GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/09/2019 12:10 pm  #21

Re: Amir Harris

How could this not yet be known, this close to the season?

10/22/2019 2:26 pm  #22

Another immediately eligible transfer:  Quentin Grimes -- Texas native and five star recruit -- went to Kansas for a year, declared and later withdrew from the NBA draft to transfer to Houston.  Declared eligible today.

10/22/2019 3:22 pm  #23

BM wrote:

Another immediately eligible transfer:  Quentin Grimes -- Texas native and five star recruit -- went to Kansas for a year, declared and later withdrew from the NBA draft to transfer to Houston.  Declared eligible today.

The thing about this case is that there was no scholarship to return to even if Quentin Grimes wanted to come back to Kansas.  They had already used that scholarship on someone else.  Wasn't it the case that Amir was told there was no scholarship for him anymore at Nebraska?

10/22/2019 4:34 pm  #24

Calm down boys. These things are addressed serially once the NCAA receives the appeal. First in first out. Not sure when Amir filed his appeal. There are many and they didn't turn to basketball until all the fall sports appeals were completed in late August. You only have to know prior to November 5th. We will hear something official soon.

Last edited by GWRising (10/23/2019 8:48 am)

10/23/2019 12:05 am  #25

Interesting even if an unofficial tally - 90% rate so far seems to look good for Amir's chances. On the other hand...2/3 haven't even been reviewed!

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops 11h 
My unofficial count of transfer waivers thus far:
- 36 have been approved
- 4 have been denied
- 74 still haven’t been ruled on by the NCAA

Last edited by dmvpiranha (10/23/2019 12:06 am)

10/23/2019 8:44 am  #26

GW0509 wrote:

BM wrote:

The thing about this case is that there was no scholarship to return to even if Quentin Grimes wanted to come back to Kansas.  They had already used that scholarship on someone else.  Wasn't it the case that Amir was told there was no scholarship for him anymore at Nebraska?

GW0509, Nebraska agreed to keep Amir on scholarship while throwing him off of the team.  That scholarship would not have counted towards the basketball allotment since he would no longer be playing basketball.  They would have found a way to make it an academic scholarship or some other type.  It's a somewhat ridiculous gesture since Amir is healthy and wants to play basketball.  He could have theoretically given up his basketball career and remained a Nebraska student for three more years on scholarship.  Unless I am missing something, Amir's circumstance is exactly the same as Brady Heiman, whose waiver was recently approved.  Unless there's an unknown piece of information out there, I don't know how even the misguided NCAA can say yes to Brady and no to Amir.

10/24/2019 10:13 am  #27

Preseason prospectus says “ Will sit out the 2019-20 season due to NCAA transfer rules (pending waiver)”

So we will find out soon

10/24/2019 12:43 pm  #28

The Prospectus also says Sloan Seymour will sit out, but no mention of sitting out in Ace Stalling's bio. Do we know if Ace was granted a waiver, or was he immediately eligible?

10/24/2019 1:50 pm  #29

dmvpiranha wrote:

Interesting even if an unofficial tally - 90% rate so far seems to look good for Amir's chances. On the other hand...2/3 haven't even been reviewed!

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops 11h 
My unofficial count of transfer waivers thus far:
- 36 have been approved
- 4 have been denied
- 74 still haven’t been ruled on by the NCAA

I don't understand how the NCAA could have 74 cases still pending this close to the season?? You'd think they would set a September deadline so that teams could have enough time to prepare for the season. Based on Amir's level of talent, I'd imagine him being eligible this season would dramatically change Jamion Christian's plans and outlook for his team. 

GWMayem,  didn't the Nebraska newspaper report that Fred Hoiberg told Amir Harris and 2 other players that they were no longer on scholarship?? You could be right, but I thought Hoiberg basically told all 3 players that they had to go. 

10/24/2019 2:32 pm  #30

As I stated the NCAA moves on its own clock. Most of these will be resolved in the next 2 weeks. Some may linger beyond that. Some are technicalities such as incomplete paperwork. 

Last edited by GWRising (10/24/2019 2:33 pm)

10/25/2019 11:24 am  #31

Thomas, the three players were told that they no longer had a spot on the team.  While their athletic scholarships would need to be removed to pave the way for others, each player was told that they could continue to attend school at Nebraska under scholarship.  Some other type of scholarship would have been provided.  However, it's a hollow gesture.  Players want to play and it would stand to reason that each would transfer in order to resume playing college basketball someplace else.

10/25/2019 12:11 pm  #32

Update:Jeff Goodman  @GoodmanHoops10m My unofficial transfer waiver tally:
Approved: 46
Denied: 8
Still Waiting: 67

11/02/2019 2:28 pm  #33

still nothing?

11/02/2019 5:41 pm  #34

The question was asked pre-game to Assistant Coach Ryan Devlin in the Colonials Club.  There has been no update as of yesterday.  The NCAA has until Tuesday.

11/02/2019 9:01 pm  #35

Gee, the NCAA has until Tuesday? That makes planning the season really easy, and is very fair to Amir (...NOT!). And what is the default if there is no answer on Tuesday. Even the British have some sense of what awaits them in the coming months...

11/04/2019 10:49 am  #36

The NCAA has as long as it wants to take unfortunately. Perhaps today we will know something.

11/05/2019 2:48 pm  #37

Crazy to think the season starts tonight and we still don't know anything about this.  I assume that means he's sitting out tonight?

11/05/2019 3:47 pm  #38

Amir is listed on the roster on the school´s website and named in the press release about the game. HOWEVER, the school has not posted game notes online and Amir has been on the official roster for a long time without his eligibility status being known. The NCAA is much like the revolutionary leader in the Woody Allen movie "Bananas" declaring "all children under 16 years of age are now...16 years of age. The official language of San Marcos is now Sweedish. Underwear will be changed every 30 minnutes. Underwear will be worn on the outside, so we can check." It would be farcical if not for the damage this does to the programme and to Amir...

11/05/2019 4:55 pm  #39

Towson posted GW's game notes and for Amir it says he is sitting out pending appeal 

11/07/2019 10:33 am  #40

Waiting to find out Amir's status like

Board footera