GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2020 11:11 pm  #1

Second year coaching records

Jarvis:  16-12  (5-2 after 7 games)
Hobbs:  12-17  (4-3)
Lonergan:   13-17  (4-3)
Christian:   ???  (1-6)
Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan would go on to post some huge successes with the Colonials...perhaps some of the best seasons ever with the program.   Of course Christian has to have the opportunity to develop his own team, and admittedly the team he had inherited was probably worse than the team inherited by other teams (even Jaris, just 2 years off of a 1-27 team, inherited Sonni Holland and Dirkk Surles), although Lonergan's inherited team was pretty bad.  But Jarvis was able to recruit the likes of Yinka, Evans, Vaughn, Hart; Hobbs brought in Elliot, Pops, Hall, Omar, etc. and Lonergan had JoeMac, Pato, Kethan, Larsen, Armwood (and of course later Cavanaugh).   Not sure I see Christian bringing in these quality recruits, at least not yet.   Like I said, Christian has to have the opportunity to develop his own team, but I can understand why many are thinking perhaps he is in over his head.

12/28/2020 11:33 pm  #2

Re: Second year coaching records

I wasn’t around for Jarvis, but have witnessed the start of Hobbs and Lonergan.  The one thing you saw there, regardless of record, was a glimpse of what they were trying to do.  You could get an early sense of what the coaches mindset was and what the team identity was going to be.

I have no idea what this current team is.  With the constant changing of starting lineups and shifting defenses, I have no clue what “Mayhem” is supposed to be.  What it looks like to me is the we took the Penders defense from 1999-2001 and combined it with Hobbs offense from 2007-2009.  Not great.

12/28/2020 11:36 pm  #3

Not only shifting defenses, Porter, but also shifting offenses.

12/29/2020 4:51 am  #4

Don't know if they can or not, but let's do whatever we do with some decency and honor, especially 
for the athletes who have served loyally throughout turmoil like Maceo. 
Right now, we're losing with no dignity.
The basketball world knows it. Check out A10 Talk twitter.

12/29/2020 10:19 am  #5

That is my thought too 71. What are they trying to do? The first Jarvis game I saw I couldn’t believe how much better their defense was. After Mojo I thought who ever came next would have GW playing better defense. Have some kind of structure that made up for some individual shortcomings.

12/29/2020 10:20 am  #6

Notice you leave MoJo (then again, there is some rhetorical controversy as to which season was his "second" since he was "interim coach" for a year) and Penders off the list. It is all very apples and oranges. Personally I think Christian and KH inherrited comprable situations, although KH could tap in to the phony high school recruiting pool.
Zero conference games in to a coach´s second season is too premature to begin thinking about passing judgement on his tenure; we are not an SEC football team. We are all well-aware of how wretched the play has been so far in 2020-21 and it damn well better start improving but we can only hope, as someone shouted at a political convention, that "THE BEST IS YET TO COME!", or that we get some good calamari on the Rhode Island road trip...

12/29/2020 10:31 am  #7

I’m not saying fire anyone. I’m just stunned we are this bad.
But I guess I shouldn’t be. A young team needed a typical off-season and nobody got that.

12/29/2020 10:58 am  #8

No FredD, you should be.  In a perfectly normal season, an "average" GW goes somewhere between 5-2 and 7-0 against this schedule.  Given our youth and inexperience, I can reasonably bring this expectation down to to between 4-3 and 5-2 based on talent alone.  3-4 if you'd like to be overly generous.

Not 1-6.  Not against this schedule.  It is in fact stunning.

12/29/2020 11:25 am  #9

GWAA:  I left Penders and Mojo off the list because they were in very different situations when they accepted the job.   Both inherited strong teams and did not have to be in "rebuild" mode ala Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan.  Penders inherited a team that went to the NCAA tournament he year before and made it again in is first year and  Mojo's first team included Yuta, Tyler and several other quality players.  It was on them to maintain the success that they inherited (but obviously failed to do) as opposed to rebuild a program that had fallen upon bad times.

Board footera