GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2021 9:17 pm  #181

Re: Other Games - November

The Dude wrote:

Lunardi has St Bona now a 9 seed, so very safely IN. VCU in his first 4 byes, so we for sure want VCU to win this Finale.

What's with spreading apart the Semis and Finals so long??

St Louis is trying to add a game this week.  I think the early tourney was partly to get the games in early in case of covid issues, and second, to give bubble teams like SLU a possible chance to add to their resume or they didn’t win the tourney.

3/09/2021 9:43 pm  #182

Mezie joining Jordan Roland, Kethan Savage, Paul Jorgensen, Collin Smith (others?) as GW transfer-outs to dance in the last 4 years.

3/09/2021 10:55 pm  #183

FQ, interesting, did not realize that! SLU might need it too, they right the cusp of IN/OUT

Gonzaga is 40 seconds away from a 26-0 undefeated season.  Mark Few America's best Coach shines on, and takes his best team yet to the tourney, 22 years in a row.

3/10/2021 10:06 am  #184

Congrats to Mezie! Happy for him. The Mount just had more athletes than Bryant, but Grasso definitely seems like a strong candidate for Fordham. He turned Bryant into a strong contender in the NEC with some good transfers.

Mount St. Mary's PG Chong-Qui reminds me a lot of Bishop.

3/10/2021 11:01 am  #185

That is some very interesting news FQ dropped about St. Louis trying to schedule another game. What kind of team could they schedule, a team who has completed their season and is awaiting an NCAA or NIT bid? I'm assuming a win against teams like that will boost their metric numbers. Are teams who completed their season allowed to play extra games like this. I was surprised that the A10 didn't schedule more conference games for St. Louis(as opposed to GW) when they returned from their COVID pause because everyone knew STL had a good chance to make the NCAA tournament and needed more games/wins.

9th place Marquette vs 8th place Georgetown    3   FS1  - winner plays Villanova tomorrow at noon

Tomorrow  9th place Michigan State vs 8th place Maryland  11:30AM  Big 10 Network  - I haven't checked the bracketology, but could Maryland be in danger if missing the tournament if Michigan State beats them? Maryland ended the season with bad losses to 11th place Penn State and 12th place Northwestern. 

3/10/2021 11:54 am  #186

Thomas, I believe this was part of the plan all along when the A10 moved up its tournament schedule.  Of course, another part was to buy more time in case Covid caused other cancellations.  But, the conference felt that SBU, VCU and SLU were all possible at-large schools and at least one could not make the final 8+ days later.  Thus, the opportunity at least on the calendar to schedule another game if they could find a partner which made sense and which was finished with its own conference tournament.

3/10/2021 8:21 pm  #187

Joe Dooley is 2-10 in league play this year after 3-15 and 5-13 years.

GW fans have clamored for that guy for a long time....no thank you. 

3/11/2021 12:26 pm  #188

Close game going into half between MD and MSU.
Turgeon looks more relaxed after finally signing his extension yesterday. His extension is meaningless at MD if the donors really want him  out in the future.

3/11/2021 1:24 pm  #189

Maybe he can seek to have the 14-11 season expunged or given to an Assistant Coach again:but with the decision not to play on Thursday, this means the team's year is all but over.  the Blue Devils are expected to miss the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1995. That season Krzyzewski missed most of the year due to a ruptured disk in his lower back. This season, Duke was ranked as high as No. 6 early in the season but soon fell out of the rankings for the first time since 2016. 

3/11/2021 2:02 pm  #190

In other blue blood news... Kentucky lost again, season over as well, an incredible 9-16 record 

both teams have multiple NBA players, hard to imagine being that bad with that much talent but Calipari proved it possible.

3/11/2021 2:20 pm  #191

GTown upsets #1 seed Villanova in BE Tourney.
The NCAA Tourney is going to be crazy this year!

3/11/2021 2:50 pm  #192

News only gets worse.

3/11/2021 3:05 pm  #193

Duke had a lot of momentum(35 and 14 point wins in their 1st 2 ACC tourney games) going into the Florida State game. We know that the NCAA really wanted to put Duke in the tournament too, but their COVID issue could last for a few weeks and putting Duke into the NCAA tournament when they may not be able to play isn't a good idea.  I know this wouldn't happen, but it would be funny if the ACC called Louisville or some other ACC team that lost to see if they can return to Greensboro and play Florida State tonight! Maybe Travis Ford can see if St.Louis can go to Greensboro and play Florida State tonight!! HA!

I'm not sure what the problem was with Kentucky, someone pointed out in another thread they lack shooters which is a good point, but when you look at the talent level, they shouldn't have finished 9-16 and in 9th place in the SEC. Maybe it was the entire new roster of players and lack of practice/preparation time due COVID that caused the bad season. Calipari has had teams like this in the past where he had to flip the entire roster, and they still performed well

I should have posted about Georgetown before the game because I figured they had a better chance to win today after Villanova lost star guard Collin Gillespie for the season to a knee injury about a week ago. Even without Gillespie, it looked like Villanova would hold them off, but Georgetown was resilient, and their freshman guard Harris hit 2 free throws with 4 seconds left to give them the 1 point win. Georgetown plays the St.John's-Seton Hall winner in the semifinals tomorrow, Georgetown beat both of them during the season, so they could be playing for the Big East championship and an NCAA tournament bid on Saturday. 

Maryland also beat Michigan State by double digits earlier today. I thought they had a slight chance of being on the outside looking in terms of the NCAA tournament if they lost to Michigan State. It looks like Maryland plays up or down to the competition, they play Michigan tomorrow

3/11/2021 3:57 pm  #194

The consensus, FWIW was that Duke was out of the running for an at large bid though, that they needed to win the tourney, their resume is even worse than their record (check their KenPom, e.g)

More amazing, Kentucky.  How do you go 9-16 with that talent? I posted before the season, the 1 and done strategy has showed real cracks, this is was the worst year yet for the 1 and done architects

3/11/2021 4:21 pm  #195

I'm sure that it's just one great big coincidence that so many of the sport's historic powers and/or "brand names"...Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Marquette, all "randomly" picked this season, the season of Covid-19, to either have a disastrous year or at the very least, a disappointing one relative to their recent past.  Can't imagine any factors contributing to this other than schools recruiting one and dones.

3/11/2021 6:09 pm  #196

BrianPaul wrote:

What's your point about the Bigs, Mayhem?  That they are colluding? "let's all  lose during COVID-19, just because!"  I'm not following. 

the blue bloods don't have massive home court advantage (as well as home like atmospheres at neutral sites).

3/11/2021 6:41 pm  #197

You guys talk about everything and anything (who the hell is Coach Carm and who cares!) except the fact that the men's basketball program is imploding  The "turnaround king" has a 17-32 record in two seasons and players are jumping ship like it's going out of style-- including Jamison Battle who will be a star elsewhere. Frankly, after 55 years of following the team, I'm getting sick and tired of writing letters to GW ADs pleading for the current head coach (John Kuester, Karl Hobbs, Maurice Joseph, and now Jamion Christian) to be relieved of duty. Hell, AU has a much better head coaching track record than we do and that's sad. This is the result, I believe, of not wanting to pay top-flight, experienced coaches what they deserve and, particularly since the Lonergan debacle, not wanting a coach to raise his voice to a player or discipline him in any meaningful way. Almost all of you appear to be happy enough with no radio or tv coverage (except when an opponent warrants it), two lines buried in the Post sports section, little alumni or student interest, and an almost permanent spot in the bottom tier of the A10. Please take a second either to agree with me or to tell me I'm full of crap--but please respond. 

3/11/2021 7:40 pm  #198

Joel Joseph wrote:

GTown upsets #1 seed Villanova in BE Tourney.
The NCAA Tourney is going to be crazy this year!

Villanova without Gilliespie (not to mention with their other good guard, Justin Moore, playing through injury) is not the same team.  They will go into the tourney 0-2 without Gillespie, so let’s see if the committee gives them the Pops seeding treatment.

3/11/2021 7:52 pm  #199

Thomas, I think Kentucky’s problem was:

- Lack of shooters leading to poor floor spacing,
- No elite point guard to run that system like they usually have (Davion Mintz is a decent player from a Creighton, but not elite and Devin Askew didn’t work out we a freshman).
- Their star freshman, BJ Boston, turned out to be a decent scorer but shot poorly
- Olivier Saar is a finesse player and I’m not sure Coach Cal knows how to use a finesse 7 footer, especially when they also have guys like Isaiah Jackson inside.   Saar should have stayed at Wake or gone somewhere else.
-  And, as someone else posited above, I think Covid really did hurt them and other blue bloods for two reasons. First, home court advantage not what it was - it’s no as intimidating to play in Rupp or Cameron without fans screaming.  Second, I think teams with a lot of freshman were hurt by lack of practice time and other challenges of covid.  Just hard to meld new players together, especially early, and get them ready to play as a team.  I could be wrong, but I don’t think a single KenPom top 25 team starts more than one freshman, and that’s unusual.  The best team I can think  of that relies on multiple freshmen like the blue bloods usually do, is UNC - and they got off to a terrible start, but now Caleb Love is finally settled in and their other freshmen have figure it out.

3/11/2021 8:14 pm  #200

Not so sure I buy fully into the bluebloods more impacted by Covid theory.  Maybe this year's crop at Duke and Kentucky were either overrated or the pieces don't fit together well, or both. Cal in 2013 had his typical #1 recruiting class team that ended up an NIT only team. The major reason was instead of Anthony Davis he had Nerlens Noel. Instead of John Wall that team had Archie Goodwin.  But 9-16 is truly remarkable.

The are hardly as inexperienced together as a unit but, Gonzaga's best player is Point Guard Jalen Suggs, a 1 and done Freshman, they play 1st year transfers Nemhard and Cook heavily, Timme and Watson were role players this year, featured heavily as Sophs this year, and they do return Cory Kispert, a 4 year senior and Ayayi a Junior.

If anything, I'd posit a team of 1 and dones, which beats you with talent, more than gelling and cohesiveness would be well situated to thrive in a year like this

But as a formula, the returns are diminishing, and that's a trend line that goes back many years now.   

Board footera