GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2020 9:54 am  #81

Re: GW vs Richmond Game Thread

Missed watching the game, which probably turned out to be a good thing. I always seem to miss watching when we play Richmond for some reason. Looks like the Spiders are just a bad matchup for us. It seems like we probably took a few too many threes early on and settled which isn't good when they aren't going in. Not surprised by the result and Richmond is a good team, so on to the next.

Glad Mezie got some time but Adam should probably have come in earlier. Jamison only took 5 shots? Good D by Richmond. Figured JNJ would have a tough game against Gilyard. Nice to see Amir back in double figures (and 10 rebounds!). Wasn't surprised Golden had a field day against Chase, but it was good experience for the freshman. The biggest win for us is that our main guys played fewer minutes (given his shot wasn't falling and playing 57 minutes on Wednesday, maybe Maceo could have played fewer minutes).

Hope the team can get back on track against Bonaventure. We are entering a tougher stretch of games coming up - we are back home to play a hot URI team afterwards followed by Mason and Duquesne on the road so how we fare in these next four games (not going to judge the URI game as much) will determine where we are relative to the rest of the teams in conference.

Does anyone know where to watch the postgame conferences? They used to stream them on their facebook page when ML was coach, but now the school seems to hide showing it to the public. Guess I will have to settle for postgame quotes in GW hatchet articles.

2/02/2020 10:41 am  #82

The small take away i n the last few minutes was to catch a few minutes of players who need some minutes. Walker had a few nice moments as did Mezie. Adam hit a 3. Ace just doesn't have many tools in the paint, does he? Miss Javi. Got to give the team credit at the end finding a few good possessions to produce some value  to the time,  After the Davidson game, the team looked both physically and mentally drained. The coaching staff has got to glue this project back together fast considering the lack of Potter.

2/02/2020 12:45 pm  #83

Not quite sure why  GW vs. Richmond seems to allow one low post player to dominate against us. Kline did it. Now, Golden seems to score at will. Richmond defended well against Battle and Jack. Would a box and one on Golden or simply double teaming him have been less effective than what we did? Also, when you looked at this line up without Potter, we essentially saw next years team without a true point guard. Amir Harris is very athletic, a good defender and rebounder, but his instincts as a point guard are lacking. When GW offered a transfer big from Mississippi ,I thought this was a mistake. Our incoming guard from Baltimore is a great shooter, a decent ball handler but not the point guard GW needs to compete in the A-10. Perhaps, the video I looked at about him did not tell the whole story. I believe GW needs one more scholarship player for next year.

2/02/2020 1:01 pm  #84

This game was about turnovers. GWU 18, Richmond 4. They outscored us on TOs 22-4. Many of the TOs were unforced, resulting in easy scores for Richmond.  So, not only did Richmond get some scores, but we missed 14 opportunities to even get a shot off. Over dribbling in traffic, and bad passing angles (or just bad passes) were the major culprits.

A lot of the posts ring true. Richmond - great low post offense; GW - mediocre low post offense (defense may have had something to do with it). Otherwise, Richmond played a pretty ordinary game. We gave ourselves a chance to win against Davidson because of minimal turnovers, but they didn't press our ball handlers as much as Richmond. When our guards try to speed up their game, they seem to get in trouble. Hopefully, more experience will help.

I was glad to at least get a glimpse of some of the bench players. What stood out to me was Shawn Walker, who on two occasions was able to control his speed on inside moves, fake, and then go up for two easy scores. Need more of that from the other players, who often go up with such force, that they can't control the outcome of their moves. There's still a lot to be optimistic about.

Last edited by xAC (2/02/2020 4:57 pm)

2/02/2020 4:29 pm  #85

BC wrote:

There's also the game notes (PREVIEW) and History on the official site under schedule for each game.
https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Thanks to you and Sons of Liberty! We're 2-9 against Richmond in our last 11 matchups. Yikes.

2/02/2020 7:46 pm  #86

Complete loss of composure.   Played Richmond even for the first 8 minutes or so, but when the pressure picked up, we were not able to deal with it.   Once that happens, the turnovers start along with the ill advised, low percentage shots and the "hero ball".  Its going to happen on a very young team with n real upper class leadershp other than Potter, and he was on the bench.   Of course the talent differential came into play, as did probably the tired legs, but it was loss of composure that turned a competitive came into a rout.  

2/03/2020 12:50 pm  #87

Despite the 2-9 tailspin against Richmond, GW still holds a 63-40 alltime record against the Spiders.  The Jarvis/Penders/Hobbs teams absolutely dominated the Spiders.  I can't find the exact numbers but GW may have won in the vicinity of 20 out of 25 meetings during one stretch.  The good Hobbs teams won 6 in a row against them.

That all notwithstanding, what happened on Saturday was so predictable that it hardly warrants any basketball analysis.  The team was shorthanded (without Armel), lacked energy all night, and faced a good team on a two game losing streak to Dayton and VCU.  Even during the games early moments (when the score was competitive), GW had two turnovers in the first two minutes, I believe before getting off a shot attempt.  The defense was a step (or several) slow all night.  There wasn't a single attempt to take away the baseline from Golden all night.  You might think after watching the same thing happen say 5-6 times in a row, you might make an adjustment to try to take it way on the 6th-7th time?

Anyway, nothing to truly get worked up about.  Given the Davidson game, it was the perfect spot to "not show up".  The next one against St. Bonaventure is an interesting test...a better team on the road, but a team who you have already played competitively against.  Anxious to see whether the coaching staff unveils a remedy for the Lofton-Osun pick and roll.

Board footera