GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2021 3:10 pm  #1

Coming season prediction-- before practice begins

Oh how I would like to be wrong, but I have watched too much GW basketball last five years. 
This is not my most pessimistic view of the coming season. Hey, I am predicting we beat Fordham twice and don't lose at home to teams such as UMES, Radford and UMass-Lowell like we have done in recent seasons.
So before practice begins or we have another injury, here's a look at the coming season.
Let me know what you think, but it says here. Tell me where I am wrong. 
Overall -- 13-17 (Pretty depressing)
A-10 -- 5-13 (Bottom four of A-10)
St. Francis -- W
at Maryland -- L
at UC San Diego -- L
at Fullerton -- W
UMass-Lowell -- W
Wright St -- L
Two other Naples game -- W, W
BU --W
at Charlotte -- L
Radford --W
UMES -- W
St. Bona -- L
at St. Joe's -- L
at Duquesne -- L
Dayton -- L
at VCU -- L
GMU -- W
at URI -- L
at St.L -- L
Fordham -- W
La Salle -- W
Davidson -- L
at UMass -- L
at Dayton -- L
URI -- L
Richmond -- L
at GMU -- L
Duquesne -- W
Fordham --W

9/17/2021 3:34 pm  #2

Re: Coming season prediction-- before practice begins

JC should be canned if this happens

9/17/2021 4:54 pm  #3

With Ira Lee, I’d have said 19-11, 11-7.   Without him, I’m not sure.   Maybe more like 15-15, but hard to say.

9/17/2021 6:31 pm  #4

Steve Urkel wrote:

JC should be canned if this happens

Yeah, but I think all of us would be surprised if JC lost his job at 13-17 this season.  It shows how the low the expectations are for GW men's basketball.  With the cupcake laded early schedule there should be no excuse for not having a winning record this season
Here's year 3 for pervious coaches. 
Year 3
Lonergan 24-9
Hobbs 18-12 (Seven years later he got fired after a 17-14 season, but now are we going to be ok with a sub .500 record?)
Penders 14-18. (he was fired after this season.)
Jarvis 21-9
Kuester 13-15 (He kept his job, it was on his way to 1-27)
Gimelstob 17-12  (Fired after next season going 14-14.

9/17/2021 8:53 pm  #5

Clearly the expectation is that a big jump forward in year 3.  Obviously the chances of that are hurt by losing our starting center (who would have been a top 3 or 4 big in the A10) and the pandemic last year probably gets somewhat of a mulligan because it was such a hard, screwed up year and new players across the country often struggled. If we don’t see real signs of a turnaround, then he’ll be on the hot seat and tear 4 will be the decider.   

But for now I choose to believe he’s the right guy and that the combo of Bishop, Bamisile, Freeman, Adams, Lindo (and others) means we are in the right direction. I assume we will be better just because the talent is better.  We are certainly athletic enough (at least at 1-4) to compete in ways we couldn’t the past few year, and I think most on this board underestimate how low our talent level has been 1 when Armel Potter, a good scorer for some of the worst D1 teams, and Maceo Jack (average shooter, below average defender and ball handler), and Joe Mazzula (though kid who can’t shoot a lick) seem like talented guys, you just don’t have what it takes to compete.  I assume the 4Bs and Lindo represent a big upgrade and now we’ll find out if   IJC can develop an identity and teach the kids how to win. Might not be as good as we want in year one (especially without Lee - have I mentioned I loved watching that kid play at Arizona?), but hopefully we will start to see the turnaround.

9/17/2021 9:56 pm  #6

I don't blame the negative outlook based on the past couple seasons. I'm going to say 15-16 wins. Not based on really anything other than unbridled optimism (seems real smart, I know!). We have yet to see a cohesive defense on the floor. On paper, we do have some promising pieces on that end, and hopefully that translates to us playing man more (even with the Lee injury). I swear if I have to see that zone defense again this season...

More or less agree with the OOC predictions, especially given we're basically putting a new team on the floor which will take some time to come together. Even with the short west coast trip turnaround, I would hope that UC San Diego is a W because they aren't going to be any good next season. I could see Fullerton being a disappointment given they do have some offensive talent on the roster (they don't play a lick of defense though).

We're going to have to do better in A10 play than 5-13. We won more A10 games than that in JC's first year. Another bottom 4 finish would be a massive disappointment this season. Hoping for at least seven (maybe eight) wins in conference play this year. Games like St. Joe's (even with Hall), La Salle, and Fordham should be winnable. I could also see Duquesne/Mason/URI being a split (or better). I'm not particularly high on URI. I only worry a bit about Mitchell down low given the hole at the 5 without Lee. I think UMass and Davidson are not out of question given neither team plays particularly good defense. The other teams are probably losses. I feel like Dayton is particularly a bad matchup given the number of bigs/rangy wings they have on their roster.

Really hoping we're finally in the top 200 of KenPom (ideally in the top 150-175 range). Whether guys like Adams, Harris, Lee, and Lindo return the following season would also play a role as to how high expectations should be this year. JC has tried to play up GW's grad school but we won't have enough continuity to lean on for higher expectations in year 4 (even with Bamisile, Bishop, and Freeman returning). Noel and Hunter are the key guys this season. JC's offense doesn't really require the bigs to do much, but given how much PnR-based the offense is, it would be nice to see the roll man used more to balance out off nights for the guards. I didn't really see Hunter being anything more than an energy guy for 15-20 minutes a game last season. Based on the scrimmage, I was a bit disappointed we didn't see him more as a stretch 5. Last year was crazy and he only had half a season to play so maybe he shows more this year. I really like Noel's potential but he is going to have to grow up real fast this season.

9/18/2021 7:37 am  #7

It's a Hobbs schedule without the Hobbs roster.
12 wins, 5 in conference, including an 0-8 start.

9/18/2021 7:30 pm  #8

10 wins, 11 max. 4 wins in conference, two of them being the even more rock bottom Fordham program

9/18/2021 7:31 pm  #9

JC doesn't get fired this year. At least I'd be shocked if he is, regardless of the record. Plus replace him with WHO exactly

9/19/2021 12:06 am  #10

non Leavgue            8-4
St. Francis -- W

at Maryland -- L
at UC San Diego -- L
at Fullerton -- W
UMass-Lowell -- W
Wright St -- L
Two other Naples game -- W, W
BU --W
at Charlotte -- L
Radford --W
UMES -- W

League          4-14
St. Bona -- L

at St. Joe's -- L
at Duquesne -- L
Dayton -- L
at VCU -- L
GMU -- L
at URI -- L
at St.L -- L
Fordham -- W
La Salle -- W
Davidson -- L
at UMass -- L
at Dayton -- L
URI -- L
Richmond -- L
at GMU -- L
Duquesne -- W
Fordham --W

9/19/2021 8:51 am  #11

Life's too short to not be optimistic

St. Francis -- W

at Maryland -- L
at UC San Diego -- W
at Fullerton -- W
UMass-Lowell -- W
Wright St -- W
Two other Naples game -- L, W
BU --W
at Charlotte -- W
Radford --W
UMES -- W
St. Bona -- L
at St. Joe's -- W
at Duquesne -- L
Dayton -- L
at VCU -- L
GMU -- W
at URI -- L
at St.L -- L
Fordham -- W
La Salle -- W
Davidson -- L
at UMass -- W
at Dayton -- L
URI -- W
Richmond -- L
at GMU -- W
Duquesne -- L
Fordham --W

18-12 (8-10)

9/19/2021 9:49 am  #12

This is a big season for JC I believe.Even without Lee they have much better athletes then they have had in the recent past.I think 15-15 is certainly reasonable.Enough with COVID excuse(most teams suffered as we did).I’ve got to say as an alum from 1969 I’m beginning (what took you so long?)to think that it’s time to seriously consider the Patriot League.I never thought I’d say that!-Our academic reputation is in serious decline and we are talking Bball!,I know this is a Bball site-duh-but Rome is burning.We’ve got to step it up
in the next 2 or 3 seasons or move on.One of my relatives was on the D111 Women’s National Champions
Amherst team.Frankly I would take that over a D1 NIT Championship.Forgive me for dumping this morning-
Im just frustrated with the interminable “how are we gonna do next year” stuff.

9/20/2021 11:03 am  #13

I am with GW0509,  18-12 overall, 8-10 in the conference (after a 2-6 start).  The starts have been so bad under JC that I think this becomes a point of emphasis.  Losses to MD and one OOC loss in Cali.  I have them winning the tournament in Naples and also winning at Charlotte after last season's heartbreaker (they are more talented this year and have had some success at Charlotte in the past).  Big difference this year is that in the OOC, JC can noodle with lineups and schemes but has enough talent to win most of the games when they are on the line.

9/20/2021 2:49 pm  #14

Well I suppose it would help this whole discussion if some realized that Coppin State was on the schedule and we have 31 total games pre-A 10 tournament.

That said, I will go with 9-4 OOC and 9-9 Conference leading to 18-13 heading into A-10 Tournament play.

By the way with Ira, I would have said:

10-3 OOC
11-7 A-10

So I believe Ira's loss will end up costing us about 3 wins. Hope I am wrong and there is no effect.

Last edited by GWRising (9/20/2021 2:51 pm)

9/21/2021 8:00 pm  #15

GWRising wrote:

Well I suppose it would help this whole discussion if some realized that Coppin State was on the schedule and we have 31 total games pre-A 10 tournament.

That said, I will go with 9-4 OOC and 9-9 Conference leading to 18-13 heading into A-10 Tournament play.

By the way with Ira, I would have said:

10-3 OOC
11-7 A-10

So I believe Ira's loss will end up costing us about 3 wins. Hope I am wrong and there is no effect.

If Ira was there I would have agreed with your prediction. Lot of pressure on Noel - or on coach to devise a small ball system for maybe half the fame that works of Noel and Hunter aren’t able to play the 5 for 40 minutes without being exploited.

9/23/2021 6:03 am  #16

I think15-16 wins.  There is too much talent from transfers to expect anything less.  The coaching staff needs to ensure they have the best group working together on the court and handle the egos.
I hope Coach sees the importance of winning these early games to build fan momentum and excitement rather than testing rotations and falling to inferior teams.
We need butts in seats to help rebuild the program and losing to teams like Morgan State or St Francis will not help.

9/23/2021 8:35 am  #17

In the old days (of a few years back), during the off season, we would have maybe3-4 players leave (for graduation, transfer, other reasons) and 3 or 4 players be added (high school recruits, maybe a transfer or an eligible redshirt).  Based upon our familiarity with the core of the team (the returning players) and the reports on the 3-4 newcomers, we could sit down and make a rational prediction.  With Christian having blown up the team over the past 2 seasons (not a bad thing as it needed to be done), who knows how we will be this season.  Who knows which power conference step downs will become impact players at our level or whether there are major pieces still missing, or whether all these new faces can play as a cohesive unit?    I find it incredible that there is no scholarship players who have been on the team for more than one season, and that was an abbreviated season at that.   For us to return to competing as a top 4 A-10 team on a regular basis, we will need to keep the team together for more than a season at at time (easier said than done in these days of relaxed transfer rules.  What we do know for a certainty is that this is Christian's (and Vogel's) team now, and how they perform over the next season (or two) should determine their future at GW.   So I will take an off season optimists view for next season and agree with PKGW on his 15-16 win prediction, knowing it could very well be a 10-21 or a 21-10 season.   I also know that the old saying..."you cannot tell the players without a scorecard", is very accurate this year.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (9/23/2021 8:40 am)

9/23/2021 9:06 am  #18

LSF, I don't disagree with much of what you wrote except for one thing ... JC did not "blow up" the team. There was no pre-determined plan to "blow up" the team. Kids left because they either were not good fits for the systems JC wanted to run, did not like the school, or they realized their playing time would not be what it was in the past. There was not a single case where JC told someone to leave. It was more a sign of the times which was exacerbated by the change in coaching. Change brings change. 

9/23/2021 9:19 am  #19

GWRising, yes, but....

when kids realize that playing time would not be what it was in the past (or I would add, or not what a player anticipated would be the case), this often carries the same effect of "blowing up the team."  When looked at literally, as you tend to do, you are 100% correct.  I am sure JC never told anyone that they had to leave.  But when your actions are such that players become disgruntled with their limited or reduced role on the team, the consequences often are that the player will voluntarily leave.  It's hard to make the case that JC and staff had nothing to do with this, even if words were never spoken to this effect.  

9/23/2021 10:01 am  #20

GWRising wrote:

LSF, I don't disagree with much of what you wrote except for one thing ... JC did not "blow up" the team. There was no pre-determined plan to "blow up" the team. Kids left because they either were not good fits for the systems JC wanted to run, did not like the school, or they realized their playing time would not be what it was in the past. There was not a single case where JC told someone to leave. It was more a sign of the times which was exacerbated by the change in coaching. Change brings change. 

I tend to agree with Mayhem on this, Rising.   When there is a 100% turnover in such a brief period of time, I think it is a stretch to say that wasn't at least partially, if not totally, by design, even though nobody may have been "literally" kicked out the door.  There are other ways to communicate that you do not have a real future with the team and maybe its time to leave other than telling someone to leave.    Are you suggesting that wasn't the case with at least many of the departees, Rising?  And again, as a fan of the team, I am not saying this is a bad thing, but rather something that had to be done.  The negative flip side of this is that the coach was so impossible to work with that the players all bailed to get away from him (which I don't think is the case.)   But for the entire team (other than those out of eligibility or in Moyer's case because he had professional opportunities) to decide over a year's time, even in these times of easy transfer rules, it stretches credibility to think it was coincidence and not by design.   Just how many new guards can you add to a team before players like Brelsford and Ball conclude that maybe there is no future for them as a Colonial?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (9/23/2021 10:10 am)

Board footera