GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2021 10:36 am  #1

Women in play-in game against GMU 4PM ET

Whitney made all defensive team, Brigham all rookie team.

3/10/2021 4:44 pm  #2

Re: Women in play-in game against GMU 4PM ET

Ahead at the half 37-32.   Both sides hitting their 3's at over 50%.

3/10/2021 5:11 pm  #3

Another coach that has to go. 

3/10/2021 5:59 pm  #4

Women win against a10 winless GMU 62-56.   Shooting cooled off for both teams.  Can anybody tell me what's happen to Luma?  She's just been non existent recently.  BTW, I agree with TC.

Last edited by BC (3/10/2021 6:00 pm)

3/10/2021 6:08 pm  #5

This was a better version of George Mason than we've seen in the two previous games. Not only did they start out red hot, they maintained their composure and made a number good plays in critical situations of the second half. I guess they played like they had nothing to lose.

Taiwo had perhaps her best game as a Colonial, as she was a consistent threat in the paint, scoring a game high 17 pts, but was all over the court defensively and on the boards. Nikitinaite had another nice offensive game with 16 pts, making a number of clutch shots to quell a few George Mason runs. 

Maybe we should have had an easier time with this game, but GM was playing well, and GW countered by playing well for the great part of the game. An earlier version of GW's team would not have won this game. The improvements of late, especially with the team offense, have  been stark. There were a few sequences of passing the ball around and ending up with an open 3 pointer or a pass to a cutting Taiwo that ended up in a score -- it made me wish that the men's team had some offensive sets like that.

Richmond is a pretty good team. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

3/10/2021 6:42 pm  #6

GW played better than usual in the 4th to avoid their too frequent 4th quarter meltdown, like they had against Fordham.  Good switch to full court pressure in the last few minutes to slow down Mason and upset whatever rhythm they had.  And nice double team near midcourt to force Mason to use a time out.  Doster fouling out helped.  Brigham did nice job going straight up twice for short baskets and not giving the ref a chance to call an offensive foul.  And great hustle from Taiwo to disrupt a Mason fast break.
It would have been nice to beat Fordham for a quality win.  And then today would have been double figure win.  
I've watched a lot of UMass games and several GW games, especially recently.  They were unwatchable for a stretch.  So have seen several A10 teams.  I thought Jasmine Whitney deserved 3rd team All Conference besides the All Conference Defense team.  Any thoughts?

Last edited by WMC (3/10/2021 6:43 pm)

3/10/2021 10:32 pm  #7

Is that 5 wins in a row for the GW Women??

3/11/2021 8:42 am  #8

After winning 4 in a row against lower tier teams, GW lost to Fordham last Thursday in what was officially a non-conference game.  Added to schedule so both teams could get another game in before tournament.  Richmond, 12 - 8, game is at 8 pm tonight.  Have lost to them twice.

3/11/2021 9:50 am  #9

Welcome aboard WMC.

Board footera