GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2020 3:31 pm  #141

Re: GW vs Fordham Game Thread

Gwmayhem wrote:

Come on Rising, please stop it.  Wonders for everyone?  A win against Fordham is now a wonder?  

Yes, they can desperately use a win and it would in fact end the year on a good note.   Let's win today and then let's beat Duquesne on Saturday (who we split with last season).  It will take a 2-0 conference start to get me to feel a bit better about this team.  Not solely a win today. 

Seriously Gwmayhem? Did you miss all the doings of the last few days or the 1-6 start? The win was not important because it was Fordham. It was important to get something positive going at a critical time to get the players who remain starting to see there could be light at the end of the tunnel. Imagine going to Fordham and losing after all that has happened. Then tell me this win doesn't do wonders for this program at this juncture.

12/30/2020 3:49 pm  #142

Am not disputing the sentiment as much as I am the hyperbole.  I really don't believe you are The Dude but saying things like beating Fordham will do wonders for this program is right out of his playbook.  Let's both be happy about a well played win against a lousy team.  And, Happy New year to you as well as to all of the posters out there.

12/30/2020 3:53 pm  #143

Mayhem and Rising, I was just getting ready to post how a big win on here makes everyone a bit happier with each other.  

12/30/2020 4:00 pm  #144

BGF wrote:

Mayhem and Rising, I was just getting ready to post how a big win on here makes everyone a bit happier with each other.  

BGF, that was funny!  I feel tho that you make a very good point!!!

12/30/2020 4:00 pm  #145

Gwmayhem wrote:

Am not disputing the sentiment as much as I am the hyperbole.  I really don't believe you are The Dude but saying things like beating Fordham will do wonders for this program is right out of his playbook.  Let's both be happy about a well played win against a lousy team.  And, Happy New year to you as well as to all of the posters out there.

Agreed. Happy New Year!

12/30/2020 4:17 pm  #146

Big positives today ...

1. Opening up a lead and maintaining it.
2. The B's - Bishop, Battle, Ball, Brelsford, Brown
3. +13 rebounding margin
4. Positive Team Assist to TO ratio
5. Sloan knocking down shots early
6. The first semblance of cohesive team defense for 40 minutes. Our FG defense stats are really going to improve.

Let's hope these things carry-over to 2021,

12/30/2020 4:30 pm  #147

Love some of you more than others-but happy new year to all.It’s been a hellacious year for many folks.
Im very grateful I have the incredible luxury of getting into the minutiae of college team sports.
There is a lot of “real “ pain out there.We are the lucky ones.

12/30/2020 5:01 pm  #148

Happy about the win, so pissed I missed it!

12/30/2020 6:00 pm  #149

GWRising wrote:

Big positives today ...

1. Opening up a lead and maintaining it.
2. The B's - Bishop, Battle, Ball, Brelsford, Brown
3. +13 rebounding margin
4. Positive Team Assist to TO ratio
5. Sloan knocking down shots early
6. The first semblance of cohesive team defense for 40 minutes. Our FG defense stats are really going to improve.

Let's hope these things carry-over to 2021,

GWRising, I feel today was a new beginning for this team,  I appreciate how they responded to the adversity associated with the recent player and coach departures and to the early season close losses.

A wise basketball man once said that we must let the bread bake.  So even though it's in the oven and will take some time before it's ready to serve to everyone, I think the bread is starting to smell very good!

12/30/2020 6:53 pm  #150

Might want to wait a few games,but feels better to win than lose.

12/30/2020 8:08 pm  #151

Gwmayhem wrote:

Well, we were long overdue to kick someone right in the little Sorianos.  God bless Kenny the announcer.  I will be toasting him soon with a drink of water in the middle of the night.

HA! I caught that "Drink Of Water In The Middle Of The Night" line from the Fordham announcer too. I've never heard it phrased that way before, but it was somewhat creative. It sounded as if those guys have been broadcasting Fordham games for several years, and that can't be an enjoyable experience no matter what type of pay they get, but Kenny and the other guy remain upbeat for the entire game, so you have to respect them.  

12/31/2020 10:11 am  #152

I can’t believe I missed this “good vibe” game yesterday.  So I don’t have any insight on it, but we come on here and complain bitterly when the team doesn’t play well, so they deserve all the credit for when they do get a big blowout W on the road.  Great way to end 2020, hopefully with a little momentum.  It is only one data point against the worst (or second worst) team in the A-10, but have any “addition by subtraction” theories floated around yet with the team’s minutes and clearer, more defined roles driving the result?

12/31/2020 10:37 am  #153

Don’t think you can say addition by subtraction after one game, Motsach, though perhaps the team simply responded to the upheaval with a better defensive effort and more sharing of the ball. 

One thing I’d note is that in the first 7 games, our assist totals from everyone other than Bishop were 5, 5, 6, 5, 6, 7, and 6.   Yesterday, other than Bishop we had 13!

Some of that is just shooting better, but there’s no question we moved the ball better than in any game this year, especially with Tyler and Lincoln getting 5 and 4 assists respectively.  Hopefully not just a coincidence, but a sign of things to come.

Board footera