GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2021 6:05 pm  #61

Re: 2021-2022 Schedule

Mid-tier Virginia schools W&M, GMU and Hampton all rang our bell the last few years so no reason to think Radford is a gimme, much less a win. The memory of beating a ranked UVa. team with NBA talent at the Smith Center grows ever more distant, especially with the school's persistent effort to cancel the former coach's tenure and record.

6/16/2021 7:32 pm  #62

6/16/2021 8:25 pm  #63

GW18 wrote:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1405321377343754245

Headed to College Park November 11th

That's HUGE news!! You may need to start a separate thread for this since Maryland current and previous coach didn't seem to like the possibility of facing GW in the BB&T Classic for all those years. Why did Turgeon have a change of heart on facing GW all of a sudden? When you look at the BCS transfers who will be eligible this season, GW could be much improved and a win over Maryland can ignite the season. Remember a similar scenario happened the last time GW played Maryland when it appeared as if Maryland would have a far superior team, but Mo Creek buried the jumper with about a second left to beat Maryland. 

6/16/2021 9:51 pm  #64

Well burn my couch, that  is news! I have to assume COVID concerns had to play a role in scheduling this one (less of a logistical hassle than bringing in a team from outside of the area served by Metro). Still, if games against College Park CC can become a regular part of the OOC rotation, no one here will object I hope.

6/16/2021 11:00 pm  #65

Now that's Raising Higher.
Guess Turgeon thought this was the year to abandon his wariness of playing us.
Good job to whoever landed this.
Next: shame the cowards up the street.
Maybe if they somehow,some way, ever acquire a smidgen of courage, one day we could have a real local tournament challenge like the Big 5 in Philly.

Last edited by jf (6/16/2021 11:00 pm)

6/17/2021 7:48 am  #66

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Well burn my couch, that  is news!

A perfect response.

6/17/2021 9:12 am  #67

How excited are you, Ricky Lindo?

Really good news.  From Turgeon's standpoint, I can't imagine there is a return game at Smith Center (that would be something if there was), he likely perceives today's GW as no real threat to win based on the post-Lonergan era, and he'd likely schedule this game annually as long as the game was played in CP and the Terps did not lose any of the meetings.  Smart on Maryland's part to schedule this very early in the season, perhaps realizing that GW does have some talent that should improve over time.  From a scheduling perspective, about the best GW could hope for would be a 2 for 1 with the GW game taking place at Capital One Arena.

Incidentally, Maryland is expected to be much-improved.  They of course pick up the Gtown center which was a great need a season ago.  The Athletic just ranked Maryland as the 3rd best team in the Big 10, behind Michigan and Purdue.

6/17/2021 9:20 am  #68

No return game at home but the possibility of future games exists either at College Park or at neutral site.

Without mentioning names because the schedule hasn't been finalized right now and to the best of my recollection here are at least 10 of 13 games...

Home with a Big South Team - Radford
Home with a MEAC team
Home with a NEC team
Away with a WCC team
Away with a B10 team - Maryland
MTE in Naples, FL (2 games)
Home with a Patriot team
Away with a CUSA team
Away with a Big West Team
Home with ????
Home with ????
Home with ????

As I said, not the strongest schedule but not the weakest schedule we have seen from GW in the last 10-15 years.

6/17/2021 10:12 am  #69

GWRising, aside from Maryland, is it known whether this year's away opponents will be playing at Smith Center in 2022-23?

6/17/2021 10:12 am  #70

Is it safe to assume the away games against WCC and Big West teams will be a single trip? If so, would that likely mean southern California (WCC--Loyola Marymount/Pepperdine/USD; Big West-- UC Irvine/UCSB/Long Beach St/Fullerton/Northridge/Cal Poly)? I can live with that, especially if the A10-Mountain West thing is DOA. (Unless it is WCC- UoP and Big West UC Davis/Bakersfield, in which case it is a hard pass on my part because those places are B.O.R.I.N.G. to visit)

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (6/17/2021 10:27 am)

6/17/2021 11:09 am  #71

GWRising wrote:

No return game at home but the possibility of future games exists either at College Park or at neutral site.

Without mentioning names because the schedule hasn't been finalized right now and to the best of my recollection here are at least 10 of 13 games...

Home with a Big South Team - Radford
Home with a MEAC team
Home with a NEC team
Away with a WCC team
Away with a B10 team - Maryland
MTE in Naples, FL (2 games)
Home with a Patriot team
Away with a CUSA team
Away with a Big West Team
Home with ????
Home with ????
Home with ????

As I said, not the strongest schedule but not the weakest schedule we have seen from GW in the last 10-15 years.

Just gonna guess the CUSA team is rather Old Dominion (if we are gonna play a future road game at Radford for recruiting purposes, I'd imagine we'd do the same with another VA school), Charlotte (as a return for Charlotte coming to DC last season), or either of the Florida Schools around the time of the Naples tournament. Could be completely wrong but just my guess. 

6/17/2021 12:42 pm  #72

1. One other game I forgot to add is a home date with an America East opponent.
2. I would highly doubt the CUSA and two west coast games will be returned.. We already know the MD game won't be returned. I believe at least one of the west coast games was a promise to a player so his entire family could see him play.
3. I think JC is trying to maintain maximum flexibility towards scheduling in 2022-23. The reason for this is if the team progresses as he/we hope this season, it may be in position for a NCAA tournament run in 2022-23. If so, I think JC will play a schedule more like what ML played. By not locking into long term contracts, he will have flexibility to play a stronger schedule. I think it's entirely possible that this year's OOC schedule will have very little overlap with 2022-23.

6/30/2021 9:23 am  #73

Naples Invitational Update: This article yesterday from the Springfield (MO) News-Leader says that Missouri State has agreed to play in the event, which is slated to include eight teams, meaning three more slots are still open (scroll down after the football news). 

Missouri State football: Bears to play at Mizzou in 2033 (news-leader.com)

6/30/2021 6:46 pm  #74

Jon Rothstein[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/JonRothstein]@JonRothstein 4m
Source: George Washington will host UMass Lowell as part of its 21-22 non-conference schedule.

6/30/2021 7:18 pm  #75

Good News!  Full houses hopefully for all fall sports (as far as I can tell - not sure why the link says baseball). https://gwsports.com/news/2021/6/30/baseball-gw-athletics-to-host-events-with-full-capacity-in-fall-2021.aspx

7/06/2021 11:34 am  #76

Long Beach State now listed as a participant in the Naples event.  Two more slots to fill.  Not sure if this has any connection with the Gulf Coast Showcase previously hosted by FGCU at Hertz Arena and where the GW women have played previously.     

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2021/2/17/22287581/2021-22-mens-college-basketball-exempt-multi-team-events-mte-thanksgiving-early-season-tournaments

7/06/2021 1:18 pm  #77

Does anyone know what JC’s scheduling philosophy is? 

It’s looking a bit like Hobbs - play really bad teams you know you can beat (Umass Lowell, etc) and then play like 2 or 3 road games vs teams you probably can’t and use the couple of good teams to say your schedule is challenging, while trying to build a W-L record that appeals only to those who don’t understand SOS. 

It could be that he will upgrade the schedule as the team gets better, but this year’s schedule is not that or a confident program. 

Anyone know what his ideal approach to scheduling is?  Or at least how he’d schedule when or if he gets this thing turned around?

7/06/2021 1:59 pm  #78

FQ, I'd say this is very hard to answer because with all due respect, JC had only coached in one-bid conferences in the past where the objectives behind a scheduling philosophy are totally different.   In a one bid league, maybe you schedule easy to build confidence.  Or, maybe you schedule hard to get your team battle-tested.  Either way, your scheduling has nothing to do with working the metrics so as to put your team in position for an at-large bid.  In the A10, if and when you become a viable possibility for the tournament, then much more thought must be put into this.

I agree that the Hobbs/Kvancz partnership (and I do feel that for the purpose of scheduling, this indeed was a partnership) showed a substantial lack of foresight.  In fact, there seemed to be some kind of inverse relationship between talent and schedule, with KH's most talented teams playing among the school's softest ever OOC schedules.

7/06/2021 2:13 pm  #79

It might be a bit premature to assign Christian a "scheduling phillosophy" since at this point actually making and keeping a schedule is an exercise in extreme uncertainty. It does not appear that he is going out of his way to schedule empty calories or leaving games on the table if a pushover cannot be scheduled (ahem, Mr Hobbs), but the 2021-22 Colonials may end up with that type of a schedule anyways. Television is not hectoring GW for marquee matchups in prime time, budgets are being slashed the way coeds were in 80´s horror movies and transfermania makes sizing up any opponent (or even GW) based on last year about as predictable as 8th race at Pimlico.
For this year, I´d like a couple of peer/equal opponents, a couple of creampuffs (at the start and for the first game after finals) and a few games where GW will have to punch above its weight to win. But I will settle for a schedule against teams that won´t postpone because of virus outbreaks and let the SOS cards fall where they may.

7/15/2021 12:15 pm  #80

Rocco Miller[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/roccomiller8]@roccomiller8 4m
George Washington has a road date with Cal St. Fullerton.
Game is set for November 16th at Titan Gym.
#A10MBB #BigWest

Board footera