GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/28/2021 9:47 pm  #1

Season tickets

Hey everyone - long time lurker first time poster and forever GW fan (dual grad!). I am wondering what people’s experience has been this off-season getting their season tickets. I’ve tried at least 3-4 times to work with the ticketing office to secure season tickets and have either been ignored or told that I am on a list and they will get to me. I am begging GW to take my money and they just have not done a good job of taking it. My friend and I have been going to games for a decade since we finished undergrad and this might be the first time ever the office has just been shitting the bed frankly when it comes to season tickets. Anyone have a similar experience? I would guess they’d want my money but maybe not.

10/28/2021 11:16 pm  #2

Re: Season tickets

IvoryTower wrote:

Hey everyone - long time lurker first time poster and forever GW fan (dual grad!). I am wondering what people’s experience has been this off-season getting their season tickets. I’ve tried at least 3-4 times to work with the ticketing office to secure season tickets and have either been ignored or told that I am on a list and they will get to me. I am begging GW to take my money and they just have not done a good job of taking it. My friend and I have been going to games for a decade since we finished undergrad and this might be the first time ever the office has just been shitting the bed frankly when it comes to season tickets. Anyone have a similar experience? I would guess they’d want my money but maybe not.

Your experience is unfortunate but not totally unexpected given that the experienced ticket manager, Anjuwon Spence, left GW for a position at Penn State right before the start of the season ticket renewal process. I had a little issue with a credit that appeared in my account, called the ticket office, and had a pleasant conversation that explained the situation and completed my ticket renewal with complete ease. I have always given GW ticket office and personnel, both full-time and fill-ins, a wide latitude in getting things right. They have always been understaffed and multi-task burdened. Reality is that this is not a major operation and realistically shouldn’t be expected to be functioning like one. No excuse for poor or surly service but I think we can all cut them a break while being persistent in getting our ticket situation squared away. Not sure if they’ve hired a ticket person replacement yet but eventually they will have someone or add the responsibility to an existing person with the proverbial GW atta boy/girl without proper renumeration for the additional work. Hang in there. Exhibition game is Monday but regular season doesn’t start until November 9.

Last edited by Poog (10/28/2021 11:19 pm)

10/29/2021 7:11 am  #3

I have been a ticket holder for more than a half century. I had the same experience as IvoryTower. Finally, I wrote to Tonya Vogel explaining the road blocks. Shortly, thereafter I received a call from a new hire who is in charge of ticket sales. He handled my account seamlessly .  I believe we will see a very empty Smith Center this year. GW  must have people answer the phones, take credit card info over the phones and be prepared to send paper copies for renewals to those fans who request them. They must do better.

10/29/2021 8:18 am  #4

I just renewed my season tickets.  Silly me was waiting for an invoice from GW, however the renewal link was sent to me via email a few days back. Even then, the renewal process was an adventure.  Actual tickets will not be issued, but rather sent by electronically or by email.   Same with Colonial Club passes.   I realize that with uncertainties caused by Covid that there would be some delay, but not sending out the actual renewals until October 20th???   See everyone later to day for the open practice and Q & A session.

10/29/2021 9:58 am  #5

Yeah, its a bush league operation.  I tried to use the website/portal/whatever to renew 2 of my tickets, but found it completely unworkable.  Maybe I am just getting old.  I was able to get through on the phone to the ticket office on the second try and they set me up.  

The one thing I thought was crazy, that probably affected only me, is the pep band situation.  I had season tickets in Section 219 for almost 10 years.  In 2019, without warning, they move the pep band from their location in the student section, to right next to me in Section 220.  Sadly, the years of punk shows have taken their toll on my ears, and it was just too loud there, so we had to have our seats moved to the other side.  They did that with no problem, which I appreciated.  Fast forward to this year, and I look at the map they provide with the seating sections, and it shows the band in the student section again.  When I initially called to ask to see where to renew my season tickets, they didn't know at first and then they let me know that the bad was going to be back in Section 220 again.  While its fine (we got seats on the other side of the gym again) its crazy that the people in charge of seating didn't know where an entire section of people were going to be, and can't reflect that in their marketing materials.  

10/29/2021 10:25 am  #6

I too had trouble with the website. As a millennial it pained me I couldn’t just re-up my tix online. Guess I should consider myself lucky I got a call back the next day.

10/29/2021 10:41 am  #7

I've been trying to renew my Raise High Passes again and that's not even active yet.  On 10/12 Andy Ruge said it would be available the next week, and earlier this week I was told it's still not ready.  Very frustrating!

10/29/2021 10:44 am  #8

It took a little poking around, but I was able to use the website to renew. I too wish the younger folks I have interacted were not casual when it is me trying to pay them.

However, besides the generational preferences I have found people willing to help; so I'd keep calling the ticket office. Also, try to ping Jennifer Montgomery.

10/29/2021 11:03 am  #9

People who call the box office get a recorded message saying people are working from home and check messages twice a day.  This is an odd procedure for heavy renewal time.

Anyway, I paid and am now waiting word on how the tickets will be  sent to me electronically 

10/29/2021 11:12 am  #10

I tried several times last weekend to renew online and kept getting an error message, but tried again on Monday and did it with no problem. They must have been having technical issues over the weekend.

10/29/2021 12:47 pm  #11

supply side issues oops or is that supply line issues.   I've had to wait in line for meds at my pharmacy for over 30 minutes twice in the last two weeks.  I think it's a bigger issue than just GW tickets, but at least after 6 months of complaining the Red Cross online signup is working for Firefox.  Not quite so for the official site where it's click spaces and it's banners still don't line up for Firefox, though they do for Chrome (and I assume Edge).    Now if someone would send me a couple of million dollars - I'll be happier for a while. 

10/29/2021 8:05 pm  #12

Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences and suggestions. Miraculously, after posting this last night, I received a note from the athletic department. Anjuwon will be sorely missed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Smith this year!

10/29/2021 10:20 pm  #13

Anyone know when the electronic tickets will be sent?  Was thinking of making the trip for the exhibition but don’t want to head down without the Tix

10/30/2021 8:22 am  #14

PKGW wrote:

Anyone know when the electronic tickets will be sent? Was thinking of making the trip for the exhibition but don’t want to head down without the Tix

The school is aware of the urgency and is working on it this weekend.   They have a record of all purchases so nobody who has purchased a season ticket plan will be turned away on Monday because their tickets have not yet arrived.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (10/30/2021 8:22 am)

10/30/2021 3:07 pm  #15

Thanks LSF.

11/04/2021 10:03 am  #16

After following up on the Raise High Pass, which allowed you to choose whatever seats were available 2 days before the game in 2019, I finally received a response from the ticket office.  The pass now allows GW to pick seats for you, for the same price as before, with no guarantee of the best available seats (something about keeping inventory open, which makes total sense given how people are beating down the doors to see this team lose home games to Morgan State).  The price is the same as before.  What a bargain!  My buddy and I are now no longer season ticket holders, so good job GW!  

11/04/2021 2:24 pm  #17

Hope you very pointedly tell those in the GW athletic dept administration why you aren't buying seats, Ross-Man.
We shouldn't be losing any season ticketholders.

11/04/2021 2:54 pm  #18

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many season ticket holders GW Men's basketball has? I've only been a season ticket holder since 2014 but it's hard to imagine there are all that many. Seems like it would be relatively simple to let season ticket holders pick their seats if they're limited to specific blocs based off of the price.

11/04/2021 3:39 pm  #19

At one point during the Hobbs era I believe GW had about 1,500 season tickets sold not including students, smaller ticket packages and group sales. I have no idea what the number is today but I'd be surprised if more than 1,000 and probably now less following the pandemic.

11/04/2021 6:43 pm  #20

Honestly, I was going to guess somewhere between 200-300 but I am basing that off of nothing except the attendance I normally see at home games.

Board footera