GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2021 5:00 pm  #1

Transfer: Joe Bamisile, Guard, 2020 - Transferring from Virginia Tech

Joe Bamisile
Year: 2020
Position: SG
Height: 6-5
Hometown: Chesterfield, VA
High School: Monacan HS (Richmond, VA)
AAU Team: Team Parsons CP25 (FL)

Eligibility: Immediately eligible (transfer rules pending), four years to play.

Offers (out of high school): Florida, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Northwestern, Old Dominion, Rhode Island, Richmond, Siena, VCU, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Statistics: 13 GP, 8.9 mpg; 3.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.1 bpg, 0.2 spg; 37% FG, 25% 3-pt, 88% FT. I think the free throw percentage suggests a progression in the shooting numbers with more consistent playing time.

Best Performances: 12/21/20 vs. Longwood (11 points, 2 rebounds; 4-6 FG, 1-1 3-pt, 2-2 FT in 5 minutes)
                                   2/26/21 vs. Miami (FL) (11 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists; 5-10 FG, 1-1 FT in 25 minutes)

There is a lot of untapped potential here. Joe can jump out of the gym and is a pretty good shooter as well. He is a pretty decent defender on the other side of the ball and gives us good size at the guard position. Bamisile had originally committed to Northwestern before landing at Virginia Tech and I believe JC offered him while at Siena and was watching him for a while with the Richmond connection. He was a consensus top 70 recruit nationally out of HS.

Welcome Joe! It looks like the team is coming together nicely.

Links
247Sports
Game Log
Rivals
Twitter Account
Verbal Commits

GW Commitment Tweet

3/29/2021 5:10 pm  #2

Re: Transfer: Joe Bamisile, Guard, 2020 - Transferring from Virginia Tech

Welcome, Joe and family to the GW Colonial family!

3/29/2021 6:08 pm  #3

I think this video will tell you a lot about the kind of kid that is joining us. Very impressive 

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/29/2021 6:10 pm)

3/30/2021 10:50 am  #4

Love that video about Joe and his music.  Seems like he's very talented at more than one thing!

4/11/2021 4:16 pm  #5

4/11/2021 7:52 pm  #6

That dunk against Wake.... goodness.

What a great addition for GW

7/06/2021 10:18 am  #7

Without the benefit (or detriment) of watching new players compete in Kenner, I thought I would start a series on our incoming transfers.  This is based on videos, internet research, and in some but not all cases, conversations I have had with certain people whose words I trust.  This is not intended to predict future performance.  It's more of a snapshot of what one person is seeing and hearing.  Take it however you would like.

Transfer from Virginia Tech:  Joe Bamisile

Player We Might Be Looking At:  JR Pinnock
Player We Might Be Reminded Of:  Jameer Nelson, JR.

Joe played sparingly during his lone season at Virginia Tech and there were likely a number of good reasons for this.  The Hokies had about as disjointed a schedule last year as the Colonials (in fact, the two schools had been potentially slated to meet in a tournament which never happened).  Not only did VT play just 7 OOC games but throughout the year, they played 10 games which were decided by 8 of fewer points.  This all ads up to not having the kind of time to break in any newcomer, let alone one who truly could have benefitted from these extra opportunities.  Joe not only missed his senior year of high school due to injury but his sophomore season as well.  He shone during his junior season where he was an all-state performer in Virginia.  

The JNJ reference does not speak to their styles of play as much as it does the rawness of their games.  JNJ also missed most of his senior year of high school and it was widely reported that he didn't seriously take up the game until a fairly late age.  While Joe has been playing for much longer, missing two of his final three seasons put him behind the eight ball at VT.  Mike Young knew that he was getting a phenomenal athlete but getting him up to speed as a basketball player in the ACC proved to be difficult.  Others played in front of him, not necessarily because they were more talented than Joe but because they were more "ready to play."

The Pinnock reference speaks to the kind of upside that Joe has.  In JR, I saw someone who arrived at GW as more of an athlete than a polished basketball player (you may recall that another GW recruit, Ricky Lucas, came in as the higher ranked shooting guard out of high school).  That said, JR worked like crazy to become an extremely gifted player.  While he was never the three point threat that teammates like Mo Rice and Mike Hall were, JR became a very reliable midrange shooter which in turned opened up his abilities as an effective penetrator.  On defense, JR became an outstanding defender which was likely the major reason why he was drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA draft.

Landing Joe has some similarities to landing James Bishop a year earlier.  There is mixed opinion out of Blacksburg regarding Joe's departure.  Some feel that given the logjam at the wing positions, Joe was not really going to emerge until at least his junior season and more likely, his senior season.  Others are already counting on him being a major performer at GW right away, thereby regretting the day that Mike Young lost him.  Like Bishop, this appears to be a situation where you have a very talented player who was sitting behind guys and who wanted to play a lot right away.  I feel the new transfer rules help a program like ours more than they hurt as long as the coaching staff is aware of guys like Bishop and Bamisile who may thrive once they leave a major program.

The key to Joe's success will be whether he is able to make up the learning curve that alluded him last year.  So much went against him last year....a new coach who relied on more veteran players right away, a shortened OOC season, many close, competitive games throughout the year and several Covid related disruptions throughout the season.  For a player who hadn't played high school ball since his junior season, this was a lot to overcome.  At GW, Joe will (hopefully) have the benefit of a full offseason (conditioning, weight lifting, etc.), a normal-length season, and a level of competition that's not the ACC.  That said, the A10 isn't exactly high school competition either.  Nevertheless, if Joe can regain the confidence and form that he showed during his junior year of high school, this has the chance to become JC's most significant player acquisition yet.    

7/06/2021 1:42 pm  #8

Thank you for this post and your research. Great to see this kind of analysis.

7/07/2021 1:48 pm  #9

My pleasure Barry.  Of course, I'll post something like this in the hope that it will create some discussion.  Does anyone have anything to add regarding Joe?  What are your short-term and long-term expectations?  Does anyone recall seeing him play for VT? 

7/07/2021 1:57 pm  #10

Thanks for posting this.
I unfortunately don't have much more to add as I've only seen the videos of his highlights at VT that most of you have also seen.

I must add that it seems the VCU fans were very complimentary of his potential and overwhelmingly thought it was a great get for GW. As you can imagine they were very familiar with him given he is from the Richmond area.

Seems like a ton of potential and a player you have to be excited about. But it might take some time given that he hasn't played much recently

7/07/2021 2:14 pm  #11

He did in fact have an offer from VCU, along with SLU, Richmond, URI, Florida, Miami and West Virginia among others.  Appears to be someone who would have fit very well in Mike Rhoades's system.  Really has the chance to be a major "get" for GW,

7/07/2021 2:19 pm  #12

Haven't watched too much of Joe to be completely honest but from I can see from highlights and scouting reports is an extremely athletic wing who can rebound and attack the basket. Scouting reports out of high school praised his scoring but also talked about a shaky handle so him playing off the ball (with Bishop and Freeman primarily running point) should be beneficial to Joe. In the one game I watched that Joe played a lot (@ Miami which he played career high in minutes and points scored) he struggled getting around screens and adding some weight will definitely help with that. If he's asked to be a lead scorer early (which he likely won't) then he's gonna struggle but playing off ball, making good cuts, and shooting when open, he should be successful early on! Not all highly ranked recruits are immediately ready, some are ranked highly more based on potential and that seems to be the case with Joe. 

7/08/2021 11:00 pm  #13

I believe we got a good player here.  If nothing else a huge upgrade to our speed, size, and athleticism on the wings.  With him and Lindo and Adams on the wings, there really won’t be anyone will play who will overwhelm us athletically the way teams have the last few years.

7/10/2021 9:13 am  #14

No question it appears we are getting more athletic with size.  Sure hope JC will be able to "coach 'em up.".  

7/10/2021 3:01 pm  #15

Lot of open questions. Will the transfer players we are counting on reach their potential at GW,after languishing at bigger programs, or in one case,smaller program?
Can they overcome injuries which could or did lead to their limited use in bigger programs? Amir is both a sign of high level talent when even partially healthy and a cautionary tale.
Can JC and staff recognize the best talent and talent combo on the court and coach them up,as Mike K just noted? A lot more to ruminate on as well.
But there's significant potential,at least on paper, and it is the time of year when hope springs eternal before reality intervenes. So we have that.
And since this a Joe Bamisile thread,from what we see and hear,he seems like a really high character person we may be proud of for years to come.
Interests outside of basketball and what is reminiscent of Pops-like enthusiasm.

7/16/2021 1:03 pm  #16

Team will be very athletic

For several years we had almost no athletic players too many Goss and Ciminos and Nick Griffins

Last edited by The Dude (7/16/2021 1:04 pm)

Board footera