GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2019 12:21 pm  #1

Long article about Maureece Rice's high school closing from Deadspin

10/23/2019 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Long article about Maureece Rice's high school closing from Deadspin

I believe Omar Williams also went there.

10/23/2019 5:53 pm  #3

I remember when the diploma mill story came out and the NCAA came down on these "schools."  I confess that I never would have considered the other side of the story, the way the NCAA and the media presented it.  This article does a nice job, even if it may be biased, in showing that the issue shouldn't have been what this school was doing but rather why it was necessary in the first place.

If you haven't read the article, you should.

Barry

10/24/2019 8:26 am  #4

Thank you for posting this Squid.  Another example of how there are usually two sides to every story.  The Times and Washington Post each portrayed Schofield as someone who had no real interest in educating these players.  This article points out that while a few were dissatisfied with the school, there were plenty of others who were grateful not just for the basketball opportunity but for the education they received.  Schofield gave out assignments, had the students redo them if they were sub-par, and arranged for special tutors to work with those who had reading difficulties.  That's a far cry from showing up in class and doing nothing all day, as the Times, Post and NCAA would have you believe.  And, BGF is absolutely correct when he says that the article does a great job in describing how basketball students who were struggling academically were being left behind, allowing Schofield to fill an important need.  Considering that all of these years later, Schofield never entered the college ranks as a coach, along with many players speaking out on his behalf with zero motivation to do so, it's easy to conclude that Philadelphia Lutheran may not have been the joke that many made it out to be.

Board footera