GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2021 6:30 pm  #81

Re: Recruit: Tafara Gapare, Forward, 2022 - (Committed to Massachusetts)

Steven Adams hanging with the players according to insta.  Presumably checking out the school for Tafara.   Good sign.

8/21/2021 10:55 am  #82

More highlights

Last edited by BM (8/21/2021 11:00 am)

8/22/2021 9:06 pm  #83

Not the kind of post we want to  see. Hopefully still coming to GW.  

[color=inherit]Stevie Cozens[/color][/url][url=https://twitter.com/StevieCozens]@StevieCozens[/url] Tafara Gapare is one of the best international prospects in the 2022 class. Not sure where he is going next season - but at 6’9 with guard skills, and incredible shot blocking ability, he will have plenty of suitors.Quote Tweet   [color=inherit]nextup ballerz[/color] @nextupballerz· =inherit3hHere's our first Single Game Highlights of up and coming talent Tafara Gapare @GapareTafara from @scotscollegenz @NZBALLACADEMY Class 2022 #nbadraftclass2022 #nbadraft #scotscollege #Ballislife #nzhoopsShow this thread    [color=inherit]Watch again[/color]      351 views2:20 / 2:20         7:03 PM · Aug 22, 2021=inherit·Twitter for iPhone [url=https://twitter.com/StevieCozens/status/1429579944661688329/likes]3[/url][url=https://twitter.com/StevieCozens/status/1429579944661688329/likes]Likes[/url]                    Tweet your reply  [color=inherit]Reply[/color]       [url=https://twitter.com/Aaronviles7][color=inherit]Aaron viles[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/Aaronviles7]@Aaronviles7[/url]·18m Replying to[url=https://twitter.com/StevieCozens]@StevieCozensWhat happened to George Washington ?

Last edited by Florida Colonial (8/22/2021 9:07 pm)

8/23/2021 7:07 am  #84

8/23/2021 9:01 am  #85

There is nothing to explain yet. He is still committed to GW as I write this to everyone's knowledge.. Has to do more with getting the necessary paperwork in order (international kids are harder to get through the Clearinghouse and Admissions).. He still may re-class as a 2022. 

8/23/2021 10:31 am  #86

This is a bit concerning.  Stevie Cozens appears to be a basketball journalist in New Zealand who has been singing Tafare's praises from the beginning.  He seems to have changed his tune from "GW is getting a great one" to "someone will be lucky to have him."  He may very well still be committed to GW, to GW's knowledge.  But then why is Cozens changing the messaging on this?

Two possible theories...

1) Tafare has blown up ability-wise.  He is being advised to either turn pro or play at a more competitive collegiate program to better prepare him for the pros.

2) Seemed like JC tag-teamed with Nima on the recruiting effort.  With Nima gone, does this change Tafare's desire to play for GW?

GWRising, it would be helpful to know more than simply "he's still a GW commit."  Are we as a program still in touch with him?  How often?  When was the last time?  Has anything been expressed to suggest that there is a possibility he will change his mind?

I have no idea how much weight to give to Cozens, but it's a bit curious that he's now gone from GW is getting him to he can wind up anywhere.

8/23/2021 11:26 am  #87

Gwmayhem wrote:

This is a bit concerning.  Stevie Cozens appears to be a basketball journalist in New Zealand who has been singing Tafare's praises from the beginning.  He seems to have changed his tune from "GW is getting a great one" to "someone will be lucky to have him."  He may very well still be committed to GW, to GW's knowledge.  But then why is Cozens changing the messaging on this?

Two possible theories...

1) Tafare has blown up ability-wise.  He is being advised to either turn pro or play at a more competitive collegiate program to better prepare him for the pros.

2) Seemed like JC tag-teamed with Nima on the recruiting effort.  With Nima gone, does this change Tafare's desire to play for GW?

GWRising, it would be helpful to know more than simply "he's still a GW commit."  Are we as a program still in touch with him?  How often?  When was the last time?  Has anything been expressed to suggest that there is a possibility he will change his mind?

I have no idea how much weight to give to Cozens, but it's a bit curious that he's now gone from GW is getting him to he can wind up anywhere.

Well let's put it this way unless Tafara has changed his mind in the last 96 hours I believe he is still committed.

8/24/2021 7:22 pm  #88

Nima's at it again

Travis Branham @TravisBranham_ 1h
Zach Riley, the youth player of the year in the NBL in New Zealand, has committed to Kyle Neptune and the Fordham Rams, source tells @247Sports.
The 6-5 guard shot 40% from three while averaging double digit scoring figures.

Riley will be a 2021 mid-season enrollee.

8/24/2021 8:04 pm  #89

This is so much more fun than Dan Gadzuric and Erik Copes. Possibly more like Allen Iverson.

8/25/2021 7:37 am  #90

Count me as one of the concerned fans.  We went from a guy committed to this year, to a guy coming in the Spring to a guy committed for 2022.  All while the narrative of the local folks reporting on him has changed from GW to a more open possibility.  I'd love nothing more than to see him at GW, and believe it would be a great fit for him.  And the fact that JC got the commitment (whether it be with Nima or not) is a good sign.  But it would be particularly disappointing to lose out on him.  The fact that he was committed 96 hours ago does not give me great hope or cause for optimism.  Until he is here, I'll be worried.

8/25/2021 8:40 am  #91

Danjsport, it's understandable for reasons having nothing to do with this specific situation, let alone the real circumstances.

When Jarvis was the first to reach out to AI and was seemingly in the catbird seat, JTII swooped in.
When the school was ready to take a chance with Ritchie Parker, the backlash was enough to change course.
When GW finished off an undefeated conference season in 2005-06, the headline in the next day's Washington Post was all about recruits from fraudulent prep schools.
When GW was primed for a big run in the 2005-06 NCAA Tournament, it "drew" overall #1 seed Duke in the second round, in Greensboro.
When GW won the NIT, the first news regarding Lonergan-Nero publicly broke almost immediately after the victory.

This is more than an inability to sustain a consistently winning program.  It's about a school who while they may say are into big-time competitive sports, has often retreated at the first sign of controversy.  At GW, it's always been better to stay out of the limelight and avoid any scrutiny at the cost of taking a chance on something very good happening.  For example, what if the school had taken the stance that recruits like Omar, JR and Maureece were perfectly legal and justified?  Academic standards would not have been artificially inflated, players like Jeremy Wise would have played at GW, and who knows how much more success KH could have achieved at GW.

This is why those special moments...taking a second half lead at the Sweet 16 against Michigan, knocking off Michigan State and Maryland on consecutive days, winning two A10 Championship games, the 16-0 clinching win over Charlotte and the first round thrill ride against UNCW, taking off the nets at MSG, are so incredibly special for GW fans.  You somehow know it's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts.

We all know not to believe everything you read on the internet.  The hope of course is that GWRising is correct.  But yes, I'd say there's at least a reason for concern, even if past events having nothing to do with this specific recruit are any indication. 

8/25/2021 11:29 am  #92

The only way I would feel ok about Gapare not coming over would be if he decided to start his pro career and play in the NBL.

Any other result would be a gut punch.

8/25/2021 4:53 pm  #93

Ok everyone should just calm down. First there is an old adage in recruiting that until a player enrolls anything is possible and even after that anything is possible lol. That said, I have fairly good information and nothing has changed as far as his commitment. That's not a guarantee that it can't or won't change but there is nothing right now to suggest that it will change. As I said I could look like a fool in 24 hours so I would never say never but let's wait for some actual news (and not speculation) before we start the hand wringing.

8/25/2021 5:09 pm  #94

Rising, that is asking a lot from this crowd - waiting another year to see what actually happens!

9/01/2021 7:07 pm  #95

Not trying to be an alarmist and there are people on here that know a lot more about what is going on in the program, but I saw this and I thought it was worth posting.

https://twitter.com/StevieCozens/status/1432899974270898179?s=20
 Take look at this thread.

Most importantly this (below) discussion under the
above post 

[color=inherit]Aaron viles[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/Aaronviles7]@Aaronviles7[/url]·19h Replying to[url=https://twitter.com/StevieCozens]@StevieCozensJust waiting for the announcement of the that D1 programme…  [color=inherit]1[/color]       

[color=inherit]Stevie Cozens[/color][/url][url=https://twitter.com/StevieCozens]@StevieCozens·19h Don't hold your breath mate  [color=inherit]1[/color]   

[color=inherit]1[/color]       [color=inherit]Aaron viles[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/Aaronviles7]@Aaronviles7·19h Haha fair enough. If you had your last $2 where you putting it on his next step?  [color=inherit]1[/color]     
     [color=inherit]Stevie Cozens[/color][/url][url=https://twitter.com/StevieCozens]@StevieCozens·19h Pro      [color=inherit]1[/color]   

9/01/2021 7:20 pm  #96

If he comes, he comes. But I’ve already eliminated the notion from my thinking that he’ll end up  in Foggy Bottom.

9/01/2021 7:29 pm  #97

It would stink for sure but you can't really be mad at him or think it makes the school look bad if the kid decides to go pro if given the chance.

9/02/2021 9:09 am  #98

I think where he would decide to go pro would factor into how I would feel about it.  If he stayed in NZ, for example, and played in a pro league there, I'm not sure what the point in that would be (if he's anywhere near as good as advertised).  If he ends up in the NBA, G-League, or in a competitive overseas league, it would be hard to find fault in that.

Should he play at a US college, this is an interesting dilemma.  Would he be better off at a high major?  Better chance at helping to lead a team to a championship but also more of a risk that he would not end up being the one carrying the team on his shoulders.  At a program like ours, he would most probably end up being the focal point but even a first round loss at the dance would not look great on his resume (while many of us would sign up for this outcome in a minute)..

My mother-in-law was fond of saying "don't expect and you won't be disappointed."  Pretty sage advice as far as this situation is concerned.  

9/02/2021 9:28 am  #99

I’m taking the same view as Poog and GWMayhem.  Btw your mother in law’s advice is perfect in this situation.

9/02/2021 11:10 am  #100

Looks like he was drafted by a pro team in a 3x3 league, but like as a developmental player which won't affect his eligibility.  Having said that, my base assumption is that he's not coming here.  Fordham may have a better chance than we do.

Board footera