GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2021 2:05 pm  #1

Transfer: Ira Lee, Forward, 2017 - Transferring from Arizona

Ira Lee
Year: 2017
Position: PF
Height: 6-8
Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
High School: Crossroads School (Santa Monica, CA)
AAU Team: Oakland Soldiers (CA)

Eligibility: Grad transfer; one year of immediate eligibility

Offers (out of high school): Arizona State, Auburn, California, Connecticut, Kansas, Maryland, Oregon, San Francisco, Texas, Tulsa, UCLA, USC

Statistics (from freshman year at Arizona): 27 GP, 10.2 mpg; 2.4 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.4 bpg, 0.2 spg; 46% FG, 50% 3-pt, 60% FT
               (from sophomore year at Arizona): 31 GP, 17.9 mpg; 6.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg 0.5 apg, 0.7 bpg, 0.2 spg; 62% FG, 64% FT
               (from junior year at Arizona): 32 GP, 13 mpg; 3.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.3 bpg, 0.5 spg; 53% FG, 53% FT
               (from senior year at Arizona): 23 GP, 10.4 mpg; 3 ppg, 3 rpg. 0.3 apg, 0.3 bpg, 0.2 spg; 55% FG, 74% FT

Best Performances: 12/5/20 vs. Eastern Washington (7 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocks; 2-5 FG, 3-3 FT in 20 minutes) (Last Year)
2/24/19 vs. Stanford (16 points, 5 rebounds; 6-7 FG, 4-4 FT in 20 minutes) (Career Best)

Ira will be providing some much needed experience up front and a guy who was arguably one of the best defenders on Arizona over his four year career. Lee was a top 100 player in the 2017 recruiting class. Funnily enough, one of his best performances in HS was against a school named George Washington (HS in San Francisco) where he went for 31 points. His dad was a former RB/DB for the Los Angeles Raiders.

Welcome to the buff and blue Ira!

Links
247Sports
Game Log
Twitter Account
Verbal Commits

GW Commitment Tweet

Last edited by dmvpiranha (3/26/2021 9:29 pm)

3/26/2021 2:27 pm  #2

Re: Transfer: Ira Lee, Forward, 2017 - Transferring from Arizona

The first of several! Congrats to both JC and Ira Lee.

3/26/2021 2:36 pm  #3

One year of eligibility left or two since this year being a freebie?  Any insight on whether he'd like to stay for 1 year or 2?

3/26/2021 2:39 pm  #4

1 year

3/27/2021 8:21 am  #5

Compare to Zeek Armwood. Similar advanced stats on offensive and rebounding production. Lee’s a slightly better shooter, but doesn’t get to line as much as Zeek did. Zeek a slighter better shot-blocker, didn’t turn it over as much and fouled less. Guessing those last two stats are why Lee couldn’t hold on to his minutes.

Also, Korean-American. Do we get a flag for that? A split Flag?

Last edited by BM (3/28/2021 9:18 am)

3/27/2021 8:31 am  #6

That film room video was really cool.  We should produce something like that this offseason.

4/03/2021 7:11 pm  #7

Last edited by dmvpiranha (4/03/2021 7:11 pm)

4/04/2021 9:29 am  #8

Slept through a  "Terrorist Attack"?  My room mate in Madison Hall was an ex-Marine who just left Viet-Nam ('71). He said his position was overrun one night and he slept through it. Exhausted, he was oblivious to the attack. Guess the NVA just ran through the encampment. The riots around GW weren't too exciting to him.

Agree, a great interview.   

4/04/2021 11:15 am  #9

In my career I’ve sat across the room from hundreds of young men.This guy is really well put together
and more than that has a sensitive and kind disposition.Very impressive.Should be a great influence 
on team cohesion.

7/08/2021 10:50 am  #10

When reviewing the four-year stats of Ira Lee at the University of Arizona, several things caught my attention.  First and foremost is the fact that he played for four years there.  Ira was the only member of his five player recruiting class to stay at UA for four seasons (two of these players are in the NBA and one is a bit busy right now as a former overall #1 draft pick competing in the NBA Finals for the Phoenix Suns).  Next are the minutes played.   Do you want the good news or the bad news first?  The good news is that he averaged in double figures for minutes played in each of his 4 seasons.  The bad news is that he never averaged more than 18 minutes per game in any of these seasons.  The stats themselves are fairly pedestrian.  No double figure scoring games last season.  No double figure rebounding games in at least the last two seasons.

And yet, we should all be very excited about Ira Lee becoming a Colonial.  Which begs the obvious question, "why?"

I asked my UA contact why Ira did not log more time and his response was that he didn't know why.  He was a great pick setter but then head coach Sean Miller preferred to play more up tempo.  Speaking of Miller, here's what Ira's former coach had to say about him:

"Ira is a great kid.  He's one of the most popular players on all four teams that he's played on.  And trust me, there's a lot of guys that come and go during the 4 years he's been here.  So if you take inventory of what i just said, being a great teammate, really caring about the team that he's been a part of, respecting our basketball program, there are things that Ira gets an A+ in.  He's been a key contributor and has been able to impact each of the four teams that he's been on."

Many of you may have heard the wide-ranging interview with Ira that has been posted here.  This truly provides some insight as to what type of leader Ira is.  But if you need more, here's another anecdote.  As a freshman, Ira participated in a press conference, an occurrence which most freshmen are forbidden from partaking in.  rather than give the run-of-the-mill boilerplate type answers that come from the mouths of many athletes, Ira commented on how "quiet" this team had been.  Translation:  there's a lack of leadership on the court and this needs to get.
fixed.

One can readily understand a freshman's reluctance to take on a leadership role and the same can be said for a player joining a new team.  Tyler Cavanaugh was a great basketball player for GW but it was only in his second season that he emerged as a vocal and demonstrative leader.  The better comp here is likely to be Zeke Armwood.  Zeke was slated to be a tri-captain at Villanova had he stayed for his junior season, despite the fact that he had played sparingly over his first two seasons with no assurances of increased minutes during year 3.  Relying heavily on a quartet of freshmen along with Lasan Kromah (whose personality was not considered "natural leader" despite being a very nice guy), Zeke knew that his leadership would be essential for the team to improve and ultimately become successful. 

And this is what this team will be needing from Ira Lee.  A coach on the floor.  A cheerleader.  A motivator.  it would be a mistake to compare Ira's game to Zeke's (though with expanded playing time, it will be interesting to see how well Ira performs), but not at all a mistake to compare the importance of each player's leadership.  Matt Moyer was in a similar situation last season but quite frankly, Covid wreaked so much havoc on this team that all of the leadership in the world was not going to be enough to drastically change the team's results.

Ira was considered for a starting role at the start of last season but a concussion derailed those chances.  It was at least the second concussion Ira suffered at UA so this bears some concern.  Ira refers to himself as a baller in a football player's body, and there's no question that GW can use some bulk and swagger along its frontcourt.  Ira is not going to block shots like Yinka or pass like KevLar or shoot like Sasha Koul or perhaps dunk like Pops though he is said to be a pretty athletic dunker.  His numbers may continue to be modest.  And yet, his presence has the chance to be enormous for this particular team.

7/08/2021 3:48 pm  #11

I’ve seen him play many times. Forget the stats- the kid has real talent (and that’s setting aside the leadership).  Turnovers and fouls have been a problem (sometimes compounding something a turnover with a frustration foul).  But he’s been really close to breaking out, especially before he was stuck behind Ayton and Tubelis.  With more playing time, I have no doubt he can fix the little mistakes and be an outstanding player for us. 

To the Dayton Daily News, I highly doubt any A10 team with Ira Lee is finishing 13th.

7/12/2021 8:53 am  #12

FQ, am interested in learning more about your opinions given that you have seen Ira play many times.  (I'm guessing you stay up later than I do.)  I like the fact that he's been counted on to be a part of UA's rotation in each of his seasons.  I'll also add that it's not like GW needs to see enormous numbers out of Ira to feel his impact.  Do you see him being a 25+ minute, 10+ point, 7+ rebounder for GW?  Do you see him as someone who will set great picks to free up shooters and alter shots defensively?  Of course one's stats will be negatively impacted when playing behind others but even with this being the case, is it concerning that he played fewer than 18 minutes per game in each of his four seasons?  Do you think his health (concussions) had much to do with this?

7/12/2021 7:06 pm  #13

If he is 100% healthy, he is the bellweather arrival. And that is both for the 2021-22 Colonials and JC in general. Not to put any pressure on him, but if a four-year Pac12 player cannot make this GW a better team then I am not sure there is much point to fielding a team under the current management. He is not a favour to a Pac12 coach (Rasheed Hazzard) or a "Big 5" cast off (Regis Koundjia) but a legit letterwinner here to play his grad year (and hopefully earn credits toward a postgrad degree). I have the full expectation he will have a Mo Creek-esque impact, because if he does not I am going to start to lose faith.

7/14/2021 7:41 am  #14

Gwmayhem wrote:

FQ, am interested in learning more about your opinions given that you have seen Ira play many times.  (I'm guessing you stay up later than I do.)  I like the fact that he's been counted on to be a part of UA's rotation in each of his seasons.  I'll also add that it's not like GW needs to see enormous numbers out of Ira to feel his impact.  Do you see him being a 25+ minute, 10+ point, 7+ rebounder for GW?  Do you see him as someone who will set great picks to free up shooters and alter shots defensively?  Of course one's stats will be negatively impacted when playing behind others but even with this being the case, is it concerning that he played fewer than 18 minutes per game in each of his four seasons?  Do you think his health (concussions) had much to do with this?

His playing time depends on his ability to avoid foul trouble. That’s the biggest question I have.  I don’t know about how concussions may or may not have impacted him, but when looking at his minutes that as a freshman he was behind DeAndre Ayton.  As a junior, he was behind 1st round pick Zeke Nnaji, and this past year  he was behind Azuolid Tubelis (highly skilled big man who would have been a second round pick this year and will probably be a first round pick next year).  The one season he wasn’t behind an NBA big, his sophomore year, he was behind Duke transfer Chase Jeter… but by the end of the season, he actually wrested the starting job from Jeter and was playing well over 20 minutes per game.

I do think he can be a 10-7 guy for us, and yes I see him setting screens, blocking shots, and rebounding.  I don’t think he’s going to be a big back to the basket threat, but his ability to stick a 10 footer should give him some ability to contribute beyond dunks and putbacks. 

It’s also worth noting that the year he wasn’t stuck behind an nba big, where he played the most, was also his most productive season. In PAC12 games, he played more a over 20 mpg and was excellent.  He had an ortg of 117 in PAC12 games, he was top 10 in the PAC12 in offensive boards %,, top 20 in defensive boards %,  and 6th in block %.  Also cut WAY down on his turnovers.  He also shot 63% (but that’s because he’s mostly dunking or shooting open short shots. 

I bring of those stats only because it suggests that he is a guy who may just need consistent playing time to show what he can really do.

7/14/2021 9:34 am  #15

I have reason to believe Ira Lee is going to be one of the three leaders of the team: Bishop, Lindo and Lee. Ira has quick feet for a big guy.

7/14/2021 10:15 am  #16

It's an unusual dynamic to watch a newcomer to a team become it's vocal leader.  This team is primed to be an exception because there are so many newcomers.  With one year of eligibility remaining and given his personality, I suspect Ira will embrace this role.  Brendan Adams will be one of the older players on this team and I can also foresee him being a sought after mentor to some of the younger players. 

FQ, am encouraged by your remarks.  GW has had a pretty good track record with transfers who have come from major programs and am hopeful that Ira, Joe and Brendan continue along these lines.  

7/14/2021 1:54 pm  #17

Gwmayhem wrote:

GW has had a pretty good track record with transfers who have come from major programs and am hopeful that Ira, Joe and Brendan continue along these lines.  

I count GW's successful high major transfers-in on one hand: Regis, Kavanaugh, Armwood, Creek. Maybe you could count Bishop once he get us to the tournament. 

Balanced out against Wynton Witherspoon, Cheyenne Moore, DJ Williams and Jaren Sina.

Our transfer-outs have had much more success (granted at lower programs), including David Pellom, Nick Griffin, Savage, Offurum, Roland, Collin Smith, Marfo, Jorgensen, etc.

Not sure it's all that accurate GW is winning the transfer game, but it's probably doing the best it can given its self-inflicted wounds.

7/14/2021 3:30 pm  #18

Mentz, am not sure I am convinced that Witherspoon or Sina were terrible players for GW.  Witherspoon was accused of a heinous act off of the court and of course played on shitty teams.  But I think of his play as being fairly solid.  Sina of course was greatly impacted by the coaching change and undoubtedly would have been more productive under NL's tutelage.  Nevertheless, he was a steadying influence for MoJo.  Cheyenne and DJ both never met a shot that they didn't take.  

My pretty good track record statement was made with the guys you've mentioned in mind.  Other than Regis, this represents the program's recent past insofar as players transferring down to us from major programs.  On the whole, I'd say that's a pretty good track record even when factoring the more recent transfers of DJ and Sina.

7/14/2021 4:22 pm  #19

Sina looked completely over-matched physically, slow, lacking any length or lift.  

Any list of high Major success stories transfers has to include James Bishop.

7/14/2021 4:55 pm  #20

I think you have to add Bob Tallent to list of outstanding transfers. Probably Magid as well.

Biggest loss was most likely Bernard Woodside.

I know, different eras.

Board footera