maceo was never going to get a proper Senior Night send off anyway.  For what he had to deal with he definitely deserved one.  

In terms of the debate, I can say from my own personal experience I was in line for a promotion at work only to have someone hired from outside the organization.  Did the head of the office "run me off?"  No, not exactly.  I could have totally stayed doing what I was doing before.  However, their decision made me question my assumptions about the people I was working for and eventually led me to look for a new job about 6 months later.

I don't think Maceo was unfairly treated by JC but I do find it sad that he ultimately decided his best opportunity was to leave because I always want our recruits to stay through graduation.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/28/2020 4:41 pm)

12/28/2020 5:41 pm  #74

GW0509 wrote:

GW transfer Maceo Jack tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:
Delaware
Loyola-Chicago
UMKC
Portland
Bryant

I'm surprised he's not gaining the attention of higher caliber programs.

12/28/2020 6:11 pm  #75

Thank you Gwmayhem-I don’t have the energy!

12/28/2020 8:38 pm  #76

ColonialsNotHippos wrote:

porter71 wrote:

On a positive note, his minutes will likely go to JNJ, which could keep him from transferring next season as well.

If JNJ doesn't follow Maceo out the door in the coming days...maybe

12/28/2020 8:45 pm  #77

MG14 wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Delaware
Loyola-Chicago
UMKC
Portland
Bryant

I'm surprised he's not gaining the attention of higher caliber programs.

So, DELEWARE has beaten GW and is in the new President´s neighborhood (although GW is the President´s neighbor)
LOYOLA-CHICAGO is an NBA market and has a recent Final Four banner, but its pizza is somewhat controversial.
UMKC gets on TV from time to time but is pretty obscure although it has better BBQ than DC.
PORTLAND is an NBA market and plays in near obscurity, expect the two times a season it plays Gonzaga. But you can get better coffee in Portland than DC (so long as you have a goatee and wallet chain and ride a bike).
BRYANT unlike GW is not named after anyone famous (like former Musketeer Anita Bryant) and also plays in obscurity, albeit with less snow than DC.

Agree that he can probably do better.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (12/28/2020 8:47 pm)

12/28/2020 9:07 pm  #78

Maceo will surely get additional looks...only been five days (or whatever)

12/29/2020 11:33 am  #79

Will he really get better looks?  I think many of you overrate him. To paraphrase LSF, the easiest player to overrate is someone who scores points on a bad team. 

What Maceo is, is an above average shooter (career 35% from 3, 86% from the line) with few other discernible skills.  He is a below average defender, not a ball handler or shot creator, and not an exceptional athlete (he’s slow). 

His offensive rating against Tier A completion was just 14.2 as a freshman, 50.8 as a sophomore, and 89.6 as a junior -all way below average (and his junior year is boosted by a good showing vs Vermont, but his Ortg was dreadful in our other 5 tier A games). . Add Tier B games, and his Ortg still tops out at 91.9 last year. 

In other words, he has demonstrated absolutely no ability to make a positive impact against highly athletic, high quality teams. He is, and always has been, a decent low-major player.

I’m bummed he’s leaving, but I would be shocked if he went to a BCS type program and made a big impact.   At best, I think it would be like Toro, as an 8 or 9th man who makes little impact.  Nelson, on the other hand, while he may be a below average offensive player, has the athleticism to play just about anywhere.

Also wanted to add, in response to this debate about whether the drop to 22 minutes a game pushed him out, I think you are all missing something.  It’s not just the drop in minutes, it’s the drop in usage with this new Bishop or one pass offense. 

Maceo’s usage rate was 18.8 as a freshman and he took 19% of the shots when he was on the floor.  As a sophomore under MoJo, he used 20.8% of possessions and took 25% of the shots when on the floor.  Last year, under JC, he used just 16.5% of possessions and took 21% of the shots.

This year, he was using only 11.2% of possessions and taking a career low 14.1% of the shots.  Granted, with fewer shots, his efficiency was sky rocketing, but it has to be frustrating for him to not get his shots even when he does play.

12/29/2020 11:55 am  #80

Amen FQ.  And, great point about JNJ's usage.  Without using that word, that was a large part of the point I was making on the JNJ thread.  What was supposed to be a partnership between James and JNJ became a one-sided one very quickly. 

Board footera