GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2021 9:27 pm  #81

Re: GW vs UMASS-Lowell Game Thread

gwsb14 wrote:

I have no doubt this team would play better if Bishop sat on the bench

I disagree. Bishop is great at drawing fouls that get him to the line and at bringing extra defensive attention that leaves someone else open. The problem is he does not make that pass to the open teammate often enough, and when he does not draw the foul he forces his shot. Coaching can correct both of those items.

11/19/2021 9:29 pm  #82

And I was a "family member" hater for saying 10 losses by (meant through) Dec. Just saw the writing on the wall

11/19/2021 9:29 pm  #83

First time back at the Smith Center. Had to see it with my own eyes.

First half I thought we looked good. Hit a bunch of threes and generally played good D. Second half was a west coast redux. Bad offense, really bad defense (how many wide open dunks did we give up?), and the wrong side of the officials.

I don’t really have any answers for what can be done. At some point the players just have to give a crap for their personal pride. Until then we’ll just get beat down like we have been.

I really don’t see an on-court difference between Mojo’s last team and this one except Mojo’s team didn’t have 4 BCS transfer starters.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/19/2021 9:31 pm)

11/19/2021 9:31 pm  #84

What do American, Morgan State, Hampton and UMass-Lowell have in common?  You guessed it, they all beat GW at the Smith Center in the past three years.  Our record the last three years, 12-20, 5-12, and 1-4. I'm beginning to think that maybe JC talks a good game, but really can't coach. Worst part is I don't see any changes coming in the next couple of years due to interim leadership at the top of GW. What has happened to my dear university!?!?!

11/19/2021 9:35 pm  #85

Who on this team can give a Mike Hall UNCW type speech to wake this team up?

11/19/2021 9:35 pm  #86

We are not even close with a double digit loss to a 270+ kenpom team that thrives on the 3 but went 3-21 against us (and 52% from the charity stripe).  If you were coach, what would you do to turn this ship around??

11/19/2021 9:37 pm  #87

After 54 games, what is the coach supposed to figure out? We're batting a "solid" .333 during that span. Unfortunately this is not baseball.

11/19/2021 9:38 pm  #88

We have so much BCS-level talent.
Wonder how much UMASS-Lowell, Cal State-Fullerton, UCSD, and St. Francis have?

11/19/2021 9:38 pm  #89

But the long plane flight home.  Three time zones!

Same as it ever was…….

11/19/2021 9:42 pm  #90

We just got a beat down from U.Mass———————-Lowell !!! At home.We have much better athletes.
Could it be coaching?

11/19/2021 9:42 pm  #91

4th game in 6 nights for UMass-Lowell, all away from home. They must have been tired.

11/19/2021 9:44 pm  #92

It is obviously coaching.  He brought in all of his own players, hand picked transfers and recruits.  There is no sign of improvement.  We are getting beat by lower tier teams, or teams we all believed to be lower tier.  This is an embarrassment to the school and A-10.  

Vogel's job should be on the line.  She shouldn't be in the position anyway, she only bubbled up to the position because she was there....but that is another story for another thread.  She and JC should be fired later in the season if there is no improvement.  This school has enough money to cover costs, salary, etc.  

11/19/2021 9:49 pm  #93

Really incredible to see a team fall apart like we did in the 2nd half where Bishop was abysmal handling the ball. He must've had 3 possessions in a row where he turned it over.

A few thoughts:

1. Defense was atrocious in the 2nd half. Looked like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. No rotation, no one would guard the guy rolling after doubling up top, consistently getting blown by on cuts because heads weren't on a swivle...some relatively basic stuff and things you do in practice.

2. Hard to win games when Adams and Bamasile go a combined 5-23. Adams was particularly invisible in the 2nd half. 

3. I'm not even sure what to say about Brown at this point. Seems like a good guy but there's just so much left to be desired. Zero awareness, slow movement, doesn't hold onto balls, not a good rebounder for someone of his size, not much of an offensive game...I'm just not sure what to do there. I don't want to be too hard on the kid but it seems he's overmatched at the D1 level. 

4. Probably the most obvious and least surprising thing of all, coaching is non-existant on this team. A 20 point swing in the 2nd half and zero adjustments? What was the offensive gameplan? Looked like they'd pass it around the perimeter and then hope someone could drive the ball or take a low percentage jump shot. How is it that no one on the coaching staff thought of calling ANY sort of play where someone could get open? Zero 3 pointers made in the 2nd half as well...all around just an atrocious night for the coaching staff

Here's to another long season

11/19/2021 10:33 pm  #94

You have to give Jamion Christian credit for consistency!

For the 3rd straight game, our team scored EXACTLY 10 points on our first 20 possessions of the second half.   It’s almost impossible to be that inefficient for the first 10-12 minutes of the second half, game after game. 

Also, Ricky Lindo killed us today.  He’s our best player, but today he was late on defense and couldn’t make a basket inside. Over and over he tried to score 1 on 3 on an iso and failed, and over and over he lost his man for a dunk.

But ok, he had a bad day.  That happens. But what should never happen is the coach not subbing a player out who so clearly needed a break.  You could see on Lindo’s face the frustration and him just him not being mentally there as things got bad, but never once in the second half did JC give him a breather to let him collect his head - and it got worse and worse.  Even the family member of another player was screaming to get Ricky off the court and give him a chance to get his head right.

We are a poorly coached team.  I’ve lost faith in JC. Love the guy, but the attention to detail just isn’t there and every team we’ve played moves the ball better and gets better shots than us.

2 other specific criticisms of JC tonight:
1) Freeman was the spark and the best player on the court, but only played 18 minutes.  When he was in the game, we were the aggressors, when he went out we played slowly and poorly and didn’t attack. There were stretches where we desperately needed him back out there, but JC was slow to make the change.

2) Our movement as a team on offense was terrible.  Everything seemed to be one on one (or one on three) or at best running s play for one guy with no apparent Plan B.   Our offense was at its best when all 5 guys were active and moving.

At any rate, we started the second half stagnant (as always) and to his credit, JC called a time out after 2 bad possessions. But out of the time out, we ran a set where (facing the basket) Lindo stood at the elbow on the right side just under the FT line and Qwanzi stood at her low post on the left side.  They were not really posting up looking for the ball, just standing there I guess for the other two off ball players (Joe and Brendan) to run around them and I guess get open that way. 

That meant we had 2 players standing still, one dribbling at top of the key and only 2 guys moving.  It also meant the lane was totally clogged because the standing still guys allowed two defenders to just hang out in/around the paint.

I don’t recall if we ran thst set in the first half but I was keenly aware of it in the second because we ran it multiple times and never scored.  Not only was it a bad set that didn’t free anyone up and clogged the lane, but it was wrong psychologically.  What we needed was all five guys moving and getting involved, but that set was designed to have only two guys move (and it left no one really in rebounding position and the lane clogged). 

I’m not sure how often we’ve run that set this season. I know it stunk in the second half today, but I’d love to know what the analytics say about our efficiency out of that set (especially without Freeman creating) because I suspect it’s an extremely inefficient set that needs to be retired.  Just very, very poor coaching.

Last edited by Free Quebec (11/19/2021 11:41 pm)

11/19/2021 10:49 pm  #95

GW in the first half over five games -> +8 point differential
GW in the second half over five games -> -58 point differential

We are getting outscored by nearly 12 points in the second half alone each game. I don't even know how that's possible. This tweet goes one further:

Matt Eisenberg @matteise 25m
For GW, it’s rinse & repeat. Over the last 40G, GW has lost the opening 10M of the 2H in 31 of 40G w/ a +/- of -179. In the last 25G, GW has been outscored 21 times, with an avg. deficit of 5.8 pts in the first 10M of the 2H. Jamion Christian HT adjustments are not working.

Like GW0509 I don't how much can be done except have the team care more and not try to boost individual stats. This team is clearly talented, but right now it feels like the pieces JC has recruited do not fit well with each other.

There were two changes in this game:
1) We slowed things down, which caused us to foul less. We were gambling less for steals.
2) We made an attempt to pass the ball more and use more of the shot clock. Unfortunately, that still didn't result in open shots so I don't know how it really made a difference. We also went back to the same team that played in California in the second half where it was all isolation ball so the passing really only lasted a half.

I believe last year Coach Bousley was handling the offense and Devlin was handling the defense, but this year it seems like Bousley has moved over to defense and now Atkins is coaching the offense. Not sure if this happens on other staffs. Whatever Eric Atkins is doing right now isn't working. This dribble handoff system is cramping floor space and guys just keep dribbling into traffic time after time. The rotations down low were poor defensively tonight, but overall the defense has improved from a year ago and I think Bousley has done a solid job.

There is no one on this roster that I can say definitively is a strong shooter from distance which will cause teams to just continue to zone us. As someone who is probably less hard on Bishop than most on the board, those two turnovers late in the second half where he just had the ball stripped from his hands warranted benching. The only problem is he is probably our best offensive weapon on a team that is lacking offensive firepower in the halfcourt. It was more infuriating that Bishop's body language suggested that the turnovers didn't really matter. The lack of depth is probably forcing JC's hand to not rest guys when they get frustrated.

Really liked the energy Brayon brought tonight. I wouldn't mind if JC just inserted him into the starting lineup starting next game. Maybe have Bishop come off the bench as an offensive spark plug to see whether things change. The current starting lineup is just not working. I honestly wish the team could just skip the Naples tournament and use the extra time to figure things out. Ricky was really forcing things tonight and struggled to get going. It might have been his worst game at GW. Bamisile is an exciting player but takes really poor shots at times...like those really contested midrange shots. It's painful to watch every team move the ball better than us game after game.

This team needs a leader in the worst way, and until they play like a team the results will remain the same. I wouldn't be surprised if our offensive efficiency was in the 300s at that point. For an A10 team, ranking that low on either end is a fireable offense honestly.

11/19/2021 11:10 pm  #96

I know people say to give JC more time, but this is atrocious.  What are we settling for here?  We would struggle against Div 2 teams right now.  Sorry, but the coach and AD need to go.  It’s difficult to think of starting over, but what do we have to lose?  Nothing.  

I just don’t know how anything will even happen.  There probably isn’t a lot of money on the table, and there is an interim President.  So we are stuck.  This is bad.

11/20/2021 12:15 am  #97

Is Daniel Nixon that unimpressive in practice that he can’t crack a lineup that goes just 8 deep (and with one of the 8 playing 7 minutes)?

11/20/2021 12:31 am  #98

danjsport wrote:

Is Daniel Nixon that unimpressive in practice that he can’t crack a lineup that goes just 8 deep (and with one of the 8 playing 7 minutes)?

My understanding is that he’s pretty impressive, but he’s still adjusting and they expect he will contribute later in the year or next year.  They are intentionally bringing him along slowly.

11/20/2021 6:49 am  #99

I am not Matt Eisenberg, @matteise, but we sound alike re: halftime adjustments

11/20/2021 7:12 am  #100

How many times will this school get in a situation where it hires a coach long term and can't afford to fire him?  I guess the sky is the limit!

Board footera