GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2019 3:38 pm  #21

Re: What's with the rotation?

Get the program right and the wins will come when they matter. We need more talent and time to adjust to a different playing style. It's a process. Nobody will care about two November losses to a Patriot and MEAC team in year one if JC gets this right in year two or three. 

I guess I come from the perspective that when you realize what damage was done to this program beginning from the "decision" in 2016, you can't be humiliated or bothered by much now. For the first time since the "decision" we have someone trying to dig us out of this deep mess. I can now see that it won't be easy and it won't be quick.

11/18/2019 3:57 pm  #22

GWRising, nobody is suggesting that we can just show up and win.  I thought we were outcoached (pretty badly) against AU, and that we were outworked by MSU.  I hope though that you're not making the case that our talent is at the level of AU's or Morgan State's because that's where I'll strongly disagree.  Without the St. Joe's connection, JNJ is likely playing at a power conference school.  (I will not be shocked to see him in a Michigan uniform one day though I of course pray that will never be the case.)  Toro was offered by Penn State and was the 127th ranked player in his class out of high school.  Justin M. received an offer from Boston College.  Mezie was offered by URI and rumors had persisted of Maryland's interest.  By contrast, AU's best player, Sa'eed Nelson, was rated a 1 star by ESPN and was rated a composite 2 star overall.   Am not sure who may have offered MSU's best player, Stanley Davis, Jr. but I can't find anything.  Granted much of our talent has not been well developed but the natural talent level of our players is in a different class than AU or Morgan State.

11/18/2019 4:27 pm  #23

Well feel better after the losses in the second year of a new coach were pointed out. But we were 2-2 after four games, also beating BU and Hofstra. 3-3 after six games. We are 1-3 losing to Towson, as well as AU and Morgan State at home. Took us 37 minutes to comfortably put away Howard at home, and Howard lost to Toledo afterward 112-68.
Two of those losses found some inexplicable coaching decisions, from truly bizarre rotations that made no sense to seeming strategic lapses in not fouling, followed in the next game by a last shot play drawn up for an unproven shooter. JC is not showing coaching brilliance, though judging from comments, many of us think he will be a fine coach.
On the other hand,using the second year analogy a 13-17 second year was followed by 24-9 and an NCAA tournament appearance. That second year, though, was really the first with the Lonergan big cohort of players, while JC got a lot of his recruits in this year.
But most important, we could feel progress then. Don't see any progress (quite naturally yet) or even energy from most of the players (while energetic Mazz sits for no apparent reason). Soon as we feel progress, we will feel better. And still believe and hope we will.
   But Arnaldo injured or not, we should not lose to Morgan State (or AU really) at home. Sorry. Some losses can't be explained away. What has us freaked out is the odd rotation that can affect player morale going forward and seemed to show little understanding of how the game unfolded.  And our expectations should never be so low that we hang our heads in defeat before we take the court and take solace in an unexpected defeat.
 So, if JC is subcontracting out the offense and "defense," he needs to take control.  Adjustments need to be made, even if they clash with his preferred style. JC has shown himself to be a smart and talented coach and we have to believe he will continue his upward progression here. It is a low pressure situation this year, but not a no pressure situation.
   Don't know about everybody else, but as a whole, wins and losses always matter. Would rather we lose honorably than lower our values.  But if we become a doormat for the Morgan State, AU and Towsons, then that affects morale, recruiting and fans.
We have at least one key player we need to retain next year. And while the few hardcore fans here aren't going anywhere, it will be hard to fill the Smith Center without free alcohol to the students if we don't win at least a bit. It really felt good when the Smith Center was rocking in the first home game.
   Think most of us are glad JC is here, for a number of reasons. He doesn't get a free pass, but isn't expected to be in postseason play either. Do expect in a few years, though that we will be.
And while not expecting a banner year, still want to win some games, especially those we should win.
That should be a reasonable expectation, especially as the season continues.

11/18/2019 4:35 pm  #24

Gwmayhem you need to stop reading recruiting rankings. They are often misguided. Question for you. How did Merrimack beat Northwestern? How about Nicholls State over Pitt? I could go on. Yes, I am saying our talent is slightly better than AU or Morgan State right now but not so much better that we can show up and win.

The natural talent level is not determined by rankings. There are many 1 stars and 2 stars out-performing 3 and 4 stars.

As for being out-coached in either game, I don't buy that either. Look at our shooting percentages. The shots were there, we couldn't score. Add in the turnovers against AU and Toro going down vs. Morgan and it's a wrap. And even with that we still had a chance to win both games.

And yes, Sa'eed Nelson was the best guard on the floor that night. Hands down. 

11/18/2019 4:38 pm  #25

All I'm going to say to you guys is that some things will become apparent as to certain player rotations soon. Wait for it.

11/18/2019 5:30 pm  #26

GWRising, we agree that our talent isn't so superior that we can sleepwalk our way through games and win.  If this is your point, I'll buy that.  However, our natural talent level is quite a bit above those of our last two opponents.  High school rankings are a factor, just as offers are a factor, just as the eye test is a factor.  It was a way to help explain why I believe our talent level is superior to AU and MSU.  It's not like I buy into what the rankings say without any other influences.

I do think it's hard to make the argument that our talent level wasn't significantly better AND we weren't outcoached.  If Northwestern and Pitt have more talent than Merrimack and Nichols State, then there is a great likelihood that they were outcoached.  

Two ways to be outcoached that may not come to mind:  1) When the better team does not show up, I have to look at the coaching staff.  OK, Northwestern didn't beat Merrimack by 20, but how can they not win by at least 1?  Good coaching squeaks out that win on days when the team fails to show up (where there is this big a discrepancy in talent).  2) Good coaching puts the team in a position to succeed.  You say the shots were there but we couldn't score.  True, but if we have a lousy outside shooting team who has yet to break 30% shooting from three in each of the first four games, what should we make of an offense that's designed to have the team shoot 25+ times per game from 3?  I understand why this is what it is, but should this be considered good coaching?  Should not taking a foul at the end of the AU game to disrupt their rhythm, or not double teaming Nelson with a few seconds left be considered good coaching?  Or drawing up a big 3 for Walker who had barely played prior to Saturday?

Despite how this sounds, I am a JC fan.  I love his enthusiasm.  He is obviously already connecting with the students and that's great.  But I really don't think his coaching should be defended based on these first 4 games.  Hopefully, the team becomes healthier and he develops a better sense for his players and rotations.  There's no reason they can't improve this season.

By the way, great post by JF.  Really well stated.

11/18/2019 6:22 pm  #27

GW has fundamentally changed the way in which it structures its offense from last year. Some of our players are better suited to the style GW played last year and others were recruited to play JC's style. The bottom line is JC wants to play a certain way for the long term benefit of the program. GW has mismatched parts which is understandable in year one. Undoubtedly, JC is not going to sacrifice that development to beat AU and Morgan State in his first year. He has bigger goals in mind. That may mean we have to take a step back to go forward. As I said before this is his year to set the program culture and style of play. Again, I'm not worried if we lose some games we might have won as long as JC gets the program to advance developmentally this year. 

Also, not everything comes down to coaching or being outcoached. Sometimes guys appear to be good coaches because guys make shots doing exactly the same thing as they would if they didn't make those shots. There is an old saying in basketball coaching circles that I have heard often ... it's not about the X's and O's but rather the Jimmies and the Joes. When the Jimmies and Joes are right the X's and O's usually follow. 

I believe our X's and O's are light years ahead of the past 3 years. We defend much better overall. We run some really good stuff. We ran a last second play versus Morgan State that got us a wide open 3 by Walker. It didn't go in but the play was outstanding. I am not in the least bit worried about our coaching. I am much more concerned about our talent level. Put another way, I'm not sure except perhaps for Toro we have a player who would start for any other A-10 team at the moment. Maybe in a year or so that changes. But unless they let us go play in the MAAC or America East, we are going to be playing with a talent deficit this year virtually every game in the A-10.

Last edited by GWRising (11/18/2019 6:23 pm)

11/18/2019 6:35 pm  #28

I failed to see the season ticket promo flyer with the note about wins and losses this year being secondary to development.

Jameer has a 76% ORtg and uses 35% of our shots (#26 in the nation).  Wonder what Anthony Register (our numbers guy) has to say about that.

11/18/2019 7:26 pm  #29

I believe JC will turn things around, and the W-L in his first few games or even first year will hardly indicate what the future.
Hobbs and ML lost big at first, Penders and Mojo each won 20 games, first year.
Your first year is what you inherit.  

11/18/2019 8:12 pm  #30

I understand both viewpoints. The AU loss didn't really hurt that much despite losing on a buzzer beater, and I didn't come out discouraged. I was very encouraged by team play coming out of halftime where we overall played a strong second half. That's progress to me even with it being a loss.

However, I do not feel the same way about Morgan State, a weaker team that we were leading against for quite a good part of the game and let the game slip away at the end. In my opinion, I draw a line when we lose to a team from the MEAC. Not knocking the conference or players (on the topic of "rankings" which I too don't read much into, Morgan State has two players who were highly ranked out of HS - Troy Holston was top 150, and Troy Baxter was top 100 and Baxter had a double double against us) - like I said, I've always really respected the effort of those guys because they always play with a chip on their shoulder, which is something our team could learn from moving forward because so far we are lacking energy for sure. It's just accepted that we face those teams to beat them and pick up a few wins in a year where W's are going to be hard to come by. Nothing is given, but it's understood that not too much is required to beat these teams even in a rebuilding year. As mentioned by jf, it doesn't boost team morale to finish the year with a truly awful record. No, I'm not putting any stock in W-L record, but that doesn't mean we should just lose every game this season. For what its worth, I don't expect to as I foresee us winning a few games where we shoot a ridiculous percentage from 3.

While the floor spacing on offense has been poor to begin the year, I'm confident that will improve down the line. However, I still believe that shooting so many threes is not a long-term winning formula even when our team's talent matches JC's style. JC's teams have historically not gone to the line enough, and that just does not lead to consistent success. Will we win more games? Without a doubt, especially in the A10 where shooting from three is terrible for the most part. But I just think our ceiling in the future is capped unless we mix in the threes with a more consistent game in the post (and I'm not talking about a big cleaning up missed shots like AT has). JC himself has said he is learning to play through the post more which is encouraging, and I hope we also mix in some transition buckets and opportunities close to the rim in the future. Christian also downplayed the moving back of the three point line in the preseason, but I think it will show that it has a bigger impact on shooting percentages than he said it would.

GWRising wrote:

I believe our X's and O's are light years ahead of the past 3 years. We defend much better overall. We run some really good stuff. We ran a last second play versus Morgan State that got us a wide open 3 by Walker. It didn't go in but the play was outstanding. I am not in the least bit worried about our coaching. I am much more concerned about our talent level. Put another way, I'm not sure except perhaps for Toro we have a player who would start for any other A-10 team at the moment. Maybe in a year or so that changes. But unless they let us go play in the MAAC or America East, we are going to be playing with a talent deficit this year virtually every game in the A-10.

This is what I just haven't seen so far, although it's early. Could be personnel, but where is the Mayhem? Even if we can't play that way this year, we need to develop some identity on this end. This is not strictly a talent issue. At least so far, Mojo's team last year showed a better effort on defense, and most of the players have remained the same. Sure, we run guys off the three point line (unlike last year), but that seems to have backfired in the early going, and we generated more steals per game last season.

Again, it would be stupid to panic this early in the JC era and season, but some things are worth being objective. Looking forward to seeing the team grow. I do love the positivity he and his staff radiate!

11/19/2019 12:10 am  #31

On talent level I largely agree with GW Rising.

Toro is a strong a10 player and one of the best rebounders in the nation, and his absence is the main reason we lost to Morgan state.

Nelson would start for a lot of a10 teams right now.  He just needs time to get better.  He looks to me like a future all league player. 

Jack as a starter is a real indictment of our talent.  Think about hood college or catholic last year.  They had bigs who competed and got a few boards/blocks but were basically overmatched.  If Javi played for Hood, he would not be one of their top 2 or 3 options. So forget about the a10 - he wouldn’t start for AU or morgant state.  When or if Harris and Paar get healthy, I wonder how much we will see of javi down the stretch. 

Battle looks like a good player to me.  Well done by mojo to land him.  I don’t think he’d be starting for most a10 teams, but within a year or two I think he’d be starting for most.  His game reminds me a lot of Sean McDermott from Butler (their floor stretching wing).  Battle might actually be better than McDermott by the time he’s a junior. 

Mezzie is still an enigma.

Same with Mazzula.  There’s nothing he does badly but also not great at anything in particular.  I don’t know if he’s good enough to be a glue guy on a top 150 team, but his skills probably would have helped us beat Morgan state if he played more. 

Maceo, like Potter, is a completely different player on offense or defense.  Maceo needs to keep working on his all around game, including defense and off ball movement,  to become the kind of player who can start for a good a10 team.  Potter is what he is at this point - a guy who can score a lot for a Charleston southern type team. 

Walker I have no idea yet. 

Apologies to whoever I forgot.

11/19/2019 1:56 am  #32

When you fire 2 different Head Coaches in 3 years time, it tends to lead to a lot of turnover, a very young/new team and a rebuild.  Our leading scorer DJ Williams left, our best defensive talent TNJr left, some more  of ML's 5 man would be senior class would also be here, most likely, if not the Coaching changes.

JC is going to need some time to recruit and turn this around, he'll get it done based on his track record of success.

If can you win big at Mount St Marys you can win at GW. Takes time to recruit and rebuild.

11/19/2019 9:36 am  #33

There really appears to be just one point that is in dispute.  I'd say we are all in agreement that this program is in need of upgraded talent.  If we are comparing GW to almost all other A10 teams, we don't have enough talent to realistically compete for say a top 4 double bye.  Likely not even the upper half of the conference.  We all agree that JC needs time to turn things around.  I'm not sure anyone is disputing any of this.

The debate that has sparked had to do with an assessment of GW's talent right now compared to that of AU and MSU.  And to suggest that home losses to these schools either don't matter or should not be cared about.  It is very possible to have low expectations for this year's team while also feeling upset that GW lost both of these games.  This is how I feel and how I believe several others are feeling too.   

11/19/2019 9:41 am  #34

dmvpiranha - Our half court defense has actually been decent. If you take away the transition buckets yielded from turnovers (we are making a lot of turnovers guard to guard which leads to transition buckets), you would see even better numbers on 2pt FG defense and points allowed. Last season our opponents shot 44.1% (2 PT) and 35.6% (3PT) against us. This year so far it is 41.9% and 31.5%. Steals are down about 1 per game  but blocks are significantly about 2 per game. We are giving up about 4 less points per game.Granted it's a small sample size and we have better teams to play on the horizon. But at this point, it is all we have to go on. So that is a positive. To me, it's going to be all about can we make shots because we are averaging about 9 more 3 pt attempts per game.

11/19/2019 11:24 am  #35

GWRising, we can not possibly be watching the same team if you feel our half court defense has been decent. 

Towson         Points in the paint: 36       Fast break points       7
Howard         Points in the paint: 30       Fast break points       5 
AU                Points in the paint: 32       Fast break points       7
MSU             Points in the paint: 40       Fast break points      14

None of these teams had a dominant center who we could not contain in the paint.  The fast break points as a percentage of points in the paint is not particularly high.

What's been happening is that: a) our guards and wings can not effectively defend against opponents penetrating into the lane; and b) we do not have a rim protector either in AT or Javy who is making anyone think twice about taking the ball inside.

And as you suggest, Towson/Howard/AU/MSU is not exactly a murderers row.

11/19/2019 11:35 am  #36

Just went back and looked at JC's teams' defensive performance.  They were consistently in the worst 50 in opponents' 2-point shooting percentage and, all but two years ranked around 300 for opponents' 3-point percentage (i.e., very good).

Apparently giving up points in the paint is a feature, not a bug.

11/19/2019 1:04 pm  #37

I'll repeat our half court defense has been decent. Didn't say good/great but decent enough to be 4-0 or 3-1. The Morgan State points in the paint is misleading because Toro missed most of the game and we went small. You are correct that we don't have a great defensive post presence in the middle (even with Toro) which has led to opponents scoring in the paint. However, our record is largely a reflection of poor shooting and turnovers not our half court defense. For example, just among the A-10 teams we rank dead last in 3FG%. Plus we are taking 9 more a game. So bad percentage on more shots. As for our defensive structure I think we are closing out hard leading to teams having to either choose contested 3s or drive to the hole. It may be a question of choosing your poison, but I would trade 2's for 3's most everyday, the way the game is played now. 

11/19/2019 1:30 pm  #38

To be fair, when you've lost to who we've lost to, I'm really OK pointing the finger at the offense, defense, special teams, and coaching.  These things needn't be mutually exclusive.  We'll agree to disagree regarding our 2 point FG defense.  I truly feel it's been dreadful.  Opponents seem to be driving to the basket against us without a care in the world.  We have done a nice defensive job against the three though it's not like we've seen a solid three point shooting team yet.

11/19/2019 2:51 pm  #39

Well the one thing that is telling so far, although again not a large sample size, is that we have held 3 of 4 teams below their season averages from 3FG.

But I think you missing something here. In the two games were we allowed opponents to shoot better than 40% on 2FG, we made a ton of turnovers. Against both Towson and AU we gave up 17 and 18 points off turnovers. I believe that was the reason we gave up higher percentages because  many of those turnovers led to easy points. Again, our half court defense at least so far is not a a primary issue. We have lost the last 2 games solely because we cannot score given the number of possessions and the shooting percentages.  

What I think is that because we are having difficulty scoring it magnifies our half court defense lapses when they occur. But statistically they are not occurring as often as you would like to suggest.

11/19/2019 4:08 pm  #40

Thanks for the info BM. 
"win big at MSM"? Look again at his results at MSM. He never beat any top 20 or even top 30 schools. Winning the low ranked NEC torney and getting into the NCAA play-in game isn't winning big.
I believe JC will turn out to be a good coach but I'm also not going to give him a 3 year pass like we did with the previous coach if he turns out to be a dud at this level.

Board footera