GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2021 6:57 pm  #41

Re: Matthew Moyer

GWrising

That is 100% the choice.  Just because "we" started playing doesn't mean "we" need to continue playing.  We can stop.  The reason "we" are playing is so a bunch of already rich dudes can profit off the backs of a bunch of kids risking themselves to play through a pandemic because they've been taught their whole lives "team first."  To pretend like there is no choice but to keep playing is silly.

As to the scholarship question and value judgment, I recognize fully that things outside of my world are different than my world.  I am an attorney, and while my general life of practicing can go on, I haven't been able to network the way I'd like, to present the way I'd like, to develop business the way I'd like, and the list goes on and on.  And yet, I'm all for shutting down all of the things that make my job more difficult.  We're asking these kids, trained on "team first" and "coaches second" and "me last," to make a decision contrary to everything they've ever been taught (at least with regard to their sports).

If the players were getting paid, maybe I'd agree with you.  Giving them a choice between putting food on the table and a roof over their heads might be a choice worth making.  Best I can tell, these kids are not getting money.  Food is coming out of their own pockets AND they can't get a paying job (or money for endorsements) because NCAA won't let them.  

If the NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL want to play--and their players want to get paid--I say go for it.  These are grown men, getting a paycheck to play a sport mostly with guaranteed paychecks on the line and a union representing them.  Who's representing the NCAA players in their "choice?"

2/09/2021 7:34 pm  #42

I know this is completely off point-but before this thread ends I need to share with all of you the
amazing and heroic acts that I observed from ICU nurses during my brief time volunteering.
These people are among the finest -hardest working and the most courageous people(mostly women)
I have ever met.It was an honor to be in their presence.

2/09/2021 7:34 pm  #43

GWRising wrote:

22nd and F - Sorry to hear about your friend's mom. The loss of life from any cause is awful so my prayers and condolences to you and your friend.

I hear your opinion and I know many share it about not playing. But I think there is one misconception leaving alone the conclusory statements as to how we got here which we will have to agree to disagree on.

That misconception is that players are pawns. No player was threatened with loss of a $75,000+ annual scholarship if they chose to opt-out this season (as some have). You say the University gets the money. What money? In 2020-21 GW will lose money as it has suffered from decreased donations and has no ticket revenue. Absent a trip to the NCAAs there is no money. So, approximately 285 schools will have no revenue this year and will in fact lose money.

To me, the better question now given where we are in this pandemic is if you are going to have these players play why has the NCAA not insisted on immediate early vaccination? That seems to be the fair thing. We are asking these players to expose themselves to some level of risk - the least we can do is vaccinate them early. If you assume 25-30 vaccines per team (players, coaches, trainers, administrators) you are talking about under 22,000 vaccines for all of D1 men's and women's basketball. That would hardly affect the national vaccination program. In essence, you treat the players and others as essential personnel. I would argue we should do this for the NBA and NHL as well and as we get to the Spring, MLB. These people are exposing themselves to risk largely for our entertainment. We need to do better in protecting them if we are going to play.

GWRising, do you really think we should take vaccines prioritized for the elderly, health care professionals, teachers, front line workers and other vulnerable folks and give them to college basketball players and coaches?  Even with some of the things you've written here questioning science, and true cause and effect, I can't believe you really believe that siphoning-off vaccines from them to give to college basketball players and coaches is justified.  If I'm wrong, and that's actually something you're comfortable promoting, I can only hope and pray that there are very few people who would agree with you.

Last edited by 22ndandF (2/09/2021 7:35 pm)

2/09/2021 7:44 pm  #44

GW69 wrote:

I know this is completely off point-but before this thread ends I need to share with all of you the
amazing and heroic acts that I observed from ICU nurses during my brief time volunteering.
These people are among the finest -hardest working and the most courageous people(mostly women)
I have ever met.It was an honor to be in their presence.

GW69, I don't feel this is off point at all, as GWRising is suggesting we take vaccines from them or other vulnerable people and re-prioritize them to college basketball players and coaches.  I know several ICU nurses and doctors and they are perhaps some of the most heroic people I have ever met. They often have to work the most pressure packed 8 and 12 hours shifts, many of the nurses work for not very much money. There can be no screw-ups or someone could die.  The callous behavior of so many people who won't wear masks and follow CDC guidance and or spread lies and refuse to protect those around them has lead to a spiral of  COVID-19 spread orders of magnitude worse than anywhere else on the globe.  As a result, it has wreaked havoc on health care professionals all throughout the chain of care, including ICU nurses and doctors.  I am glad you brought it up.  I menioned earlier that my friend's mom who just died from COVID-19 was a nurse. She wasn't an ICU nurse, but she was a hero to her family and in many ways, to me.  

Last edited by 22ndandF (2/09/2021 7:51 pm)

2/09/2021 7:53 pm  #45

danjsport wrote:

GWrising

That is 100% the choice.  Just because "we" started playing doesn't mean "we" need to continue playing.  We can stop.  The reason "we" are playing is so a bunch of already rich dudes can profit off the backs of a bunch of kids risking themselves to play through a pandemic because they've been taught their whole lives "team first."  To pretend like there is no choice but to keep playing is silly.

As to the scholarship question and value judgment, I recognize fully that things outside of my world are different than my world.  I am an attorney, and while my general life of practicing can go on, I haven't been able to network the way I'd like, to present the way I'd like, to develop business the way I'd like, and the list goes on and on.  And yet, I'm all for shutting down all of the things that make my job more difficult.  We're asking these kids, trained on "team first" and "coaches second" and "me last," to make a decision contrary to everything they've ever been taught (at least with regard to their sports).

If the players were getting paid, maybe I'd agree with you.  Giving them a choice between putting food on the table and a roof over their heads might be a choice worth making.  Best I can tell, these kids are not getting money.  Food is coming out of their own pockets AND they can't get a paying job (or money for endorsements) because NCAA won't let them.  

If the NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL want to play--and their players want to get paid--I say go for it.  These are grown men, getting a paycheck to play a sport mostly with guaranteed paychecks on the line and a union representing them.  Who's representing the NCAA players in their "choice?"

Who are the rich dudes profiting this season? Please identify them. The refs? The production assistants at ESPN? The beat sportswriters? The radio guys? The assistant coaches most of them making far less than $100,000/year.

Do no kids profit from playing and gaining exposure this season? Pro careers anyone? Will there be a NBA Draft later this year? Do they benefit from playing and improving so in future years they can have a shot a pro career?

Kind of tough to say they are being exploited when at GW they receive benefits worth > $80,000 per year that those who can't bounce a basketball don't receive. And yes, they are fully fed and housed. In case you weren't aware, the average median household income is approximately $68,000. Harder still to make that argument when they could have opted-out and retain said $80,000 in benefits.

I didn't ask you whether we should limit your job or make it more difficult, I asked you whether you would accept no income. Entirely different question. 

Because in essence, you are asking others to receive no income to satisfy your personal value judgments about whether we should be playing or not. I say let people make their own free judgments about playing once apprised of all the risks and benefits. 

Perhaps most hilarious is your notion that all these kids are "team first". As you have seen firsthand, neither Jameer or Maceo decided to be 'team first" guys in deciding what was best for them this year when playing time was diminished. Do you really believe that Maceo would leave because he was playing 21 mpg but would not leave because he feared COVID but was afraid to say so? This generation is anything but team first guys which is why you continue to see record number of transfers. So, if most anyone thought it was not in their best interests to play, you can bet they would not have played. 

Finally, you should save that energy about exploitation for those who work in your local grocery store or work in the plants so that we all can eat - often without adequate PPE, often much older than 18-22 years old and often paid less than 50% of the value of a GW annual scholarship. Those are really the folks with no choice.

2/09/2021 8:15 pm  #46

22ndandF wrote:

GWRising wrote:

22nd and F - Sorry to hear about your friend's mom. The loss of life from any cause is awful so my prayers and condolences to you and your friend.

I hear your opinion and I know many share it about not playing. But I think there is one misconception leaving alone the conclusory statements as to how we got here which we will have to agree to disagree on.

That misconception is that players are pawns. No player was threatened with loss of a $75,000+ annual scholarship if they chose to opt-out this season (as some have). You say the University gets the money. What money? In 2020-21 GW will lose money as it has suffered from decreased donations and has no ticket revenue. Absent a trip to the NCAAs there is no money. So, approximately 285 schools will have no revenue this year and will in fact lose money.

To me, the better question now given where we are in this pandemic is if you are going to have these players play why has the NCAA not insisted on immediate early vaccination? That seems to be the fair thing. We are asking these players to expose themselves to some level of risk - the least we can do is vaccinate them early. If you assume 25-30 vaccines per team (players, coaches, trainers, administrators) you are talking about under 22,000 vaccines for all of D1 men's and women's basketball. That would hardly affect the national vaccination program. In essence, you treat the players and others as essential personnel. I would argue we should do this for the NBA and NHL as well and as we get to the Spring, MLB. These people are exposing themselves to risk largely for our entertainment. We need to do better in protecting them if we are going to play.

GWRising, do you really think we should take vaccines prioritized for the elderly, health care professionals, teachers, front line workers and other vulnerable folks and give them to college basketball players and coaches?  Even with some of the things you've written here questioning science, and true cause and effect, I can't believe you really believe that siphoning-off vaccines from them to give to college basketball players and coaches is justified.  If I'm wrong, and that's actually something you're comfortable promoting, I can only hope and pray that there are very few people who would agree with you.

Please 22andF let's try to not be overly dramatic. Let me put it this way, do you know how many doses of vaccine are wasted in this country due to spoilage (hint: it's more than I am proposing)? Do you know how many vulnerable people refuse to get the vaccine (hint: it's more than I am proposing)? Do you know how many people are jumping the line without regard for the vulnerable (hint: it's more than I am proposing)? How about prisoners at Guantanamo Bay ... should they get it before Matt Moyer and all the vulnerable older people? And with all of that you are worried about 22,000 total vaccines nationally (about 1 percent of Administration's daily plan) some of whom will go to those who are in high risk groups such as older coaches? Maybe it's me but I'm in favor of getting as many shots in arms as quickly as possible. You want to stop this thing and all it's terrible effects - that's the way it will be done. We can stand on ceremony and make differing value judgments about who is essential, who should really get it first after health care workers and first responders (which by the way there is some scientific/medical ethics disagreement over), etc. The clock isn't going to stop ticking for anyone vulnerable  - old or young.

Last edited by GWRising (2/09/2021 8:18 pm)

2/09/2021 8:16 pm  #47

Wow? Are we really arguing over if college basketball players are "essential" to American society? Either American society is really fucked up or the Internet has really become the domain of inane.
Wear a mask, stay at home, wash your hands, keep your distance. The only way a virus can spread is through interpersonal contact. This is a GW message board, and I´d expect people at GW to engage in a discourse more intelligent and erudite than what this thread has devolved in to; have we been hijacked by folks from Memphis?

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (2/09/2021 8:17 pm)

2/09/2021 8:21 pm  #48

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Wow? Are we really arguing over if college basketball players are "essential" to American society? Either American society is really fucked up or the Internet has really become the domain of inane.
Wear a mask, stay at home, wash your hands, keep your distance. The only way a virus can spread is through interpersonal contact. This is a GW message board, and I´d expect people at GW to engage in a discourse more intelligent and erudite than what this thread has devolved in to; have we been hijacked by folks from Memphis?

Try to follow along GWAA. I am not making the case that college basketball players are essential. I am making the case that if you are going to ask them them to play, you have a duty to vaccinate them quickly and that they are no less essential once you ask them to be in harm's way.

2/09/2021 8:32 pm  #49

BrianPaul wrote:

(Archived and removed by BGF for its insensivity and attacking nature, and subject to action by adminstrators).

Usually I ignore Brian's nonsense but read my response to GWAA above.

Last edited by BGF (2/10/2021 1:13 pm)

2/09/2021 8:40 pm  #50

GWRising wrote:

22ndandF wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Please 22andF let's try to not be overly dramatic. Let me put it this way, do you know how many doses of vaccine are wasted in this country due to spoilage (hint: it's more than I am proposing)? Do you know how many vulnerable people refuse to get the vaccine (hint: it's more than I am proposing)? Do you know how many people are jumping the line without regard for the vulnerable (hint: it's more than I am proposing)? How about prisoners at Guantanamo Bay ... should they get it before Matt Moyer and all the vulnerable older people? And with all of that you are worried about 22,000 total vaccines nationally (about 1 percent of Administration's daily plan) some of whom will go to those who are in high risk groups such as older coaches? Maybe it's me but I'm in favor of getting as many shots in arms as quickly as possible. You want to stop this thing and all it's terrible effects - that's the way it will be done. We can stand on ceremony and make differing value judgments about who is essential, who should really get it first after health care workers and first responders (which by the way there is some scientific/medical ethics disagreement over), etc. The clock isn't going to stop ticking for anyone vulnerable  - old or young.

GWRising, I was just responding to what you wrote.  I understand you want to change your tune now as you so often seem to do. Be that as it may, I would say, take any extra vaccines and give them to the most vulnerable people first, that would include people who work at grocery stores, transit workers, restaurant workers and so on.  I don't think college basketball players fall into that category.

2/09/2021 8:40 pm  #51

One other point here. I hope you all realize that there are about 50 different state rules on who is deemed as "essential".

Plus there are raging medical ethics debates about who to vaccinate first. Most everyone agrees that health care workers and first responders should be first. But there are significant debates raging about old vs young, racial and economic equity, and just who should be deemed to be essential. For example, giving an 85-year old a vaccine because they are 85 may not be as ethical as giving a 40-year old with Type 1 diabetes a vaccine first. So 22nd and F the science/ethics is not as cut and dried as you might like it to be.

2/09/2021 8:48 pm  #52

22ndandF wrote:

GWRising wrote:

22ndandF wrote:

GWRising, I was just responding to what you wrote.  I understand you want to change your tune now as you so often seem to do. Be that as it may, I would say, take any extra vaccines and give them to the most vulnerable people first, that would include people who work at grocery stores, transit workers, restaurant workers and so on.  I don't think college basketball players fall into that category.

Never changed any tune here. I said if the NCAA is going to ask basketball players to play a sport that puts them at significant risk (where there aren't masks and social distancing), they have a duty to vaccinate them. 

Also when you speak of vulnerable, I think you generalize too much. A 20-year old basketball player with type I diabetes could be more vulnerable than a 70-year old in good health. We've already seen first hand that this can affect otherwise healthy athletes.

Again, I am not arguing whether someone should play or not or whether it was the correct decision to play. I'm just saying it is near criminal to ask these players to play without a vaccination plan in place. All it will take is God forbid one death and we will see everyone's tune change speaking of changing tunes. We have a way to make this potentially safer for them and the NCAA should avail itself of that if it is going to insist on continuing to play.

Last edited by GWRising (2/09/2021 8:58 pm)

2/09/2021 9:35 pm  #53

GWRising wrote:

22ndandF wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Never changed any tune here. I said if the NCAA is going to ask basketball players to play a sport that puts them at significant risk (where there aren't masks and social distancing), they have a duty to vaccinate them. 

Also when you speak of vulnerable, I think you generalize too much. A 20-year old basketball player with type I diabetes could be more vulnerable than a 70-year old in good health. We've already seen first hand that this can affect otherwise healthy athletes.

Again, I am not arguing whether someone should play or not or whether it was the correct decision to play. I'm just saying it is near criminal to ask these players to play without a vaccination plan in place. All it will take is God forbid one death and we will see everyone's tune change speaking of changing tunes. We have a way to make this potentially safer for them and the NCAA should avail itself of that if it is going to insist on continuing to play.

GWRising, I read your posts on this subject and you said quite a bit more than what you've reduced your voice to here on your last post. But okay.  I hope you have a great night. Be safe and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

2/10/2021 1:08 pm  #54

Barry, you are asleep at the wheel!
Time to put this thread to bed.
Let's not minimize the most important issue of today (pandemic) with a horrible GW Basketball team that should end the season now and start preparing for next year.
(Archived and removed by BGF for its insensivity and attacking nature, and subject to action by adminstrators).
Please spare us the misery.

Last edited by BGF (2/10/2021 1:16 pm)

2/10/2021 1:23 pm  #55

Wow, a guy leaves for less than a day and the thread goes to sh*t.  While this thread was initially about Matt Moyer (and let's not forget that), and the hopes and prayers of the members of this board to see him recover and thrive, and really wasn't about basketball, I left the thread open because the discussion and debate was worthy of it.  

Should we have college sports?  Should players be compelled to play?  If they opt out, are they in fact hurting their futures?  What's the impact of the free year of eligibility?  Is COVID-19 being taken seriously enough by the powers that be in the NCAA and the conferences?  These are all good discussions.

But alas, it's gone.

I've edited several posts with the phrase "(Archived and removed by BGF for its insensivity and attacking nature, and subject to action by adminstrators)."  I have saved the original text with screen shots and made the needed changes where I deem it necessary.  I also will strongly consider taking action (and have already in the past) including banning users for a day, a week, a month, or forever.  

I urge all of you, when attacked, don't attack back.  Just contact me privately.

Oh, and Joel Joseph, wasn't asleep at the wheel.  I have a professional life and a personal life and this board is not part of one (and barely a part of the other).  I get to it when I have the time and energy.

For now, I am leaving this post open but I urge any further discussion on this topic to be put into a new thread.  Matt Moyer doesn't need our debate to come up when somebody does a google search on his name.

Thanks.  

2/10/2021 4:11 pm  #56

Barry, I believe I may have veered away from the constructive discussion with some of my commentary.  As this thread related to COVID-19, I've had some negative experiences over the past few months, including another very upsetting event recently.  When I saw Matt and his mom, it made me realize what what most important to me.  I know people have different opinions and we all need to respect one-another.   I want to apologize to you and my fellow board members if I started to take the discussion in the wrong direction, or if I offended anyone. That was not my intention.

Last edited by 22ndandF (2/10/2021 4:12 pm)

2/10/2021 4:38 pm  #57

Barry,

Just joking about being "asleep at the wheel".
Like you, I don't visit this site often and post infrequently.
Thank you for "controlling" a few of our perpetual problem posters, regardless of the names their now using. 

2/21/2021 6:04 pm  #58

And here I was hoping someone had updated information on Matt Moyer's health.  I'm closing this thread.  If anyone would like to start another thread that is about Matt, I'm all for it.

Thanks.

4/01/2021 9:31 pm  #59

https://twitter.com/3mw_cbb/status/1377794088854949888?s=21

He’s on the “A10/Big East” 3 on 3 team for a tourney during final 4 weekend. He’s with Ryan Daly from St Joe, Marcus Evans from VCU, and Sacar anim from Marquette. 

Best thing about it is it must mean he’s recovered from illness.  Good luck Matt!

4/02/2021 6:27 am  #60

You can watch the event here: https://twitter.com/i/events/1366496063373275137
You can see the team names here: https://twitter.com/3X3UHoops/status/1376930489638993922
Interesting that they are pairing leagues up this year, I guess it's due to COVID.

The A10/Big East team seems pretty strong on paper. If Evans is fully healthy, he and Daly can go off at the guard spot and Anim from Marquette is a good shooter. Matt wasn't necessarily an offensive rebounder but he is certainly very good on the boards. Seems like they brought Evans and Anim back as alums because they didn't get to hold the tournament last season otherwise it's usually open to just seniors who are not returning to college basketball.

Hope Matt can get that money! Good to hear he has recovered and hopefully there are no long-term effects.

Beast Coast Ballers (Big East/A10 schedule)
Friday 4/2 schedule:
11:30 AM ET vs. American Made (AAC/C-USA)
12:50 PM ET vs. Southwest Souljas (Big 12/Southland)
2:30 PM ET vs. Horizon Valley Hoopers (Horizon/MVC)
3:50 PM ET vs. Wicked Smahts (Ivy/Patriot)

Saturday 4/3 schedule:
8:30 AM ET vs. Western Sky-Walkers (Big Sky/Big West)
9:50 AM ET vs. Metro East Mayhem (America East/MAAC)
11:10 AM ET vs. HBC-U Don't Want None (MEAC/SWAC)

Each game is about 20 minutes or so. The full schedule can be found here: http://www.3x3uhoops.com/Championship_Bracket

Board footera