GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/29/2020 5:56 pm  #21

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

Would have been decent to play our walkons a few seconds when down by 25 with one minute left, rather than just putting Adam in with 30 seconds.  And Adam makes a beyond half court shot. 
Glad JC hugs Rhoades and has a big chat after the humiliation.

2/29/2020 6:03 pm  #22

jf wrote:

We're down 23 with 4 minutes to go. VCU coach Rhoades starts slamming the table and egging on the fans to make noise.
What a bush league move. 
Hope we or basketball karma bits him in the ass that he is.

I didn't think VCU could find a bigger asshat than Will Wade and yet here we are.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/29/2020 6:07 pm)

2/29/2020 6:11 pm  #23

Every time we play at VCU really highlights the chasm between GW and the top schools in this league: on-court talent, recruiting, facilities, fan support, everything. But at this point, it's almost like JC is trying to run certain guys off the team, right? You're getting absolutely whooped on the road but still somehow can't find minutes for your bench? I know it's not a great or deep team, but there's just no way the gap in talent between the starters and the reserves can be that extreme IMO.

2/29/2020 6:16 pm  #24

It's crazy that our biggest win against VCU was a Mojo coached team in 2018.  Paraphrasing Pedro Martinez, VCU has been our daddy ever since they joined the A-10.

2/29/2020 6:19 pm  #25

Mezie sat entirely, which is odd unless he's injured.
And it would have been decent to put all the walkons in---in a blowout. To at least taste the court for a minute.
Just befuddling not to give Adam a couple of possessions to shoot say with less than 2 seconds left (even playing offense/defense) when we are jocking up 3s. Also could give Armel or someone a very brief rest.

2/29/2020 6:24 pm  #26

jf wrote:

Would have been decent to play our walkons a few seconds when down by 25 with one minute left, rather than just putting Adam in with 30 seconds.  And Adam makes a beyond half court shot. 
Glad JC hugs Rhoades and has a big chat after the humiliation.

While this was happening, the announcers said that Rhoades recruited JC when JC was in high school, they didn't mention the school though. I believe the announcers also said that Rhoades and JC coached together at VCU. Was anyone aware that Rhoades and JC had a long history with each other? 

2/29/2020 6:36 pm  #27

Announcers said JC was recruited by Rhodes when he was HC at Randolph-Macon College.

2/29/2020 6:37 pm  #28

Yes, heard it.
Doesn't that make it worse? Don't really recall ever seeing that--a coach rallying fans-- in a game that was already a blowout. What would be the point, other than to strut and show off victory against an
injury depleted team?

2/29/2020 6:58 pm  #29

Yeah, that rallying the fans thing and then jumping up and down line he won the A10 tourney when they got a stop up 23 with 4 minutes or so left was kind of crazy and uncool.  I guess that was 3 weeks of frustration from the coach letting out.  He’s blown his shot at the NCAAs with crappy coaching and VCU fans are probably starting to wonder if he can keep up what Shaka built, so I’m sure he wanted to win big more than anything.   Fortunately he was playing the right team at the right time.

2/29/2020 7:16 pm  #30

Agreed that was pretty classless lol

I'd say Anthony Grant actually.  He took VCU to the NCAAs, and he recruited the team that made a Final 4 Run.  And Grant was building on work done before him.  

Look at the Job Anthony Grant has done at Dayton vs what Shaka has done at Texas e.g.

On to the next one!

2/29/2020 7:19 pm  #31

Anthony Grant beat Duke in the NCAA Tourney, and Grant recruited NBA 1st round picks  Eric Maynor, Larry Sanders to VCU,  and then the whole Final 4 squad, were his recruits as well and now Obi Toppin to Dayton.

Last edited by The Dude (2/29/2020 7:21 pm)

2/29/2020 7:34 pm  #32

Really was hoping we weren’t playing on the first day of the  A10 tournament. Maybe few care. Maybe it’s of zero interest to the players, but I sure as hell wanted it.

However forget my bench mark as long as JC gets what he wants out of this year

2/29/2020 8:19 pm  #33

FredD wrote:

Really was hoping we weren’t playing on the first day of the  A10 tournament. Maybe few care. Maybe it’s of zero interest to the players, but I sure as hell wanted it.

However forget my bench mark as long as JC gets what he wants out of this year

We are still very much in the hunt for not only avoiding Wednesday, but for getting the 9 seed.  Obviously we aren’t going to win at Dayton to deny them the first undefeated A10 season since GW did it, but we can beat Fordham at home.

REMAINING GAMES:
GW (6-10) Fordham, @Dayton.
UMASS (7-9):  @Lasalle, URI
LaSalle (5-11): UMASS, @St Joe
George Mason 4-10: @duquesne, St Louis, @Fordham

Scenarios if we beat Fordham and lose to Dayton (and George Mason loses once more).:

If Umass beats LaSalle Wednesday, we clinch a first round bye and would be the 10 seed because we would be 7-11 and neither LaSalle nor mason could pass us.

If LaSalle beats UMASS, then:
- if Umass upsets uri and LaSalle wins at St Joe, we would end tied at 7 wins with LaSalle and they have the tie break so we would play the play in game Wednesday.
- if Umass upsets URI and LaSalle loses at St Joe, we would be the 10 seed, one game ahead of LaSalle.
- if Umass loses to URI and LaSalle loses to St Joe, we would be the 9 seed because us and Umass would end with 9 wins and we have the tie break over them.
- if Umass loses to uri and LaSalle wins at St Joe, we would all finish 7-11, and we would get the 10 seed.  The tie break would he h2h between the three teams.  LaSalle would win it at 2-1 (split with Umass, beat us) so they would be the 9.  Then we would the 10 because we own the tie break by winning at Umass.

BUT if we lose to Fordham, then we are trouble and would probably need LaSalle to lose out or LaSalle to win one game AND have George Mason win 2 of three (unlikely) because George Mason finishing in a tie with us really helps since we swept them.

So basically if we beat Fordham, the only way we play in the play in game is if LaSalle beats both Umass and st Joe, Umass loses to LaSalle but beats uri, and George Mason doesn’t win out.   That’s a lot that would have to go wrong for us to be in the play in... but if we lose to Fordham, we are probably screwed

2/29/2020 9:08 pm  #34

Wasn't expecting a win, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by the effort today, especially during the second half (pretty much a common theme in all VCU games we play). The second half fatigue and turnovers were more or less expected, but still a bit disappointing. I was hoping them having four guys out would at least have let us keep it competitive.

We did a good job breaking their press in the backcourt, but our biggest issue was not attacking the basket once we did. The times we have beaten VCU it is because guys like Pato or Terry have been aggressive. Maceo was the only one who seemed to get this (Jamison had a nice move once getting to the hoop, and a backdoor cut to him once out of a timeout was one of the few times it felt like we were running a play), but when he did drive it was when we had already reset in the halfcourt. Speaking of which, nearly every time we got the ball past halfcourt we would reset at the top of the key which is a losing strategy against VCU, especially when the threes aren't falling (we were settling for shots instead of finding good ones). We effectively worked hard to break their press, and then rewarded them by letting them get back into position defensively. What we were absolutely TERRIBLE at today was handling the trap which accounted for a good number of our turnovers. I said it in previous games, but running the shot clock down and making Armel make something out of nothing is not working. I was actually getting bad flashbacks of the Jair days where Armel was dribbling into a corner and then effectively had to work twice as hard to even get the ball away to another GW player. Again, I don't think it would kill us to pass the ball a lot more earlier in the shot clock and maybe find a quality shot earlier on before the clock expires. We by no means should have played at VCU's speed, but at times our pace is too cavalier and lacks any sense of purpose or ambition.

The fact Armel played 40 minutes (39.5 is basically 40 in my book) was inexcusable. It was clear in the first half alone that he didn't have it today. I know Amir and Shawn are sidelined with injuries I assume (the lack of reporting makes it a speculation), but this is the kind of game where when the team is down by 20+ (really 15+) you can still consider it a "win" if you give the guys off the bench more time and rest the starters for once. I didn't see our bench too closely (the lighting was somewhat dim) but does anyone know if Mezie was dressed for the game? Losing by 20 vs. 30 doesn't mean too much, at least to me (especially this year). Armel has played 40 minutes four games in a row. Poor guy. His usage is so high he hardly gets any possessions off (there might have been 5 plays at most where he even played off the ball).

JNJ seemed to disappear completely in the second half. He had that nice steal and dunk earlier on, but we had even him settle for threes which isn't a strength of his game right now. The one time we had him cut to the hoop was a good move, although he didn't end up making the shot. His body language didn't seem too positive in the second half, and we honestly could have had him more involved in the second half. I don't care if he turns the ball over - Armel on an empty tank was anyways. Let him play the point some (also good for the future) and give Armel a few minutes to catch his breath.

Nice to see Javier make a return today. I honestly thought he was out for the year, but again we never hear anything about injuries. His pass to Chase underneath late in the game for a layup was one of the few highlights in the game. Javier's return seemed to mean Ace is now no longer going to see meaningful action (I think he was a healthy scratch?), but it's really impossible to predict rotations this year. No player has started every game this year, and we've had 10+ different starting lineups.

Rhoades slamming the table late in the game honestly showed a lack of maturity, but the VCU fanbase was surprisingly dead even up by 20. Guess they aren't happy unless they are in the NCAA conversations, but I have to see the number of consecutive sellouts they have had is impressive and a credit to their fanbase.

Equally as classless was their walk-on (who had already made a basket a play earlier) take a shot in the final 30 seconds of the game with the team already up by 25. There might have been a few tenths of a second different between the game and shot clock, but the right thing to do in that situation is run the clock out and take a violation. Even if you don't do that, if your goal is to take a shot do it earlier on. He chose somehow the least classy move and waited until there were two seconds left to drive to the basket when most of our team had already stopped playing. Glad Adam made that halfcourt three in response right afterwards despite their attempt to not give us another shot at the end. Wish he had played more.

The number of missed layups was tough to see but it all goes back to fatigue. AT and Chase did do a good job on the boards though. I think this is our third straight game shooting 50% from the line. Our two 90% shooters, Jamison and Maceo, combined to go 2-7. It almost felt like there was a lid on the hoop at times. Defensively, I could live with daring them to shoot threes, although we lost Hyland, a 42% shooter, inexcusably open a few times, and go figure that Simms makes 4 threes and 5 of 8 shots against us after 12 of the past 13 games where he shot under 35% from the field. After halftime though we were just too slow staying with their guys and let them get deep into the lane far too easily (again fatigue), turning the game into a dunk contest. It will be nice (and refreshing) to have more depth next year. Not going to speculate with the season going on still, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few guys don't return next year. It was very clear that there was a talent disparity between our bench vs. theirs.

I just hope that in the future we are able to beat VCU more than just once every three years. At least we scored after halftime a lot earlier than we did last year.

Up next is senior night against Fordham. For team morale and especially our seniors, I hope we get back in the win column, although Fordham's defense is legit so it won't be easy. Hopefully the game isn't too close and we can actually allow Armel to exit to applause before the game ends for all he's given us this year. Armel, AT, and Juice (as well as walk-ons Adam and Luke) have definitely been through a lot and will hopefully get to go out with a win in the final home game!

2/29/2020 9:15 pm  #35

jf wrote:

LSF deserves GW Fan MVP award for traveling to endure this game.

This was a game I thought twice about going to, as watching us play in Richmond is generally not that much fun.  I decided to go because VCU appeared to be in a crash and burn mode and I thought we would be competitive, if not win outright.  Further, I like the experience of going to games away from the Smitty, and watching a game at the Siegel Center (which announced its 150th straight sell out for todays game) is certainly an experience.  Further, I live in Fredericksburg, so the drive time to the game is about the same, if not a little quicker, than going to the Smith Center.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/29/2020 9:16 pm)

2/29/2020 9:17 pm  #36

jf wrote:

We're down 23 with 4 minutes to go. VCU coach Rhoades starts slamming the table and egging on the fans to make noise.
What a bush league move. 
Hope we or basketball karma bits him in the ass that he is.

I thought the exact same thing when it happened.   Kind of a curious move.  Completely lacking in sportsmanship.

2/29/2020 9:37 pm  #37

As for the game itself, once again the talent gap was quite apparent.  I sat in the front row, right behind our bench.   Although I couldn't hear what was being said, it was clear that Christian is quite frustrated with the team, and he was realling lighting into them, individually and collectively.   Battle in particular seemed to be a target of the coach's frustration, and to a lesser extent Nelson.  Battle presents a real dilemma.    He has a sweet 3 point shot, but is only shooting a solid (but not spectacular) .37.9% from the 3, and his overall shooting is only 40.8%, gives us an okay 5.1 rebounds a game but averages less than one assist per game, with a negative assist to turnover ratio.  If that was it, I could live with that for his freshman season; however his defense is just awful.   He really needs to pick up the defensive skills over the off season for him to warrant the minutes he is getting this season.  Likewise Nelson, who is a human highlight reel but likewise doesn't seem to be able to guard anyone.   Potter now has 19 turnovers over his last 2 games, most of which were of the ill advised pass variety (with Chase his primary missed target).   We are improved from last year...our record and the visuals indicate that, be we have a very long way to go if we are going to be competitive with the top of the league.  We need to be faster, stronger and more skilled...a tall order.  

2/29/2020 10:00 pm  #38

Still waiting for an answer on my Penny Elliott reference.

2/29/2020 10:07 pm  #39

GW0509 wrote:

It's crazy that our biggest win against VCU was a Mojo coached team in 2018.  Paraphrasing Pedro Martinez, VCU has been our daddy ever since they joined the A-10.

One of the nicest road wins I had ever attended was the game in which we beat VCU in Richmond, when Pato went off for about 30 or so.  Games like that are the bait which lures me back to Richmond against my better judgment. 

2/29/2020 10:20 pm  #40

dmvpiranha wrote:

but does anyone know if Mezie was dressed for the game? 

Mezie was dressed.  So was Ace.  Neither played.

Board footera