GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2019 10:21 pm  #1

GW 83 Hood 55

Surprised no write up yet about the game, so I'll start a thread with my own observations.

1) Biggest takeaway by far is that Jameer Nelson Jr. is every bit as good as I thought from what I saw at Kenner.  In fact, his performance was amazingly similar to the Kenner League game I saw in which he didn't do much in the first half, then flipped a switch in the 2nd half to completely take over the game.  Early in the game he had two nice drive and kicks but otherwise basically deferred to his older teammates as the offense stagnated.  Early in the 2nd half, with Hood down maybe around 7 or so, he made a ridiculously explosive drive to the hoop finishing through contact with an acrobatic score over three guys, but the refs called a charge.   That play lit a fire under him and he just completely took over.   Next possession I think he hit a three, then got a steal on the other end with an incredible full court outlet pass to someone (Mazzula?) who threw an alley-oop to Maceo, and then JNJ was off to the races. Within probably 12 minutes or so, he drained 5 threes, scored 20 points, and had a couple of steals, along with alley-oop throw down of his own.  

it was really amazing how quickly he just exploded.  I understand the level of competition, but it was one of the most explosive debuts I've ever seen for a GW freshman (at least if you ignore the first half).  He has a lot of learning to do, but by mid-season, everyone will recognize him as the best player on the floor. 

2)  Maceo Jack had the look of someone who will thrive in JC's system.  We generated lots of open shots for him in spots where he can be effective and his stroke looked smooth and his release was quick.   Defenses, especially in the A-10 will try to key on him and take away those spots so collapsing the defense and kicking out will be critical.  Jack also played solid defense against a small opponent.

3) Toro looked trim and strong. He had 11 and 11 at halftime, and I think finished with around 13 points and 13 boards as we were bombing away in the 2nd half.  Couldn't find a box score so i'm guesisng on the numbers.  Hood basically played 5 guards so there was no one to battle Toro inside, so there's really nothing to be learned from this other than he looked healthy and fit.

4) Mazzula seems to have a more clearly defined role as a defense/glue guy/floor spacer.  He hit a couple of threes early off kick outs from Jameer and Mezzie (I think) and that helped.

5) Mezzie was at his best, though at times also his worst. He stuffed the stat sheet with something like 11 points, 5 boards and 5 assists.  But he also had a number of turnovers and at times held the ball too long inside the zone, bogging down the offense. Early in the game he passed on an open 8 footer to try to feed Toro at the rim with two guys on him and threw it away.  JC talked to him afterwards, and then the next time he went in the game, he calmly sank a 12 foot baseline jumper when the defense backed off him again.  That got him going, and he proceded to dish out some assists and score inside and from the mid-range.  He also had 2-3 times where he got a rebound and led a fast break or took off when Toro got a rebound and caught the quick outlet to lead the fast break (note - on our fast breaks in the first half, we seemed to be looking for 3s in transition rather than take it to the rim, but second half as we pulled away we just started dunking on them).  My gut on Mezzie is that he still sees the game slowly, but with playing time he'll adjust as the season progresses and he will get a little more consistent.  If Amir Harris is eligible, Mezzie likely goes back to the bench as the 6th man.

6) Harris, Battle, and Paar were all sidelined.  The rest of the bench was not terribly impressive so I assume those guys will have a chance tor serious run if they can play (other than Harris, who we know can play and is likely our best defender).    If they are all eligible and healthy, I suspect the starting 5 will be JNJ, Jack, Mazzula, Amir Harris, and Toro.  Battle is allegedly the best shooter so he'll probably play a lot, as will Mezzie.  Javy will get time as a back up big (unless Paar beats him out), and Potter will probably get some minutes as a backup guard.    

7) Langarica played and had mixed results.  He made a couple of plays and hit some shots, but he also got trapped inside the zone more than once.  I suspect like most bench players, he'll have some games where he contributes nicely and others where he struggles.  He was better in the first half tonight, but the starters really dominated the second half with that huge run led by Jameer.

8) Potter played a good amount, but I honestly don't remember him doing much at all.

9) With the 3 wings/forwards sidelined, Ace Stalllings played.  He made some nice defensive plays and grabbed rebounds well above the tiny opponent, but not sure he can do that against an A-10 team's size.   It was a decent debut, but I'd give him the Sam Anyan Exhibition Game Award.

10) Shawn Walker didn't get in until garbage time with the walk ons, so can't evaluate.

Some other overall observations beyond players:
- First half was not pretty.  Team struggled to find rhythm against the zone and they let Hood hit some threes.  They were not particularly effective in the traps in the first half, but they seemed like a team that would slow down the tempo and make their opponents take time to score.
- Also in the first half, the team had, I think 9 turnovers.  Most, I think, came when we would throw it to a forward inside the zone who would hold the ball and get ttrapped, leading to a steal or a bad pass or a shot clock violation.
- Second half, the team totally adjusted.  They actually started off with turnovers and their first  2 possessions, but a few minutes into the second half, the Jameer Jr. explosion got going and we got it rolling for about 12 minutes of dominant basketball.
- JC was positive and upbeat throughout, and the players seemed happy to be playing again.
- Also, throughout the game, the coaches will hold up a board with each player's face and the 5 opponents on the court to remind them which player they are supposed to guard. Never really seen that before.

- Because we will rely so heavily on the 3 and because we aren't quite athletic enough to force as many TOs as JC would like Havoc to eventually force, we're going to be a streaky team.  I suspect there will be periods where we score little, but because we rely on the 3, will also score points in bunches in almost every game.  It's an adjustment we as fans will have to get used to, understanding the trade off of this style.

I'm sure we'll take our lumps. but it will be fun watching this team develop with this upbeat coach leading the way.

11/02/2019 6:18 am  #2

Re: GW 83 Hood 55

Vintage FQ recap. Much appreciated!

11/02/2019 7:57 am  #3

Thanks!

11/02/2019 9:09 am  #4

I agree a lot with what FQ has to say. Jameer Nelson is going to be the real deal. Kid is explosive, plays with passion, and can be threatening from multiple levels. 

I second the idea that Maceo will do well in this system. He'll get shots in good positions and, if he can hit it at the rate we know he can, he'll be a big threat.

I agree with the write-up on Mazzulla. He'll be relied upon to be a distributor, ball handler, defender, and team leader. When he needs to he should be able to get a number of good looks at the basket.

If Mezzie improves his 3pt percentage he'll be a pain to guard. He's got decent size and is clearly athletic. For the most part played well when trapped during the 2nd half, but he'll need to learn how to find the open man quicker. At times he held onto the ball for too long and couldn't do anything with it. Against bigger teams this will be an issue. If he can turn into a Kevin Larsen-esqe passer he'll stuff the stat sheet most games.

I'm not going to take much away from this game for Toro. The tallest guy on Hood is 6'6 so he was dominant on the boards. As with Mezzie, if he can become a Kevin Larsen level of passer he'll be very useful down low. 

All in all pretty decent performance. FTs need work, but that'll come. If the big men find the open man faster we'll be deadly from 3. 

On a final note i was sitting next to commit Noel Brown and he is BIG. He definitely enjoyed the few alley-oops during the game and was getting into the band a little bit. It'll be nice to have another big man with real size down low.

11/02/2019 10:06 am  #5

Is this a new thing - no box scores allowed for exhibition basketball games?  Neither the women's nor the men's games had box scores provided.   In a way I can see that, since the stats don't count toward season totals as far as I know, but it's a little frustrating especially since neither game was televised.    Also, did anyone get the tunein link to work?

11/02/2019 10:19 am  #6

The game broadcast "Livestats", which had the boxscore.

https://gwsports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/individual;team=home

Same with Woman's team at Mercyhurst site, but also on Livestats.

https://hurstathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-2020/george-washington-university/boxscore/10882

11/02/2019 1:04 pm  #7

why not at GW --- Tonya?

11/04/2019 11:52 am  #8

One other thing to add - based on this game, one of the keys will be how quickly do we move the ball. 

As LSF pointed out to me, we aren't a quick or fast team, but in the second half, the quicker we moved the ball, the more easily we generated open shots.  There isn't going to be a lot of one on one shot creation from this team (no DJ Williams to just shoot 16 foot fadeaways over his man), and other than Jameer, I'm not sure how often we'll be getting to the rim off penetration in the half court.  Thus, our offense will rely on quick ball movement, and people not just holding the ball. 

That'll be something to watch all season - if the ball stays still, we will stagnate because there's no one guy who can just consistently create; if the ball moves quickly, our offense should generate plenty of open shots. 

Watch for this tomorrow night on the road. 

11/04/2019 11:57 am  #9

Exactly FQ. 21 assists was good. The ball often stuck last year. JC will have much more movement and ball reversals in his offense. I expect our assist numbers to far exceed last year's. 

That said, this team will rise and fall depending on 3s since we don't have many slashers (Nelson and possibly Amir being main exceptions). So ball movement and movement off the ball will be critical to GW.

11/04/2019 1:09 pm  #10

And like any team that rises and falls on 3s, we will be streaky in games.  Expect to see plenty of in-game swings.  That's just the nature of the beast for a team that shoots a lot of threes, and something we as fans will have to adjust to (and not panic if we're down 8 to a team we should  be beating because the shots haven't fallen yet). 

11/04/2019 4:15 pm  #11

FQ, it seemed to me that they were intentionally trying to establish the outside game from the start, even if it meant GW was limiting themselves offensively.  I initially thought it was Coach Christian working on an element the team lacked experience in, but I wondered if it was more about making the opponent plan for the perimeter game and thus allowing GW to more easily exploit the interior (and speed up their offense) in the second half.  

GW was a completely different team offensively from the first to the second half.  Just my two cents.

11/04/2019 10:21 pm  #12

Sorry about the late write up.  I agree with most observations.   My biggest concern, at least for this game, was, as Free had already referenced, was how slow we were.  The first half was kinda painful to watch.  Hood College was tiny.  We had them by several inches at nearly all positions.  But they seemed accustomed to playing larger teams and played accordingly...at least in the first half.   On defense, we were slow on the rotation, which allowed them to repeatedly shoot uncontested shots.   On offense, we were unable to take advantage of our size advantage, rotated the ball slowly, and had to settle for for contested shots as the shot clock ran down, with some shot clock violations.   We were not able to get the ball into the paint, where Toro could have scored at will.   I don't recall any fast break points.  During the second half, it was like a completely different team was out there.   We ran, rotated the ball well, and got many easy looks and uncontested layups.  It was a game that was to be won not by coaching, but more like letting the team go out there and take advantage of their superior size and skill level...which they did that second half.   Individually, no need to repeat what has been said about Nelson, who put on quite a remarkable second half show.  I am not sure that I am sold on him as a point guard yet...more of an undersized 2.  I had earlier compared him to Mo. Rice.  Will stick with that comparison for now.  If you like Mazzulla and Jack last year, you should again like them this year.  Still think Maceo has all conference potential.   As for Justin, like him more as a role player off the bench than as a starting "2" guard.   As many have been saying, Mezzie began to display his freshman to sophmore "jump".  Many holes in his game (turnovers, not so great hands, etc), but he looks like he belongs on the Court.  Like Justin, would prefer to see him as a role player off the bench.   Of course it is great having Toro back on the Court.  He remains a double/double machine.    Potter didn't show much.  Came of the bench and didn't do anything bad....or good.   Was surprised to see walk on Ace Stallings get early minutes.  Got some rebounds, but again....he is 6'10" playing against an undersized team.   I thought Javy played ok off the bench, and may be headed for the role I think that will best suit him, namely 10-15 minutes per game off the bench.   Was surprised (disappointed?) that one of the frosh, Shawn Walker Jr., only played in garbage time.     Also disappointed that we didn't get to see Jamison Battle or Chase Paar, two frosh recovering from injuries.
In the end, given the margin of victory and the second half by Nelson, it was hard not to be excited, but still, it was against a division III school whose tallest player was a 6'6" freshman.

11/05/2019 9:57 am  #13

A couple of things going on. First, GW was playing plain vanilla. Why? A new coach with a new team ... the only thing on film was going to be this game for Towson. So it was the perfect set-up. Play a D3 who will only zone you. Don't believe Hood played one possession of man. This gives us a little competitive advantage on the scout. We still have to play tonight but every little bit helps.

Second, we looked slow because we had bigger guys trying to chase smaller quick guys. That won't be the match-up tonight.

Board footera