GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2021 5:54 am  #1

Collin Smith finds a home

[color=inherit]Sean Paul[/color][/url] [url=https://twitter.com/SeanPaulCBB]@SeanPaulCBB[/url]·6h One hell of an addition for NC A&T. Smith posted 12 & 6 for UCF in 2019-20. Dazzling playmaker Kam Langley returns. sharpshooting wing Demetric Horton comes in. Experienced guard David Beatty joins too. NC A&T will be highly competitive in their first year in the Big South.Quote Tweet   [color=inherit]Jason Beede[/color]@therealBeede· =inheritOct 1Former #UCF forward Collin Smith announces on Instagram he's transferring to North Carolina A&T to continue his basketball career. Smith, who didn't play last season, led the Knights in scoring 2019-20.Show this thread  [url=https://twitter.com/therealBeede/status/1443915970561646597/photo/1]

10/06/2021 7:09 am  #2

Re: Collin Smith finds a home

Best of luck to Collin!

10/06/2021 7:16 am  #3

Loved this kid's upside. One of the better big men to come through GW this century IMO.

10/06/2021 8:52 am  #4

Really interesting landing spot.  Collin comes in along with LaSalle transfer David Beatty and another transfer with the sense that they are looking to make a big splash in the Big South.  On the other hand, that conference was owned last season by Winthrop who finished 23-2 overall.  It will not be a cakewalk to get to the Dance.

10/06/2021 3:07 pm  #5

Good luck to Collin. I think he could end up overseas once his college career is over

10/06/2021 5:56 pm  #6

First off, congratulations to Collin, who played well against Duke and helped his team beat VCU and nearly beat Duke in the NCAA's. For reference, playing VCU in recent year is scary for us and beating Duke is nearly unimaginable (though would love it one day). Those are very polite terms.
  The last season he played at UCF in a league last year RPI ranked equal in rank to the ACC and a full five spots ahead of us, Collin averaged 13 points and 6 rebounds in under 30 minutes.
  If we had a player like Collin transfer in and be healthy, we would be absolutely thrilled with landing him. Hope we tried to court him, though the Mojo stink probably would be too much to overcome even under new management. Frankly, given our situation, be more than happy with a rebounder like Marfo this season, much less the post player Collin Smith is.
    We are going nuts over the loss of Ira Lee, who never played a minute at GW. Ira's stats in 2019-20 were an average of 3 points and 3 rebounds, while again, Collin averaged nearly 13 points and more than 6 rebounds. Last season, Ira averaged the same 3 points and 3 rebounds. I join in bemoaning the injury to Ira and our need for a big man, while hoping for him to rejoin us next season. He certainly has potential and could possibly be a real contributor.

Last edited by jf (10/06/2021 6:03 pm)

10/06/2021 8:23 pm  #7

Good luck Collin! NC A&T is one of the better-funded HBCUs, and they definitely seem to be committed towards athletics as the move to the Big South would suggest. Hampton, who made the same transition from the MEAC to the Big South has definitely held their own so far - they are 26-26 in conference games through three seasons. Winthrop probably remains on top for now, but with Kelsey departing for Charleston they are probably not as dominant this year (no disrespect to Prosser though, he did a respectable job at Western Carolina, a school that has one of the lowest budgets in D1 - I don't blame him for bolting).

“An opportunity to come and play for one of the most recognized HBCUs in the country? A chance that I couldn’t pass up,” he told HBCU Gameday. “I’ve done the PWI experience and it went well, but I thought it would be a great choice to finish out my collegiate experience with my people.”

https://hbcugameday.com/2021/10/01/nc-at-lands-big-man-transfer-collin-smith/

10/06/2021 9:47 pm  #8

Good find. Well that explains it. They also landed a four star recruit,which is better than us.

Board footera