GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2021 4:37 pm  #1

Alumni update-- Olympiad edition

The upcoming Tokyo Summer Games are probably going to happen even though they probably shouldn´t. Already two GW alums that I know of are confirmed going:
Yuta Watanabe JAPAN (men´s basketball). All reports are Yuta was a star for Japan in their opening friendly but the hosts are going to have it tough because they lost to Finland. And yes, it was a baskeball game and not a competitive reindeer offal-eating contest.
Patricio Garino ARGENTINA (men´s basketball). Looks like the injury is indeed behind him. In Argentina´s opening friendly (a buzzer-beater loss to Australia in Las Vegas) Pato did not start but saw almost 20 mins of playing time and by far had his team´s best +/- at +21. He is playing against USA-conquering Nigeria right now.

I am sure there are other alums in other sports representing other countries. If you know of them, post the info here so we can all cheer on Colonials as they litterally take on the world.

7/12/2021 5:37 pm  #2

Re: Alumni update-- Olympiad edition

Coincidentally, Japan and Argentina are in the same pool.  Circle August 1 as the day when Yuta and Pato square off against one another in the Olympics.

7/12/2021 5:58 pm  #3

Wow,Yuta,and Pato same game. Good find.
Imagine they know each other's pre-pro tendencies pretty well.

7/13/2021 5:44 pm  #4

Pato playing on NBCSN right now against the USA team

7/14/2021 1:59 pm  #5

PKGW wrote:

Pato playing on NBCSN right now against the USA team

Had a nice closeout on Durant, forced a bad jumper.
Same old glue guy and lockdown defender we remember at the top of that killer 1-3-1.

7/23/2021 1:07 pm  #6

The Sports Information Department has finally caught up with us on this issue. 
https://gwsports.com/news/2021/7/23/mens-basketballs-watanabe-and-garino-to-represent-gw-at-olympics.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1IvPuZRn0u-3y6u_P5vSj-iLgCpGcw5ur5NGnMxeOgeZdYwgExE8RHhN0
Saw Yuta marching the parade of nations. Not sure if Garino was there because as soon as they entered the stadium, unlike most teams that kepts in socially distant formations, the Argentine delegation disregarded health protocols and began to act like a bunch of asses (as a Chilean, I can assure all of you that Argentina is a nation of asses).
Any other GW-linked folks competing in Tokyo?

7/23/2021 1:50 pm  #7

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

(as a Chilean, I can assure all of you that Argentina is a nation of asses).
Any other GW-linked folks competing in Tokyo?

Viva Chile! 

7/23/2021 6:19 pm  #8

Did I somehow miss the fact that Pato and Cavanaugh are on the same Lithuanian team?  Is that new?

7/25/2021 1:35 pm  #9

The Colonialympians debut overnight. Team Pato plays Slovenia at 0040hrs ET and Team Yuta go up against España at 0800ET.
If you live in Asia or don´t like sleeping, the Games are available on all kinds of streaming platforms.

7/26/2021 6:41 am  #10

Pato and Argentina lost to Slovenia 100-118. I didn't watch the game, but Pato's box score is not great. 2 points on 1-6 shooting (0-3 from 3)  and 2 assists. Hopefully they can bounce back in their next game.

Also, it looks like Yuta is listed as the Japan national team captain. Couldn't be happier for him!

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/basketball/results-men-gpc-000200-.htm

7/26/2021 8:44 am  #11

Yuta played really well in an 11 point loss to Spain

19 points (5-11, 2-3, 7-9), 7 rebounds (3 offensive), 3 assists, and 5 steals

7/28/2021 5:10 pm  #12

The upcoming Clash of the Colonials Game is really going to end around 3am ET? Ugh. Booze or NoDoze?

Maybe not a medal contender, but it turns out GW has an "Olympics Scholar"...       https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/q-tokyo-olympic-games?fbclid=IwAR0uwNOPMZIcYcBl1vPNqNyes8X1e_kvVi76GUCcqDG6uksEuAZppmdZyTA

7/29/2021 1:34 am  #13

Yuta had a pretty good game against Slovenia,though Japan lost big.
Game wasn't an absolute blowout until maybe 7 minutes,though Slovenia had a solid double-digit lead most of the game.
Yuta had a strong second half,including back to back 3s from each corner. Some big dunks,including on impressive Alley-Oops.Very tired at the end. Missed two foul shots because of fatigue in the  final minute. Somewhere around 15 -20 points, a couple of blocks.
Played good defense against Doncic for the most part,though his teammates didn't. Announcers noted Yuta's defensive prowess,even noting that he was the league defensive Player of the Year in college. Predictably, didn't mention GW.

Last edited by jf (7/29/2021 1:37 am)

7/29/2021 7:58 am  #14

Thanks for the recap, JF. His final stat line:

17 points on 7-15 shooting (3-6 from 3; 0-2 FT), 7 rebounds, 2 assists,  2 blocks, 2 TOs, 3 PFs.

Yuta and Rui combined for 51 of Japans 81 points.

7/29/2021 8:44 am  #15

A few thoughts about Argentina vs. Japan.  Yes, it will start at 12:40 am EST which is a bit past my bedtime.  I do not see this game on the television schedule.  Am pretty sure you can stream it at nbcolympics.com where I hope it will be available for replay viewing at a more sensible hour for us east coast viewers.  Peacock has been showing the U.S. games on its paid tier so if you've subscribed, perhaps it will be available on that platform as well.

I was hoping that one of the dozen or so NBCUniversal cable channels would be televising it because Fran Frischilla has been the analyst for all televised games not involving the U.S.  The same guy who called GW's semifinal and final NIT victories.  There is no doubt in my mind that if Frischilla is calling this game (which could be possible but I would think is improbable on streaming only), he will make mention of the Yuta-Pato connection and how he had the chance to call their NIT victories.  That would have been cool exposure albeit in the middle of the night for many of us.

7/29/2021 8:50 am  #16

Pato vs Yuta is now a "do or die" game for both. After whining his way through the first quarter, Ricky Rubio made Argentina his bitch. Pato only played 4 mins (he started) and left with what appeared to be an injury. Argentina Basketball´s official website said it was a "muscle pain" but I will scour the Argentine media over the next day or two to find out the real story. In any case, a loss to Japan and Argentina will be looking for a new coach and mobs of appreciative Argentine fans will be waiting at the airport for the team´s return armed with rocks, pitchforks and torches.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (7/29/2021 9:00 am)

7/29/2021 8:54 am  #17

Gwmayhem wrote:

A few thoughts about Argentina vs. Japan.  Yes, it will start at 12:40 am EST which is a bit past my bedtime.  I do not see this game on the television schedule.  Am pretty sure you can stream it at nbcolympics.com where I hope it will be available for replay viewing at a more sensible hour for us east coast viewers.  Peacock has been showing the U.S. games on its paid tier so if you've subscribed, perhaps it will be available on that platform as well.

I was hoping that one of the dozen or so NBCUniversal cable channels would be televising it because Fran Frischilla has been the analyst for all televised games not involving the U.S.  The same guy who called GW's semifinal and final NIT victories.  There is no doubt in my mind that if Frischilla is calling this game (which could be possible but I would think is improbable on streaming only), he will make mention of the Yuta-Pato connection and how he had the chance to call their NIT victories.  That would have been cool exposure albeit in the middle of the night for many of us.

Get a VPN that puts you in Mexico. Claro Media is streaming everything free, no registration, live and on-demand later (but you will get the Mexican announcers from their studio in DF instead of an English speaker courtside).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (7/29/2021 9:16 am)

7/29/2021 9:00 am  #18

If you have a cable/streaming subscription for TV, you can watch all the events live or on demand on the NBC Sports App (e.g., on ROKU, Android, etc.). In the App, on the left side is a menu. Just click on the browse line, and it will list all the sports. If you go into basketball, you'll see all the live and on demand games available (both men and women).

Just an observation on the first two Japan games-- at this point, Europeans are still too strong for Japan to handle. Japan has the skills, but inside defense is weak, causing wide open threes for the perimeter players. 

7/30/2021 8:14 pm  #19

As per Argentine news outlet La Voz, an MRI confirmed a "muscle injury" on Patricio Garino´s right leg and he is "doubtful" for the game against Japan. Diario Uno de Santa Fe (which is relying on the same press release, apparently) is ruling Pato "out" of the Japan Game, but is also reporting he is "day to day" so read in to that what you want.
In any case, not likely he is 100% for the Clash of the Colonials.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (7/30/2021 8:21 pm)

7/30/2021 10:29 pm  #20

Too bad for us. But worse if he has a serious injury in a meaningless (outside of playing against Yuta) game.
Especially after all Pato's gone through.

Board footera