GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2020 5:20 pm  #1

Women knock off ODU

A pretty resounding 55-37 victory for WBB, with Neila scoring 18 to lead the way. She was a third team all-A10 placement, but I think she will finish a lot better than that if she keeps up the way she played today. Like the Lincoln game, she is dangerous from about 14-15 feet away from the basket and the go-to option offensively.

Nice to see Mayowa back healthy, she took some of the rebounding burden off Neila and looked really good from the line (could be said for the team as a whole - a perfect 12-12 from the line today!). I think the commentators said that she shot 40% or so from the line last year, but I wouldn't have guessed that from her stroke.

Like the first game, Faith, Essence, and Maddie got on the board after halftime. Although they have had a rough time shooting the ball so far, I believe things will turn around real soon. Faith in particular did a good job on the hustle plays, and Maddie had a nice reverse layup late in the game.

Ali was really dominant when she was in the game. She again had a major height advantage in the post, and showed an improved finishing touch down low, scoring 10 points off the bench. All signs point to a very successful career in Foggy Bottom.

Jasmine and Aurea also had quite a few shots rim out. I really liked the swagger Jasmine plays with. She has the ability to push things off misses and can change directions very well. Late in the game, she fought hard with all the loose balls - I think she might have created 3-4 jump ball opportunities for the team. She really filled up the stat sheet with 6 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 steals.

Aurea was a bit tentative shooting early on, but got a couple buckets late in the game. She is a nice complement to Jasmine, and is a lot more composed on the court. As you would expect for a freshman, some careless passes but also some really well executed passes, including one to Neila who knocked down an elbow jumper.

A tad high on the turnovers and we only shot 36% from the field, but I like that the team didn't settle for threes when they weren't falling, but driving to the basket. The defense was fantastic again - ODU only shot 26% from the field, and both their made threes were with less than 2 minutes left in the game with it already out of hand. The Monarchs only scored 1 point in the second quarter! The team has given up a combined three points in the second quarter through two games.

A tough test awaits on Tuesday against Virginia Tech, who already hold a 21 point victory against Richmond.

11/28/2020 7:32 pm  #2

Re: Women knock off ODU

Over two games, the women have allowed a combined total of three (3) second quarter points! Not sure what happens during the time out at the end of the first, but wow!
Today, the two teams were a combined 3-38 from behind the arc, but GW only threw up 9 threes so they obviously figured out what did not work in the first game.

11/28/2020 11:25 pm  #3

This was a good experience for GW. ODU played a very physical man-to-man defense the whole game, and clearly limited the number of looks looks we had at the basket. They forced a few bad passes, especially our bigs trying to go inside, but for the most part our PGs were poised and patient, so we got some half decent looks and thankfully made some. Also, the great free throw % helped a lot. On the other side, GW's team defense was tough, and did not give up a lot of open shots.

Our long game is worrisome, and for now, only Blethen is a three point threat. When Zambrotta comes back (finger didn't look so good), it'll be a big help. The other players don't seem to have the confidence to take many, but hopefully that will come. This is where we miss Hyduke, but besides that, so far the new personnel seem to be upgrades from those who left.

Our next two games are against ACC teams. VaTech is picked to come is seventh in the league and Virginia is picked to come in last (15th). I think GW has a chance to win these games, if they make them defensive contests, especially against VaTech, who has averaged  83 pts in their first two games. Unless their D is really bad, I don't think we have the scoring power to match them.

11/29/2020 9:36 am  #4

God to see the women hitting their FTs the last two games.  That was a real weakness last year.  Brigham looks to be real solid and Neila looks tremendous this year.    The guards still can't shoot worth a damn.  Why is it that a Rizzo coached team can't hit layups and make 3 ptrs?

Board footera