GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2021 12:45 pm  #21

Re: Eric Atkins - New Assistant Coach

GWRising, are you on the athletic department's payroll?  Because if you're not, you absolutely should be.

So here's what makes sense....Mike gave a very emotional reaction on Twitter which no matter how justified he may be in feeling this way, will be regarded by some as unprofessional.  Someone got into his ear to this effect.  Mike calmed down and offers a follow-up which essentially says that he should not have gone off the way he did.

There simply is no arguing the fact that Mike deserved a phone call.  Not necessarily an interview, but a call to explain whatever the circumstances happened to be as to why he wasn't being considered.     

1/22/2021 12:54 pm  #22

I'm hoping that the follow up  was as a result of someone (Christian) reaching out  and smoothing things over. 
Lets hope they find a role for him to be more involved going forward

With thats said I like the hiring of a young coach with DMV ties. This is a coach who I'm sure Bishop and Brelsford are very familiar with.

1/22/2021 1:34 pm  #23

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, are you on the athletic department's payroll?  Because if you're not, you absolutely should be.

So here's what makes sense....Mike gave a very emotional reaction on Twitter which no matter how justified he may be in feeling this way, will be regarded by some as unprofessional.  Someone got into his ear to this effect.  Mike calmed down and offers a follow-up which essentially says that he should not have gone off the way he did.

There simply is no arguing the fact that Mike deserved a phone call.  Not necessarily an interview, but a call to explain whatever the circumstances happened to be as to why he wasn't being considered.     

It's great how things make sense to you when you have no idea what did or did not happen here.

But let me ask you this ... does every person who played for GW and who might be interested in coaching deserve a phone call to explain why they are not being considered? Only HOF guys  Only Mike Hall? If the answer is everyone, JC better get busy every time he makes a hire explaining to guys who he may not have even known were interested what his plans are for the position. I can name at least 15 who are in coaching in some form or another since Jarvis. That's just the ones I know about. 

Additional question ... does Pikiell owe Mike, Pops, Carl, TJ, plus everyone he coached at Stony Brook etc. a phone call every time he hires? 

Stop making a tempest out of a teapot. I get that we are all bored these days but this goes on in every program in America. Former players want to be considered for coaching jobs. They might even be good or great at it. But JC has to live or die on his decisions on what is best and I don't believe he owes an explanation if he is not considering someone, even a GW HOF because that would mean he has to call Pops, Shawnta, Yegor, etc. every time. This is especially true when you did not coach the individual involved. And just to clarify, I mean he doesn't owe the first call. If the person wants to call JC to inquire, I am certain he would answer their questions.

Last edited by GWRising (1/22/2021 1:37 pm)

1/22/2021 2:42 pm  #24

Quite the straw man response.

1. Does every former GW player warrant a call being explained why they are not being considered?  No.  But the guys who are owed that call should be easy to identify.  Mike Hall is an obvious one.

2. Does Pikiell owe calls to the guys that he coached at GW?  Only if they applied to join his staff and again, only those which made the most impact.  Certainly not every player.

3. Here's what does not go on in every program in America.  A former HOF player lashing out on Twitter for being disrespected under these circumstances.  

4.  JC does not ever have to call Pops, Shawnta, Yegor, etc or anyone who is not applying to join his staff.  

5. The fact that JC himself did not coach the player is entirely irrelevant.  It's not like GW's basketball program has this long, exhaustive history to learn.  Any head coach should learn enough about the program's history to get a feel for who should be contacted under this circumstance.  Besides, if JC was watching GW games on HTS while he was younger as he has indicated in the past, he should have no problem knowing who Mike is or understanding his contribution to this program.

Nobody is claiming this to be the end of the world.  It's simply a bad oversight on the part of JC and a poor look for the program in general.

1/22/2021 2:57 pm  #25

GWRising- as with the departure of Maceo Jack and JNJ, both incidents may be entirely reasonable and context surrounding them may make them even more reasonable than they appear from the outside.  However, we can't ignore the other side of the picture.  That is, a GW great (and one of the greats the last time the program was NCAA tourney level good)--and an ambassador for the program--lashed out at the coach publicly. 

He may have been entirely in the wrong (warranting the second tweet--though the second tweet did not say he was wrong, only that he continues to support GW). But, again, there's a disconnect between people dealing with JC and the program.  Again- I don't know nearly enough to opine.  But I refuse to believe JC is always right and the player (or former player) is always wrong.  There's gotta be give in there somewhere.  And for a former player to go public like this means something went wrong.  

1/22/2021 3:23 pm  #26

Gwmayhem -

1. Please give me the list of guys since it is obvious.
2. Who said Mike Hall formally or informally applied?

1/22/2021 3:27 pm  #27

Welcome Eric, looks like an excellent hire.

Poor form for Mike Hall, you want a job, you work private channels, being a former player does not make one entitled to a job or even consideration.  

Eric has strong local ties, looks like a very good add.

1/22/2021 3:27 pm  #28

danjsport - Coaches make decisions that not everyone is going to agree with. That's their right by virtue of the job they were hired to do. Current and former players are certainly entitled to their opinions. But the constant search for some sort of nefarious fire here where none exists is doing nobody, most of all the program, any favors. 

Last edited by GWRising (1/22/2021 3:29 pm)

1/22/2021 3:48 pm  #29

Sorry, but players (even walk-ons) who hung banners in the rafters of the Smith Center deserve the courtesy of a phone call at the very least thanking them for applying and explaining briefly why they are not considered ideal candidates. Period.
That does not mean Hall should have been hired or even interviewed, but it is a faux pas on Christian´s part.

1/22/2021 3:49 pm  #30

GWRising, do you just enjoy being difficult?  Do you disagree that Mike was entitled to a courtesy call after all he has done for this program?  Fine, let's start with the Hall of Fame.  If you are a member of the school's Hall of Fame and you apply for a job on your sport's coaching staff and the decision is made not to grant an interview, the coach or AD should pick up the phone, thank you for your interest, and explain the circumstances as to why you are not being considered.  THIS IS REALLY NOT THAT HARD!!!

Who said Mike applied formally or informally?  Well, I can't think of a reason why Mike would be so upset about this if he had expressed zero interest to begin with.  Can you?

Agree Dude, former players are not entitled to jobs or entitled for consideration.  But, that's not what the other side is saying.  Do you disagree with the notion that a HOF player who expresses interest in a coaching position at his alma mater should in fact receive a call explaining why they are not being considered for a position (if in fact they are not to be interviewed)?     

1/22/2021 4:09 pm  #31

Anyone, not just GW HOFs should get a call of explanation if he in fact lobbied for the job beforehand, just out of common courtesy.

But he should be doing these things privately not airing out public disappointment, and if he is in fact interested in working for GW he's done himself a disservice by doing so.

Further, I'm not particularly interested in hiring a guy because he played for GW but because he's the best man for the job.  Finally, most of the best coaches were themselves not great players.  

1/22/2021 4:22 pm  #32

I am not being difficult Gwmayhem. More interested in facts rather than conjecture based off of tweets and certainly not willing to throw JC under the bus for this without more.

Again, do you know for a fact Mike expressed interest? And if so, how was this interest expressed? 

The point I was making about applying (and you might want to consider) was it that Mike thought he should have been asked to apply and was not? Or was it that he disagreed with the result after applying (implying he was not really considered)? 

In either case, shouldn't Mike have called JC to discuss directly rather than resorting to social media first?  Maybe any misunderstanding could have been cleared up without the controversy.

I think the number one thing you are missing is how assistant coaching hires work. Generally, unless a coach doesn't have someone in mind, it's not a put in your resume type deal despite what the human resources department may encourage. Most coaches have a good idea of who they want for a job. And most times, it's people they have had a prior relationship with in some form. 

Last edited by GWRising (1/22/2021 4:23 pm)

1/22/2021 4:32 pm  #33

GWRising, I understand this process entirely.  All the more reason why JC should have picked up the phone and explained things to Mike.  Am not defending Mike's twitter outburst; this should have been handled differently.  I think the point you are missing, or refusing to acknowledge, is that Mike does not go on Twitter with those remarks unless he feels slighted and disrespected.  I don't need to know for a fact how Mike went about expressing interest.  Nobody would react in that manner unless they were interested.

1/22/2021 10:08 pm  #34

The best way to handle this may have been,if it is precooked,which it likely was, to say initially, "We're thrilled someone like you is interested. But we're looking for someone who's been a guard,or already has at.least a bit of experience at the college level. So we'd love to have you as a special consulting coach (or something like that) to work with our bigger guys and share your knowledge and skills from college and the pros. You mean a lot to GW and we're grateful for your interest."
    It would have been best to do this at the initial approach. But if not,do it in a phone call afterward.
Or at least an email saying we're in the midst of some big Covid problems and we'll call you to follow up as soon as things settle down. We're excited to have your input.
Saying or doing nothing just pisses off a big pro class (think money donors as well as high profile supporters).
And those of us who would like some respect for the program's accomplishments before we turned to total crap in recent years,with many and varied bizarre and mysterious action to go along with our humiliating record. Like to look back at the time when we could say beat Fordham more than 1 in 4 times. And show respect to a legendary GW player and good guy.
  GW basketball (and GW as a university) seems to go out of its way to find opportunities to screw up and alienate people,even those who care for it the most.

Last edited by jf (1/22/2021 10:13 pm)

1/25/2021 8:06 am  #35

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Someday Joe Dooley and Mike Hall will be coaching a team that kicks GW´s butt, and GW will only have itself to blame...

This. So much this.
Seriously, was it that fucking hard to return the guy's call?

1/25/2021 11:11 am  #36

Mentzinger wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Someday Joe Dooley and Mike Hall will be coaching a team that kicks GW´s butt, and GW will only have itself to blame...

This. So much this.

Seriously, was it that fucking hard to return the guy's call?

Second,

Also, somewhere in the AD's office someone shou8ld have a small spreadsheet of Info and contact info on all former GW players who are or have coached and plays who could provide help on the bench. That list would included all the Mikes... including  Mike "Joe" McDonald and Mike "Vaughn" Jones.

This goes double for women!!!!  I guess that Jone could be on both lists

Last edited by russianthistle (1/25/2021 11:13 am)

1/25/2021 1:32 pm  #37

After reviewing all of the posts I  have to agree that a highly honored alumnus like Mike Hall should have been shown more respect and communicated with in a more personal way. Mike is a member of a "special club" which comes with being a graduate of our University. He is not an outsider. Yes, a GW graduate should be treated differently. Period!

Board footera