GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2021 6:59 pm  #101

Re: 2021-2022 Schedule

AT Hiker wrote:

We play in the tournament in Naples on the 11/22, 23 and 24. The other game in CA is San Diego. We really wanted to play South Carolina at home but they pushed the game back again. Notre Dame backed out of a game at the Smith Center after they saw who transferred into GW.

I saw us win at San Diego and lose (jobbed by the refs) at Pepperdine in late 1992. With our incoming talent, and two of our leading performers from last year, I'm looking for a sweep this time around.

7/22/2021 7:07 pm  #102

Good God that might be the saddest bracket I've ever seen. Can't even sugar coat it. If I wasn't invested in one of those teams I'd turn the channel. Is this even on TV? Might be a first for a couple of these names

7/22/2021 7:08 pm  #103

jf wrote:

Quite impressively an unimpressive tournament.
Not that we've been any good at all,but this is the best we can do?
This would hurt even CBI seeding.

Considering, we would be 8th-seeded based on last season, I would say GW should be lucky to get in this tournament. I doubt any of other teams in the tournament think it would be very special to beat GW. Before we start complaining about playing weak opponents, maybe we should win a few non-conference games. 

7/23/2021 12:09 pm  #104

Looking for a sweep Other MG?
I would certainly hope so being an A-10 team and playing low level Big West, WCC or WAC teams.
I guess we need to start climbing out of this hole we have been in the last 5 years before we can play any legit or BCS teams again.

7/23/2021 7:49 pm  #105

I'll take what I can get, and, while I wish we were playing better teams, I rarely get to games, and haven't seen them win in a long time.  I'm starving out here, and following this team through the MoJo and JC years from 2,700 miles away has been painful.

7/24/2021 8:48 am  #106

Very few of us have fond memories of the Presidential Classic, and I am one of them.  (Is my failing memory mistaken, or did they eventually rename it to the Red Auerbach Classic?).   For me, Thanksgiving Thursday, followed by college basketball double headers at the Smith center on Friday and Saturday, was as good as it got, even though admittedly the field always left something to be desired.    (Didn't we get a scare against Yale during one of those tournaments?).   Other than the Presidential Tournament, has there ever been a men's college basketball doubleheader at the Smitty?.    Would seem like a great idea to revise something to that effect.   A nice mid -major in a 4500 seat arena over a holiday break?   Maybe even something that would involve local D-1 schools.   It may not attract a Maryland or an ("our poop don't stink") Ge**getown, but maybe could have a field that would include Navy, American, Towson, JMU, ODU, UMBC, Howard, William and Mary, etc.)   Who knows...maybe even lure a Va Tech or a West Virginia.   Of course it may not have the allure of playing in Maui or in the Caribbean or be an RPI bonanza, but there seem to be plenty of low to mid major tournaments out there these days, so why not revive one at the Smith Center?  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (7/24/2021 8:50 am)

7/24/2021 9:53 am  #107

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Very few of us have fond memories of the Presidential Classic, and I am one of them.  (Is my failing memory mistaken, or did they eventually rename it to the Red Auerbach Classic?).   For me, Thanksgiving Thursday, followed by college basketball double headers at the Smith center on Friday and Saturday, was as good as it got, even though admittedly the field always left something to be desired.    (Didn't we get a scare against Yale during one of those tournaments?).     

Thanksgiving weekend 1988, GW opened its season at home with a LOSS to Yale. That was the first of what would become 27 losses that season. However, I think it was a one-off game and not a part of a multiple team event at the Smith Center.

7/24/2021 10:23 am  #108

Very few of us have fond memories of the Presidential Classic, and I am one of them.  (Is my failing memory mistaken, or did they eventually rename it to the Red Auerbach Classic?).   For me, Thanksgiving Thursday, followed by college basketball double headers at the Smith center on Friday and Saturday, was as good as it got, even though admittedly the field always left something to be desired.    (Didn't we get a scare against Yale during one of those tournaments?).   Other than the Presidential Tournament, has there ever been a men's college basketball doubleheader at the Smitty?.    Would seem like a great idea to revise something to that effect.   A nice mid -major in a 4500 seat arena over a holiday break?   Maybe even something that would involve local D-1 schools.   It may not attract a Maryland or an ("our poop don't stink") Ge**getown, but maybe could have a field that would include Navy, American, Towson, JMU, ODU, UMBC, Howard, William and Mary, etc.)   Who knows...maybe even lure a Va Tech or a West Virginia.   Of course it may not have the allure of playing in Maui or in the Caribbean or be an RPI bonanza, but there seem to be plenty of low to mid major tournaments out there these days, so why not revive one at the Smith Center?  

This is a nice thought LSF, but the notion of a Virginia Tech or a West Virginia having ten times as many fans as GW in our own building is both very real and very disappointing.  I'll also add that I don't ever want to see that Mountaineer and his weapon inside of the Smith Center ever again.

7/24/2021 10:45 am  #109

I can still hear that chant of "Let's go, Mountaineers" ringing out at the Smith Center.  I remember being at a game vs. West Virginia in the early 1980s, sitting way up high behind one of the end zones (may have been my last year before becoming a season ticket holder).   Needless to say, it was a very loud and very  packed house, with the the usual large contingent of Mountaineer fans,  and, as they say in song, "the joint was jumpin".  I seem to remember Mike Brown having a monster game.  I don't recall if that was his 40 point game.  I don't even recall who won the game.   But for me, seeing a game such as this, as well as various and sundry other meaningful games at full houses over the years (especially Jarvis, Hobbs and Longergan) and the hope that we will return to that level one day remains the heroin that lures me back, year after year.   A loud,packed Smith Center, with the fans so close to the court, was one hell of a home court advantage.   I will end this post with a sigh.

7/24/2021 11:14 am  #110

Naples Tournament website is up.  It's being played at a local gym a couple of miles from the recommended hotel.  I've stayed at the Naples Grande previously and it's very nice, but there are lots of options and potential discounts, so shop wisely. 

http://naplesinvitational.com

7/24/2021 5:19 pm  #111

There are virtually no on campus tourneys any more.  The changes to scheduling rules advantage those neutral court “exempt” tourneys that let you count only one game toward your schedule but play 2-4.  Other than like Hawaii, these are basically all neutral tourneys.

Also, FWIW, I don’t recall a presidential classic.  Maybe that was before my time. I do remember the Red Auerbach as a great event with two virtually guaranteed wins for GW generally to open the year.

And I remember the President’s Day game ESPN used to televise every year in the early 90s when it would be GW vs James Madison on Presidents’ Day.  Always enjoyed that, in part because we were rarely on National tv back then.

7/24/2021 5:52 pm  #112

When I was manager, '71-'72, recall that Texas A&M won the Presidential Classic. Shelby Metcalf was the A&M coach -- very nice guy. But not a great "classic."  

7/24/2021 6:14 pm  #113

Like the Red Auerbach in retrospect because at least we would win against handpicked lesser teams,rather than be thumped in more recent years.

7/24/2021 7:02 pm  #114

There are virtually no on campus tourneys any more.  The changes to scheduling rules advantage those neutral court “exempt” tourneys that let you count only one game toward your schedule but play 2-4.  Other than like Hawaii, these are basically all neutral tourneys.

Also, FWIW, I don’t recall a presidential classic.  Maybe that was before my time. I do remember the Red Auerbach as a great event with two virtually guaranteed wins for GW generally to open the year.

And I remember the President’s Day game ESPN used to televise every year in the early 90s when it would be GW vs James Madison on Presidents’ Day.  Always enjoyed that, in part because we were rarely on National tv back then.

7/25/2021 4:28 am  #115

I believe Troy Webster had a behind the back assist to Brownie for the monster dunk to seal it.  Or I could be making the whole thing up.  It was too long ago and there was too much Southern Comfort.

7/28/2021 12:43 pm  #116

D1 docket lists a game @ charlotte at date tbd and Radford on 12/13

Last edited by GW18 (7/28/2021 12:45 pm)

8/02/2021 9:30 am  #117

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1422200889943773184

Non-conference schedule released today at 1 PM

8/02/2021 12:11 pm  #119

It's out.  It's pretty bad.  Rising, since you said that it wouldn't be the best OOC schedule ever but it wouldn't be the worst one either, maybe you can let me know which one or ones have been worse.

6 home games...I haven't looked anything up but at first glance, it looks like either Boston or Radford would be the big games.  

Less than a 48 hour window between playing at Maryland and at San Diego?  That sounds barbaric.

Sure, the program needs wins.  Needs a new culture.  I get it.  If this schedule doesn't do the trick, I am not sure what schedule would.  

8/02/2021 12:29 pm  #120

The turnaround from the College Park CC to the UCSD road games is harsh, I can only hope there is a non-stop from BWI leaving right after the game against the Twerps. At least UCSD is barely Division I (still transitioning up, I think), so that game might not be a jetlagged blowout loss. Otherwise, few home games to get pumped up for but a couple of attractive fixures (home and away), the aftermentioned game against the suburban couch burning zone, UNC-C, the return of BU to the Smith Center and a trip to some nice weather out west.
Overall, a meh+ or OK-

Board footera